Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2379Likes

post #7501 of 7953 Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
I put 9 Palliser Pacifico chairs on layaway at NFM a while back when they were on sale. New house won't be ready until April. They're on sale again, not as cheap as they were before, but $650 is still better than online prices equally equipped.

https://www.nfm.com/eq3-pacifico-3-p...n-valencia-ink
For the same price at 4seating.com you could have electric adjustable head reast and storge buns in the arms.
https://4seating.com/home-theater-se...eater-seating/

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7953 Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone watched Hunter Killer movie on their Atmos system? Watched it tonight on just my 5.1 system and sounded really good. My wife and I liked the movie as well. Rented it in BluRay from RedBox.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #7503 of 7953 Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Palliser Pacifico Seats at NFM

Quote:
I put 9 Palliser Pacifico chairs on layaway at NFM a while back when they were on sale. New house won't be ready until April. They're on sale again, not as cheap as they were before, but $650 is still better than online prices equally equipped.

https://www.nfm.com/eq3-pacifico-3-p...n-valencia-ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
For the same price at 4seating.com you could have electric adjustable head reast and storge buns in the arms.
https://4seating.com/home-theater-se...eater-seating/
Sorry, what I should have said was the Palliser Pacifico at NFM is significantly lower priced than the same make/model/options chair online. I've looked at several major seating sites online, and they're all in the $1100-1200 range, if I remember correctly, for a Pacifico with match leather, power recliner & stainless cup holder that NFM regularly sells for under $700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7953 Old 02-03-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, what I should have said was the Palliser Pacifico at NFM is significantly lower priced than the same make/model/options chair online. I've looked at several major seating sites online, and they're all in the $1100-1200 range, if I remember correctly, for a Pacifico with match leather, power recliner & stainless cup holder that NFM regularly sells for under $700.
That's not to bad. Guess I am in no hurry till my room is closer to being do. I will go around and check all the places in town and try out seats and prices.

post #7505 of 7953 Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The only other place I looked at was Amini's. If I remember correctly, it was a few months ago, there was nothing less than $1000 and most of it was $2000-3000. Then I saw the Palliser Pacifico at NFM for under $600. When I saw the same seat is $1100-1200 online, was kind of a no-brainer.

I'm doing nine seats, so that's a big difference. NFM will also install them, that's a big job. I wouldn't mind getting at least two with the adjustable headrest. I've still got two more months and can cancel if I find something better, but I doubt that will happen.

Anybody have any other suggestion for local seats? Thanks.
post #7506 of 7953 Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only other place I looked at was Amini's. If I remember correctly, it was a few months ago, there was nothing less than $1000 and most of it was $2000-3000. Then I saw the Palliser Pacifico at NFM for under $600. When I saw the same seat is $1100-1200 online, was kind of a no-brainer.

I'm doing nine seats, so that's a big difference. NFM will also install them, that's a big job. I wouldn't mind getting at least two with the adjustable headrest. I've still got two more months and can cancel if I find something better, but I doubt that will happen.

Anybody have any other suggestion for local seats? Thanks.
There is Family Leisure, Furniture Mall of Kansas and Lazy Boy you could check out. They may have something. Amini's is always high. I have found better deals online.

post #7507 of 7953 Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
The world of HDR can be pretty frustrating for projector owners. We need some standards. Mastering is like the Wild West. The thing I don't like about using a slider to taste is that it's hard to know you are getting what the director intended. In the end your adjusting the image fairly dramatically by bringing in details and changing how much is in shadows etc but you have no idea if your supposed to be seeing any of it! Still I think it would be nice to have the Panny to use some common sense for a few titles that really need it.

If prices come down I will consider it but at $500 it isn't worth it for just a few titles. Things would be different if I could sell my Oppo but it's still essential for me. However, I wonder if I could sell the Oppo at the inflated prices of around $750-800 and then find a really cheap player that does SACD, DVDA, and MKV through the USB. Then I could buy the Panny and possibly come out ahead.

In other news I just boxed up my JVC RS520 and sent it in for repair. The iris is non functioning and could be a mechanical failure. Hopefully it will be repaired under warranty. But the next month or so is going to be difficult unless DDome comes through with a loaner unit......fingers crossed!
Sorry about the projector! That really sucks

You're absolutely right that playing with the slider can produce an inaccurate picture. Though I don't think anyone would look at the crush going on with some titles and see this as intended. When you can look at the SDR counterpart vs. the HDR curve preset and see this happening it's quite clearly an interaction of bad mastering not playing well with a static preset. If you aren't seeing an elevated black floor or blooming with the optimizer, but picture detail and the overall image are greatly enhanced it's hard to argue against it.

