Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2324Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7531 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Sounds like an HDMI cable to me as well bud. How old/What brand cable are you using currently? Fortunately there are finally now several good cables at decent prices that can pass 4k/HDR @60hz and at reasonable distances no less. Far from when you had to pay $250+ for a celerity fiberoptic (Although those are still a very good option).
Monoprice Redmere's that I got maybe 3 months ago.

Apparently, my Yamaha has 2 different 4K modes, and the default is pretty limiting, so that might be part (if not all) of the issue. I'll have to try to change that when I get home. I really don't want to have to swap cables (even if it's only a straight 6 foot run down the inside of the wall).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7532 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Monoprice Redmere's that I got maybe 3 months ago.

Apparently, my Yamaha has 2 different 4K modes, and the default is pretty limiting, so that might be part (if not all) of the issue. I'll have to try to change that when I get home. I really don't want to have to swap cables (even if it's only a straight 6 foot run down the inside of the wall).
Interesting. Yea if it's only 6ft. then you should be able to pass at least 24hz stuff just fine with those. GL with the yammy settings.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #7533 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Interesting. Yea if it's only 6ft. then you should be able to pass at least 24hz stuff just fine with those. GL with the yammy settings.
Well, the cable is 25 foot. The 6 foot is just the part that I'd have to pull through the wall if I needed to replace them.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7534 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Well, the cable is 25 foot. The 6 foot is just the part that I'd have to pull through the wall if I needed to replace them.
This is why I will be adding pull strings in conduit when and ever I got my build going again.
chiptouz likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #7535 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
This is why I will be adding pull strings in conduit when and ever I got my build going again.
This case isn't too bad. 6' straight down from close to the ceiling to the floor. The only real issue is the part by the floor is under the stairs and I have to get down there on the dusty floor and hope I don't hit my head or get a face full of spider web.
Ladeback likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7536 of 7901 Old 02-22-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I switched the mode on my receiver, and all the items on the xbox list are now listed as good (except Dolby Vision). So, it looks like it's working there (though I guess the netflix app on xbox has weird hdr issues? On the main screen all the title images have weird color, but the previews and actual videos seem more normal). Should I use 12 bit color depth on the xbox?

When I switched to the Zappiti, and it was on the TV System setting. This time is listed a ton more resolutions including 4k. But for some reason "Auto" was gone. I backed out of that and went back in, and now it is back to only listing like 6 resolutions up to 1080. So, I am still only getting 1080p there amd not sure exactly what happened with it.

So, I get 4K/HDR in one place, but not the other. Frustrating.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7537 of 7901 Old 02-23-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I switched the mode on my receiver, and all the items on the xbox list are now listed as good (except Dolby Vision). So, it looks like it's working there (though I guess the netflix app on xbox has weird hdr issues? On the main screen all the title images have weird color, but the previews and actual videos seem more normal). Should I use 12 bit color depth on the xbox?

When I switched to the Zappiti, and it was on the TV System setting. This time is listed a ton more resolutions including 4k. But for some reason "Auto" was gone. I backed out of that and went back in, and now it is back to only listing like 6 resolutions up to 1080. So, I am still only getting 1080p there amd not sure exactly what happened with it.

So, I get 4K/HDR in one place, but not the other. Frustrating.
As you have heard the cables are notorious for not passing a UHD signal even if they are rated to do so. Especially long lengths. I have even had cables fail after working for awhile. So just because they were fine at one time does not mean that they will stay that way. Very frustrating since you can never rule it out. My length is no more than 6 feet which really helps. It would be best to take the UHD player into the room with the projector and use a short cable first. Then use a longer length. Then add in the AVR etc.

I think your projector should automatically detect an HDR signal and switch its mode or at least mine does. So I'm not sure why your colors should look off. Could be the proper signal is not being sent? While the projector is switching there could be a long delay. This can present a problem when setting up a new device because while the projector is going through a lengthy sync time the device could be sending a message on the display that verifies you can still see a picture. Like "if you can see this message press something". But then it defaults to non HDR if no button press. So a few times I have had to press the enter button while the screen is still blank to make sure the device knows that I actually do have a faux K and HDR capable projector.

I don't know about the Xbox since mine is the launch day version and does not have UHD capability. It does have Dolby Atmos though which is totally awesome and worth it more than UHD in fact. So make sure that you get that part of it set up if nothing else.

