Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2306Likes

post #7801 of 7867 Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Was thinking I’d like to buy a 4k streaming media player for the Epson 5040UB.

Any single streaming player to rule them all?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-s...du-and-amazon/

Appears only Apple TV 4K can play all the major streaming services with Dolby Atmos and with HDR.

So I looked up a random YouTube review on the top streamers and learned the AppleTV can’t (inexplicably) play YouTube in 4k with HDR?

Timestamp 4:40

https://youtu.be/0doqE2cLzVU

Anyone have an Apple TV 4K that could confirm this limitation with YouTube and HDR and 4K — in hopes it’s just a limitation of that reviewers setup.

I have a Amazon Fire Cube for our living room 5.1v setup, but don't have a 4K TV to try it out yet. I was looking at the NVIDIA SHIELD TV for my theater. It looked interesting and I thought it did do Dolby Atmos and HDR, not sure though. Also you can get a game controller to play online games I believe.

I am interested in what others have to say, because I am thinking of dropping Google Fiber TV and just stream everything to save a little money.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7867 Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Was thinking I’d like to buy a 4K HDR, Atmos capable streaming media player for the Epson 5040UB. I primarily use Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I have Vudu, and iTunes accounts as well. I don't have Hulu.

Was trying to see which streaming device was the one to buy.

Appears only Apple TV 4K can play all the major streaming services with Dolby Atmos and with HDR.

So I also looked up a random YouTube review on the top streamers and learned the AppleTV can’t (inexplicably) play YouTube in 4K with HDR? Well that's a deal breaker, as YouTube has all those neat 4k demo uploads.

Anyone have an Apple TV 4K that could confirm this limitation with YouTube and HDR and 4K — in hopes it’s just a limitation of that particular reviewers setup. If true I guess I’ll keep waiting for ‘next gen’

I'll try out YouTube tonight (hopefully). One really, really nice thing about the ATV is you can set it to always output 4K HDR instead of the native signal. I found this to be a HUGE benefit with my JVC projector as before I'd get video drop-outs as the resolution changed and the handshake was re-established. Before with my Samsung UHD player, I'd get a video dropout whenever I started a video on YouTube and then another when going back to the menu.

EDIT: If you happen to know the title of a 4K video I could search for on YouTube to test with, that'd be great.
post #7803 of 7867 Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 599 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3735 Post(s)
Liked: 3509
@cvinfig

You can search for 4k HDR and find anything from nature videos to movie trailers. You may have to set HDR (and 4K?) in the youtube player settings?

Here’s a few examples:

cvinfig likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7804 of 7867 Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
@cvinfig

You can search for 4k HDR and find anything from nature videos to movie trailers. You may have to set HDR (and 4K?) in the youtube player settings?
I just watched the Costa Rica video and it looked pretty freakin' amazing! Found out that there's now a Chroma setting for the ATV4K so I went ahead and changed that to 4:2:2. I have Format set to 4K HDR and I normally leave Match HDR and Match Framerate set to Off. After watching various content on YouTube and Amazon Prime, those are the settings I'm sticking with. Since I have an HDR mode for my projector, setting Match HDR to On would mean that I'd have to change modes based on content. It's so much easier and looks, to my eyes anyway, just fine to let the ATV magically transform content to HDR. Also, as stated before, my JVC takes awhile to re-establish the handshake when the video format changes and this comes into play whenever at least one of the Match settings are set to On. Therefore, setting both to Off means I never need to change the projector mode and I don't suffer through any handshake issues.

Here's a pic taken with my iPhone. Keep in mind that I'm the world's worst photographer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATV.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	739.3 KB
ID:	2564760  
Archaea likes this.
post #7805 of 7867 Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 621
I use a combination of the Shield and Xbox One. The Shield I use for all of my movies and HBOGo, and the Xbox I use for Netflix/Hulu/Prime. It'd be nice if one device did everything, but really, unless the Xbox One or PS4 was that device, I'd still use both anyway. iTunes (and Vudu) aren't really considerations for me, though.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #7806 of 7867 Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 390 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked: 5281
Quote:
Was thinking I’d like to buy a 4K HDR, Atmos capable streaming media player for the Epson 5040UB. I primarily use Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I have Vudu, and iTunes accounts as well. I don't have Hulu.

So I also looked up a random YouTube review on the top streamers and learned the AppleTV can’t (inexplicably) play YouTube in 4K with HDR? Well that's a deal breaker, as YouTube has all those neat 4k demo uploads.

Anyone have an Apple TV 4K that could confirm this limitation with YouTube and HDR and 4K — in hopes it’s just a limitation of that particular reviewers setup. If true I guess I’ll keep waiting for ‘next gen’
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I use a combination of the Shield and Xbox One. The Shield I use for all of my movies and HBOGo, and the Xbox I use for Netflix/Hulu/Prime. It'd be nice if one device did everything, but really, unless the Xbox One or PS4 was that device, I'd still use both anyway. iTunes (and Vudu) aren't really considerations for me, though.

