Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2324Likes

post #6151 of 7898 Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
You don't need the Fury or the Panasonic. One customer in Omaha with the Epson 5040UB had both and sold the Panasonic because he liked the short load times of the OPPO better. I've calibrated several Epson 5040UB with a custom HDR gamma curve and the only reason to not use HDR is if you don't have enough gain from your screen or haven't had a professional calibration. I think @Oledurt has posted most of the settings I used for his 5040UB in the Official 5040UB thread.

@jedimastergrant , you need a screen with higher gain to get the best out of HDR. I can see if I can upgrade you to the new NEO fabric from Seymour Screen Excellence. I now use Arve's tool for a custom HDR gamma curve for the JVC projectors. It basically makes the JVC projector perfect for watching HDR.

I'm going to the first ever ISF Level III training being held at Sony's headquarters in San Diego next month (Nov 7-9). It focuses just on UHD and HDR including signal chain, tone mapping, and calibration techniques.

I've read about a lot of people that have had both players, and almost all preferred the Panasonic. It's only 450 now so I figured I'd try it. The skipping issue has gotten a lot better with each firmware upgrade, but it still happens on 4K disks sometimes with the Oppo and I'm tired of it.

I use Oledurt's bright cinema settings, I saw him post a few times that you calibrated his projector.

How much is that NEO fabric?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 7898 Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
How much is that NEO fabric?
It is only sold through Seymour Screen Excellence with a complete frame. These are sold through dealers, but the price is the same for all their fabrics. Consequently, I don't have a price on the fabric alone. Since Grant has a Seymour Screen Excellence frame (I think) with the Enlightor 4K material, I may be able get him just the fabric as an upgrade.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #6153 of 7898 Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
It is only sold through Seymour Screen Excellence with a complete frame. These are sold through dealers, but the price is the same for all their fabrics. Consequently, I don't have a price on the fabric alone. Since Grant has a Seymour Screen Excellence frame (I think) with the Enlightor 4K material, I may be able get him just the fabric as an upgrade.
I thought he had the XD material, which would actually be one .1 step down in gain if he went to NEO. I have to agree though, when I had the rs500 the integral was mainly required if you didn't have a calibration done. Grant, if you need a fury integral, I have one I can sell you as I no longer need it.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I thought he had the XD material, which would actually be one .1 step down in gain if he went to NEO. I have to agree though, when I had the rs500 the integral was mainly required if you didn't have a calibration done. Grant, if you need a fury integral, I have one I can sell you as I no longer need it.
I helped install the screen. It is Enlightor 4K.

Also from the February 2017 - KC GTG thread:
jedimastergrant
  • AVR or Pre-Pro - Denon X7200wa, DBX DriveRack PA2 for subwoofer integration
  • Speakers - LCR JTR 212HT, Base Layer- (4) JTR S8 Slanted LP/Height Layer for Immersive Audio (4) JBL SCS 8
  • Speaker Amplifiers - Behringer A500 for (2) overheads not covered by X7200
  • Video Source/Screen - JVC RS520 / 110'' wide 2.35:1 Enlightor 4K with Seymour AV frame and masking panels
  • Subwoofers - (2) JTR Orbit Shifter LF

What PJ do you have now?

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
post #6155 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Riding Solo to SW8 Barrywoods 12:30pm showing seat k12 on the 15th if anyone wants join as the seats beside are open.
Archaea likes this.
post #6156 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Riding Solo to SW8 Barrywoods 12:30pm showing seat k12 on the 15th if anyone wants join as the seats beside are open.
I wish I could plan that far ahead, but my wife would want to go as well and can't get off on a Friday. Wonder if this would be ok for a 8 year old to see. We took our son to the SW7, but not till we seen it first.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6157 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I helped install the screen. It is Enlightor 4K.

Also from the February 2017 - KC GTG thread:
jedimastergrant
  • AVR or Pre-Pro - Denon X7200wa, DBX DriveRack PA2 for subwoofer integration
  • Speakers - LCR JTR 212HT, Base Layer- (4) JTR S8 Slanted LP/Height Layer for Immersive Audio (4) JBL SCS 8
  • Speaker Amplifiers - Behringer A500 for (2) overheads not covered by X7200
  • Video Source/Screen - JVC RS520 / 110'' wide 2.35:1 Enlightor 4K with Seymour AV frame and masking panels
  • Subwoofers - (2) JTR Orbit Shifter LF

What PJ do you have now?
gotcha... I am running the rs520 still. Hoping to get a replacement with the CMD fix since I've been hounding them since I bought it about the problem.

post #6158 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I wish I could plan that far ahead, but my wife would want to go as well and can't get off on a Friday. Wonder if this would be ok for a 8 year old to see. We took our son to the SW7, but not till we seen it first.
No it is not kid friendly. IMO Lots of nudity. ect.

