Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2324Likes

post #6211 of 7901 Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
So I come here to humbly request admittance into the cool kids club.

Attached is my KC Cool Kids Club Application Form...
You are approved on a probationary period until you post pictures of your LCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 7901 Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
post #6213 of 7901 Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I wish they were...just 6 humble HT18D2s in 4cf sealed enclosures (the rear corner subs were custom built by me while the cubes are DIYSG flat packs)

Theater will be 3 JTR Triple 8s (2010 model) for LCR, 6 DIYSG Volt 8LXs for side and rear surround (still debating between 2 side surround rows or wides with 1 row of side surrounds) and 4 DIYSG Volt 6LXs in Atmos sealed enclosures for...duh...Atmos. Hehe.

Per @JDontee instructions, attached is the application addendum...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCRs.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2301712  
chirpie and carp like this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6214 of 7901 Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I wish they were...just 6 humble HT18D2s in 4cf sealed enclosures (the rear corner subs were custom built by me while the cubes are DIYSG flat packs)

Theater will be 3 JTR Triple 8s (2010 model) for LCR, 6 DIYSG Volt 8LXs for side and rear surround (still debating between 2 side surround rows or wides with 1 row of side surrounds) and 4 DIYSG Volt 6LXs in Atmos sealed enclosures for...duh...Atmos. Hehe.

Per @JDontee instructions, attached is the application addendum...
You got my vote.
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #6215 of 7901 Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
JTR Orbit Shifter LF's for sale. $1500 each.

103db at 2.83V, outdoors, ground plane, 1 meter
25-100hz +/-1db outdoors, ground plane
30" tall, 22.5" deep, 45" wide (mouth on 30" x 22.5" side)
177 lbs
Retail - $3999
Direct - $3499

I am selling my dual OS LF's and I would like to do it locally to avoid shipping. These units were the first Orbit Shifters delivered to AVS user RMK in 2010. I bought them from a friend of his earlier this year. They are the first design with the mouth of the horn exiting on the end. The LFU version that I bought later has the mouth of the horn exiting from the side. I still have my old LFU and I am going to try to find a match for it. The space behind my false wall is very tight and my room is not very wide. So the upright version gives me more placement options. Other than that I am extremely happy with the product and my plan is to stay with an Orbit Shifter for bass reproduction as long as I can find a unit that was made before Jeff changed the design again to the current units.

Micheal @desertdome calibrated these subs and noticed that one of the amps had a different DSP programmed into it and was making a whirring sound intermittently. I removed both amps and sent them to Speaker Power to have them looked at and both reprogrammed for the appropriate DSP. They are functioning perfectly now. They are very hight quality amps rated for 4000 watt RMS and 7200 watt peaks and Jeff does a great job of taking care of his customers.

I think the buyer should get both of them from me because the OS really benefits from having duals and you will get a much smoother response. One is probably plenty for most people in the frequencies that really matter but the overall response will be smoother with 2.

The output is pretty insane. When compared with the new Captivator 4000 ULF they almost tie at 25 and 31.5 Hz. Then at 40, 50, 63, and 80 the Orbit Shifter bests the 4000 ULF. And if you are worried about the low end then the 16 Hz output is still 101.5 db so there is plenty to work with. If you care more about single digit performance then there are other units better suited.

Here is the link to a chart put together from Data-Bass and a few other sources that demonstrates the output. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...5&d=1494018983

And here is the test from Data-Bass. The LFU design is very similar to the LF design and should not deviate substantially. I confirmed this with Jeff over the phone before I made the purchase. http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=123

This is the link to the original post in the JTR forum made by Jeff about the new horn design. The pictures have expired thanks to photo bucket. https://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.c...ter-lf-4700464

If you have the room for these subs and are willing to slide them around till you get the perfect response I think you will be very happy. I am only 6-12'' from perfect placement but just can't quite make it work. If you want to demo over at my place then feel free. Even less than perfect placement these subs sound fantastic and can absolutely destroy my foundation. Maybe I should have a movie night for those interested. I am not in a huge hurry to sell but I wanted to put it out there for local guys first. Then after a bit I will make an official for sale thread in the classifieds. Most likely the classified thread will be for $3000 plus an additional $250 for shipping. That is close what I paid to have them shipped here.

The best thing about these subs is truly the sound quality. It is more special than the output in my opinion.

And you will not need butt kickers with these. Or a near field. Just think of the savings! Ha!

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 10-23-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #6216 of 7901 Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Here are a few pics of them behind my false wall. Sorry I don’t have better pics it is pretty dark back there but I can try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6217 of 7901 Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5321
Wow. One of you guys need to be all over this deal... I tried buying these direct from RMK! Way back when and missed it by two hours.
jedimastergrant likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6218 of 7901 Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Damn... my friend is building a HT room and I just had him buy 2 118 Pro's. They are very nice and all... but OS's they ain't.

