Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2325Likes

post #6811 of 7903 Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
@d_c hosted an informal movie night last night in his new home theater, it is a fantastic space indeed! I loved the look he achieved and I guess it shouldn't surprise me how well it turned out, having seen what Doug did in his living room theater upstairs. Everything came together very nicely, the bar, the fireplace, the ceiling, the screen, the giant salt water aquarium. The kids room and bathroom that Doug installed turned out great! While we encountered a few gremlins, the system sounded great, and the bass was hotter than a firecracker. The hair on my head was vibrating, and at one particular moment my face felt squeezed like my eyes were crushing together. 2dB hot my rear.

Those 24"ers firing directly into your back from the bar table/subwooferbox combo is something to experience, and the most fun you can have this side of a suspended wooden floor.

A very enjoyable time, and I really enjoyed the Martin City Stout you shared from your Keg. That's my first taste of that, it won't be my last.
It was fun to visit and catch up. Thanks for the evening!
chirpie, carp and jedimastergrant like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 04-12-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7903 Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
It’s always a pleasure! Mary said she didn’t hear anything after I neutered the subs by 9db and cut out 24hz and below . I was worried for nuthin
post #6813 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
It’s always a pleasure! Mary said she didn’t hear anything after I neutered the subs by 9db and cut out 24hz and below . I was worried for nuthin
I'll come back out there just for a demo. And some cheesy corn. MAYBE a boat sink...er... I mean ride. A boat ride.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

My door is always open to you, Sir Beast-a-lot. I took the ole pontoon out yesterday for a ride and Some fishin with the dogs. It was so windy that my two best rods blew in the water. One was a brand new St Croix 7’ crappie rod with Pflueger President reel. Ouch. Keep your eyes open for the GoFundMe.
post #6815 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Shout out for Mary, she's a saint.
post #6816 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
My door is always open to you, Sir Beast-a-lot. I took the ole pontoon out yesterday for a ride and Some fishin with the dogs. It was so windy that my two best rods blew in the water. One was a brand new St Croix 7’ crappie rod with Pflueger President reel. Ouch. Keep your eyes open for the GoFundMe.
Dang bud, that's why I don't fish. Don't like to take unnecessary risks like that.

post #6817 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
B&B Theaters have announced that the new theater in Liberty near me will be 4D.

http://bbtheatres.com/page/mx4d
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB THeater 4D.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	2390062  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #6818 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
+1 on Zelda (Don't have Mario yet).

I haven't spent that much time on a game in a very very long time.
Mario is incredible. It is the same kind of fun I remember from gaming on the NES when Mario Bros blew my mind. The sense of wonder and exploration is unequaled. Those creators have more imagination than they know what to do with.
post #6819 of 7903 Old 04-13-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
That might be the most expensive game I'll have yet to purchase. The first most expensive game I ever purchased was GoW (III I think) as I had to purchase the PS3 as well to play it. I will be purchasing a PS4 pro specifically for this game...once again. Man that's a rough day at BB.
This time around there are plenty of other exclusive PS4 games to justify your purchase.

But even if it was just for that game......I know quite a few PC gamers who upgrade their entire rig just for one game!

The special edition PS4 Pro God of War edition looks pretty good. Could be for you. Available 4/20....just sayin.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ex...s4-pro-bundle/

Also debuting 4/20.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BZmFhMjM2NmQtYWM3Yi00YmJhLWIxOTgtYWY3ZjNlYzMwOWJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NTM5NDY@._V1_SY1000_SX80.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	2390144  
Archaea likes this.

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 04-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.
post #6820 of 7903 Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Grant and all,

I read tonight that you can play Atmos back on Netflix in one of three ways right now.

Xbox One X or Xbox S
LG TVs
Or Windows 10 Netflix App.

I tried the Windows 10 Netflix App, because I don't have the other two and confirmed it works with a couple of the movies. My AVR flipped to Dolby Atmos and there was definitely discreet sound coming from my ceiling speakers.

Now to figure out which of the Atmos content I want to watch.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #6821 of 7903 Old 04-16-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Grant and all,

I read tonight that you can play Atmos back on Netflix in one of three ways right now.

Xbox One X or Xbox S
LG TVs
Or Windows 10 Netflix App.

