Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2323Likes

post #7591 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I have not seen Free Solo so that would be fine with me. I know not everyone into horror but A Quiet Place has a really active Atmos mix with lots of bass at times. I watched it last night. Well done scary movie. Just an FYI. Frankly, I am good with anything. If you like gore, action, and surround effects, Overlord has plenty of those. I have it and can bring if you like.

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 03-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I plan on coming and Free Solo looks like a good flick to watch. Anything is fine with me.
post #7593 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I would be up for Overlord. Haven't seen a good gore action flick in a while.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
I'm up for whatever the consensus is.
post #7595 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Free solo is quite the documentary. Not much of an AV experience...good on an iPad, but definitely worth it. Will make you ask "what the hell?" at least a thousand times.
post #7596 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Looks like I can't go. I guess my wife's cousin is having a get together to celebrate passing her nurse practitioner exam and it'll be at 5:30 near The Legends, so no way I'd be able to get out there in time for much.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7597 of 7897 Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also have the Spiderman Into the Spider Universe and will have Aquaman if anyone is interested in those.
post #7598 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Just... dang it dang it. We haven't had a single night this year where we had made plans in advance except the 30th. Bleh! Have fun!
post #7599 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Just... dang it dang it. We haven't had a single night this year where we had made plans in advance except the 30th. Bleh! Have fun!
@JDontee , and you may have your own screening at your leisure since you aren't able to make it this sat. My schedule is generally pretty flexible -- when you're in the area, or bored let me know.
chirpie likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7600 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

My brother in law sent this to me.

$219 for a 7 channel Yamaha Atmos / DTS-X AVR.

That’s really a great price.

https://www.woot.com/offers/yamaha-7...f703220a240611

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7601 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Some great suggestions so far for movies. Mortal Engines is supposedly some excellent eye candy with a decent enough soundtrack. Heard good things about overlord as well. Cloverfield Paradox is another good one that ties into the overall CF universe, but also has some incredible bass.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #7602 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Some great suggestions so far for movies. Mortal Engines is supposedly some excellent eye candy with a decent enough soundtrack. Heard good things about overlord as well. Cloverfield Paradox is another good one that ties into the overall CF universe, but also has some incredible bass.
That's another that I'm on the fence about buying. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as some people made it out to be, but I didn't think it was all that great either. Definitely not something I would buy on its own. However, I feel this need to get it so I have all of the Cloverfield films.

Speaking of films I bought because of the collection it's a part of more than how much I liked the movie...is anyone interested in buying the UK import of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald? I pre-ordered that version because the extended edition was on an actual disc and not digital only like in the U.S. Then I decided I didn't care and just got the US version, but forgot I had pre-ordered the UK version until I got a shipping notice from Amazon.

Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
post #7603 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What about The Girl in the Spider's Web? I haven't seen it and it looks good from the trailer I watched.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #7604 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards Free Solo. I'm not a climber either, and it may not be a typical movie night choice, but it'll be something no one has watched before - or so it seems, and frankly I'm in the mood for something inspirational towards real human capacity and success - apart from all the superhero stuff so popular lately.

I did a little background study on Alex Honnold and the guy is epically unique and inspirational in his humility and hard work.

Here's a short Ted talk that I found of keen interest.

He talks about Half Dome and how he nearly lost his life in that record climb, and how he didn't want to repeat that for his El Cap attempt. So he spent hundreds/thousands of hours over 7 years preparing for his ascent. He "didn't want to be a lucky climber, he wanted to be a great climber" He's super low key/matter of fact, and frankly a future tragedy in the making if he continues to pursues his sport -- so there's a bit of intrigue to the whole thing. Just the dichotomy of someone pursuing something inspirational, pressing the limits of human capacity, but realizing fully that their quest will be regularly confronting their own mortality. Everest was a really good film in that same vein.

We will have time before and after Free Solo for demoing other material, or if there's interest, we could possibly run a double header and play a second movie - one of these others recommended?

