Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 268 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2517Likes

post #8011 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Anyone know if there any cheaper 4K TVs that are available?

I know I can get a 43" or so for a couple hundred bucks, but that's a little bigger than I want.

I'm using a 43" 1080p, now as a computer monitor/tv, but it's hurting my neck when using it as a monitor. A 32" or even 37" would be better. And I'd like to get 4K with HDR so I can get stream my 4K UHDs with the best resolution and proper color.
From an initial search, I only found one 32" that was 4K, but it was $500. I don't want to spend that much for this application. Monitors seemed to be more expensive, and then I have to set up speakers, which isn't a huge deal, but I'd rather avoid it if possible, especially since I won't always be using my PC when viewing.

I just did a search as well and see what you mean. Looks like the only 32" 4K TV is $500. I do see a 43" 4K TV for around $229, but that is the same
size you have now. I have a older 1080p 32" TV I tried to use, but am sitting to close to it. I am thinking of mounting it on a wall in my home office and just use a table from a few feet away and hope it is better. Other thought was to set up in my theater area and use it as a monitor for Video audits I do for AT&T tower work.

Good luck on finding the 32" 4K, at a reasonable price.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I just did a search as well and see what you mean. Looks like the only 32" 4K TV is $500. I do see a 43" 4K TV for around $229, but that is the same
size you have now. I have a older 1080p 32" TV I tried to use, but am sitting to close to it. I am thinking of mounting it on a wall in my home office and just use a table from a few feet away and hope it is better. Other thought was to set up in my theater area and use it as a monitor for Video audits I do for AT&T tower work.

Good luck on finding the 32" 4K, at a reasonable price.
I'm starting to think just getting a 43" 4K TV and then scaling back my PC output so it doesn't fill the entire display is my best option. I'll have to test out some things tonight and see how comfortable I can make things. Not going to like all the empty space though.
Ladeback likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #8013 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
I'll take the later date. My area is still a work in progress. Bathroom should be done in October. And this should give me enough time to get the 2 other 24" boxes done and the (9) JBL 12s I can put behind the seating area It's crazy how long things take with a kiddo under 2 running around here lol.

I'll look at dates and try to get something scheduled. I'd like to make yours in December, we make it back up to KC about once a month so I'm sure we could swing by as long as I'm not working.
@Archaea

Put me down for 7:00pm December 7th. My theater only holds five total (4 guests plus me) comfortably. I have had seven requests so far. There really is no room to move in chairs. If there is interest, I am happy to host another night. I am also happy to have visitors most anytime. You don't need an invitation. Just PM me.
stitch1, blister64 and Ladeback like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8014 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
@Archaea

Put me down for 7:00pm December 7th. My theater only holds five total (4 guests plus me) comfortably. I have had seven requests so far. There really is no room to move in chairs. If there is interest, I am happy to host another night. I am also happy to have visitors most anytime. You don't need an invitation. Just PM me.
I can bow out so someone else who hasn't seen it yet and would like to see it.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #8015 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I would like to view it if room is available. If not, I'll try to make it out there another time.
post #8016 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
@Archaea

I work that day, but add me to the list for the raincheck day
post #8017 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
@Archaea

I may hit you up for a private viewing sometime It's hard to know when we will be back in town and I can't say for sure we will be there that weekend. Don't want to take someones spot and it not work out for me.

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
Currently Building- (2) Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
post #8018 of 8161 Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 338
@mark1234 I am definitely going to take you up on a visit. Your theater looks amazing. Unfortunately Dec. 7 is out for me. So if there is a makeup date or I'll just reach out to you on a free weekend!

Who do you all have do your projector or led panel calibrations? I think that mine has more than enough time on it to get it professionally done. If any of you all know how to do and would be willing to, that would be awesome.

Chip

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
post #8019 of 8161 Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I'm starting to think just getting a 43" 4K TV and then scaling back my PC output so it doesn't fill the entire display is my best option. I'll have to test out some things tonight and see how comfortable I can make things. Not going to like all the empty space though.
Looks like this is a no go. I guess neither the GPU or my current TV has the ability to shift the position of the image on the screen. I can scale the image down, but I can't move it down vertically, so the image is still too high. Looks like I'll have to use a monitor and set things up with the TV a little differently.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #8020 of 8161 Old 09-06-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I went to Kevin's last week to check out his new JVC N7 (RS2000) and to get my Harry Potter UHD's back. So I got a demo of the new hotness. In short it was a big mistake. I was content with my JVC RS 520 eshift with custom HDR curves but after viewing the same scenes back to back on my projector it is a fairly obvious upgrade at least for HDR content.
Yep absolutely no doubt that the JVC in their price range ESPECIALLY when the vvvvv Update gets added on are the machines to beat by anyone near their weight class. You can't unsee that image once you do see it. The added sharpness by itself is a selling point, but with dynamic tone mapping coming in, it'll actually be the ONLY PJ out right now that does HDR properly without an added on unit or madvr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Just wanted to poke my head in here a second. I know there was some talk about Chldsplay's NX7 and some of you considering it as an upgrade. Word from JVC is that the MSRP is going up $1K in October. So if anyone in here is seriously thinking about it, something to consider.