I tried the Windows 10 Netflix App, because I don't have the other two and confirmed it works with a couple of the movies. My AVR flipped to Dolby Atmos and there was definitely discreet sound coming from my ceiling speakers.

Now to figure out which of the Atmos content I want to watch. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Yeah those three platforms have been the only ones supported since last summer. In addition the vanilla Xbox like mine will bitstream atmos.

Most of those demos in the Dolby Atmos app are good. There is no great way to see all atmos content on Netflix that I know of except for using it as a search term.

The punisher and Cloverfield paradox are my favorites. We are just now seeing more titles. The bass is quite a bit better in native atmos.
post #6822 of 7903 Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I watched the Hotel Artemis trailer today. If that hospital isn't a blatant rip-off of the hotel in the John Wick movie, then I don't know what is.

That said, the casting looks fun.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
post #6823 of 7903 Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-gr...l#post56047642

post #6824 of 7903 Old 04-17-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

@jedimastergrant ,

I tried to watch Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix last night per your recommendation, and I couldn't make it past about the first 30 minutes. The premise is interesting, but I just can't do scary movies alone in my home theater. My heart can't take it. I quit when the first scare occurred and the woman was trapped in the wall melded with the ship's wiring after the malfunction. I paused the movie to look up the plot on Wikipedia and see if it got crazier or if it was something I thought I could handle. Reading through the plot I decided I wasn't willing to endure the fright.

The sounds with atmos are just too much. I've never been a fan of horror and been susceptible to jumping and that's just easily compounded with a good dark home theater and 7.2.4 setup, and nearfield subs thumping my back, and trying to watch a movie like that alone.

My wife, when we first got married, said she liked scary movies, and made fun of me for being a chicken. Now she won't do them either. I think her change of heart is related to the home theater experience. She'd never been around any kind of home theater space, and there's certainly a big difference between watching a scary movie in a well lit living room with a 27" TV, vs. watching a scary movie in a dark home theater with full surround sound and a huge picture.

Any rate - I wanted to watch it for the Atmos and soundtrack that, yes, I could immediately tell would be fun! The sound with the malfunction was fantastic --- but I took the chicken exit. Maybe I'll watch it on the LCD upstairs during the day with 15% volume. Yeah that'll be manly!

post #6825 of 7903 Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6826 of 7903 Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
@jedimastergrant ,

I tried to watch Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix last night per your recommendation, and I couldn't make it past about the first 30 minutes. The premise is interesting, but I just can't do scary movies alone in my home theater. My heart can't take it. I quit when the first scare occurred and the woman was trapped in the wall melded with the ship's wiring after the malfunction. I paused the movie to look up the plot on Wikipedia and see if it got crazier or if it was something I thought I could handle. Reading through the plot I decided I wasn't willing to endure the fright.

The sounds with atmos are just too much. I've never been a fan of horror and been susceptible to jumping and that's just easily compounded with a good dark home theater and 7.2.4 setup, and nearfield subs thumping my back, and trying to watch a movie like that alone.

My wife, when we first got married, said she liked scary movies, and made fun of me for being a chicken. Now she won't do them either. I think her change of heart is related to the home theater experience. She'd never been around any kind of home theater space, and there's certainly a big difference between watching a scary movie in a well lit living room with a 27" TV, vs. watching a scary movie in a dark home theater with full surround sound and a huge picture.

Any rate - I wanted to watch it for the Atmos and soundtrack that, yes, I could immediately tell would be fun! The sound with the malfunction was fantastic --- but I took the chicken exit. Maybe I'll watch it on the LCD upstairs during the day with 15% volume. Yeah that'll be manly!
Man there sure are a lot of movies/shows on Netflix I need to watch in the theater.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #6827 of 7903 Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6828 of 7903 Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@jedimastergrant ,

Slowly raising hand while shaking and whispering “me too”!

I can’t do some of the horror movies out there. I can do almost all of the monster stuff but not the human violence plots. A great deal of the horror out there is too twisted and disturbing. I’m already warped enough as it is.

I Agree on the HT experience elevating the horror genre to levels that can be uncomfortable. I remember the first time I watched Alien in my blacked out room by myself with the volume fairly high. I have seen the movie many times and it is one of my favorites. But I found myself completely unnerved and I actually turned the volume down just so I could stay seated in my chair and finish the movie.

