Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2325Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7441 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
-Den of Thieves has some of the best gunfire I have ever heard. There are two main scenes. It is not throughout the whole movie like JW or anything. But I think I enjoyed the sound design (just about) as much as JW specifically how visceral the gunfire is and the nice low end that accompanies each shot. Good example for how it can draw you into the movie. It did add to the tension and made you feel like the bullets were coming through the room. Made me fearful for the characters etc. Just well done.

I did like the movie too but set expectations low since the RT score is like 40 percent so there were lots of folks who did not enjoy it like I did. But anyway just a PSA for anyone who has replayed gunfire scenes in movies and loves to give their subwoofer and surround system a good workout. I was about to skip this one bc of the bad press. But it is worth a listen for a few of us.

-Murder on the Orient Express is probably the best film I have seen on my faux K projector in terms of resolution. The detail is outstanding. Just tack perfect. The period garments have to be seen. Super well done transfer.

-Harry Potter UHD movies have all been great so far. The audio is an upgrade for sure. They actually did take advantage of the immersive format. There are numerous examples but my favorite (after watching the first 5 movies) is in HP 3 when the whomping willow tries to......well......whomp them. They put you in the middle of the action with the trees branches all around you ripping through the room. Very cool. There are a few times the tree attempts to murder those kids and I don't remember which one was the best example. The way they do the blacks on those movies is a joy to behold. I can't really think of a better one off the top of my head. I would rebuy so many old remastered movies if they were given this treatment.

I almost watched Den of Thieves on my living room TV. Once the opening scene got going I had to stop it because I realized it was one I needed to watch in the theater.


I just ordered the JVC NX7 projector through desertdome. It was past time for an upgrade. Too many 4K files that just don't look right on the ole Panny. I think I will be keeping it as a backup, but haven't decided for sure. The JVC will have to go in a new spot (which I have yet to prepare), so I can leave the Panny where it's at, if I want.

Would you be willing to let me borrow the HP films at some point, to give them a look see once I have the JVC setup? I try to avoid double dipping for 4K, but do make some exceptions. I don't think I'd do the Deathly Hallows films, though, since I have my own personal edit I watch for that.
sigma722 likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7442 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Member
 
RUN-NE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Independence, (KC) MO
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I almost watched Den of Thieves on my living room TV. Once the opening scene got going I had to stop it because I realized it was one I needed to watch in the theater.


I just ordered the JVC NX7 projector through desertdome. It was past time for an upgrade. Too many 4K files that just don't look right on the ole Panny. I think I will be keeping it as a backup, but haven't decided for sure. The JVC will have to go in a new spot (which I have yet to prepare), so I can leave the Panny where it's at, if I want.

Would you be willing to let me borrow the HP films at some point, to give them a look see once I have the JVC setup? I try to avoid double dipping for 4K, but do make some exceptions. I don't think I'd do the Deathly Hallows films, though, since I have my own personal edit I watch for that.
I was wondering when someone here in KC would get the new JVC's. I'd love to see the NX7 when you get it. That is the one I would want also. Have you seen one in person yet? I need to talk to Desertdome on that...

JVC RS420 with 142" Silver Ticket 2.35:1 WAB AT screen
Denon x4300h 7.1.4 Atmos
LG 4K HDR Blu ray player
Paradigm 11v7 LCR, Polk T60 tower surrounds, 80i ceiling and 2 JTR Orbital Shifters
Xbox One X and ATV 4K
RUN-NE1 is offline  
post #7443 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Grant, are the HP movies as much of an upgrade as The Matrix?
Probably not. But that is a high bar. The Matrix could be my favorite remaster.

There were several video related issues that existed in the 1080p version of The Matrix that were able to be fixed in the UHD version. I don't think there were blatant problems in the 1080p HP movies. They were already amazing. I can remember watching them back in the day on my Kuro and marveling at the black levels.

As far as audio goes it is an upgrade from what I can hear but it's not like I sit there going back and forth between the versions and scrutinizing them. There are several instances where it is obvious they implemented the immersive format and it adds to the movie. Since I am a fan of the movies/books and I have a 4K/immersive set up it is worth it for me. It helps that I got them all for a screaming good deal too for well under $15 per movie if I recall.

The audio on The Matrix is just bonkers good. It takes everything to 11 and just blows it all to H. E. double hockey sticks!!!!!! That is one that everyone should double dip on!
carp likes this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7444 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I almost watched Den of Thieves on my living room TV. Once the opening scene got going I had to stop it because I realized it was one I needed to watch in the theater.


I just ordered the JVC NX7 projector through desertdome. It was past time for an upgrade. Too many 4K files that just don't look right on the ole Panny. I think I will be keeping it as a backup, but haven't decided for sure. The JVC will have to go in a new spot (which I have yet to prepare), so I can leave the Panny where it's at, if I want.