Do you have a UHD player? I would use that to troubleshoot first thing. That way you know for sure you are actually sending a UHD source. One thing you want to make sure of is that you are checking that you are getting a UHD signal sent from source to display (instead of just looking at what resolution the projector is outputting). So you can check the info button on the JVC for that if it is like mine but I think it is helpful to check the info button on the UHD player to see what it is sending. My Oppo has a button that shows exactly what is being output which is useful.

I would try to bypass the AVR altogether as well and rule that out. I have had compatibility issues with UHD signals with my AVR in the chain even though it is on passthrough for the video signal. When I bypass the AVR it goes through issue free.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #7538 of 7901 Old 02-23-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
As you have heard the cables are notorious for not passing a UHD signal even if they are rated to do so. Especially long lengths. I have even had cables fail after working for awhile. So just because they were fine at one time does not mean that they will stay that way. Very frustrating since you can never rule it out. My length is no more than 6 feet which really helps. It would be best to take the UHD player into the room with the projector and use a short cable first. Then use a longer length. Then add in the AVR etc.

I think your projector should automatically detect an HDR signal and switch its mode or at least mine does. So I'm not sure why your colors should look off. Could be the proper signal is not being sent? While the projector is switching there could be a long delay. This can present a problem when setting up a new device because while the projector is going through a lengthy sync time the device could be sending a message on the display that verifies you can still see a picture. Like "if you can see this message press something". But then it defaults to non HDR if no button press. So a few times I have had to press the enter button while the screen is still blank to make sure the device knows that I actually do have a faux K and HDR capable projector.

I don't know about the Xbox since mine is the launch day version and does not have UHD capability. It does have Dolby Atmos though which is totally awesome and worth it more than UHD in fact. So make sure that you get that part of it set up if nothing else.

Do you have a UHD player? I would use that to troubleshoot first thing. That way you know for sure you are actually sending a UHD source. One thing you want to make sure of is that you are checking that you are getting a UHD signal sent from source to display (instead of just looking at what resolution the projector is outputting). So you can check the info button on the JVC for that if it is like mine but I think it is helpful to check the info button on the UHD player to see what it is sending. My Oppo has a button that shows exactly what is being output which is useful.

I would try to bypass the AVR altogether as well and rule that out. I have had compatibility issues with UHD signals with my AVR in the chain even though it is on passthrough for the video signal. When I bypass the AVR it goes through issue free.
I do still have my Phillips 4K player that isn't connected. I could try it, but I'm fairly sure it's the cables now. It does kick into HDR mode when I go to Netflix on the Xbox. The color issue there is just the pictures you highlight to select what you want to watch. Those pictures have odd coloring. However, when you highlight one and the preview plays, that looks fine. And when I play a title, that looks fine too. I have read that the Netflix app always puts HDR mode on, even when you watch SDR content, but I'm not sure that's why those pictures would look that way.

The Zappiti could be moved, but I'd have to drag some external drives with it. I don't think I have any of my 4K files on the internal hard drive. I did unplug and move cables and then put them back, and eventually did get it to output a 4K signal. It did not, however, output HDR. So, I'm thinking it's struggling a bit with the cables. It got to work well enough to do just 4K, but was still limited to 8 bit and not doing HDR. I did try going directly from the Zappiti to the JVC, but that didn't make a difference. So, it seems like it's working well enough with the Xbox to get HDR, but struggling for some reason getting full bandwidth with the Zappiti.

I have ordered new cables that should be here Monday, so hopefully that will work. I got long and short cables so I can handle any part of the change (I hope).

On a side note, when I finally got a 4K signal from the Zappiti, the 3D functionality started working too. That's something that had never worked on the Zappiti, and they were actually asking me to send it in so they could look at it. Maybe my other redmere cables going to the Panny were having the same issue of not providing enough bandwidth. Though, other devices passed 3D through those cables as well, so maybe there is an issue with the signal that Zappiti puts out that requires a better cable.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7539 of 7901 Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
To add to this, the next time I started up my Xbox and went to Netflix, all of the colors were fine, so I guess that just needed to restart. The Zappiti has once again lost the ability for 4K (and 3D), so even getting that isn't going to be consistent it looks like. Hopefully, the cables arriving today take care of that. I will unhook some things from the Zappiti so I can test it out closer, just to rule out an issue with the Zappiti itself.

