Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2325Likes

post #6061 of 7903 Old 08-24-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Shoot! Getcha plane ticket to Asheville then dude! Our little orchestral hall they are performing in should be a killer spot to enjoy their type of music.

That was my thought too, so the first thing I did was check the calendar. No can do in the middle of the week unfortunately. Let me know what you think of Mangini, Portnoy was the most entertaining drummer I have ever seen live by a wide margin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Hey guys,

If any of you have, or hear about any decent deals on amplifiers...

I'm looking for a 2-4 channel amp to ideally power my LCR (DIY 1099s). If they end up being to sensitive and hissing, then I will demote the amp to surround back and atmos back. Ideally it would be around 100W/channel 8ohm. Hoping to spend $100-200. Ended up buying a avr x4300h when people were dropping them down to $800, so just need a couple channels externally amplified to get the full 7.2.4.

Thanks

Edit: I should add that if I were to just skip directly to powering those back speakers, I wouldn't need 100W/ch there. Haven't really calculated how much I would need. Those speakers will probably be volt 10s or volt 8s.

Last edited by sigma722; 08-28-2017 at 07:29 AM.
post #6063 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
So that didn't work, the SNES classic is now sold out everywhere....just like the NES did last year, but this time was even worse. BB and Amazon released their stock at 4am yesterday morning and within 20 minutes both were sold out, which is absolute garbage as you know the bots scooped them all before any sane human even had the chance to wake up at a normal hour and attempt to order one.

I'm running into this almost every time I am trying to get popular concert tickets or comedy shows too. I have literally lost out on the last THREE things I've tried to go to due to websites crashing or bots buying out all tickets only to scalp them. I DID manage to get three presale tickets to Dream Theater when they come through end of November though @carp . I missed out on them last time they came through Asheville, I was NOT going to make the same mistake again
I feel your pain. The thread I am following on neogaf is appropriately named "SNES Classic Preorder *****Show discussion". All of the game stops that I could reasonably drive to were sold out by noon. And I was able to put the thing in my cart at game stop (app) and target and think geek. But, none of them went through bc of the traffic and the bots doing multiple orders made it impossible for me to get one.

Nintendo needs to acknowledge this strategy of limiting supply is hurting the real fans. Making scalpers too much money. It is taking the fun out of something that is meant for people who have most likely been supporting Nintendo for more than 30 years now. Is it too much to ask for them to make enough of these to cover the gamers who have been with them since 1985?

I missed out on the NES Classic too. Tried and failed. Many times. I want the SNES Classic even worse.

A few weeks ago I had @JDontee and @sigma722 over for a Retropie build. So I guess that means I have zero confidence that Nintendo will make this right. I would rather have the real thing. But, here I am begging Nintendo to take my money and they refuse. Call me a jilted bride.

Anyways there are ways around being forced to play Nintendo's absurd game with the scalpers. I played through Contra the other night (yes I had to use the code) and it was a blast. I can't to play more of these games that have been burned into my brain.

I'm going to back up my entire library of retro games. It is just not feasible to have my old consoles hooked up and they look awful on modern HDTV's anyhow.
sigma722 and beastaudio like this.

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 08-28-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Game Stop did say they would have more available for walk-ins at launch. And Toys R Us ended up not doing preorders at all. Still a chance.
I am thinking about going to Gamestop and Toys R Us on launch day but I work that day so unless they do a midnight release I am probably hosed. And even then I would have to commit to many many hours in line.

I think I will just follow an in stock tracker and do my best.
post #6065 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
I got in on a gamestop preorder, but will be out of the country for release day and a couple days after. So..... Hopefully they let someone pick mine up in my stead.
What store is that? If it is close enough to me I can pick it up for you. I'm assuming you already have someone but if they fall through I should be in town.
post #6066 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 2-4 channel amp to ideally power my LCR (DIY 1099s). If they end up being to sensitive and hissing, then I will demote the amp to surround back and atmos back. Ideally it would be around 100W/channel 8ohm. Hoping to spend $100-200. Ended up buying a avr x4300h when people were dropping them down to $800, so just need a couple channels externally amplified to get the full 7.2.4.