On the bright side the new JVC lineup is getting a firmware update that enables frame by frame tonemapping. Which is a pretty big deal. I'm certainly looking forward to it finally taking care of those pesky Disney discs!
I am feeling pretty glad that JVC didn't choose to lock out it's early adopters on this new firmware, of which previously I bet they would have just shoved into the next version of the machine. I had my fingers crossed that they'd have taken care of those of us that ended up having to way over half a year to get our units from the projected original release date. Some times a little faith is rewarded I guess

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #8021 of 8161 Old 09-07-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yep absolutely no doubt that the JVC in their price range ESPECIALLY when the vvvvv Update gets added on are the machines to beat by anyone near their weight class. You can't unsee that image once you do see it. The added sharpness by itself is a selling point, but with dynamic tone mapping coming in, it'll actually be the ONLY PJ out right now that does HDR properly without an added on unit or madvr.

I am feeling pretty glad that JVC didn't choose to lock out it's early adopters on this new firmware, of which previously I bet they would have just shoved into the next version of the machine. I had my fingers crossed that they'd have taken care of those of us that ended up having to way over half a year to get our units from the projected original release date. Some times a little faith is rewarded I guess
Ok Brandon and Joel where did you hear about the update? I can't find it anywhere. Is this going to be officially announced next week at CEDIA? I'm already leaning towards the NX7 but this would all but seal the deal. And what is the $1000 increase all about? Are they trying to separate the true 4K NX models from the newly announced cheaper laser projector? Are sales really that solid?

What worries me is that this $1000 increase is actually a slight revision of the NX series with new firmware and is literally all and they are charging us a grand for the code. I want to be wrong.
post #8022 of 8161 Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And on that note I'm putting out some feelers for my JVC RS520 for the local guys before I list it on the classified's. Will be several hundred cheaper for a local cash sale. Thinking very very low $2K's. Would probably list for $2400 to start with on classifieds if no one bites local. It has 800 hours and it had the lens mechanism replaced under warranty earlier this year. Working perfectly now. Calibrated by High Impact AV aka Michael aka desertdome and it has his custom curves installed which are fairly critical for getting a good HDR image.

I'm going to wait till next week and see if CEDIA drops any bombs that make me alter course but I should know by the middle of next week. It's looking very likely that I will drop major coin on an NX7 and I hope someone local can enjoy my RS520. I had a few guys over recently and I hope they enjoyed the image as much as I have these past 2 years.

I'm still not sure I'm ready to give up the amazing contrast and low black floor of this projector but I will decide soon enough.
post #8023 of 8161 Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #8024 of 8161 Old 09-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I can host Saturday, Sept 21 starting at 7pm for a movie night and have the newest JTR 10" coax that he sent to me as a demo set to share with you guys. We can do this just as easily at somebody else's house if you'd like to share your theater in September since I've had most everyone over a time or few.
I’d like to attend if there’s still a seat available.
Archaea and d_c like this.

Last edited by cvinfig; 09-08-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #8025 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I too would like to attend @d_c , and can bring a bag chair or something if we are running low. If we hit capacity, I can duck out, just lemme know.
post #8026 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I’d like to attend if there’s still a seat available.
I have room for 3 on the couch and it's a little bit snuggly, but we all know each other. 1 in the big fluffy chair, and 4 bar seats. I can bring 3 or 4 more chairs in at the back of the room, 1 in the reef tank if you have a snorkle/SCUBA gear, 1 on the bean bag, 8 on the front row floor sitting cross-legged,10 standing in the back row, and if there are more people we can Skype you in, and you guys can rotate through the money seat. I'll elect The Jedi Grant to enforce the rotation since he's so good at it!

John Wick Chapter 3 will be the film unless you guys want to do something different

Archaea, cvinfig, JDontee and 2 others like this.

Last edited by d_c; 09-09-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #8027 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:
Ok Brandon and Joel where did you hear about the update? I can't find it anywhere. Is this going to be officially announced next week at CEDIA? I'm already leaning towards the NX7 but this would all but seal the deal. And what is the $1000 increase all about? Are they trying to separate the true 4K NX models from the newly announced cheaper laser projector? Are sales really that solid?

What worries me is that this $1000 increase is actually a slight revision of the NX series with new firmware and is literally all and they are charging us a grand for the code. I want to be wrong.
It's in the owners thread. I believe posted by Mike Garrett and linked to an official JVC press release. A beta of the new firmware was shown at IFA in Berlin to very positive reviews. Links below:

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-spe...o-auf-der-ifa/

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...re_update.html

Firmware will be available to all current owners. NX series continues unchanged.