I did pop in the disc for A Star is Born just to make sure that was working on the XBox One as well, and kind of had a "Holy S*" moment when the WB logo popped up on screen. It was far and away (and I do mean far) the best image I'd ever seen on my screen. And that goes for the few minutes of the film I watched as well. Made me think, "This is why I spent all that money."

Hopefully, I get the stupid Zappiti working right so I don't have to use the discs. Still no real adjustments to settings. Once it's broken in a little, it'll get calibrated.
chirpie and jedimastergrant like this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7540 of 7901 Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
New cables appeared to work when testing. Now I just need to run the long one through the wall. I taped one end to the existing HDMI cord to pull it through already, but unfortunately realized too late that It would have been better to pull from the other side since I'd know exactly when to stop (when I had enough cable to reach the projector).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7541 of 7901 Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Poor man's ceiling speakers for atmospheric audio?

https://www.microcenter.com/single_p...a-710302e71efb
Archaea is online now  
post #7542 of 7901 Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Poor man's ceiling speakers for atmospheric audio?

https://www.microcenter.com/single_p...a-710302e71efb
I'd like to try it out, but I think it only has a Bluetooth input. So I'm not sure how to get the RCA out from the AVR to those speakers.
JDontee is offline  
post #7543 of 7901 Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I'd like to try it out, but I think it only has a Bluetooth input. So I'm not sure how to get the RCA out from the AVR to those speakers.


If it’s a speaker it has positive and negative terminals that can be wired into. Where’s your DIY creativity?

Nearly everyone has lights on the ceiling. NOT everyone has JBL speakers in the ceiling.

Thus poor man’s atmos speakers!


I jest...mostly...I actually have a friend at work that might truly do something like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #7544 of 7901 Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Any more news of a get together? I definitely need to hear @Ladeback s and @d_c ’s systems but I am sure there are so many more. I even need to make another trip to @Archaea ’s house to hear the new and improved setup.

I’m getting close to having my setup done so we can add that to the list. 3 more panels to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds
chiptouz is offline  
post #7545 of 7901 Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Fabric panel modified and back up.

Everything's done now. Time to break it in.

chirpie, chiptouz and d_c like this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7546 of 7901 Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I spoke too soon about getting a good signal. Zappiti not wanting to do HDR, and sometimes still goes to 1080p.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7547 of 7901 Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5321
Zappiti doesn't sound like it's playing very nicely. It also sounds like a pasta dish, not a piece of electronics. Maybe that's the problem. Place in oven covered at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
ChldsPlay, cvinfig, d_c and 3 others like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #7548 of 7901 Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Member
 
lstek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: KC
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If ok to post, is there someone in the KC area who calibrates projectors for a reasonable amount? Benq W5000
Thanks.
lstek is offline  
post #7549 of 7901 Old 03-03-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Zappiti doesn't sound like it's playing very nicely. It also sounds like a pasta dish, not a piece of electronics. Maybe that's the problem. Place in oven covered at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
I think I may have figured out a somewhat annoying solution. It seems to work when I do a "hard" (using the remote) power off and power back on instead of using standby. The zappiti doesn't accept a power on command from iRule's IP control if it's fully powered off, so I'd either have to walk into the next room and use the remote, or setup some commands on iRule using IR and connect an emitter.

Of course, another problem I have found with Zappiti, is that it doesn't pass the MaxCLL/MaxFALL data that the new JVCs use for their Auto Tone Mapping feature. That's one of the big selling points of the JVCs. I'm looking at possibly getting an Nvidia Shield as I read they recently added that capability, but I don't know how much setup would be involved getting a good poster wall with my files.

Anyone have experience with the Shield? Plex seemed like it might work until I saw it didn't work with BDMV folder structure. Not going to re-rip half my collection (200 titles or so).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7550 of 7901 Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Viewed some 4K videos on youtube and took some pictures (with my phone):



































Probably no big deal to others who have had JVC or other good projectors, but coming from the AE8000, I'm not used to seeing this.