Thanks

Edit: I should add that if I were to just skip directly to powering those back speakers, I wouldn't need 100W/ch there. Haven't really calculated how much I would need. Those speakers will probably be volt 10s or volt 8s.
I know we had talked about this before but I get hiss out of every external amplifier I have tried. Adjusting gains can help but it is still audible from MLP when the room is totally silent. So I use the Behringer A500 for my 2 rear immersive audio channels not covered by the Denon x7200. Cheap amp that does the job. The gain controls are easy to use for matching and it is rack mountable. There is hiss introduced with this approach but it is less than I get with my R and L channels. And it is barely audible if at all at the MLP.
post #6067 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

I use 5 Marantz MA-700 Mono Blocks for my L/C/R and side surrounds I don't notice to much hissing out of them. The 700 is 200 watts and the MA-500 is 100 watts and there are some on ebay for sale for under $200 each. I have had mine for over 20 years and they are still going strong.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6068 of 7903 Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I know we had talked about this before but I get hiss out of every external amplifier I have tried. Adjusting gains can help but it is still audible from MLP when the room is totally silent. So I use the Behringer A500 for my 2 rear immersive audio channels not covered by the Denon x7200. Cheap amp that does the job. The gain controls are easy to use for matching and it is rack mountable. There is hiss introduced with this approach but it is less than I get with my R and L channels. And it is barely audible if at all at the MLP.
Yep, me too. That's why I'm using nothing but my avr from here on out - except for those 2 extra atmos channels. With speakers as sensitive as ours it's silly to use a separate amp.

I'm kind of in a good place with my room. I haven't made any upgrades since December. For me that's a long time. In addition to that I use the room a lot so it's not like I'm losing interest in the hobby, instead I'm losing interest in making changes. I think I've finally made it to a point where I'm happy/satisfied with what I have. I'll know that's the case if I go a full year without changing anything because I don't think I have ever done that since we bought the house 15 years ago. These days it's all about enjoying content. Finally.
chirpie likes this.
post #6069 of 7903 Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yep, me too. That's why I'm using nothing but my avr from here on out - except for those 2 extra atmos channels. With speakers as sensitive as ours it's silly to use a separate amp.
What are you using for your 2 extra atmos?

Quote:
These days it's all about enjoying content. Finally.
I want to be there so bad.
post #6070 of 7903 Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:

An old Yamaha AVR with pre out/main ins.
post #6071 of 7903 Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I'm using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZS...h7L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
post #6072 of 7903 Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
I think I've finally made it to a point where I'm happy/satisfied with what I have.
Feels odd doesn't it? Honestly I was talking to another guy about building something out cuz I just have the itch to make some sawdust but I have no need to make changes at this point either and it kinda bugs me....
chirpie likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6073 of 7903 Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Feels odd doesn't it? Honestly I was talking to another guy about building something out cuz I just have the itch to make some sawdust but I have no need to make changes at this point either and it kinda bugs me....
It does but it's a good odd!

Hmmm if I remember right you have higher ceilings than mine? What about building a flimsy riser for the seating area to defeat the concrete floor once and for all?
The only reason I bring it up is that I have always wanted to do it but can't because my feet would block a part of the screen when I recline.

On second thought maybe it's not such a good idea to give each other ideas for making changes since we are happy with what we have.
post #6074 of 7903 Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM

I just read that Dunkirk is in multiple aspect ratios. GD-it.
post #6075 of 7903 Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just read that Dunkirk is in multiple aspect ratios. GD-it.
It's like 85% IMAX aspect ratio though, so even if they were rounding it wouldn't be a full screen feature for you.. Still annoying.
post #6076 of 7903 Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
It does but it's a good odd!

Hmmm if I remember right you have higher ceilings than mine? What about building a flimsy riser for the seating area to defeat the concrete floor once and for all?
The only reason I bring it up is that I have always wanted to do it but can't because my feet would block a part of the screen when I recline.

On second thought maybe it's not such a good idea to give each other ideas for making changes since we are happy with what we have.
Yea that wont be happening. The rear riser is already too low so building another to put the front row chairs on would require a complete redo. Not happenin'

BTW I heard this am on XM that Metallica is remastering puppets, along with releasing it with some other really cool stuff with the disc! Not sure if you have heard about that yet or not.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6077 of 7903 Old 08-31-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It's like 85% IMAX aspect ratio though, so even if they were rounding it wouldn't be a full screen feature for you.. Still annoying.
Aww man that's even worse. I'd much rather it be scope most of the time and then be off the screen (can't see the top part since I block with a piece of velvet that hangs a few feet in front of the projector) for part of the movie. Oh well... I'll survive somehow.

Quote:
Yea that wont be happening. The rear riser is already too low so building another to put the front row chairs on would require a complete redo. Not happenin'

BTW I heard this am on XM that Metallica is remastering puppets, along with releasing it with some other really cool stuff with the disc! Not sure if you have heard about that yet or not.
Not happening here either, but it's been in the back of my mind ever since I experienced @Luke Kamp 's flimsy riser.

They are remastering their albums at a time, I've heard the first two and knew that Puppets would be done sometime soon. Kill 'em All does sound different and IMO better but not a massive difference which is a good thing. RTL sounds a lot more similar to the original, and IMO it didn't need any improving. What will really be interesting is when they get to Justice. I might be the only person ever that LOVES how Justice sounds. The tone/production of the dry and in your face crunchy guitars just does it for me. If they could preserve that and add a touch of Jason's bass that could be really interesting. I've heard the youtube attempts to add bass and don't like them because they add too much bass guitar.