So what are you doing Grant, just sticking to your original LFU? Something else?
post #6219 of 7901 Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Damn... my friend is building a HT room and I just had him buy 2 118 Pro's. They are very nice and all... but OS's they ain't.

So what are you doing Grant, just sticking to your original LFU? Something else?
Well, my tentative plan is to add another LFU of the same model. That may be hard to do since Jeff has changed the design slightly here and there. But, that would give me more placement options.

At this point in the game I still like the way the horn sounds in my room compared to everything else I have had in there. Although it is missing ULF.

I have been peeking at the ZOD Audio Skhorn that Beast has but I think I would need to run them with one port open to get more output than the LFU down low. And it may be under ported in that mode? So I may not actually gain anything there. Still checking.
carp likes this.

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 10-26-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #6220 of 7901 Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 AM

I think I'm going to sell a pair of SCS8's if anyone is interested. 500 for the pair including the brackets.
post #6221 of 7901 Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

What's up? Going to 2 Atmos?

I need a couple of speakers for a general TV room and am looking at the DIY called the Finalist that are around $700 for the kit. People say that they sound great without a sub, which would be ideal. Has anybody heard these? I have subs all over the place, so I could use one of those if I need to. The JTR 210s would be ideal, but they are going in the HT and way over budget for another pair. Does anyone have a pair of decent speakers needing a new home?
post #6222 of 7901 Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM

I was running an extra pair of side surrounds for the past year. I got tired of how much room extra room one of them took up over by the bar table so I'm back to the standard 1 pair of side surrounds and 1 pair of rear surrounds, all 4 are SCS8's.

I already had Atmos, I did sell my ceiling SCS8's to a friend and am now using some RSL in ceiling speakers. The trade-off of not matching SCS8's is trumped by the fact that the in ceiling speakers are higher up. The sounds are more above me than before so I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by carp; 11-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
post #6223 of 7901 Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Anyone tried the Sinemia subscription service? It's similar to moviepass, but has some advantages/disadvantages.

Moviepass gives you 1 movie a day for as many movies as you want. However, you can't buy tickets for any premium showing. No 3D, no IMAX, no Dolby, etc. You also have to buy the ticket on the day you want to watch and have to be at the theater to do it (You can do a workaround on this, but it's against the ToS).

Sinemia only gives you 2 movies a month, but they can be used for any showing, including IMAX and Dolby. There is also no restriction on buying it the day you see it, or buying it at the theater. So you can see something at the Dolby Cinema and buy the ticket ahead of time (The day you see the movie is the when it counts against your subscription - i.e. if you order a ticket today for something that shows in December, it counts against your 2 movies in December, not November).

Both of the subscriptions are 9.99 a month (For Sinemia use promo code Winter to avoid the annual commitment). I've been using moviepass the last month or so, and it's worked well, but can be a pain, especially with almost every theater in the area being reserved seating now. And it sucks you can't use it for the premier theaters. Considering how much most of us prefer the Dolby screens when we can, and how prime seating is important, Sinemia offers something as well.

I went ahead and signed up for 2 subscriptions for Sinemia today to see how I like it. Two showings at a Dolby screen for $10 is a pretty good deal, as long as it works, and I can get away twice in a month. Even once is still a pretty good price.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #6224 of 7901 Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Both of the subscriptions are 9.99 a month (For Sinemia use promo code Winter to avoid the annual commitment). I've been using moviepass the last month or so, and it's worked well, but can be a pain, especially with almost every theater in the area being reserved seating now. And it sucks you can't use it for the premier theaters. Considering how much most of us prefer the Dolby screens when we can, and how prime seating is important, Sinemia offers something as well.
Damn. That is awesome. I will be looking into that tonight for sure.

Edit: Although it looks like you are limited to imax/dolby to once per month.

Last edited by sigma722; 11-09-2017 at 08:24 AM.
post #6225 of 7901 Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Edit: Although it looks like you are limited to imax/dolby to once per month.
I guess I missed that. They kind of hide that piece of information, though.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 11-10-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #6226 of 7901 Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I guess I missed that. They kind of hide that piece of information, though.
That's how they getcha!

