Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2666Likes

post #7561 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 348
All,

I am sure none of this would interest you but if you know of anyone looking for an entry level speaker set for HT please pass this along:

2x Cherry RTi-a7 - $250ea or $400 pair.
1x Cherry CSI-a6 - $200
1x Hsu VTF3-MK4 -$500

Compete package price $1000.

All in excellent condition. Cash. Local pickup only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone see Captain Marvel this weekend? Was a fun movie to watch. The LFE was insane. This will be a day 1 4k purchase for me.

Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
post #7563 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Anyone see Captain Marvel this weekend? Was a fun movie to watch. The LFE was insane. This will be a day 1 4k purchase for me.

I hope to see it this week maybe. Been a busy weekend.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7564 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I saw it Thursday night. Lower mid-tier to upper low-tier in my book. Some good, a lot of okay, a little "ugh", and a few moments I absolutely hated.

Sound seemed kind of low. Not sure if they turned the volume down in the Olathe Dolby screen. I noticed it with the trailers before the movie started.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7565 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 649 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3879
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Is there a lot of social justice warrior nonsense in the film?

I was reading there were many theaters where this was the only thing playing on all screens - all weekend long - potentially to ensure it had a strong opening weekend admist the controversy that they made Captain Marvel a female. Since there was nothing else playing on any screen the idea being that people who went to the theater would be forced to see that and the box office numbers would be solid!?!?!

Assuming that's true I probably won't support the film in the theater. (not that I go to too many films in the commercial theater anyway). Strong arm tactics and entertainment don't mix.

More info and confirmation here about the exclusive screening in some theaters:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...miere-weekend/

and lots of confirmation from movie goers here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/captain-marvel.1978332/

If you don't have a hardforum subscription (computer hardware) then you probably can't access the hardforum thread. I took a few snippets here off the first page.

Here’s a link with some of the backstory
https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marv...er-james-woods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lame.PNG
Views:	83
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	2537110  

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an unquantifiably great experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 03-11-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #7566 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I saw it Thursday night. Lower mid-tier to upper low-tier in my book. Some good, a lot of okay, a little "ugh", and a few moments I absolutely hated.

Sound seemed kind of low. Not sure if they turned the volume down in the Olathe Dolby screen. I noticed it with the trailers before the movie started.

Sounds was appropriate at the B&B in Longview Lee’s Summit. Just about perfect IMO.

post #7567 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I was reading there were many theaters where this was the only thing playing on all screens - all weekend long - potentially to ensure it had a strong opening weekend admist the controversy that they made Captain Marvel a female. Since there was nothing else playing on any screen the idea being that people who went to the theater would be forced to see that and the box office numbers would be solid!?!?!

Assuming that's true I probably won't support the film in the theater. (not that I go to too many films in the commercial theater anyway). Strong arm tactics and entertainment don't mix.

If you don't have a hardforum subscription (computer hardware) then you probably can't access the hardforum thread. I took a few snippets here off the first page.

@Archaea I went to the B&B in Longview and honestly didn’t check to see if the other theaters were all Captain Marvel. I am a very conservative person and didn’t feel that there was any outright social justice activity in it. I enjoyed the movie. But I don’t dig too deep into these super hero movies. If they are fun I enjoy them.

post #7568 of 8426 Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A little. Not as much as I was expecting. Some really cringe worthy and blatant (and completely unnecessary and not really in line with the rest of the movie) moments towards the end, though. I wouldn't say the main themes are along those lines, which makes those moments I mentioned even more jarring and out of place.

As for theaters only showing it, I hadn't heard anything about it. I did notice a lot of the posts you quoted were on a Tuesday. I know, at least at AMC, they generally don't update times for the upcoming weekend until Wednesday. The exceptions are new movies coming out that have tickets available for pre-order. I've often looked 3 or more days ahead and only had ticket options for one or two movies for the weekend.

LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 03-10-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #7569 of 8426 Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A little. Not as much as I was expecting. Some really cringe worthy and blatant (and completely unnecessary and not really in line with the rest of the movie) moments towards the end, though. I wouldn't say the main themes are along those lines, which makes those moments I mentioned even more jarring and out of place.

As for theaters only showing it, I hadn't heard anything about it. I did notice a lot of the posts you quoted were on a Tuesday. I know, at least at AMC, they generally don't update times for the upcoming weekend until Wednesday. The exceptions are new movies coming out that have tickets available for pre-order. I've often looked 3 or more days ahead and only had ticket options for one or two movies for the weekend.

