Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2325Likes

post #7831 of 7903 Old 05-19-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What’s the best audio visual experience you’ve had in the more recently related Blu-rays? I’ve got a small group coming over today, and need to determine what to watch. These guys want the full A/V experience. I’ve not kept up with what new releases have the best audio. (Dynamic and non compressed)
Not super recent, but I thought The Greatest Showman looked and sounded great. I liked the movie and I am not a huge movie musical fan.
Archaea and chiptouz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 7903 Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Jonathan I might be a day late but I need to tell everyone that Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse is the best AV experience I have had in recent memory. The story happens to be really good too. I slept on this one during its theatrical run but I read some favorable professional reviews and did a blind buy after hearing from Brad how much he enjoyed it in theaters. This has to be the best Atmos mix I have ever heard. It’s a bold statement but I’m making it. Just incredible in every way. The surround effects and use of ceiling channels is wholly immersive and the bass is just stupid good. Start to finish it’s the best overall audio experience I can remember. The picture is outstanding and the ultra creative methods that were used to bring a comic book feel to this feature really shine in HDR. This is a reference video presentation for sure.

I would write so much more here if I wasn’t on my phone and in a hurry.

Just go buy Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and leave those other terrible Disney Marvel mixes on the shelf. This is what we enthusiasts are begging Hollywood for and what we should be supporting. Just an amazing experience all around in our enthusiast rooms.
carp, Archaea, stitch1 and 4 others like this.
post #7833 of 7903 Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Jonathan I might be a day late but I need to tell everyone that Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse is the best AV experience I have had in recent memory. The story happens to be really good too. I slept on this one during its theatrical run but I read some favorable professional reviews and did a blind buy after hearing from Brad how much he enjoyed it in theaters. This has to be the best Atmos mix I have ever heard. It’s a bold statement but I’m making it. Just incredible in every way. The surround effects and use of ceiling channels is wholly immersive and the bass is just stupid good. Start to finish it’s the best overall audio experience I can remember. The picture is outstanding and the ultra creative methods that were used to bring a comic book feel to this feature really shine in HDR. This is a reference video presentation for sure.

I would write so much more here if I wasn’t on my phone and in a hurry.

Just go buy Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and leave those other terrible Disney Marvel mixes on the shelf. This is what we enthusiasts are begging Hollywood for and what we should be supporting. Just an amazing experience all around in our enthusiast rooms.
Good call. I forgot about this one. I haven't watched it in full at home, but did sample a few scenes after I got it.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 7903 Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
This guy must be related to @pennynike1 , or @d_c ? as far as thirst for Bass!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57192950

Has 12 subwoofers, is running them 30dB hot and says he can’t feel any good midbass...

It’s a rather outlandish post to me. He’s got 12 subwoofer drivers of all sorts, ported at different tunes, sealed, (everything from a Behringer 12” PA sub to a JTR Cap 4000) —- his response on the subwoofers somehow is still envious in the subwoofer bandpass (which is a Christmas miracle because he’s mixed so many different sub types and box alignments - I would expect he’s got all kinds of phase and mode and null issues being masked). Then the response by bassthathz is that in order to get more midbass he needs to add at least 8 more 18” midbass drivers. Really? I felt like I was rubber necking while driving by an accident on the highway.