Still, 2 movies for $10 or 3 for $15 isn't bad if one of the movies costs $16 by itself.
post #6227 of 7901 Old 11-09-2017, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi! Wanted to introduce myself. I've been browsing threads here off and on for about a decade or so, but am finally gearing up to build a home theater in the near future. Plan is to target the build sometime around Spring 2018. Between now and then, I would love to see some KC-area theaters and get advice on what was worth the money, what wasn't, etc... I've already got a fairly good idea of what I want to do, but figure it'll change once I start seeing actual home theaters in person as opposed to internet pictures. Unlike most people on these forums, I have very limited skills re: DIY and home improvement, etc... so, I will contracting this out. Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or offers to see local home theaters!
Archaea likes this.
post #6228 of 7901 Old 11-10-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDK12KDK1 View Post
Hi! Wanted to introduce myself. I've been browsing threads here off and on for about a decade or so, but am finally gearing up to build a home theater in the near future. Plan is to target the build sometime around Spring 2018. Between now and then, I would love to see some KC-area theaters and get advice on what was worth the money, what wasn't, etc... I've already got a fairly good idea of what I want to do, but figure it'll change once I start seeing actual home theaters in person as opposed to internet pictures. Unlike most people on these forums, I have very limited skills re: DIY and home improvement, etc... so, I will contracting this out. Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or offers to see local home theaters!
Welcome.

I know right now that a few of the theater folks in KC in this thread are dealing with a few upgrades, new family additions, etc, but hopefully we can get back on track for monthly kc g2gs pretty soon.

If you haven't already. In the OP of this thread there are links to some of the more active KC members (as well as less active), and from a few of their profile pages you should be able to access their theater builds. The following have either build threads or theater threads that have a lot of good information. The starred ones are 100% dedicated spaces, professionally designed, that have a lot of detail on the build itself.

@Archaea
@carp
@chirpie
@ChldsPlay *quite detailed, but photobucket massacre left it hurting
@d_c
@JDontee
@jedimastergrant * super detailed
@stitch1
@Stoked21

Personally, I'm working on finishing my basement, and will have a dedicated theater, but recently got back from a huge international trip, and have been lazy AF when it comes to it. Hoping to get down there again this weekend. I haven't put together a build thread yet, and haven't fully decided if/when I will. I don't want to start one and then continue to be a lazy pos and not keep the people entertained! Currently I have the drywall completed, and am working on my riser.

Edit: Oh ****, I didn't realize the @ symbol would get replaced with mentions. Sorry for the notifications everyone *facepalm*
chirpie, ChldsPlay and Ladeback like this.
post #6229 of 7901 Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw this today for those that have a harmony LINK.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...ices-for-free/

Logitech is going to be killing off the harmony link in march 2018, and will only be supporting the hub going forward. If you have a link, you can upgrade to hub for free.

If you have a harmony elite, you should have a hub already (I had to check).
post #6230 of 7901 Old 11-11-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDK12KDK1 View Post
I'd be happy to give you a demo. If my room is of interest to you - send me a PM.
Link to my room thread...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...ater-room.html

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #6231 of 7901 Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Some recent theaters I?ve done in the KC Metro and Springfield Areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F931C07-B605-471B-BCF1-4C5414DB9323_1510459359662.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	2313754   Click image for larger version

Name:	03B6777F-41AE-4A4D-834E-78B98F92B7E6_1510459388668.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2313756   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB016D76-146B-4FC6-A26B-396D3F08331A_1510459420086.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2313758  
chirpie and Ladeback like this.

Shawn Byrne
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA, THX.
Theater Design Information and Examples

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6232 of 7901 Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Sorry guys. I?ve been holding out on you. There is another one in the works as well.

And you have to love the iPhone bug.

Shawn Byrne

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6233 of 7901 Old 11-12-2017, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Tell those guys to chime in here and participate in our (irregular?) monthly movie night.
post #6234 of 7901 Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Tell those guys to chime in here and participate in our (irregular?) monthly movie night.
First theater is @jedi1982 and he's located in springfield.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html

Not sure on the other two. They are both pretty cool.
Ladeback likes this.
post #6235 of 7901 Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
First theater is @jedi1982 and he's located in springfield.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html

Not sure on the other two. They are both pretty cool.
Yep hoping to get mine all complete in the next day or two as @SierraMikeBravo is coming to calibrate the audio/video this weekend
Ladeback likes this.
post #6236 of 7901 Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Fantastic theaters! The bar is set pretty high!
post #6237 of 7901 Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I live in Lawrence, is this group still going strong?
post #6238 of 7901 Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Sorry guys. I?ve been holding out on you.
I think it's less hold out and more just having a chance to come up for air. O_o
post #6239 of 7901 Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Quote:
Sorry guys. I?ve been holding out on you.
I think it's less hold out and more just having a chance to come up for air. O_o
This is true. We are currently set to begin the build out of the theaters that have been designed. December - March/April will be a whirlwind.

Shawn Byrne

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #6240 of 7901 Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Those look awesome - nice work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page