Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2605Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8221 of 8333 Old 11-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbcain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Swapped out the old yamaha aventage 1030 for the newer 3080 today, got BB magnolia down to 1600 bnib.

And snagged a Panasonic 420 Blu-ray that archea linked for 149.

My transition to 4k is complete. Wallet hates me.

Ypao got pretty close I'd say, had to fix a few things. Much better detail in the room now.

And the Epson 5050 is a dream.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Archaea, d_c and Ladeback like this.
jbcain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8222 of 8333 Old 11-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbcain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If anyone has a use for a good working Yamaha aventage 1030 (have original box) or Sony bdp5100, hollar


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jbcain is offline  
post #8223 of 8333 Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
Try Netflix "The King" and let me know what you think? It's not historically accurate to King Henry's tale, but it is an interesting watch. I enjoyed it.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8224 of 8333 Old 12-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Member
 
markb1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 93
December get together

So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.
markb1234 is offline  
post #8225 of 8333 Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.
I could probably come, but if others who haven't seen your theater want to come, I will be an alternate.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #8226 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Unfortunately, my NX7 had a convergence issue pop up, and JVC is sending me a new unit. Not looking forward to setting it up for the 3rd time.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is online now  
post #8227 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.


If you are still hosting tonight, I’ll attend. I could use the break from the norm.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #8228 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Member
 
markb1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If you are still hosting tonight, I’ll attend. I could use the break from the norm.

Well you are the first one to not be a tentative, but I would be happy to have you come over.

Mark
markb1234 is offline  
post #8229 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
Well you are the first one to not be a tentative, but I would be happy to have you come over.

Mark
I can make it and sounds like you have room. I could bring the new Hellboy movie in 4K.

What time are you thinking?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #8230 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Member
 
markb1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I can make it and sounds like you have room. I could bring the new Hellboy movie in 4K.

What time are you thinking?
Hi Doug,
Sounds good. No set time. 6:30 7:00 works.

Mark
Ladeback likes this.
markb1234 is offline  
post #8231 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
Hi Doug,

Sounds good. No set time. 6:30 7:00 works.



Mark
Ok, that works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is online now  
post #8232 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.
It didn't work for me to head there tonight but I still plan to check it out sometime. Sorry I missed it.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8233 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Unfortunately, my NX7 had a convergence issue pop up, and JVC is sending me a new unit. Not looking forward to setting it up for the 3rd time.
Are you sure it doesn't say Epson on your unit . Sorry for the bad luck.
Archaea and JDontee like this.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8234 of 8333 Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Are you sure it doesn't say Epson on your unit . Sorry for the bad luck.
I was wondering why the JVC Logo looked like it was just printed on a mailing label.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is online now  
post #8235 of 8333 Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,200
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Anyone in the area that rips 4K discs willing to try ripping an episode off the season 8 Game of Thrones set? I've been able to rip 5 of the episodes, but episode 3 keeps failing and I've tried 3 discs now on 2 different computers/drives.

I can bring the disc, and probably a flash drive or dual layer bluray.

Edit: Cancel that, I finally got it to work.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 12-08-2019 at 01:05 AM.
ChldsPlay is online now  
post #8236 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
@Luke Kamp

A while back we had the discussion that you agreed with someone in the autistic crowd of high end enthusiasts that suggested they wanted, endgame, a projector that could replicate real life, be perfect black, and have NIT count that could match the sun's brightness. In other words - you'd like a projector that could perfectly mimic real life.
I thought that was crazy. I don't want Hollywood in charge of the capability to damage my vision. I want my equipment to safeguard me against some overly enthusiastic director's intent.

I.E. I don't want an onscreen flash-bang in 13 hours, to be as painful as it is in real life -- not in audio, not in video --- never.
never ever
never ever never

Likewise I don't want the sun's reflections off the chrome bumper in The Highwaymen to make me see spots because that mimics real life...