Cool, I'll be looking out for MOP!
sigma722 likes this.
post #6078 of 7903 Old 08-31-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aww man that's even worse. I'd much rather it be scope most of the time and then be off the screen (can't see the top part since I block with a piece of velvet that hangs a few feet in front of the projector) for part of the movie. Oh well... I'll survive somehow.
I'm sure the bass will keep you going if the aspect ratio almost gets ya.
carp likes this.
post #6079 of 7903 Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@carp and others. Try this work around in chrome to view your Photobucket photos.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj
carp, ChldsPlay and sigma722 like this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #6080 of 7903 Old 09-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
@carp and others. Try this work around in chrome to view your Photobucket photos.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj
Woah!!! Thanks a ton, all my pictures are back!
post #6081 of 7903 Old 09-05-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Woah!!! Thanks a ton, all my pictures are back!
Your welcome, but I can't take the credit for finding it. I got it from @scottyroo that posted it [email protected]'s current build thread with link. We will see how long it last. It is nice seeing build photos again.
scottyroo likes this.

post #6082 of 7903 Old 09-07-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Hi guys. First let me apologize for this being a sales post since those always have a little bit of the used car salesman vibe.

After seeing some of the demos this spring I decided to pull the trigger on an RS520. So that means my old JVC RS46 is up for sale. I'm trying to sell it to someone within a reasonable distance so I can avoid shipping it off to who knows where. The projector has about 1000 hrs on it and I'm including a 25' HDMI cable and Darbee Darblet (I was thinking $1300 for everything). So if you know of anyone in the area that is trying to get into projection or wants a very nice 2K unit shoot me a PM. I'm willing to throw it in the car and deliver it. DesertDome may also be willing to make a deal with the buyer on a mount and calibration too.

One more thing, if anyone is looking for a JVC DLA-X770R (RS520) PM Deewan he has one brand new in the box he's letting go for a very attractive price. He's in Cedar Rapids.

Again I apologize for what's basically an infomercial post :P But not a lot of folks with our particular sickness around to be interested in this stuff.

post #6083 of 7903 Old 09-09-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Anyone in the area happen to have Skyward Sword on the Wii that they'd be willing to let me borrow? Mine is freezing up where I am at in the game, so I can't finish.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #6084 of 7903 Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Looks like Nintendo has changed their tune and they will now be releasing the SNES classic beyond 2017. And it appears they'll bring back the NES Classic sometime in 2018 as well.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #6085 of 7903 Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Paul and from Sedalia but now live in Columbia. Still pretty close to kc I'm new to the hobby, just got married and bought our first house so I get to start on my theater. It's not a dedicated room but it's what I got to work with. Ill start by working on a false wall, diysoundgroup htm12s up front and maybe volts for surrounds. I want to jump on the um18s when they are back in stock or maybe go with the si18s v2s. I look forward to the build and maybe I'll have some questions for some of you along the way. Anyone got tips for a false wall let me know. I'm dealing with a bulkhead ceiling and windows 20" from the wall I'm building out from. Going to be interesting lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
post #6086 of 7903 Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis9 View Post
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Paul and from Sedalia but now live in Columbia. Still pretty close to kc I'm new to the hobby, just got married and bought our first house so I get to start on my theater. It's not a dedicated room but it's what I got to work with. Ill start by working on a false wall, diysoundgroup htm12s up front and maybe volts for surrounds. I want to jump on the um18s when they are back in stock or maybe go with the si18s v2s. I look forward to the build and maybe I'll have some questions for some of you along the way. Anyone got tips for a false wall let me know. I'm dealing with a bulkhead ceiling and windows 20" from the wall I'm building out from. Going to be interesting lol.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on your way. Some builds on faulse walls for the front a person to ask about them @BIGmouthinDC . As I sure some others with chime in from our area. I not built one yet, but a simple drawing of what you have and what you are trying to do would help. Pictures as well. Is the bulkhead and windows to one side of the wall or behind it?

Doug

post #6087 of 7903 Old 09-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on your way. Some builds on faulse walls for the front a person to ask about them @BIGmouthinDC . As I sure some others with chime in from our area. I not built one yet, but a simple drawing of what you have and what you are trying to do would help. Pictures as well. Is the bulkhead and windows to one side of the wall or behind it?

Doug
Hey there. Yes he has chimed in and helped on how to panel it. Here is a pic of what I'm working with then also a couple plans I've been sent by people suggesting how to work around this wall.
post #6088 of 7903 Old 09-16-2017, 08:39 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

I built one in to that shape. Lcr behind the screen. Subs and gear in the cabinets

chirpie and femi like this.
post #6089 of 7903 Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I built one in to that shape. Lcr behind the screen. Subs and gear in the cabinets

Amazing man!

post #6090 of 7903 Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Doug, how is you basement build going?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page