@ChldsPlay I must have just tuned it out.

post #7570 of 8426 Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

Did you see Alita? I ended up liking that better. A little bit old-fashioned (I actually enjoyed having a snark-free action flick for a change), but it spoke to me as an 80's-90's kid.
ZLTFUL and Ladeback like this.
post #7571 of 8426 Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Did you see Alita? I ended up liking that better. A little bit old-fashioned (I actually enjoyed having a snark-free action flick for a change), but it spoke to me as an 80's-90's kid.
Twice (Dolby 2D and Dolby 3D). Flawed, but pretty enjoyable. Liked it better the 2nd time. I'll probably buy it, but being unsure about a sequel is making me hesitant.

post #7572 of 8426 Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Twice (Dolby 2D and Dolby 3D). Flawed, but pretty enjoyable. Liked it better the 2nd time. I'll probably buy it, but being unsure about a sequel is making me hesitant.
Agreed. I seem to be a sucker for movies that swing and miss but at least feel like they swung hard for what they were going for. (Dune, Akira, Speed Racer, etc. Let's call it the lovable losers club...) The film's biggest issue is that it leaves a lot on the table for the future. I think a sequel all depends on James Cameron lobbying hard for it, since it did well but not great in China. And that in turn will depend on how much clout he has left along with the payday of the Avatar sequels.

Darn shame, considering I thought the girl power vibe from Alita was more genuine than Captain Marvel. Oh, the irony.
post #7573 of 8426 Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife and I seen Alita at Berrywoods AMC Dolby Cinema in 3D. We liked the movie, but not how it ended. Also I didn't see any real big parts that made it worthy of 3D. May go see Captain Marvel this week some time.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #7574 of 8426 Old 03-16-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone local interested in buying a Lumagen Radiance XS-3D? I no longer have a need for it.

post #7575 of 8426 Old 03-17-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Agreed. I seem to be a sucker for movies that swing and miss but at least feel like they swung hard for what they were going for. (Dune, Akira, Speed Racer, etc. Let's call it the lovable losers club...) The film's biggest issue is that it leaves a lot on the table for the future. I think a sequel all depends on James Cameron lobbying hard for it, since it did well but not great in China. And that in turn will depend on how much clout he has left along with the payday of the Avatar sequels.

Darn shame, considering I thought the girl power vibe from Alita was more genuine than Captain Marvel. Oh, the irony.
I'm also a fan of those movies Chirp.

I liked Alita. Flaws and all. Saw it in Dolby Prime 3D. It was good 3D but I'm looking forward to another viewing in my HT in 2D.

Saw Captain Marvel while on vacation on Sanibel Island at the Island Cinema. It was by far the worst "commercial" cinema I have ever been to. Here is a link https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowEHoECAIQBg . The room was about 17 feet wide with a screen of maybe 12 feet across. If you sit in the first row your viewing angle is good but your neck is broken from looking straight up. There are 5 seats across and you sit so far back it reminds you of the old CRT days when 36" was HUGE! The volume levels were low enough that I could not hear some of the dialogue. There was NO subwoofer! Or it wasn't on take your pick. I'm guessing nothing below 80-100 Hz was played back.

Of course I don't have a problem with movies that have social commentary. I mean most movies do. Actually the BEST movies do! I'm hard pressed to come up with many movies I enjoy that are literally void of social commentary. However, this one did try too hard to get their point across. It became annoying and got in the way of the story in my opinion. Thankfully I was still able to enjoy it. I went in expecting those themes. And like I said if you expect your movies to be void of social commentary then good luck to you.

On the other hand Alita played out its girl power message in a different manner and it was more enjoyable as a result. It did not draw attention to itself in the same way. It felt more natural and it was to the stories benefit. I hope that in the future script writers don't feel the need to beat us over the head with their social commentary in the same way that the folks who wrote Captain Marvel did.
chirpie likes this.
post #7576 of 8426 Old 03-21-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'll host a little g2g and movie night on Saturday March 30, starting at 7PM to show off the thirteen JBL CBT 70J-1 in action. The only local that's heard them since I fixed the crossover issue is stitch1.

If you are interested in attending let me know. If you haven't attended one of our local movie nights - please know they are super informal and easy going. If you need my address in Blue Springs, send me a PM and I'll get it to you. I'll have some demo time at first, then we'll watch a movie, play air hockey on my new table, play a xbox game, visit, or whatever. I'm looking forward to it, it's been too long since our group has gotten together. See you next Sat!

Also, @d_c , and I are attending Axpona this year in Chicago, April 12-14. If anyone else from KC area is going - sound off so we can make sure and catch you there. I know there's a big group of guys going, beastaudio, popalock, gorialla83, chopshop, dlbeck, lukeamdman, desertdome, eng-399 to name a few.

208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an unquantifiably great experience!

Last edited by Archaea; 03-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #7577 of 8426 Old 03-21-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
I'm in, thanks for hosting.
post #7578 of 8426 Old 03-21-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm interested. Just have to make sure we don't have anything going on that night (unlikely).