This isn't to prevent anyone from making further suggestions, I'm all for additional ideas. I read some reviews on Mortal Engines - good audio, good video, but B rated movie at best. Pacific Rim came to mind? ewwww. Pacific Rim...

I read some reviews on Aquaman - it's apparently the common "more is better" type story in superheroes now -- action, Action, and then MORE ACTION!!! -- CG galore, and not even having seen it yet, I'm feeling like this trailer would sum it up for me.

I'm craving more substance in my movies, because lately, the ones I've been watching seem to be lacking. More plot, more story, and less CG and explosions. (perhaps this is an artifact of my own making -- constantly chasing the best sound to demo in my theater room). I have many fantastic short clips on my NAS to play with JRiver - no shortage of intense demo material at the ready - but I don't particularly need a two hour movie of it.

Have those coming this time seen Unbroken? That has great Atmos, is supposed to be good and inspirational story, and might be an option, though it's older so perhaps some of you said you have seen it? The plane bombing/air fighters scene is one of my go to Atmos demos and pitifully, I still haven't seen the movie.
chirpie and jedimastergrant like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-25-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #7605 of 7897 Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am fine with anything.
post #7606 of 7897 Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see Unbroken in the theater, but would see it again. I have seen the bombing/fighter scene a few times as an Atmos demo and don't get tired of it. I would see it again. I never did see Mad Max Furry Road.

Although I may not make it. My do date night with wife since our son is doing a sleepover. Will let you know.

Last edited by Ladeback; 03-26-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #7607 of 7897 Old 03-27-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I'm craving more substance in my movies, because lately, the ones I've been watching seem to be lacking. More plot, more story, and less CG and explosions. (perhaps this is an artifact of my own making -- constantly chasing the best sound to demo in my theater room). I have many fantastic short clips on my NAS to play with JRiver - no shortage of intense demo material at the ready - but I don't particularly need a two hour movie of it.
If you are looking for films that engage I've got a few to recommend. They aren't eye candy or blow your ear drum out films though.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Gary Oldman stars as a spy tasked to come back to his old job to investigate a potential mole at MI:6. Set in the cold war with a star studded cast. Excellent film that will have you scrutinizing every character.

High and Low - 1950's film by Akira Kurosawa about a businessman on the verge of a major acquisition that will be the culmination of his career. The catch: his son is kidnapped and the ransom will ruin him financially and end his ambitions. The twist: the kidnappers got it wrong and have accidentally kidnapped his chauffeur's son instead. Save the life of a child not his own or ruin his own life and that of his family? That is the choice. Stunningly filmed with amazing performances. Subtitled.

Sorcerer (1977) - William Friedkin (The Exorcist, The French Connection) film about a group of men being paid a lot of money to transport explosives across the South American jungle. Roy Scheider headlines a rather interesting film on greed, survival and what we're capable of when pushed. Trivia - this film essentially ended Friedkin's career in Hollywood as it had a rather high budget and went up against a long shot sci-fi film from a rookie director named George Lucas. It did not recoup it's budget

Chinatown - Jack Nicholson stars as a private eye pulled into rather sinister web. I'm being vague here as I don't want to spoil anything. Faye Dunaway and John Huston co star. Great film.

Gattaca - Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman/Jude Law. What defines our potential - our spirit or the genetics we're built from?

If you enjoy High and Low, I can recommend about anything in Kurosawa's filmography. I've seen The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. Own but haven't watched Ran and The Hidden Fortress.

If you like police dramas The French Connection and the original Dirty Harry both hold up.

Have to put a mention for my favorite: Blade Runner. Stunning in 4K. Great atmospheric sci-fi. A film that, on the surface, can be enjoyed as a good period sci-fi film. But only shows it's depth on really peeling back the themes at play. If you watch it and think you've identified the hero and the villain, you haven't really examined the motivations in play.
Archaea and jedimastergrant like this.

post #7608 of 7897 Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
If you are looking for films that engage I've got a few to recommend. They aren't eye candy or blow your ear drum out films though.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Gary Oldman stars as a spy tasked to come back to his old job to investigate a potential mole at MI:6. Set in the cold war with a star studded cast. Excellent film that will have you scrutinizing every character.