Also I went with some other guys to IT and I was half jumping out of my chair while making girl like noises and the other dudes hardly budged. Except for the scene with the water in the basement......that will scare anyone with a pulse.

You already saw the best immersive scene at the start of Cloverfield Paradox anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Archaea likes this.
post #6829 of 7903 Old 04-18-2018, 10:28 AM

I can just imagine lil' Megan prodding you Jon to watch a scary movie just so she can watch you squirm...

post #6830 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

‘Avengers: Infinity War shoot internally on IMAX Cameras. Still may see it in the Dolby Cinema for the better sound I would think.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...n=One%20Signal

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #6831 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
‘Avengers: Infinity War shoot internally on IMAX Cameras. Still may see it in the Dolby Cinema for the better sound I would think.

Sounds like we are going to lose some heroes. Any guesses on which ones?

post #6832 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like we are going to lose some heroes. Any guesses on which ones?
My guess would be at least Vision not sure who else. Depends on who has movies coming up. Here is a list of new ones to come. I don't think Deadpool is in this.

http://time.com/5167535/upcoming-marvel-movies/

post #6833 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
My guess would be at least Vision not sure who else. Depends on who has movies coming up. Here is a list of new ones to come. I don't think Deadpool is in this.

http://time.com/5167535/upcoming-marvel-movies/
Maybe. In the comics he and Scarlet Witch are eventually married and have quite a story. Not sure Marvel is ready to kill him off and not use all that material. Evans wants to do more directing and Indie films, so I imagine Cap is a potential goner. Downey Jr. is getting up there in age and $$$ asked for. So he may exit too.

I echo what others are saying on horror films. I still watch them, but at home they do take on another level. I remember watching The Blair Witch Project at The Uptown in the Twin Cities and thinking it was meh. I watched it again at home in pitch black and dead silence and the creepy factor was MUCH higher. Way more intense.

post #6834 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:

Hopefully the home release is in 1.9:1 if they decide to do the IMAX framing and not cropped to 1.78:1. At least it won't have the shifting AR nonsense to worry about like we get with Nolan's films. I personally am not a fan of the constant picture shifts. I know why he does it, it just pulls me out of the experience.

post #6835 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Maybe. In the comics he and Scarlet Witch are eventually married and have quite a story. Not sure Marvel is ready to kill him off and not use all that material. Evans wants to do more directing and Indie films, so I imagine Cap is a potential goner. Downey Jr. is getting up there in age and $$$ asked for. So he may exit too.

I echo what others are saying on horror films. I still watch them, but at home they do take on another level. I remember watching The Blair Witch Project at The Uptown in the Twin Cities and thinking it was meh. I watched it again at home in pitch black and dead silence and the creepy factor was MUCH higher. Way more intense.
Similar experience the first time I watched Signs at home. To this day, I still get goosebumps when I look out a window and see a silhouette over a roof-line at night.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #6836 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Similar experience the first time I watched Signs at home. To this day, I still get goosebumps when I look out a window and see a silhouette over a roof-line at night.
I mean... if it's alien shaped, that's a valid concern, okay?
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #6837 of 7903 Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Both my daughter and I like scary movies - she's on a scary movie kick and likes to invite friends over to watch them down in "her" theater. My wife squeels, kicks her feet, and covers her eyes during pretty much the whole thing, so pretty much like Archaea. I don't like movies where there is a lot of human on human torture and gore - it's weird that it has become so popular in movies like Saw. The sci-fi / fantasy violence or demonic scary horror movie stuff doesn't bother me at all, I like getting tricked in to being spooked, so the build up when you know that something is going to jump out and scare you... I think is awesome.
Archaea and Ladeback like this.
post #6838 of 7903 Old 04-24-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I think I have an extra pass to Infinity War Saturday night (10:45) at the Olathe 28 Dolby Screen if anyone is interested. Sweet spot seats.
Archaea likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #6839 of 7903 Old 04-25-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

I work in Information Security as a profession and I got had this morning.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...loned-avs.html

Make sure you double check the URL from a google search. It's normally on my mind -- but I sure missed it this morning.

post #6840 of 7903 Old 04-25-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
I work in Information Security as a profession and I got had this morning.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...loned-avs.html

Make sure you double check the URL from a google search. It's normally on my mind -- but I sure missed it this morning.
Noob!

Also... God of War is reeeeaaallly awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page