Something else to look forward to:

https://youtu.be/pU8-7BX9uxs

post #7579 of 8426 Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am interested as well. I will need to check with boss to make it's cool. It will cool to hear the new speakers.

post #7580 of 8426 Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
post #7581 of 8426 Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I will be there. Carp, can you bring my sunglasses I left in your car on our last trip north? Thanks.
post #7582 of 8426 Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
I will be there. Carp, can you bring my sunglasses I left in your car on our last trip north? Thanks.
Sure thing, they are in my glove box.
post #7583 of 8426 Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If any of you Stranger Things fans haven't picked up either season, they are 50% off at Target with cartwheel right now. I picked up the UHD for seasons 1 and 2 for a total of $20.

post #7584 of 8426 Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
If any of you Stranger Things fans haven't picked up either season, they are 50% off at Target with cartwheel right now. I picked up the UHD for seasons 1 and 2 for a total of $20.
Kevin it looks like season 2 is out of stock within 100 miles. I tried the cartwheel but I think it is only for items that are in stock locally. Is that true? If I use the option to ship to store it wants you to pay for the item beforehand and I didn't see the option to apply the cartwheel 50 percent off barcode when you do that. Am I missing something?

Season 1 is in stock locally so that should be no problem. IMO it's worth $10 even if you have Netflix 4K streaming option since the AV quality is usually so much better especially for audio. But with Dolby Atmos streaming the gap can be significantly closed.

Trailer for Season 3 of Stranger Things looks incredible!
post #7585 of 8426 Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Kevin it looks like season 2 is out of stock within 100 miles. I tried the cartwheel but I think it is only for items that are in stock locally. Is that true? If I use the option to ship to store it wants you to pay for the item beforehand and I didn't see the option to apply the cartwheel 50 percent off barcode when you do that. Am I missing something?

Season 1 is in stock locally so that should be no problem. IMO it's worth $10 even if you have Netflix 4K streaming option since the AV quality is usually so much better especially for audio. But with Dolby Atmos streaming the gap can be significantly closed.

Trailer for Season 3 of Stranger Things looks incredible!
I am not sure if it has to be in stock locally. I know it can't be shipped to you and has to be picked up in the store. So, I am not sure if ship to store applies or not. I know supply was limited. I had to pickup each set at a different store as I got notified one wasn't available at my selected store after I made the order.

When I did it, I went to cartwheel, added the deal, then signed into target, added the items (with store pickup checked) and it applied the cartwheel discounts automatically. There was a notification on the right by the total in the cart/checkout that said they were applied.

Unfortunately, the season 1 audio is gimped on the UHD discs. It's not even TrueHD. They crammed 8 episodes onto 2 discs. The blu-rays have the TrueHD, but not the UHD. Very poor choice on their part. Thankfully, season 2 is spread across 3 discs and doesn't have that problem.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 03-23-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #7586 of 8426 Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

@Randy Bessinger @ChldsPlay @carp @Luke Kamp @Ladeback

For those of you potentially attending my g2g next sat.

Have you seen Free Solo? I’ve not, but want to.

I’m trying to think of a neat, recent movie no one has seen.

As to best demos for audio? We can demo some we’ll known clips to showcase the sound system. For the movie it might be neat to show a movie no one is bored with or has seen recently?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Archaea; 03-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #7587 of 8426 Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see Solo when it came out, but would see it again. I have heard it's kind lacking in 4K quality and sound. I got Ready Player One for Christmas because I liked it and I hear good things about it for testing a system. I also have Blade Runner 2049. I am up for anything. I haven't seen Immortal engines, would anybody interested in that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #7588 of 8426 Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I see Solo when it came out, but would see it again. I have heard it's kind lacking in 4K quality and sound. I got Ready Player One for Christmas because I liked it and I hear good things about it for testing a system. I also have Blade Runner 2049. I am up for anything. I haven't seen Immortal engines, would anybody interested in that?

I’ve not seen immortal engines and would watch that, though I heard it was not that great a movie.

I’ve not seen Valerian and it’s supposed to have good Dolby Atmos Audio

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/a...r-atmos-system

Last edited by Archaea; 03-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #7589 of 8426 Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Randy Bessinger @ChldsPlay @carp @Luke Kamp @Ladeback

For those of you potentially attending my g2g next sat.

Have you seen Free Solo? I’ve not, but want to.

I’m trying to think of a neat, recent movie no one has seen.

As to best demos for audio? We can demo some we’ll known clips to showcase the sound system. For the movie it might be neat to show a movie no one is bored with or has seen recently?

Thoughts?
I have not seen Free Solo, so I'd be good with that. Wasn't a fan of Mortal Engines or Valerion.

A Star is Born had an awesome mix in the theaters, and I have only checked a few minutes at home and it's been pretty good so far.

I'm all for movies I haven't seen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

Solo, or Free Solo? Free Solo is the rock climbing movie.

post #7590 of 8426 Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not seen Free Solo, so I'd be good with that. Wasn't a fan of Mortal Engines or Valerion.

A Star is Born had an awesome mix in the theaters, and I have only checked a few minutes at home and it's been pretty good so far.

I'm all for movies I haven't seen, though.

Solo, or Free Solo? Free Solo is the rock climbing movie.
Never heard of Free Solo. In not much into rock climbing. Watched the trailer, looked kind of boring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page