I thought of this discussion last night - when I ran into this same problem on my humble (by comparison to that extreme) 122 NIT image. I watched Manadlorian on Disney last night. HDR is a hot mess with my 5040UB on that show. I mean absolutely terrible.

But at one point in the first episode there is a scene that's very dark on my projector setup in default HDR mode - as in unwatchably dark. In this scene the Mandalorian is getting his armor upgraded, and each time the forge impacts there is supposed to be a blinding white light. Well let me tell you - it was actually painful. The projector was going from pretty much black, to full bore white. It was making me look away with each impact. It made my eyes hurt for a few minutes after.

Yeah, I don't want that nonsense. I don't want HDR either -- at least certainly not in it's broken implementation on the 5040UB. Awful. I ended up working around the issue a little bit by putting the projector in SDR mode and using Dave Harper's Harpervision settings on the next episode. I cleared the issue up entirely on the third episode by streaming from my HTPC using a web browser with 1080P and no HDR.


Post 18337
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58929046

I have yet to see HDR look worthwhile on any projector. BT2020 is worthwhile. HDR no.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 12-08-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Archaea is offline  
post #8237 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
@markb1234

Thanks for the movie night on Thursday night. That was enjoyable. You introduced me to Disney + -- and the Mandalorian Episode 1. I went home and bought a year's subscription! Mandalorian looks to be a great show! I've now watched all five available episodes. I like that mirrored the original trilogy in sound, look, and feel - using puppetry where possible, and just like the original trilogy you either spoke English, or unintelligible alien -- there was no Jamaican, Chinese, or any other absurd English accent that makes no sense in the context of a distant galaxy of unique aliens.

nonsense:


It was fun to watch John Wick 3 at your place too. You have a really enjoyable theater space to watch a movie, and I appreciate you sharing your space with Luke, Doug, and I for the evening!
Ladeback likes this.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #8238 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Member
 
markb1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@markb1234

Thanks for the movie night on Thursday night. That was enjoyable. You introduced me to Disney + -- and the Mandalorian Episode 1. I went home and bought a year's subscription! Mandalorian looks to be a great show! I've now watched all five available episodes. I like that mirrored the original trilogy in sound, look, and feel - using puppetry where possible, and just like the original trilogy you either spoke English, or unintelligible alien -- there was no Jamaican, Chinese, or any other absurd English accent that makes no sense in the context of a distant galaxy of unique aliens.

nonsense:


It was fun to watch John Wick 3 at your place too. You have a really enjoyable theater space to watch a movie, and I appreciate you sharing your space with Luke, Doug, and I for the evening!
Yeah Thursday night was a lot of fun. Technically Doug introduced both of us to Mandalorian. And Doug thank you for bringing over John Wick 3. It is a blast to watch. Not sure I have ever heard so many dynamic gun shots in one movie. Luke it was good to meet you. I have just one request. Could you make your Star Wars comments into a podcast or YouTube video? That stuff is pure gold and hilarious. Come back anytime.
Archaea likes this.
markb1234 is offline  
post #8239 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@Luke Kamp

A while back we had the discussion that you agreed with someone in the autistic crowd of high end enthusiasts that suggested they wanted, endgame, a projector that could replicate real life, be perfect black, and have NIT count that could match the sun's brightness. In other words - you'd like a projector that could perfectly mimic real life.
I thought that was crazy. I don't want Hollywood in charge of the capability to damage my vision. I want my equipment to safeguard me against some overly enthusiastic director's intent.

I.E. I don't want an onscreen flash-bang in 13 hours, to be as painful as it is in real life -- not in audio, not in video --- never.
never ever
never ever never

Likewise I don't want the sun's reflections off the chrome bumper in The Highwaymen to make me see spots because that mimics real life...



I thought of this discussion last night - when I ran into this same problem on my humble (by comparison to that extreme) 122 NIT image. I watched Manadlorian on Disney last night. HDR is a hot mess with my 5040UB on that show. I mean absolutely terrible.