High and Low - 1950's film by Akira Kurosawa about a businessman on the verge of a major acquisition that will be the culmination of his career. The catch: his son is kidnapped and the ransom will ruin him financially and end his ambitions. The twist: the kidnappers got it wrong and have accidentally kidnapped his chauffeur's son instead. Save the life of a child not his own or ruin his own life and that of his family? That is the choice. Stunningly filmed with amazing performances. Subtitled.

Sorcerer (1977) - William Friedkin (The Exorcist, The French Connection) film about a group of men being paid a lot of money to transport explosives across the South American jungle. Roy Scheider headlines a rather interesting film on greed, survival and what we're capable of when pushed. Trivia - this film essentially ended Friedkin's career in Hollywood as it had a rather high budget and went up against a long shot sci-fi film from a rookie director named George Lucas. It did not recoup it's budget

Chinatown - Jack Nicholson stars as a private eye pulled into rather sinister web. I'm being vague here as I don't want to spoil anything. Faye Dunaway and John Huston co star. Great film.

Gattaca - Ethan Hawke/Uma Thurman/Jude Law. What defines our potential - our spirit or the genetics we're built from?

If you enjoy High and Low, I can recommend about anything in Kurosawa's filmography. I've seen The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. Own but haven't watched Ran and The Hidden Fortress.

If you like police dramas The French Connection and the original Dirty Harry both hold up.

Have to put a mention for my favorite: Blade Runner. Stunning in 4K. Great atmospheric sci-fi. A film that, on the surface, can be enjoyed as a good period sci-fi film. But only shows it's depth on really peeling back the themes at play. If you watch it and think you've identified the hero and the villain, you haven't really examined the motivations in play.

Thanks for the list. The only one I’ve see on that list is Gattaca and I really liked that one! I’ll probably hunt a couple of those down and give them a shot!

post #7609 of 7897 Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
I'd like to see Free Solo.
post #7610 of 7897 Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a new home theater in the Northland you guys need to check out. @markb1234 , invited me over yesterday to check out his black hole concrete bunker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html

The theater was designed by Nyal Mellor and it was impressive. He did a music demonstration first it he definently has plenty of base for me. He did a the race scene from Ready Player One and it sounded good, but didn't really hear much out of his two height speakers. That was one reason he asked me to come over. He was also having a handshake issue with his HDMI from projector to Preamp. I told he needs to have a movie night and I think you guys could help him out out. His theater is built under his suspended garage. The ceiling is low and that may be one issue with the height channel.

Check out his thread I attached.
chirpie and Archaea like this.

post #7611 of 7897 Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On a couple of side notes -

I ordered a strip (6 yds) of velvet in the hopes that maybe I could reduce some reflections in front of the screen. I temporarily attached it using some black thumbtacks and some clips for plastic bags (clipped to the soffit molding). It's a pretty significant reduction in reflections and definitely helps the screen feel more isolated. It's definitely something I want to apply permanently. Just need to thinking about the best way I want to do it. I think I have a pretty good idea, but want to analyze it a little more before I do anything.

I also finally started playing God of War on PS4. It looks pretty gorgeous, but I'm a little unsure about the game itself at this point. The gameplay is kind of a mixture of the older games in the series and Tomb Raider/The Last of Us. While, I love all of those games - and recently finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider (great Atmos btw) - I'm not sure I'm liking how the styles combine. I'm not really sure the "button mashing" action style of the old GOW games really fits with the camera angle or the new aim and shoot mechanics implemented with the ax. It's a little odd getting used to the controls. I prefer the classic layout (square and triangle for attacks) for standard "button mashing" attacks, but prefer the new layout (R1 and R2) for the aim/shoot mechanics. Unfortunately, a mixture of both layouts is not an option. It's still fairly early on, so maybe I'll get used to it and start loving it more.

post #7612 of 7897 Old 03-28-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I have a new home theater in the Northland you guys need to check out. @markb1234 , invited me over yesterday to check out his black hole concrete bunker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html

The theater was designed by Nyal Mellor and it was impressive. He did a music demonstration first it he definently has plenty of base for me. He did a the race scene from Ready Player One and it sounded good, but didn't really hear much out of his two height speakers. That was one reason he asked me to come over. He was also having a handshake issue with his HDMI from projector to Preamp. I told he needs to have a movie night and I think you guys could help him out out. His theater is built under his suspended garage. The ceiling is low and that may be one issue with the height channel.