I guess one of the things I take for granted with it and haven't covered as well as I should is that the auto-tonemapping is taking titles with proper metadata and setting the picture level properly for the output device. So a title mastered for nit level X and a title mastered for nit level Y will both look outstanding and have basically the same overall range with the Panasonic without touching a thing. With the static HDR curve one may look fantastic and the other not so much based on how their mastering levels play with the defined curve.

The difference can range from subtle to wow. I can try to take pictures, but I'm not sure how HDR -> Cell camera -> to monitor will capture it. But I'll give it a shot the next time I have it fired up.

Last edited by jeahrens; 02-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #7508 of 7953 Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I think I'm going to put my eye out making these changes for the new projector.

If I'm not looking at the correct angle, these brackets become difficult to see with the black on black. I've already banged my head twice, the last one giving me a little cut right above my eye.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7509 of 7953 Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

If I'm not looking at the correct angle, these brackets become difficult to see with the black on black. I've already banged my head twice, the last one giving me a little cut right above my eye.
Throw some blue painters tape on them so they stick out. Can't have you putting your eyes out before we get some impressions on that shiny new JVC 4K.
ChldsPlay and chiptouz like this.

post #7510 of 7953 Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Sorry about the projector! That really sucks

You're absolutely right that playing with the slider can produce an inaccurate picture. Though I don't think anyone would look at the crush going on with some titles and see this as intended. When you can look at the SDR counterpart vs. the HDR curve preset and see this happening it's quite clearly an interaction of bad mastering not playing well with a static preset. If you aren't seeing an elevated black floor or blooming with the optimizer, but picture detail and the overall image are greatly enhanced it's hard to argue against it.

I guess one of the things I take for granted with it and haven't covered as well as I should is that the auto-tonemapping is taking titles with proper metadata and setting the picture level properly for the output device. So a title mastered for nit level X and a title mastered for nit level Y will both look outstanding and have basically the same overall range with the Panasonic without touching a thing. With the static HDR curve one may look fantastic and the other not so much based on how their mastering levels play with the defined curve.

The difference can range from subtle to wow. I can try to take pictures, but I'm not sure how HDR -> Cell camera -> to monitor will capture it. But I'll give it a shot the next time I have it fired up.
I'll look into it for sure. Maybe when the Panny 9000 hits prices will come down on the 820. I wish there were a plug and play solution though. Is it possible the new line of true 4K JVC's will handle those few problematic titles better?
post #7511 of 7953 Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I'll look into it for sure. Maybe when the Panny 9000 hits prices will come down on the 820. I wish there were a plug and play solution though. Is it possible the new line of true 4K JVC's will handle those few problematic titles better?
From the looks of it, no. Panasonic in the absence of metadata (Disney titles have none) will assume a 1000 nit curve and tone map to that. It's not perfect but much better than nothing. The new JVC's on the other hand won't do anything if there is no metadata. Does that make the Panasonic worth it for someone buying a new 4K JVC? My gut says not really (and I'm someone looking at buying a 4K JVC and have the Panny). And here's why. I think that we can look at the settings the JVC is using for auto tone mapping for titles that DO have metadata and then experimenting with them on titles that do not. Granted that is speculation at this point, but I really don't see why we couldn't record the settings used on a variety of titles and find a combination that works.

Right now for those of us with the e-shift JVCs the Panasonic is the closest thing we have to plug and play as long as there is metadata present. The only time the auto tone mapping on the Panasonic doesn't produce a consistently nice image is when there is no metadata for it to adapt to.

This is what the new JVC's look like when auto tone mapping is engaged:

https://goo .gl/images/R2X1ND (sorry I had to breakup the URL as this idiotic forum software keeps putting in asterisks, just delete the spaces before the period)

Those are the settings I think you could record and experiment with on material without metadata. They may even translate over to the e-shift lineup to some extent if using the same gamma, though ours lack the overall mapping level slider that these have (which probably manipulates the overall curve).