JVC RS420 with 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 WAB AT screen
Denon x4300h 7.1.4 Atmos
LG 4K HDR Blu ray player
Paradigm 11v7 LCR, Polk T60 tower surrounds, 80i ceiling and 2 JTR Orbital Shifters
Xbox One X and ATV 4K
post #6159 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 02:44 PM

@JDontee

I know I've asked you this before and I know you answered but I can't find it in any email or text or PM.

So, JD or anyone else that knows, what is a good option for a light/dimmer switch that can be controlled from my Harmony Elite remote? I'm not looking for something that can be controlled with my phone, I never use that as a remote.

I really like my bulbs (old school halogen, bought a bunch when they were phasing them out) so I don't want to buy a bulb that dims remotely, I need a switch that dims/turns off remotely.

thanks!
post #6160 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I use ge z wave switches with a smartthings hub and my harmony hub. They are all integrated. I'm not sure what switches are directly compatible, but I think Logitech may have a list on their website. I use the smartthings hub for a lot of things at my house.
carp likes this.
post #6161 of 7898 Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Cool, thanks, looking into it.
post #6162 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN-NE1 View Post
No it is not kid friendly. IMO Lots of nudity. ect.
I take it you are kidding, I have never seen nudity in a Star Wars movie. The only thing close was Leia slave girl outfit. To late, I bought tickets already.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #6163 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I take it you are kidding, I have never seen nudity in a Star Wars movie. The only thing close was Leia slave girl outfit. To late, I bought tickets already.
Sorry now that makes sense I thought you meant Blade runner...

JVC RS420 with 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 WAB AT screen
Denon x4300h 7.1.4 Atmos
LG 4K HDR Blu ray player
Paradigm 11v7 LCR, Polk T60 tower surrounds, 80i ceiling and 2 JTR Orbital Shifters
Xbox One X and ATV 4K
post #6164 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN-NE1 View Post
Sorry now that makes sense I thought you meant Blade runner...
Sorry for the confusion and that's I thought might be the movie you were thinking of. He defiantly isn't seeing that for a while. I may go see Blade runner it by myself this weekend since my wife and kid are out of town.

post #6165 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Thanks Beast. Let me weigh my options with the hdr/player/screen/fury combinations. I only notice problems with brightness on a few discs that seem to have authoring problems like Arrival.

It seems like it would be nice to have hdr 10 plus dynamic meta data and projectors that could handle that sort of thing.

Or possibly better yet a completely different authoring similar to what the commercial cinema gets with lower nits in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6166 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@JDontee

I know I've asked you this before and I know you answered but I can't find it in any email or text or PM.

So, JD or anyone else that knows, what is a good option for a light/dimmer switch that can be controlled from my Harmony Elite remote? I'm not looking for something that can be controlled with my phone, I never use that as a remote.

I really like my bulbs (old school halogen, bought a bunch when they were phasing them out) so I don't want to buy a bulb that dims remotely, I need a switch that dims/turns off remotely.

thanks!

I use insteon switches and it was a piece of cake to get it all set up with macros for my whole zoned lighting set up using my harmony elite with the hub.

post #6167 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I could be interested in that depending on what the gain actually is and the cost. Like you said since I have the Seymour av aluminum frame with grip tension system it might be an option to just buy the fabric.

So has the fabric been tested by a third party for the actual gain? Or color uniformity?

I think the stated gain of the en4k was originally 1.0 and has since dropped to 0.9. However when tested by third parties it was between 0.7 and 0.8?

My close seating distance is unforgiving for screen material so I would need to do a test piece to look for sparkles and patterns.

So if the material offers an additional 10-20 percent more brightness with no drawbacks I am definitely in the market.

post #6168 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
@JDontee

thanks!
I use the phillips hue system and it is wonderful from a control standpoint. The wall switches for them are magnetic so you can pull the remote right off the wall when you want to have it next to you while you are seated. Hitting the on button subsequent times brings up different "scenes" that you can program. SO for my theater, one push is lights all the way on from off, second push is all lights front of theater off, with rear row and bar only on low, third push is "sports" mode with all lights on low, fourth push is music mode with lights low and behind screen lights on blue light setting, etc.... It's pretty cool, but I keep burning out bulbs for some reason. just have to send them back to phillips for replacement, so I have a few extra as the white bulbs are only $15/unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Thanks Beast. Let me weigh my options with the hdr/player/screen/fury combinations. I only notice problems with brightness on a few discs that seem to have authoring problems like Arrival.

It seems like it would be nice to have hdr 10 plus dynamic meta data and projectors that could handle that sort of thing.

Or possibly better yet a completely different authoring similar to what the commercial cinema gets with lower nits in mind.

The Panny has a dynamic range slider for HDR content that is quite nice to bring movies like arrival "back into the light" so to speak. I use it most of the time actually.

Quote:
I could be interested in that depending on what the gain actually is and the cost. Like you said since I have the Seymour av aluminum frame with grip tension system it might be an option to just buy the fabric.

So has the fabric been tested by a third party for the actual gain? Or color uniformity?