Would you be willing to let me borrow the HP films at some point, to give them a look see once I have the JVC setup? I try to avoid double dipping for 4K, but do make some exceptions. I don't think I'd do the Deathly Hallows films, though, since I have my own personal edit I watch for that.
Wise choice. I think you will be happy you waited for the real deal where bullets are shredding your room apart before your very ears.

Congrats on the JVC! Shiny! I think I can let you borrow them in exchange for a demo of the new unit once it is installed. What is the edit of the Deathly Hallows (without spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen/read the HP series)?
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #7445 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Wise choice. I think you will be happy you waited for the real deal where bullets are shredding your room apart before your very ears.

Congrats on the JVC! Shiny! I think I can let you borrow them in exchange for a demo of the new unit once it is installed. What is the edit of the Deathly Hallows (without spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen/read the HP series)?
I just combined them into one movie, replaced the title card, added in a few of the deleted scenes, made other minor alterations.

Here's an example of a small change (which they all were for this edit - nothing like my cutting out 20-30 minutes of other films). There are spoilers for anyone still waiting to see these.


The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7446 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Agreed Grant, the Matrix is amazing... if only all of the older movies (shoot.. make that almost any movie) could be given that kind of surround treatment.

BTW, wife and I watched episode 1 of season 2 Punisher, it's good. Bass at the bar is a bit boomy but not enough to be a big deal.
carp is offline  
post #7447 of 7903 Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

I noticed the boomy bass too. I reached for the remote to dial it back, but my strong hand knocked the remote out of my dumb hand before I realized what was happening.

Den of Thieves and the Matrix remaster are on my short list now, thanks! I have been on the hunt for some new films to watch. We watched Alpha as a family a couple of nights ago and it was enjoyable and catered to my senses. Everyone in my house was in bed before 9 tonight so I just started in on season 2 of The Punisher. Anyways, time to refill and get back to Frank, er Pete.
Archaea and chiptouz like this.
d_c is online now  
post #7448 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I noticed the boomy bass too. I reached for the remote to dial it back, but my strong hand knocked the remote out of my dumb hand before I realized what was happening.

Den of Thieves and the Matrix remaster are on my short list now, thanks! I have been on the hunt for some new films to watch. We watched Alpha as a family a couple of nights ago and it was enjoyable and catered to my senses. Everyone in my house was in bed before 9 tonight so I just started in on season 2 of The Punisher. Anyways, time to refill and get back to Frank, er Pete.


I don’t recall the boomy base like you two but I don’t have the subs that you do either. That was a pretty intense scene.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds; Denon AVC X6500h
chiptouz is offline  
post #7449 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN-NE1 View Post
I was wondering when someone here in KC would get the new JVC's. I'd love to see the NX7 when you get it. That is the one I would want also. Have you seen one in person yet? I need to talk to Desertdome on that...
No, I haven't seen one in person yet. Not sure if there is anywhere close that would be an option, especially as they are just trickling in now. You're welcome to demo it once I get it.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7450 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
I don’t recall the boomy base like you two but I don’t have the subs that you do either. That was a pretty intense scene.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn't the action scene that was boomy, it was the band. Music sounded really good other than that.
chiptouz likes this.
carp is offline  
post #7451 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Just caught up on the last 2 pages. Glad to see some 4K discussion. I concur with JediMasterGrant on the Harry Potter set. The video doesn't really see much of a bump until around film 4 or 5, but WB really stepped it up with the audio. Great use of ceiling channels. And even though the earlier films don't see a huge boost in detail, the expanded color gamut helps a lot with skin tones and costume textures (especially some of McGonagall's outfits). I thought they did a great job with The Matrix (especially the video), but the sound just sounded ever so slightly compressed to me (likely a product of how it was mastered). If you're a fan of the Bourne movies, I'd say that 4K set is worth picking up (it's pretty reasonably priced). The video quality isn't helped much, but man Universal did a nice job on the audio. Great use of spatial panning and effects. We watched the first film and then MI:Fallout and the Bourne film didn't sound dated in comparison. The Bourne films really benefit from the UB820's processing. A couple bumps of the HDR optimizer really brought the first one to life. The second and third didn't need as much tweaking, but still benefitted.