Edit: I see you found the press release. Guess I should've scrolled down
jedimastergrant likes this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 09-09-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #8028 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:
I'm still not sure I'm ready to give up the amazing contrast and low black floor of this projector but I will decide soon enough.
Your RS520 was the final straw that got me to buy mine. After owning the NX7 since April I would honestly upgrade again. About the only place you will really notice the contrast differences is fade to black with the DI enabled on the RS520. The NX doesn't aggressively close down here, but also doesn't have visible pumping as a consequence.

I watched Alita Battle Angel UHD at Thrillcat's a couple weekends ago on his RS540 and then Blade Runner UHD on my NX7 the next day. Honestly I didn't really feel that the NX7 was really lacking much contrast wise. Yes the RSxxx is still a bit better, but there's a lot more to the comparison and all the rest is in favor of the NX.

Don't get me wrong, the e-shift JVCs are still amazing projectors. Just my thoughts on owning both.

post #8029 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I have room for 3 on the couch and it's a little bit snuggly, but we all know each other. 1 in the big fluffy chair, and 4 bar seats. I can bring 3 or 4 more chairs in at the back of the room, 1 in the reef tank if you have a snorkle/SCUBA gear, 1 on the bean bag, 8 on the front row floor sitting cross-legged,10 standing in the back row, and if there are more people we can Skype you in, and you guys can rotate through the money seat. I'll elect The Jedi Grant to enforce the rotation since he's so good at it!

John Wick Chapter 3 will be the film unless you guys want to do something different

Sounds good. I have had the experienced of sitting in the money seat so I am good seating anywhere else in the room. Haven't seen JW3 so looking forward to this move. I still travel with chairs, because of soccer games about every weekend. This sounds like another great time.

post #8030 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 320
@d_c I would call the fish tank but unfortunately I won't be able to make this one.
post #8031 of 8161 Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
@d_c I would call the fish tank but unfortunately I won't be able to make this one.

No, I uninvite you first, so there
Archaea and stitch1 like this.
post #8032 of 8161 Old 09-10-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And on that note I'm putting out some feelers for my JVC RS520 for the local guys before I list it on the classified's. Will be several hundred cheaper for a local cash sale. Thinking very very low $2K's. Would probably list for $2400 to start with on classifieds if no one bites local. It has 800 hours and it had the lens mechanism replaced under warranty earlier this year. Working perfectly now. Calibrated by High Impact AV aka Michael aka desertdome and it has his custom curves installed which are fairly critical for getting a good HDR image.

I'm going to wait till next week and see if CEDIA drops any bombs that make me alter course but I should know by the middle of next week. It's looking very likely that I will drop major coin on an NX7 and I hope someone local can enjoy my RS520. I had a few guys over recently and I hope they enjoyed the image as much as I have these past 2 years.

I would love to have the RS520, but since we just got a new 75" 4K TV for our living room the boss will say NO! Also waiting till me room is little more done. I think I finally decided on a plan for it and looking to get help with finishing it and the basement.

post #8033 of 8161 Old 09-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Sheldon,
Thank you for the invitation to experience your theater this past weekend. As mentioned, my knowledge and experiences pale to most everyone on the KC board. I would echo the recent comments by Archaea on your theater thread. Due to my high praise for Archaea's bass extravaganza and my lack of theater experience, I actually feel a little embarrassed because honestly I can't tell whose bass is more macho! Your theater was incredibly fun and the three hours just flew by. Can't wait for a revisit and I loved that drum clip. Amazing on your system!

Mark
carp, Archaea and SOWK like this.
post #8034 of 8161 Old 09-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Thanks for the compliments Mark, yep we had a blast for sure and I'm looking forward to seeing your room!

I love how you never once told me to turn down the bass but you did want the master volume bumped up a few times!
post #8035 of 8161 Old 09-14-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked: 3684
Quote:
@Archaea

Done, first post updated.

Sheldon and I visited Mark's theater last night and I enjoyed the evening. It's a quite enjoyable space.
I wrote more detail about our visit last night in his room thread.
Ladeback likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #8036 of 8161 Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Done, first post updated.