Checked out The Expanse on Amazon Prime and it was such a huge jump from watching Directv on my living room TV. Like a completely different show.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 03-04-2019 at 10:55 AM.
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7551 of 7901 Old 03-03-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
If ok to post, is there someone in the KC area who calibrates projectors for a reasonable amount? Benq W5000
Thanks.
@desertdome

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #7552 of 7901 Old 03-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

@Archaea does @desertdome also calibrates display panels too? What about the audio side as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds
chiptouz is offline  
post #7553 of 7901 Old 03-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Ok all my absorption panels done. Let me know what you think.










Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Archaea, d_c and JDontee like this.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds
chiptouz is offline  
post #7554 of 7901 Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
@Archaea does @desertdome also calibrates display panels too? What about the audio side as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He definately does. You might send him a PM. I know he’s building a house right now and may not be checking the forums as regularly.
chiptouz likes this.
Archaea is online now  
post #7555 of 7901 Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

@ChldsPlay
And @stitch1
And @Scrappydue

I watched this today

I only own one 4k disk right now (greatest Showman and I don't think I noticed a problem there?) but I don’t have much experience with 4k disks yet.

It appears the Panasonic AE8000U may not handle 4k disk signal very well? It knocks the brightness way down? have you observed this with your projectors? Or is that unique to his setup?


Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 03-05-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Archaea is online now  
post #7556 of 7901 Old 03-05-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@ChldsPlay
And @stitch1
And @Scrappydue

I watched this today

I only own one 4k disk right now so I don’t have experience here.

It appears the Panasonic AE8000u may not handle 4k disk signal very well? It knocks the brightness way down? have you observed this with your projectors? Or is that unique to his setup?

https://youtu.be/qR1xpCBAtdc
It varies. When I played the 4K files from my Zappiti, they tended to be a lot brighter and washed out. When playing a disc on my Xbox One (very rarely - so poor sample size), it seemed closer to natural. They have different algorithms as far as converting HDR to SDR. Regardless of what I played them on, though, the brightness/colors were never right. I could get them "watchable" mostly, but it always bugged me. Different titles are affected in different ways. The Matrix 4K is much darker than most of my other titles. I had a saved setting on the Panny for the majority of the HDR titles, and another saved setting for just The Matrix (there may have been one other I used this for).

Even with projectors that can do 4K HDR with the proper color space and all that can have trouble with some titles because they aren't capable of anywhere close to the brightness that TVs are and what HDR is designed for. This is why people have had custom curves and want auto tone mapping like the new JVC's have. Of course, that too is somewhat reliant on the metadata being accurate and passed through HDMI (just found out the Zappiti does not pass the necessary info for the JVC tone mapping despite them telling me otherwise previously - thus my interest in the Shield TV).

Right now, it seems like the best way to handle proper tone mapping is with MadVR through and HTPC. It now analyses every frame individually for its tone mapping so it doesn't need that metadata I mentioned before (which only applies to the movie as a whole and not each frame). The downside is of course, requiring everything to go through a HTPC.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7557 of 7901 Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

Right now, it seems like the best way to handle proper tone mapping is with MadVR through and HTPC. It now analyses every frame individually for its tone mapping so it doesn't need that metadata I mentioned before (which only applies to the movie as a whole and not each frame). The downside is of course, requiring everything to go through a HTPC.
Only for the time being it appears tho. Looks like Madshi is rolling out a boxed solution... no need for HTPC. As good as MadvR appears to be from the reviews, I will find a way to have it in my room as soon as I actually have a projector again... Exciting times if Shi has an in-line box that'll do it. That's awesome.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #7558 of 7901 Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Only for the time being it appears tho. Looks like Madshi is rolling out a boxed solution... no need for HTPC. As good as MadvR appears to be from the reviews, I will find a way to have it in my room as soon as I actually have a projector again... Exciting times if Shi has an in-line box that'll do it. That's awesome.
Yeah, but it sounds like that will be quite pricey, so less of an option than an HTPC for most.

On a side note, I think I'll be selling my Lumagen soon. It's not going to do much (nothing) for me for 4K content, and with the JVC, I can mask off movies with shifting aspect ratios just as well.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #7559 of 7901 Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
The downside is of course, requiring everything to go through a HTPC.

Downside? Nuh-uh.
JDontee is offline  
post #7560 of 7901 Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Downside? Nuh-uh.
HTPC isn't the downside. The downside is the limited ways it (madVR) can be used. HTPC offers a lot, including the madVR option but is an additional cost and setup.
Tedd likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off