Check out his thread I attached.
Thank you for the kind words. It was great to meet you and I appreciate your ideas and feedback. I look forward to checking out your space. My theater is small and is most comfortable for three in the front and two in the back. I would enjoy the opportunity to host visitors and or a movie night(s) most anytime.
post #7613 of 7897 Old 03-28-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd love to check it out some time. It certainly doesn't look small, so if it is, the pictures do a good job of making it look bigger. It definitely looks like it's wider and has higher ceilings than my space.

post #7614 of 7897 Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
On a couple of side notes -

I ordered a strip (6 yds) of velvet in the hopes that maybe I could reduce some reflections in front of the screen. I temporarily attached it using some black thumbtacks and some clips for plastic bags (clipped to the soffit molding). It's a pretty significant reduction in reflections and definitely helps the screen feel more isolated. It's definitely something I want to apply permanently. Just need to thinking about the best way I want to do it. I think I have a pretty good idea, but want to analyze it a little more before I do anything.

I also finally started playing God of War on PS4. It looks pretty gorgeous, but I'm a little unsure about the game itself at this point. The gameplay is kind of a mixture of the older games in the series and Tomb Raider/The Last of Us. While, I love all of those games - and recently finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider (great Atmos btw) - I'm not sure I'm liking how the styles combine. I'm not really sure the "button mashing" action style of the old GOW games really fits with the camera angle or the new aim and shoot mechanics implemented with the ax. It's a little odd getting used to the controls. I prefer the classic layout (square and triangle for attacks) for standard "button mashing" attacks, but prefer the new layout (R1 and R2) for the aim/shoot mechanics. Unfortunately, a mixture of both layouts is not an option. It's still fairly early on, so maybe I'll get used to it and start loving it more.
I won't claim its' the easiest method. But the results were fantastic. It was very frustrating work. Over a year later it still looks great. It starts at post 741 in my thread. I detailed basically everything that you need. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...cinema-25.html

The screen floats in total blackness and it does a lot IMO to add to the total immersion. Your projector deserves it! This is one of those incremental things that adds up and you will not regret it.
post #7615 of 7897 Old 03-28-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to check it out some time. It certainly doesn't look small, so if it is, the pictures do a good job of making it look bigger. It definitely looks like it's wider and has higher ceilings than my space.
The back row is a couch and you could fit 3 if you don't mind not having a arm rest. As for the ceiling it is lower then you think, but have been in other theaters with lower a lower ceiling.

post #7616 of 7897 Old 03-29-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is there a lot of social justice warrior nonsense in the film?
Social Justice Warrior nonsense? Like, are you afraid there might be characters in there that easily gets offended by social issues? Speaking of people getting offended - a girl as a leading super hero?! Who would have thought! The world is just spiraling out of control.

Re: Disney. They pull that kind of **** all the time behind the scenes. Like come this December, there will (almost guaranteed) be a rule that if you want to play Star Wars at your theater, it needs to play on your biggest X amount of screens for 2-3 weeks straight, and also a certain (high) % of your screens for the same amount of time. Don't agree, sorry you don't get the biggest blockbuster of the year in your theater. If you are going to boycott Disney for their strong arm practices, you'll probably want to skip (in 2019):

Avengers: End Game
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
The Lion King
X-men
Frozen 2
Star Wars

Also definitely be sure to not subscribe to their streaming service. Disney Vault be damned.