@Luke Kamp , that guy needs some fatherly audio guidance with a dash of sternness, a touch of reality, and a pinch of honest insult. The kind of dish you serve well. Feeling spunky?
Its a post from November and he hasn't posted on forums since January so I will wait to see if you get a response before I try and help him out. Making it difficult to setup with all the different alignments covering the same bandwidth no doubt. Oh well, reminds me of an old Bill Fitzmaurice analogy that went something similar to it being like putting a winter tire, a summer tire, a racing slick and an off road tire on a car and wondering why it doesnt handle well in all conditions.
Archaea and JDontee like this.
post #7835 of 7903 Old 05-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
What’s the best audio visual experience you’ve had in the more recently related Blu-rays? I’ve got a small group coming over today, and need to determine what to watch. These guys want the full A/V experience. I’ve not kept up with what new releases have the best audio. (Dynamic and non compressed)
That Ready Player One scene you saw at Axpona is pretty killer and still relatively "New" by most standards. It's got a pretty solid mix of everything. The opening 20 minutes of Overlord IMO is amazing and I was blown away by the ambient effects. Aquaman is a visual treat and plenty of bass mixed in that one across the board.
chiptouz likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #7836 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Spider man into the spider verse. Great audio and visuals.
post #7837 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I will tell on myself. The Chiefs were playing the Chargers and I had watched all the games to date and could not tolerate another thriller especially when I thought they would lose. I was determined to avoid it at all cost so I went to the B&B theater in Lees Summit. I don’t even remember what the first movie was but as I am exiting TVs are everywhere with the game on...darn it. So I ask what was next showing and they said Spiderman in the Spider Universe. Sold but it was expensive, The lady selling the ticket said you realize this is in 4D right (somehow she realized I wasn’t young..not sure how😀). So I said sure I do.

I am the only one in the theater...worse experience ever. The movement and “4D effects” were terrible. The print of the movie looked like 3d without the glasses. In fact, I asked after watching for awhile if there were 3d glasses...nope that is just how it looked. I left before it was over and the Chiefs still lost in a heartbreaker.
Archaea and stitch1 like this.
post #7838 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
So, I will tell on myself. The Chiefs were playing the Chargers and I had watched all the games to date and could not tolerate another thriller especially when I thought they would lose. I was determined to avoid it at all cost so I went to the B&B theater in Lees Summit. I don’t even remember what the first movie was but as I am exiting TVs are everywhere with the game on...darn it. So I ask what was next showing and they said Spiderman in the Spider Universe. Sold but it was expensive, The lady selling the ticket said you realize this is in 4D right (somehow she realized I wasn’t young..not sure how😀). So I said sure I do.

I am the only one in the theater...worse experience ever. The movement and “4D effects” were terrible. The print of the movie looked like 3d without the glasses. In fact, I asked after watching for awhile if there were 3d glasses...nope that is just how it looked. I left before it was over and the Chiefs still lost in a heartbreaker.
It's definitely got a unique animation style, and does some forced blurring early on that is similar with 3D. If you can get used to that, I think you will like it.

4d however, I wouldn't recommend
post #7839 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

Perhaps the owners of B&B should visit Grant's theater, because it was awesome in there.
stitch1 likes this.
post #7840 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^I am not dissing the movie. I actually have it in 4k bluray (haven’t watched it yet),but the 4D stuff was horrible and the print(file?) I saw at the theater was bad. This is coming from someone who actually likes some of the effects at DisneyWorld with their effects driven shows.
post #7841 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really think it's just that location really sucks. I've given up on that place. I am going to give Longview a visit to see if it's any better.
Randy Bessinger likes this.
post #7842 of 7903 Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
My wife wanted to see Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald as did I when it came out, but she wanted to see it in the new MX4D in Liberty near where we live and I said ok. My brother has seen Skyscraper there and said it was cool. I didn't like it. I found all the effects distracting to the movie and I felt like I was going to fall out of the chairs at times. Also being a large person didn't make it any better. I was sore after it was over. I may try it again now that I am losing weight and I may be more comfortable, but it needs to be something like the Meg where I don't need to think about the movie. The picture was good, but not as good in their other 2 Grand screens. I really like B&B's Grand 270 degree X screen the most. I still think the Berrywood Dolby Cinema may sound better though then the DTS-X theaters.
Randy Bessinger likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #7843 of 7903 Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So who wants to go see the new Godzilla?
post #7844 of 7903 Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
So who wants to go see the new Godzilla?
This always comes to mind when I here Godzilla.

stitch1 likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #7845 of 7903 Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I went to see Aladdin at the LS B&B Grand Screen with the family and as a fan of Aladdin, I actually liked the tweaks to the story and thought it was pretty good.

However, this was the first time in the Grand Screen and I thought I had read that others were a bit disappointed and so was I. Maybe it was the movie but it seemed a bit dim, out of focus and the quality just really low. Is that what everyone else has experienced there too? I don't think I I'll spend the extra money for that screen again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
stitch1 likes this.