I think the stated gain of the en4k was originally 1.0 and has since dropped to 0.9. However when tested by third parties it was between 0.7 and 0.8?

My close seating distance is unforgiving for screen material so I would need to do a test piece to look for sparkles and patterns.

So if the material offers an additional 10-20 percent more brightness with no drawbacks I am definitely in the market.

I have samples of each of the enlightor materials where the NEO fits firmly in gain between the enlightor 4k and the enlightor bright (XD). You won't find any drawbacks with the NEO, it's a really good material option.

post #6169 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
One of the cooler things you may watch today (especially you guys that can watch it in 4k):

chirpie and Archaea like this.
post #6170 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lutron Caseta works with the Harmony Elite, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant. The Starter Kit gets you going with one switch and then you can add switches around the house. If you also get a NEST home/away assistant, it will automatically turn Caseta lights on/off to make it look like you are home when on vacation, etc.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
post #6171 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=beastaudio;54935250

The Panny has a dynamic range slider for HDR content that is quite nice to bring movies like arrival "back into the light" so to speak. I use it most of the time actually.

[/QUOTE]

^ This.

People in the 203 vs. 900 thread that have had both players ALL say this is the main reason why the 900 is better. I got tired of reading that over and over...

I haven't tried it yet but plan to this weekend.
post #6172 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the ideas on lightning guys, doing some looking....
post #6173 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 06:23 PM

@jedimastergrant is this what you use?

https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-Switc.../dp/B003ZTVZ0W

Wow, that's cheap!

I see there is a 1000 watt option for 20 more bucks. I don't think I need that with just having 4 cans running off that switch.
post #6174 of 7898 Old 10-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Also, can these be controlled by RF without having to have a hub or mini blaster close to the switches? I'm not on a line of sight to the switches so IR won't work.
post #6175 of 7898 Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lutron Caseta works with the Harmony Elite, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant. The Starter Kit gets you going with one switch and then you can add switches around the house. If you also get a NEST home/away assistant, it will automatically turn Caseta lights on/off to make it look like you are home when on vacation, etc.
I like this and need to look into this for our whole house. I have some older Lutron switches, but they won't work it though. I also have a Nest 2nd generation thermostat, I wounder if I would have to upgrade to the third gen. The local power company is giving you $50 if install a 3rd gen Nest Thermostat and a break on your bill supposedly. This would help with my wife and kid who both leave lights on all the time.

post #6176 of 7898 Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, can these be controlled by RF without having to have a hub or mini blaster close to the switches? I'm not on a line of sight to the switches so IR won't work.

Yeah I use a few of those along with a larger switch to control several zones.

It can be controlled with rf. The harmony remote does not need line of site and uses the hub.

post #6177 of 7898 Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah I use a few of those along with a larger switch to control several zones.

It can be controlled with rf. The harmony remote does not need line of site and uses the hub.

Sent you a text, thanks man.
post #6178 of 7898 Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
(Coming back up for air...)

So I'm moved. Man, what a lousy experience. The lender dropped the ball so bad. We were on the phone every day for 5 days solid. It delayed our closing by a whole week. Our title loan officer said it was the most incompetent bungling she'd seen in her 3 decades on the job.

Got into the new house, tore out carpet immediately in the master bedroom and walk in closet and put in hardwoods myself. (Saved me $2,000 after my own expenses vs the builder.) Wired a bunch of new lights, installed 6 ceiling fans, reupholstered chairs, etc. Moved crap into house. Turn around, go back to old house, tear out front wall of theater room, paint the bed rooms, redo trim, etc. Two weeks of 7am to 1am. I'm so happy to back to work today. LOL.

I literally dropped everything I was doing on Saturday the 7th, and went to see Blade Runner 2049 with my brother and his wife at Barrywoods 24. Something was seriously wrong with the HDR encoding on the previews. The "yes the projector is still on" looked awful.

Thankfully the movie itself looked fine. No, it looked amazing. One of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. I don't know how other people reacted to the pacing of the movie, I've heard some say it dragged too much for them, but it was one of the best times I'd ever had at the movies. There were a few times where everything just "clicked" and I felt a tinge of awe. A movie hadn't done that to me since the 90's. I'm truly bummed it bombed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8271.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2299130  
jedimastergrant, femi and Ladeback like this.
post #6179 of 7898 Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Congrats getting in to the new house. It's a bad enough having to deal with purchasing a new house when everything is smooth - I can't even imagine your frustration. We are closing on a lake cabin next week and I'm starting to stress about everything happening the way it is supposed to. Well, I've been stressing about it the last 51 days, but who's counting ulcers?
post #6180 of 7898 Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@chirpie ,

Congrats and glad to here you are in your new house and sorry you had a difficult time with your lender. You would think if they have been in business for a while it should go pretty smooth, but guess it doesn't at times.

So you tore out the theater wall in you old house. I take it you not going to leave it after all?

When will you be getting going on your new build? Looking forward to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page