That's the problem and I am afraid the wait may be longer than you'd think. Streaming is such a cluster right now I'm forgetting about it. Each box gets you 90% of the way there but EVERY SINGLE ONE leaves out one or two small "Things" that makes you have to either buy a whole 'nother box, or figure out crazy workarounds or whatever. The apps react different between the boxes too. If I didn't know any better I'd bet each and every one of them are in cahoots to make consumers have to buy multiple platforms to get everything they need. I would have cut the cord long ago if all this weren't true...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #7807 of 7867 Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

John Wick 3 comes out this week right?

Let’s all get together on Friday or Saturday night to watch John Wick 3 at one of the best theaters in town.

Who is in?
chirpie likes this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #7808 of 7867 Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://youtu.be/pU8-7BX9uxs

Let’s all get together on Friday or Saturday night to watch John Wick 3 at one of the best theaters in town.

Who is in?
I was thinking about the ame thing, but I am busy both Friday and Saturday. I have Sunday open, but others will probably be busy that day.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #7809 of 7867 Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

Who is in?

I vote Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #7810 of 7867 Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 665
post #7811 of 7867 Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
That's the problem and I am afraid the wait may be longer than you'd think. Streaming is such a cluster right now I'm forgetting about it. Each box gets you 90% of the way there but EVERY SINGLE ONE leaves out one or two small "Things" that makes you have to either buy a whole 'nother box, or figure out crazy workarounds or whatever. The apps react different between the boxes too. If I didn't know any better I'd bet each and every one of them are in cahoots to make consumers have to buy multiple platforms to get everything they need. I would have cut the cord long ago if all this weren't true...
Such a bummer that there is no one box to rule them all. It is complicated and I can't keep up with how things are changing. I think it is possible to get "almost there" for cheap though.

The Roku Premiere Plus is under $50. It has HDR and most apps that you would want. So that is a no brainer if you ask me.

Most people already have at least one gaming console that has some streaming capability and hopefully gets you just a bit farther.

And most people also already have some kind of a UHD player with some streaming capability so with any luck that provides an additional layer.

Archaea you have an HTPC so that should help. I don't think the HTPC is very user friendly so I don't choose to use it unless I'm forced to.

In addition to all of the above I added the ATV4K but I don't think it is necessary for everybody.

Oh yeah I can also use my cable box to stream several services so that's an option for those that haven't cut the cord.

Getting HDR and Atmos on every service is a tricky wicket. And if you are interested in streaming ripped content it gets ridiculous real quick. I don't think most people need to spend nearly $200 on a Shield or ATV4K to get to a decent place thankfully.
post #7812 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 668 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked: 3159
Quote:

Who is in?
Bought tickets a while back for the B&B grand screen in Shawnee for Saturday night.
post #7813 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Who is in?
I have tickets for Saturday at 10:30 pm at the olathe dolby. I'm in g11-g14 with a few friends.

Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
post #7814 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
I wonder if this will be @Archaea 's next home theater seat?

Titan TI-7700 Zero Gravity Massage Chair

Quote:
6 different massage styles: kneading, knead and tap, shiatsu, palm, knocking
Zero gravity
Back, shoulder massage
Arm, foot and hand massage
Outer shoulder massage provides gentle squeeze
Lower lumbar heat relaxes tight muscles
Hip and seat vibration massage
Spot feature
S track
5 preset programs: comfort, stretch, healthcare, orgasm, full air only
carp, Archaea and Ladeback like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #7815 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Haha

I think the preset program vibration modes on that chair have been edited DD.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-14-2019 at 05:31 AM.
post #7816 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 802
That should be chirpie's chair, with all the cement slugging.....
chirpie, carp, Archaea and 1 others like this.
post #7817 of 7867 Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
That should be chirpie's chair, with all the cement slugging.....

Awwww... you guys DO care!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ladeback likes this.
post #7818 of 7867 Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Well that IS going to be one room to see, for sure. Just on the dedicated sweat equity.
chirpie likes this.
post #7819 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Lee's Summit. It wasn't terrible but everything would have been improved by watching it at home. It's been a while since I have been to a cinema and the last few times were in a Dolby Prime. However, I feel like the home theater experience really caught up to the cinema experience with Blu-ray and currently surpassing it with UHD. Makes me wonder what's next for home theater and how the cinemas will try to stay relevant. It's not like an End Game comes out every year.

Which one is LSMO? I saw it twice in the Grandscreen at Longview and it was fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds
post #7820 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let me know what you need me to do. I have the apple 4k on a U-verse gigapower (or whatever it is called gigabit speed). Had zero issues with GOT episode that you all were talking about.

Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
post #7821 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Who is in?

I am 100% in but can’t commit to this weekend. I would be open to next weekend though for sure.

Ladeback likes this.

post #7822 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 06:14 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
At some point in the future we should plan a HT Crawl for the WI members in the KC area and also for the KC members in the WI area.

I should soon have about 5 or 6 really good home theaters within a hour from me.
srw1000, carp, Archaea and 1 others like this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #7823 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Which one is LSMO? I saw it twice in the Grandscreen at Longview and it was fine to me.