Sheldon and I visited Mark's theater last night and I enjoyed the evening. It's a quite enjoyable space.
I wrote more detail about our visit last night in his room thread.
Archaea
Thank you for your comments on my room thread. They are greatly appreciated. Thank you also for not posting about me being too clueless to realize that my HDR on the projector was off and that you figured it out. I would definitely like to keep that off the boards. :
carp, Archaea and SOWK like this.
post #8037 of 8161 Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Archaea
Thank you for your comments on my room thread. They are greatly appreciated. Thank you also for not posting about me being too clueless to realize that my HDR on the projector was off and that you figured it out. I would definitely like to keep that off the boards. :
It'll be our secret.
chirpie likes this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #8038 of 8161 Old 09-15-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Some of you might be interested in this thread assuming it takes off:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...3090874?page=1
beastaudio likes this.

post #8039 of 8161 Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Quote:
I have a UHD movie recommendation here that is easily overlooked by anyone over maybe 17 years. I thought I would make you guys aware of it since the audio really shocked me.

It's called The Kid Who Would Be King. This is the follow up from the same director behind Attack the Block if you are familiar with that one. If not I would recommend it as well.

I actually enjoyed the movie even though it is squarely aimed at the young adult crowd. It was entertaining and I would watch it again. This movie is useful if you have guests who are young and your looking for something to show off your home theater. Only one of my 8 year olds made it through the movie. It does get a little scary for them FYI.

The surrounds are VERY active throughout the movie. And the tops get into the action quite a bit. Lots of spooky voices and effects that reverberate kind of like an echo chamber and it really adds to the movie. The music is just great and apparently done by Electric Wave Bureau who is responsible for several other good scores. Bass is surprisingly well done for a "kids" movie and there is even bass into ULF territory. In fact I think there is one moment that could bring most systems that have been significantly boosted to their knees if you can reproduce it at all. It makes me wonder if it was a mistake after looking at the bass charts. Dang.

Video was awesome. Really good transfer with tons of detail. VFX well done. Tons of HDR stuff going on.
I watched this tonight with my girls. The 10 year old would not watch it for fear she’d be scared. The 1, 3 and 7 year old watched it with me though. The 7 year old was more scared than the 3 and 1 year old. They all liked the movie when I asked at the end. I enjoyed it too. You are correct about the sound track. It’s very well done. Recorded at a relatively lower volume than most flicks (we watched at -10 and everything sounded great - but normally -14 or so with family members).

The portal for Morgana scene at the end was making full use of all the surround speakers and was demo worthy to be sure. The ceiling speakers engaged for the various haunted demonic voices were quite active and yet not overdone. During the rain scene, as the characters passed via portal into the magical world my 3 (almost 4) year old daughter got big eyes and jumped up and said “Dad, it sounds like it’s raining in here, it sounds like it’s raining in this room”. I guess that does indicate the soundtrack is pretty good if a three year old notices the effects and calls it out on her own. I wish all movie sound tracks were recorded this well -- as it is there's only probably a half dozen or so I can think of that are recorded better.

Thanks for letting me borrow the disk.

Grant, fire up Troll Hunters on Netflix for your boys. Upmix the DTS to DTS Neural X. The Troll Hunter cartoon series is of Pixar caliber and quite enjoyable too. Since you enjoyed this movie you’ll also like that I’m quite sure. Another series my family enjoyed on Netflix, including the kids, was Merlin. My wife loved the Merlin series, which is a rarity for any type of fantasy type show. Both Merlin and Troll Hunter and good enough series that you become attached to the characters and don’t want them to end.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-16-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #8040 of 8161 Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I watched this tonight with my girls. The 10 year old would not watch it for fear she’d be scared. The 1, 3 and 7 year old watched it with me though. The 7 year old was more scared than the 3 and 1 year old. They all liked the movie.
I enjoyed it too. You are correct about the sound track. It’s very well done. Recorded at a low volume (we watched at -10 and everything sounds great! The portal for Morgana scene at the end was making full use of all the surround speakers and was demo worthy to be sure. The voices used throughout in the ceiling speakers for the haunted voices were well done too. The rain scene when they passed into the magical world my 3 (almost 4) year old daughter got big eyes and jumped up and said “Dad, it sounds like it’s raining in here, it sounds like it’s raining in this room”. I guess that does indicate the soundtrack is pretty good if a three year old notices and calls it out on her own.

Thanks for letting me borrow the disk.

Grant, fire up Troll Hunters on Netflix for your boys. Upmix the DTS to DTS Neural X. The Troll Hunter cartoon series is of Pixar caliber and quite enjoyable too. Since you enjoyed this movie you’ll also like that I’m quite sure. Another series my family enjoyed on Netflix, including the kids, was Merlin. My wife loved the Merlin series, which is a feat. Both Merlin and Troll Hunter and good enough series that you become attached to the characters and don’t want them to end.
My wife and I watch the movie a few months back and really liked it. Couldn't get our 10 year old to watch it. Ifs it's not Fortnite or a video on YouTube he won't watch it. He also doesn't listen to music. I hope he changes when he gets older, but I doubt it. I found the sound track was even good for just a 5.1 system which is all I have right now and we watched it on our old 1080p TV. I am enjoying watching movies and shows on our new 75" 4K TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page