HOveys Media Lounge Build Thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...ld-thread.html
IMGUR album of build: https://imgur.com/a/4w74FYj
post #7846 of 7903 Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossien Oveys View Post
So I went to see Aladdin at the LS B&B Grand Screen with the family and as a fan of Aladdin, I actually liked the tweaks to the story and thought it was pretty good.

However, this was the first time in the Grand Screen and I thought I had read that others were a bit disappointed and so was I. Maybe it was the movie but it seemed a bit dim, out of focus and the quality just really low. Is that what everyone else has experienced there too? I don't think I I'll spend the extra money for that screen again.

I've not been to that one, but the one in Liberty seems fine for the movies I've seen in it. I really like the Grand Screen X with 270 degree angle. Now the movie in those screens aren't as bright, but they are more oto see f filler and more immersed in the movie. Aquaman was cool when we seen it there. The MX4D was a little dull and I found the whole thing distracting to the movie. The Grand Screen 2 which is DTS-X like the X screen pretty nice. That's where I seen End Game the first time. This last Friday I went to see End Game again with my 10 year old son a friend of his and father at a regular theater at AMC Berrywoods. I felt my theater would have been better in sound for 5.1 then the normal Cinema. All the sound came from the front.

Now on Aladdin, not my cup of movie. I watched the trailer and thought not going to spend my money on this movie. My son said when wasn't interested either, but wife wants to see it. It's one of the Disney storylines I didn't care much for as a kid.

post #7847 of 7903 Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I wanted to duck in here and mention what kind of a HORRIBLE influence some of you guys are.
6 Stereo Integrity HT-18D2 V1s in 4cf sealed enclosures going into the theater, 2 Skar Audio EVL18-D2s going into an 8cf dual opposed sealed enclosure for the bar surround system, Epik Legend for the office 2 channel and 2 Dayton Audio 8” subs in folded horns for the garage system.

Not to mention the 2 9cf ported (18hz tune) boxes sitting in the garage that I am debating selling or keeping and stuffing with some EVL18s too.

You guys are a HORRIBLE influence.

PS hoping to have the theater ready for carpet by mid summer. That is all.
chirpie, Archaea, d_c and 2 others like this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #7848 of 7903 Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I wanted to duck in here and mention what kind of a HORRIBLE influence some of you guys are.
6 Stereo Integrity HT-18D2 V1s in 4cf sealed enclosures going into the theater, 2 Skar Audio EVL18-D2s going into an 8cf dual opposed sealed enclosure for the bar surround system, Epik Legend for the office 2 channel and 2 Dayton Audio 8” subs in folded horns for the garage system.

Not to mention the 2 9cf ported (18hz tune) boxes sitting in the garage that I am debating selling or keeping and stuffing with some EVL18s too.

You guys are a HORRIBLE influence.

PS hoping to have the theater ready for carpet by mid summer. That is all.

That's awesome!

While you are being influenced I suggest looking into putting in a BOSS setup. It's like having a bunch of Crowsons but better and wayyyy cheaper. I prefer it to NF subs too and that's saying a lot.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post56519422

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post57611912
post #7849 of 7903 Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

@Randy Bessinger , You said
Quote:
Spiderman in the Spider Universe looked like 3d without the glasses. In fact, I asked after watching for awhile if there were 3d glasses...nope that is just how it was.

I’ve got to agree with you here. The movie has those discolored flares around all the shapes and some odd computer generated texture overlays that seemed very much like 3d without the glasses. Thankfully it wasn’t on everything, but I personally wouldn’t call that movie a visual showpiece. The animation was colorful, but we watched that today and HTTYD3 last night. HTTYD3 bested spideyverse through and through on the colorful/amazing video reference that I’d want to show my guest, and both movies have exceptional audio!

The audio on the Redbox spideyverse was only 5.1 DTS MA, but STILL excellent. Really excellent.