Last edited by jeahrens; 02-05-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #7512 of 7953 Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Why don’t you tie some pink or yellow tape to them? That way it’s temp. and you can remove them if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH and Surrounds; Denon AVR X6500h
post #7513 of 7953 Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
This is a random request. Does anyone local have a DeWalt 18V battery I can use for literally 5 seconds. I'm troubleshooting my finishing nail gun and the replacement batteries seem to work for all of my other DeWalt 18V tools, but not the finishing nail gun. If so, PM me. I'll bring you a beer for payment of the 14 electrons I need to figure this out.
post #7514 of 7953 Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like my projector will be in town on Friday, and I should be picking it up next week (don't quite have the shelf up yet).

LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 02-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #7515 of 7953 Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like my projector will be in town on Friday, and I should ne picking it up next week (don't quite have the shelf up yet).
Really looking forward to getting the JVC. My Panny has always looked somewhat soft to me, with some noticeable convergeance limitations. Of course, it's completely limited for 4K/HDR material.

Recently, I watched Roma on Netflix and noticed the colors have a red push to the left and a green push to the right (convergeance?). Never saw it before, but it showed with Roma's black and white content. Checked another B&W title amd saw the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_000501_1550348425261.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	2526740  

post #7516 of 7953 Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 611 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3791 Post(s)
Liked: 3588
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Someone else want to pick up Feb movie night. My room is still a mess with 6 chairs assembled and 6 not. I don't think these chairs are going to work. My ceiling height just isn't enough to make multiple rows.

That’s an 8” trial lift on the back row and my wife says she can only see like 2/3 of the screen from the rear row. Less (like 1/2 the screen when my big head is in the way in the front center seat.) She’s short and I’m tall though. When she sits up there from the second row she isn’t in my view. So I’m assuming I need another 4-6” for the second row to clear. That’s going to look pretty odd in this room. Megan already told me we can’t move to a new house built around a theater room so I can use these chairs. I laughed, but couldn’t say the thought handn’t briefly crossed my mind.

They sure have cleaned up well. They look very nearly perfect after some cleaning. The LCD screens are all perfect. The material is all perfect. I had to remove some treats like this couple year old gummy worm with a screw driver it was on there so hard.

Weirdest thing found so far in the seats while cleaning and assembling? A 10 ounce lead sinker for deep sea fishing.

Every single chair so far has had wires cut. Those barbarians who were taking them out couldn’t be bothered to unplug them. No. Cut all the cords. Easily patched with standard computer power supply cables though. So far no issues with the electronics thankfully. Everything works on the six I’ve assembled. They even each have two 21v, 2amp lithium batteries in each chair to power the LED lights and seat recline function when the AC power is off. (Odd? - maybe a public theater code requirement?). They don’t need the batteries to run the electronics thankfully. I looked up the batteries. New, they cost over $100 each on eBay!

They seem to use about 5 watts on my power meter when they are just idling, and about 48 watts when the seat warmers are turned on.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-17-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #7517 of 7953 Old 02-17-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Could the front row be dropped a couple of inches, and the second raised another 2"? Then maybe those tactile subs could be pulled, to space the seating rows
closer together? A riser could be built, with a low platform then a second riser that is only foot rest area and that of the seats.
post #7518 of 7953 Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked the JVC today and got my shelf installed.

Just have to modify and reinstall that fabric panel now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_165308_1550544508460.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2527720   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_161051_HDR_1550544554695.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	2527722  

post #7519 of 7953 Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Weirdest thing found so far in the seats while cleaning and assembling? A 10 ounce lead sinker for deep sea fishing.
Serious props to Megan. When your husband finds fishing equipment in his theater, you know he's dove off the deep end. ^_^
Archaea, ChldsPlay and Ladeback like this.
post #7520 of 7953 Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Could the front row be dropped a couple of inches, and the second raised another 2"? Then maybe those tactile subs could be pulled, to space the seating rows
closer together? A riser could be built, with a low platform then a second riser that is only foot rest area and that of the seats.
Post 2018. I'll keep the immediate follow up discussion (with some additional pics to address your comment) in my room thread. Thanks for the consideration, the idea is appreciated.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57630520

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7521 of 7953 Old 02-20-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 396 Post(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5367
Quote:
Picked the JVC today and got my shelf installed.

Just have to modify and reinstall that fabric panel now.
Lord this has been painful.... Im seeing rs2000's popping up all over the place, yet, I still lie in wait for a shipment notification for my own.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #7522 of 7953 Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Lord this has been painful.... Im seeing rs2000's popping up all over the place, yet, I still lie in wait for a shipment notification for my own.
How long ago did you order?

post #7523 of 7953 Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally opened up the JVC. The thing is freakin huge (that's what she said).