My wife and I seen End Game at the new Liberty B&B Theater Grand Screen 2. I wanted to do the Grand Screen 1 that wraps around to 270 degrees, but good seats and the time didn't work for us. My 10 year old now wants to see it. Maybe he is coming around to wanting to watch movies with us again. We may go see it again with him this weekend.

I am up for getting together with others to see John Wick 3 next weekend. My wife doesn't care to see it and we are busy most of this weekend as well.

post #7824 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
At some point in the future we should plan a HT Crawl for the WI members in the KC area and also for the KC members in the WI area.

I should soon have about 5 or 6 really good home theaters within a hour from me.

C’mon down! I imagine that fall would be the earliest since summer gets crazy with scheduling. We are due for our next Mega Crawl next spring in KC
srw1000, Archaea, SOWK and 1 others like this.
post #7825 of 7867 Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 369
*please be done with my basement by then* *please be done with my basement by then* *please be done with my basement by then*
chirpie, Archaea and Ladeback like this.
post #7826 of 7867 Old 05-19-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

This guy must be related to @pennynike1 , or @d_c ? as far as thirst for Bass!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57192950

Has 12 subwoofers, is running them 30dB hot and says he can’t feel any good midbass...

It’s a rather outlandish post to me. He’s got 12 subwoofer drivers of all sorts, ported at different tunes, sealed, (everything from a Behringer 12” PA sub to a JTR Cap 4000) —- his response on the subwoofers somehow is still envious in the subwoofer bandpass (which is a Christmas miracle because he’s mixed so many different sub types and box alignments - I would expect he’s got all kinds of phase and mode and null issues being masked). Then the response by bassthathz is that in order to get more midbass he needs to add at least 8 more 18” midbass drivers. Really? I felt like I was rubber necking while driving by an accident on the highway.

@Luke Kamp , that guy needs some fatherly audio guidance with a dash of sternness, a touch of reality, and a pinch of honest insult. The kind of dish you serve well. Feeling spunky?
chirpie and carp like this.

post #7827 of 7867 Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Free to Good Home

I just moved into my new house up North. The theater is fully constructed awaiting equipment. I'll be seeking some advice on that, except for the Triad Silver speakers I've already bought. See build thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html

Some of you guys were helpful allowing me to see your home theaters about a year ago. Much appreciated. I am giving away free, a pair of Bose 901 Series V (Walnut cabinets) - the drivers are blown out and years ago, Bose offered to replace the 9 drivers in each speaker for a few hundred dollars. Never got around to taking them up on it. I have the equalizer but can't find it now. Will get that to new owner when I do find it. Factory boxes. Would like to get rid of by this weekend. You can pick it up near The Plaza. May have some other stuff to give away later.

I would also like to sell my outgoing 7.1 speaker package. It served me well for the last 15 years and is in like new condition in factory boxes. Works well in small to medium sized rooms. All Polk Audio:

2 Front LR - RT55i (two 6.5" woofers; one 1" dome tweeter)(real cherry veneer)

1 Center - CS245i (two 5.25" woofers; one 1" dome tweeter)(black)

2 Surround - FX300i (flip switch for bipole or dipole) (one 5.25" woofer; two 0.75" dome tweeters)(black)

2 Surround - RT25i (one 5.25" woofer; one 1" dome tweeter)(can be used separately as stereo speakers)(real cherry veneer)

Sub - PSW650 (two 10" drivers, 250w amp)(glossy piano black)

I'll have to figure out a price, but PM if interested. Thanks.
Archaea likes this.
post #7828 of 7867 Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
I just moved into my new house up North. The theater is fully constructed awaiting equipment. I'll be seeking some advice on that, except for the Triad Silver speakers I've already bought. See build thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
What kind of equipment advice are you seeking? AVR? Projector? Subwoofer? Etc?
Price ranges?

post #7829 of 7867 Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

What’s the best audio visual experience you’ve had in the more recently related Blu-rays? I’ve got a small group coming over today, and need to determine what to watch. These guys want the full A/V experience. I’ve not kept up with what new releases have the best audio. (Dynamic and non compressed)

post #7830 of 7867 Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My thoughts on JW3 - Almost just an extended action scene. Not much there on the story, but what is there does expand the universe a bit even if it doesn't feel like we leave the movie in a much different place than we started. It delivers on what the series is known for. Just flat out great, and often brutal, action. Halle Berry is a bit less believable in her action scenes, but that's a minor quibble and she has help. Sets things up for a 4th at the end and this is where my main gripe with the film lies. Not that there will be a 4th, just a specific event seems a little too hard to believe, even for John Wick.

It should look and sound great when it comes to disc. So many shotgun blasts...

Quote:
What’s the best audio visual experience you’ve had in the more recently related Blu-rays? I’ve got a small group coming over today, and need to determine what to watch. These guys want the full A/V experience. I’ve not kept up with what new releases have the best audio. (Dynamic and non compressed)
While it is mostly just big dumb fun, there's no denying that Aquaman is very good on the A/V front.
chiptouz likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page