Murder on the Orient Express is still one of the best looking 4K discs and I also think Blade Runner 2049 is right up there with it. The IMAX scenes in MI:Fallout too. Thrillcat up in Ames recently purchased an RS540 and did a showing of the 4K remaster of 2001. If you enjoy that film it's never looked better. Definitely more detail and image stability than the Blu Ray. Not sure it's top tier 4K, but it's darn close.

jeahrens is offline  
post #7452 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Just caught up on the last 2 pages. Glad to see some 4K discussion. I concur with JediMasterGrant on the Harry Potter set. The video doesn't really see much of a bump until around film 4 or 5, but WB really stepped it up with the audio. Great use of ceiling channels. And even though the earlier films don't see a huge boost in detail, the expanded color gamut helps a lot with skin tones and costume textures (especially some of McGonagall's outfits). I thought they did a great job with The Matrix (especially the video), but the sound just sounded ever so slightly compressed to me (likely a product of how it was mastered). If you're a fan of the Bourne movies, I'd say that 4K set is worth picking up (it's pretty reasonably priced). The video quality isn't helped much, but man Universal did a nice job on the audio. Great use of spatial panning and effects. We watched the first film and then MI:Fallout and the Bourne film didn't sound dated in comparison. The Bourne films really benefit from the UB820's processing. A couple bumps of the HDR optimizer really brought the first one to life. The second and third didn't need as much tweaking, but still benefitted.

Murder on the Orient Express is still one of the best looking 4K discs and I also think Blade Runner 2049 is right up there with it. The IMAX scenes in MI:Fallout too. Thrillcat up in Ames recently purchased an RS540 and did a showing of the 4K remaster of 2001. If you enjoy that film it's never looked better. Definitely more detail and image stability than the Blu Ray. Not sure it's top tier 4K, but it's darn close.
-Yes agreed Blade Runner 2049 has to be in the top tier for both audio and video. Just amazing. In fact the OG Blade Runner remaster looks fantastic too. Hard to believe an older film can look that good! And the audio is so well done too. Another perfect example of a movie that is worth double dipping to get the UHD immersive version if you are a fan of the series.

-I have not seen the 2001 remaster but it is on the very very short list. I do like the movie and I'm really looking forward to it. The disc must be made of gold or something with the prices though.

-I can't wait to see what the last few HP movies have for black levels on my 520.

-I wonder if I should sell my Oppo for a profit and pick up a Panny unit instead? I HAVE to have something that works every time. After that of course I want the best PQ but I kind of thought they were all pretty similar. I haven't been following the discussions lately. Maybe I should look into that if the Oppo prices are still inflated.

-Oh, and Deep Water Horizon is just nuts. Just nuts. My wife did not make it through that one at my normal 8 below reference. The bass became too much for her. Talk about a sub workout. Your neighbors may come knocking at your door with that one.

-Watched Gladiator remaster last night. I would double dip on that one if you guys are fans. Picture outstanding. The audio from the opening battle scene in Germania is mixed well for the immersive format. Arrows are flying through the room and overhead etc. Maybe it was just me but I thought I could hear the incredible orchestral score bleeding into the heights and surrounds and it added quite a bit to the drama for me. I didn't get up to put my ear to the speakers or anything since I was so locked into the film.

-The Grand Tour just started up again on Amazon Prime and it remains a showcase for HDR. They intentionally dial up the HDR and (colors in general) past what we see in real life. They do this only for certain scenes for dramatic effect just like they did for the old Top Gear series. It makes the cars pop like crazy. If you are a gear head then this one is for you. First episode is muscle cars in Mo Town.

-I could ramble forever but I won't. You guys are way more tolerant than my wife.
Archaea likes this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #7453 of 7903 Old 01-25-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
I agree, Gladiator was great. Not Matrix great (sound/picture quality), but still very good. I bought that and Braveheart at the same time and my wife and I watched them a few months ago the same weekend. If you had asked me ahead of time which movie I liked more I would have said it's a tie. However, Gladiator holds up a lot better IMO. So many great lines and the HZ music is fantastic as everyone knows. I got goosebumps multiple times watching Gladiator.
Archaea likes this.
carp is offline  
post #7454 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
-I wonder if I should sell my Oppo for a profit and pick up a Panny unit instead? I HAVE to have something that works every time. After that of course I want the best PQ but I kind of thought they were all pretty similar. I haven't been following the discussions lately. Maybe I should look into that if the Oppo prices are still inflated.
The Panny doesn't have the media capabilities of the Oppo, but the tone mapping features are a game changer. Disney 4K flicks that are too dim? A couple clicks of the optimizer brings them to life. It's pretty fantastic. The new JVC's have a similar feature.

jeahrens is offline  
post #7455 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The Panny doesn't have the media capabilities of the Oppo, but the tone mapping features are a game changer. Disney 4K flicks that are too dim? A couple clicks of the optimizer brings them to life. It's pretty fantastic. The new JVC's have a similar feature.


Does the panny support apps, ie Netflix? Which model is it?
d_c is online now  
post #7456 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
In preparation for the JVC, I have to make a slight modification to the room.

I get to install a couple of these monsters (for a shelf).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_164932_1548700449271.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.62 MB
ID:	2517472  

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7457 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Does the panny support apps, ie Netflix? Which model is it?
The UB820 is the only available model with the tone mapping/HDR optimizer feature. There is a UB9000 supposedly out soon that also has it.