Haven't had much time to mess with it. Basically just turned it on and setup 2 lens memories.

Initial impressions are that I basically went from a normal theater to a Dolby Cinema. I'll dig in deeper this weekend, but tonight I'm watchimg HTTYD 2 since I'm seeing 3 tomorrow night.
Archaea likes this.

post #7524 of 7953 Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Finally opened up the JVC. The thing is freakin huge (that's what she said).

Haven't had much time to mess with it. Basically just turned it on and setup 2 lens memories.

Initial impressions are that I basically went from a normal theater to a Dolby Cinema. I'll dig in deeper this weekend, but tonight I'm watchimg HTTYD 2 since I'm seeing 3 tomorrow night.
Dude... considering you're not one for hyperbole, that's too awesome. Enjoy the new toy, man! :-)
Archaea likes this.
post #7525 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chiptouz likes this.

post #7526 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Everything is just quick shots with my phone, so I'm not sure they show what I was seeing very well.
Everything I watched so far was just using the straight out of the box settings, with only zoom/focus and position adjusted.

The pictures of HTTYD2 are from the blu-ray (didn't upgrade that to 4K - not that it would have mattered last night - more on that in a moment). I also didn't pause the image to take a picture, so they were taken with the image in motion, so there is quite a bit of blur. Overall, the picture is just a lot sharper and has more brightness and pop (or it at least appears to be brighter - might just be the improved contrast).

I am having some issues with 4K that I discovered after the movie was over. I'm still trying to figure those out. Not sure if it's a setting issue, a cable issue, or something else.

When I went to finally play some 4K content, unfortunately, I saw that the projector was being fed 1080p from the Zappiti One. Went through settings and couldn't find anything for 4K. On the "TV System" setting, I had selected auto, but of the other available selections, the highest it went to was 1080p, there was no 4K resolution listed.

Then I went to my Xbox One S, and it immediately said I had a 4K display and asked if I wanted to change the resolution. I clicked yes, and then the screen went blank and said no signal. I had to turn off my receiver (Yamaha A3050) and turn it back on to get a picture again - and that was the Xbox saying that the attempt didn't work. I checked the details screen, and it said my TV system was capable of 4K, but then said I wasn't able to do some other things. I went through some of the troubleshooting steps on the Xbox and got a few more of the items checked off, but most still said they wouldn't work. After this, I did get a 4K signal when watching Netflix, however, it was not HDR. Zappiti is still just doing 1080p.

I'm not sure if I'm just not having the settings right, or if there is something wrong with 1 or more of my devices (or cables - ugh).

post #7527 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Glad you are liking it!

Probably the cables causing you not to be able to run 4k

Think your shelf on the back wall will vibrate with the bass? I think Sheldons back wall moves like 2”. My back wall moves a lot too. I recently had to tighten it back up again with more screws. The back walls seem to get hit with a lot of bass vibration. (More so than a ceiling mount in my room anyway)

Last edited by Archaea; 02-22-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #7528 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep reading all these issues with trying to get 4K to work and even the streaming services aren't offering much content or are a pain to use. Guess I will continue to wait for prices to come down or just get an Epson Faux 4K till it gets better. The NX7 is way out my price range and that thing is huge. I thought the Epson's were big.

On 4K for cartoons, does it really add that much or just make it brighter? I've not seen much 4K so just wondering.

Looks pretty good for photos taken while the movie was playing. You may be saving on tickets to the Dolby Cinema soon.

post #7529 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It might, but I don't think it will any more than the Panasonic where it is. I didn't notice any vibration last night with the movie, but it didn't seem all that bass heavy (certainly nothing like the final battle scene of the first one).

I think I almost killed my Yamaha last night. I had HTTYD2 at -4, and it easily would have been perfectly fine at reference and a little above - doesn't seem to be a very loud mix. Then when I decided to try a few 4K files before going to bed, I played my Blade Runner 2049 file and jumped to a random point...without changing my volume. Wherever I jumped to was like full on bass and it just hit the room all at once and the Yamaha popped off for a brief second before coming back on.

post #7530 of 7953 Old 02-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 396 Post(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5367
Sounds like an HDMI cable to me as well bud. How old/What brand cable are you using currently? Fortunately there are finally now several good cables at decent prices that can pass 4k/HDR @60hz and at reasonable distances no less. Far from when you had to pay $250+ for a celerity fiberoptic (Although those are still a very good option).

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page