Re: Captain Marvel. I'm going to try to catch it next week. I've been out of town since pretty much the day it came out. Looks pretty mediocre to me, but I've seen the rest of the films in the theater.
post #7617 of 7897 Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife and I liked Captain Marvel and it kind of filled in some holes in the storyline for me at least. I seen it in the B&B 270 degree X screen in Liberty. I am liking the new theater. We went at 10 am on Friday and there was us and maybe 3 or 4 other people. It was loaded then normal and guess that's because the theater wasn't fully of people to absorb the sound more. Nice having a mega theater all to your self. As most Marvel movies it's not going to win awards, but was entertaining.

post #7618 of 7897 Old 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
My wife and I liked Captain Marvel and it kind of filled in some holes in the storyline for me at least. I seen it in the B&B 270 degree X screen in Liberty. I am liking the new theater. We went at 10 am on Friday and there was us and maybe 3 or 4 other people. It was loaded then normal and guess that's because the theater wasn't fully of people to absorb the sound more. Nice having a mega theater all to your self. As most Marvel movies it's not going to win awards, but was entertaining.
How'd you like that wrap around screen?

I went to a similar setup in Dallas a few years ago (it was called Barco). We saw Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. I found it to be one of the worst viewing experiences I ever had. The projectors for the two side screens were in the room and very loud. In order for the screens to actually wrap around you, you had to sit way up in the front with low seats with terrible viewing angles. The two side screens were not matched to the main screen for color/brightness/etc. Most of the time, there wasn't actual shot footage for the side screens, so they just kind of had a blurred image with similar coloring to whatever was happening on the main screen. When there was footage, it often did not line up right with the main screen and sometimes you'd have half a character on the edge of the main screen, and then the side screen didn't have the other half of the character. Like the footage was taken at different times. Then of course there were the lines where the screens met. It was very distracting.

I don't know if the tech has improved much, or if Liberty's setup has improved on things to make it a better experience.

post #7619 of 7897 Old 03-29-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How'd you like that wrap around screen?

I went to a similar setup in Dallas a few years ago (it was called Barco). We saw Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. I found it to be one of the worst viewing experiences I ever had. The projectors for the two side screens were in the room and very loud. In order for the screens to actually wrap around you, you had to sit way up in the front with low seats with terrible viewing angles. The two side screens were not matched to the main screen for color/brightness/etc. Most of the time, there wasn't actual shot footage for the side screens, so they just kind of had a blurred image with similar coloring to whatever was happening on the main screen. When there was footage, it often did not line up right with the main screen and sometimes you'd have half a character on the edge of the main screen, and then the side screen didn't have the other half of the character. Like the footage was taken at different times. Then of course there were the lines where the screens met. It was very distracting.

I don't know if the tech has improved much, or if Liberty's setup has improved on things to make it a better experience.
We have seen two movie in the X theater with the wrap around screen. The first was Aquaman and it was pretty cool. When he dove into the water for the first time is when the projectors went active and was very clear sand did not seem that distorted to me. We then seen Captain Marvel in it recently and was good then as well. I didn't notice any noise coming from the projectors, but were siting in the middle of the theater. For Captain Marvel there was only about 3 or 4 others in the theater and it was louder then normal, because of not very many people. They are using a DTS-X format so it sound pretty good to me and the picture was in since it seemed to me. I like this theater and the other Grand screen, not to hip on the MX4D. I found it distracting to me and it was more of a ride than a theater. I'm not sure if Shawnee has the X screen or not, but I think it is worth a drive up to see a movie once in it if they have it. B&B also has a private theater called the Lyric that seats 36 people that would be fun to rent out for a movie night. I think they serve you food as well. That would be fun to go to for the next theater crawl maybe.

post #7620 of 7897 Old 03-29-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Jeremy Jahn's gave Captain Marvel a better time if he was drunk, so I will wait and rent.

I don't know what is in the movie, but this is a little background into the current climate and culture war that led up to the increased rhetoric on this particular flick.