I’m going to make at least one short demo clip from it and there could be several that would be fun. I’m going to make a couple clips from the HTTYD3 movie. Both will go in the current rotation to showcase my theater space.
stitch1 likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7850 of 7903 Old 05-28-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
@Randy Bessinger , You said

I’ve got to agree with you here. The movie has those discolored flares around all the shapes and some odd computer generated texture overlays that seemed very much like 3d without the glasses. Thankfully it wasn’t on everything, but I personally wouldn’t call that movie a visual showpiece. The animation was colorful, but we watched that today and HTTYD3 last night. HTTYD3 bested spideyverse through and through on the colorful/amazing video reference that I’d want to show my guest, and both movies have exceptional audio!

The audio on the Redbox spideyverse was only 5.1 DTS MA, but STILL excellent. Really excellent.

I’m going to make at least one short demo clip from it and there could be several that would be fun. I’m going to make a couple clips from the HTTYD3 movie. Both will go in the current rotation to showcase my theater space.
Love Into the Spider-Verse also.....seen it probably 5-6 times now with the kids and again with their friends that come over. It's our number 1 requested movie right now. Tons of nicely layered bass throughout, great music that compliments the on-screen action and a well-executed story line. At first I didn't like the visuals for the same reasons cited above, but then I read the below post and was blown away.

Those visual effects were purposely added to stay true to Spiderman's comic book roots. After knowing this, repeat viewings have gotten even better looking for these artistic comic book cues.

Hopefully, with the commercial success of Spider-Verse and relatively low production costs, we'll see many more stories come to life in the Spider-Verse.....fingers crossed they use the same sound design team.

Comic Book Artistic Visuals used in Spider-Verse
stitch1, chiptouz and JDontee like this.
post #7851 of 7903 Old 05-29-2019, 10:32 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
post #7852 of 7903 Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for hosting last night Doug!

Your audio sounds fantastic. I can’t get over how much your couch shakes — I think that is the first time I’ve watched a movie on the main couch at your place. With that nearfield 24” it’s just incredibly impressive. I love it! Thanks the for the great food too. I enjoyed the visit.
femi and JDontee like this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #7853 of 7903 Old 05-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossien Oveys View Post

I predominately go to that theater and it is fine for me. I am definitely not as picky as most of you all are, but for me it’s good.

Seeing Godzilla there tonight so I will try to take a closer look and see if Incan experience the quality and focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH, CH, and Surrounds; Denon AVC X6500h
post #7854 of 7903 Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Thanks for hosting last night Doug!

Your audio sounds fantastic. I can’t get over how much your couch shakes — I think that is the first time I’ve watched a movie on the main couch at your place. With that nearfield 24” it’s just incredibly impressive. I love it! Thanks the for the great food too. I enjoyed the visit.

Thank you sir - I wish I had more seats
post #7855 of 7903 Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I got my Jackson County tax notification papers today for my home tax.

32% increase from 2018.
How is that at all reasonable? Should the government get a 32% increase in taxes when the housing market is too high? Would they give me a 32% reduction if the market busts? I don't remember seeing anywhere near a 30% reduction in 2008 when it DID bust at my old house (also in Jackson County).

I bought home for $204k as a Bank foreclosure 5 years ago. Last year, 2018, the house was valued at $240K. 2019, now they say $323K. My property tax is going up from $4170 to $5508 per year. That's coming up on $500 a month, which perhaps I'm still just a country boy - but that seems insane to me.

Yippie, an extra $112 bucks a month on Jackson County taxes over last years tax...

--------

I know I wouldn't get $323K for this house if I were to put it on the market. Stuff isn't even selling in my neighborhood, we see signs posted, and nothing's moving here. I think people expect to get these inflated prices, and have listed their houses, but nobody is paying that. Or maybe the market just isn't hot in this neighborhood???

@carp you remember that group of mansions south on 19th St? EVERY single one of them, 100% of them are for sale. It's wild driving down the street and seeing all the signs in the yard. Maybe it's these property tax increases that are making them sell...