It has all the major streaming apps Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. We haven't played with them much, but they do support 4K HDR and the tone mapping tech.
d_c likes this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #7458 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

My room's is now finished. 13, JBL 70J-1 with RGB lighting.
More pics in post 1990 of my room thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57513598


I'll host a movie night in Feb unless one of these two was already planning it. I can do March, or May if preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post
Hey guys i have finished my build a couple weeks ago on my titans. If anyone ever wanted to hear the diysg Titan but in dual woofer form come on over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
I hope so. I need to do a gtg at my place since I finished my subs and 1099’s
sigma722, Luke Kamp and Ladeback like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 01-28-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #7459 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My room's is now finished. 13, JBL 70J-1 with RGB lighting.

More pics in post 1990 of my room thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57513598





I'll host a movie night in Feb unless one of these two was already planning it. I can do March, or May if preferred.

@Archaea I don’t think anyone has responded for me hosting the next one so let’s shoot for your house in Feb and then after I meet the guys maybe I can host one later. I still need to get my absorption panels built and installed.

Chip


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds; Denon AVC X6500h
chiptouz is offline  
post #7460 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
In preparation for the JVC, I have to make a slight modification to the room.

I get to install a couple of these monsters (for a shelf).


Pics broke?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #7461 of 7903 Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post


Pics broke?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's try this:


The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 01-29-2019 at 08:38 AM.
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7462 of 7903 Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sigma722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Hey just got an email from equip-bid that someone might be interested in:

https://www.equip-bid.com/auction/4882

Apparently a theater is closing or something and they have to get rid of their seating.

Food for thought!
Archaea likes this.
sigma722 is offline  
post #7463 of 7903 Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Hey just got an email from equip-bid that someone might be interested in:

https://www.equip-bid.com/auction/4882

Apparently a theater is closing or something and they have to get rid of their seating.

Food for thought!
That's from AMC 20 in Independence. They are renovating all of their theaters (I still have the plans saved somewhere).

Not sure I'd want any of their old seats considering the bed bug problems they have had. These are leather, though, so probably not much concern there.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7464 of 7903 Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Have any of you sat in these chairs? Are they pretty comfortable? I’m tempted to buy eight of them and make two rows in my theater space given how cheap they are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stitch1 likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 01-30-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #7465 of 7903 Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Have any of you sat in these chairs? Are they pretty comfortable? I’m tempted to buy eight of them and make two rows in my theater space given how cheap they are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, who had 2 days in the "Jonathan isn't finished with his room despite posting that he was" pool?
chirpie, Archaea and chiptouz like this.
JDontee is offline  
post #7466 of 7903 Old 01-30-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
haha!

I said I was done with speakers!

And when a $20 electric theater seat with USB, seat warmers, LCD screen positioning reclining comes along you don't really have to think about it do you?
If the prices stay anywhere near this low I'm in (and I suspect they will - since there are 176 of them) My wife and I were talking about it.


So now I'm dreaming about if I want to do three rows of three, or two rows of four?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 01-30-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #7467 of 7903 Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
They look pretty big, but comfortable. I would like 6 for my self, but not sure I could get away today to look at them to bid. Nice thing is I have a truck. These look pretty wide. Has anyone been to this theater and sat in them?

Edit: After looking at these on my computer and not my phone it looks like only the back reclines not the seats. Not sure about these now. Wish I could get away today to look at them. Will see.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html

Last edited by Ladeback; 01-31-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Ladeback is offline  
post #7468 of 7903 Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I went and took a look at the theater chairs at the AMC 20 in Independence. They are in good shape, but the seats don't recline. They are like regular chairs and the backs slide to recline you back. The rows were on about 50" in width so you could a couple rows if you don't mind you feet up. I guess if I got them I would put them in the front row with ottomans. The left seat is 38" wide and the others are 30". A row of three is around 100 inches or so. Haven't decided yet on bidding yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #7469 of 7903 Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,226
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
haha!



I said I was done with speakers!



And when a $20 electric theater seat with USB, seat warmers, LCD screen positioning reclining comes along you don't really have to think about it do you?

If the prices stay anywhere near this low I'm in (and I suspect they will - since there are 176 of them) My wife and I were talking about it.





So now I'm dreaming about if I want to do three rows of three, or two rows of four?


I’d vote for three in the front for a solo sweet spot and four in the back for staggered sight lines.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JDontee likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #7470 of 7903 Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5505 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
haha!

I said I was done with speakers!

And when a $20 electric theater seat with USB, seat warmers, LCD screen positioning reclining comes along you don't really have to think about it do you?
If the prices stay anywhere near this low I'm in (and I suspect they will - since there are 176 of them) My wife and I were talking about it.


So now I'm dreaming about if I want to do three rows of three, or two rows of four?
100% always rows of three...or 5, to preserve a dead center MLP.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off