Here is some Brie Larson

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

She indicated she wants fewer white men covering her Captain Marvel press tour. “About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...el-press-tour/
https://boundingintocomics.com/2018/...t-white-dudes/

According to her interview in InStyle magazine, Larson considers the film to her form of social justice activism, by making demands that cast and crew be diverse and pushing feminist messaging:

Part of the reason Larson took on the role of Marvel’s ultimate feminist icon, Captain Marvel, is due to the character’s own sense of humanity. “She didn’t apologize for herself,” Larson explains. “I felt like that was a really valuable trait, because she is incredibly flawed and makes a lot of mistakes … and has to ask to atone for them, and that is super valuable. She’s not ever shrinking herself down.”

It also linked back to her mission of filmmaking with a purpose. “The movie was the biggest and best opportunity I could have ever asked for,” Larson says. “It was, like, my superpower. This could be my form of activism: doing a film that can play all over the world and be in more places than I can be physically.”

InStyle later added…:

And what she can do is make an impact. Much of her drive these days is using her celebrity as a platform to push for social change. She is heavily involved in the Time’s Up movement, was one of the first actors to adopt an inclusion rider in her contract (mandating diversity in casting and production staff), and is a vocal advocate for representation in the media. As she begins her global Captain Marvel press tour, she has pledged to spotlight other women behind the scenes, insisting on gender and racial parity in the press and wearing mostly female designers. “Inclusion has to be a choice; it’s not happening naturally,” Larson says bluntly. “You really have to fight for it.”

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mor...el-going-suck/

Movie Co-Director Anna Boden
“I mean one the things that drew us to the character for sure was the fact that she was a really powerful, really interesting, really unique and independent female character. And we are so excited to be telling this story about somebody who’s not just powerful, but also really complicated and really interesting and really human. It’s not just a feminist movie, it’s also a humanist movie.”

From my digging into today's modern third wave feminism, it has little to do with actual equality of opportunity.

Here is some info on Marvel
In recent years, Marvel comics has led a progressive revolution, changing their superheroes into social justice warriors, and their villains into thinly veiled "conservatives."

One story saw Iron Man as a black teenage girl. Captain America is also a black woman in the Spider Gwen series. In the version in which Cap is still a white male, Marvel made him a Nazi (though they quickly back-peddled). Thor is now a woman as well. Miss Marvel is Muslim. A partially-robotic Donald Trump was made the villain in Spider Gwen Annual #1.

It's not subtle; it's obvious and forced.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/13267...ial-frank-camp

My take on it
I am sure the movie industry is great to work in. Netflix has literally made it so that nobody on set can look at anyone else for longer than five seconds, otherwise its equivalent to sexual harassment. You can spend 10 hours lighting a gay sex scene with Jussie Smollett on Empire with dialogue even gays laughed at back in the 80's. Meanwhile above the line, they caught the one guy that had a casting couch in Harvey Weinstein(ya right, in that morally bankrupt cesspool). Personally I hope more light is continued to be shown on the behind the scenes underbelly of Hollywood. In 1998 we had Will and Grace and have progressed in 2018 to Jazz Jennings transitioning on TLC and having the 11 year old trans kid 'Desmond is Amazing' on Good Morning America. Desmond has also danced on stage for money at an adult gay bar in NY as well as appeared on a YouTube show hosted by drag queen Michael Alig, who was recently released from a 17 year prison sentence for killing and dismembering his drug dealer.

I want scripts turned into films because they are good, not because they pass the “Bechdel test” or how many LGBTQ+ roles are within. Today's forced diversity by the Hollywood gatekeeper PC police is not being used as a quality control, but as a tool to make or break writers they want, and to push their "Progressive" neo-Marxist agenda. While not new, this arm of Operation Mockingbird narrative control using the magical wand made of hollywood to shape the minds of the masses how they want them to think instead of for themselves, has become blatantly obvious and movie quality/film making has degraded accordingly. Maybe I have gone too deep down rabbit holes and should pull back.

Basically I want badass characters that have an arc and growth like Sigourney Weaver as Ripley or Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner that just happen to be female and don't have to announce it and beat me over the head with it. Less political propaganda and more entertaining original content. Why pay to be talked down to off a soapbox? Its not funny, escapism, or enlightening.
chriscmore, carp, Archaea and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page