Anyway I'm steamed - property taxes are a sham. Megan and I will try to argue ours by filling out the documentation, but that's a crappy subjective process too. It seems to me the property tax values should be a fixed adjustment every year the same as all your neighbors at least. I was talking to my neighbor about it and while my house went up 32% his house went up 15%. His house we both know is much nicer than mine, and in much better shape in every way. He said I should argue it because it's not right that two houses immediately next to each other would see a 17% difference in cyclical county evaluation.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-07-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #7856 of 7903 Old 06-07-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:

32% increase from 2018.

How is that at all reasonable? Should the government get a 32% increase in taxes when the housing market is too high? Would they give me a 32% reduction if the market busts? I don't remember seeing anywhere near a 30% reduction in 2008 when it DID bust at my old house (also in Jackson County).

I bought home for $204k as a Bank foreclosure 5 years ago. Last year, 2018, the house was valued at $240K. 2019, now they say $323K. My property tax is going up from $4170 to $5508 per year. That's coming up on $500 a month, which perhaps I'm still just a country boy - but that seems insane to me.

Yippie, an extra $112 bucks a month on Jackson County taxes over last year...

--------

I know I wouldn't get $323K for this house if I were to put it on the market. Stuff isn't even selling in my neighborhood, we see signs posted, and nothing's moving here. I think people expect to get these inflated prices, and have listed their houses, but nobody is paying that. Or maybe the market just isn't hot in this neighborhood???

@carp you remember that group of mansions south on 19th St? EVERY single one of them, 100% of them are for sale. It's wild driving down the street and seeing all the signs in the yard. Maybe it's these property tax increases that are making them sell...

Anyway I'm steamed - property taxes are a sham. Megan and I will try to argue ours by filling out the documentation, but that's a crappy subjective process too. It seems to me the property tax values should be a fixed adjustment every year the same as all your neighbors at least. I was talking to my neighbor about it and while my house went up 32% his house went up 15%. His house we both know is much nicer than mine, and in much better shape in every way. He said I should argue it because it's not right that two houses immediately next to each other would see a 17% difference in cyclical county evaluation.

Ugh. Good luck. We fought this year and lost on one of our rental properties. Same story. It’s gone up over 30% over the last two years but your case sounds stronger than ours. Over here there’s almost no inventory and everything is selling in days of hitting the market. I get a cold call or two a week from people asking me if I want to sell. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Archaea likes this.
post #7857 of 7903 Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2138
Quote:

32% increase from 2018.

Yippie, an extra $112 bucks a month on Jackson County taxes over last years tax...

--------

WTF... so ridiculous. So sorry you need to go through this.
Archaea likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #7858 of 7903 Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

32% increase from 2018.

--------

A certified appraisal worked for me several years ago. It was accepted with no arguments by the county. Whether it is worth it or if they would still accept it, I don’t know. It might have helped that the appraisal was done by a former county appraiser.

In theory, property tax is based on a property’s actual value. It should go up and down based on market. At least that is how I understand it. An appraisal takes into account what similar houses have sold for in the neighborhood as well as replacement less depreciation. I think rental value may also play a part.

If you do it on your own, I would try to find similar houses that have sold in the neighborhood in the last year, and make suitable adjustments up and down to the comparisons.
Archaea likes this.

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 06-07-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #7859 of 7903 Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:

32% increase from 2018.

--------

Woah, all of those houses? That's crazy.

I think you will "win", meaning they will lower it some. Especially since your neighbors increase was so much less than yours. I challenged many years ago and got the number lowered by a decent amount. I took pictures of all the faults on the exterior of the house/property, not sure how much that helped but I have to think it did some.

500 a month is getting crazy for sure. I remember when my parents paid off their house in the late 90's they said they were paying more in taxes than they paid for the mortgage (they bought the house in 71). That's a depressing thought that the same thing could happen to us.
Archaea likes this.
post #7860 of 7903 Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I noticed the row of houses on 19th Street being for sale on Thursday (though there was one without a sign, and one sign was for an auction - which could theoretically be for items besides the house).

I wondered if they had flooding issues with all the rain. Didn't consider a rise in taxes.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page