But at one point in the first episode there is a scene that's very dark on my projector setup in default HDR mode - as in unwatchably dark. In this scene the Mandalorian is getting his armor upgraded, and each time the forge impacts there is supposed to be a blinding white light. Well let me tell you - it was actually painful. The projector was going from pretty much black, to full bore white. It was making me look away with each impact. It made my eyes hurt for a few minutes after.

Yeah, I don't want that nonsense. I don't want HDR either -- at least certainly not in it's broken implementation on the 5040UB. Awful. I ended up working around the issue a little bit by putting the projector in SDR mode and using Dave Harper's Harpervision settings on the next episode. I cleared the issue up entirely on the third episode by streaming from my HTPC using a web browser with 1080P and no HDR.


Post 18337
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58929046

I have yet to see HDR look worthwhile on any projector. BT2020 is worthwhile. HDR no.
I agree for the most part. I bought an LCD last week to replace my 10 year old Pioneer Kuro 6020FD plasma. I went with the Samsung Q80 75" since it had very good ratings and I thought I would need the brightness for my main floor living area. Well the brightness is nice for daytime viewing but at night it is so bright that I can't have the lights off or it hurts my eyes. There is a setting on the Q80 the auto adjusts brightness based on ambient light and it worked for the most part but I have read it can cause the colors to be inaccurate. I don't want to switch the brightness around every day depending on the ambient light. I brought down the plasma to compare and I actually prefer the 10 year old plasma overall with SDR material like the college football games broadcast yesterday. Even in the daytime the brightness difference is not enough to make the switch worth the money. So the TV is being boxed up and taken back today. Now I will admit this is a very good unit and last night I was able to calibrate it to look really close to my Kuro. The motion settings need to be turned off and it will deliver good motion for fast moving sports. The areas it bests the plasma are overall brightness and the whites are a truer shade.

My plan is to try the LG 65" B9. A middle ground in brightness between my old plasma and the new LCD should be just right. I'm think the white issue will be better too. Kind of a bummer it will be 10'' smaller but at my 7.5' viewing distance I think it will be fine. The signal quality for broadcast TV is fairly poor so the smaller size could be an advantage for SDR.

When I use my PJ in a black velvet room the bright scenes are plenty bright and can even at times make me squint like when a white scene flashes so I don't feel the need for a whole lot more. The one advantage could be if you want to have crazy bright highlights but I think if the highlights are too bright it is actually distracting and I do not prefer this.

One disagreement I have is when you say HDR is not worth it on a projector. Well it is now. The recent Dynamic Tone Mapping update on the JVC NX series is nothing short of a game changer. I thought my HDR was good on my old RS520 with custom curves but I didn't know better. Here is a review of the DTM update on Sound and Vision https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...mapping-update

HDR on projectors has finally arrived and without an expensive HTPC running MadVR or a Lumagen Radiance Pro. It is a free firmware update for the JVC NX series.

You mentioned the Mandalorian. Great show btw. I love the space western approach and I also did a whole year of Disney plus which is a slam dunk if you have kids our age. The show is almost unwatchable with static metadata. The DTM includes a brightness choice and this particular show requires the highest setting. Then the show comes alive and is presented in what I think is the directors intent. It is still a darker show overall and has a muted color palate. But it is not punishingly dark and the incredibly cinematic vistas are conveyed with contrast and appropriate punch. I do wish the show had been mastered with better black levels though.

I can see I need to have a movie night to convince you. We should check out a scene from Aquaman as well. It is kind of like watching it for the first time. In fact I have went back to watch many of my old HDR movies and found it to be a very different experience. Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind and all this HDR goodness is with correct color unlike the competition which sacrifices WAY too much to get proper brightness for HDR. I have 2 weeks off coming up. End of December and first week of January.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8240 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Has anyone gotten Disney + and watched the Mandalorian? Its pretty good and you have access to all of Disney movies and shows.


Ladeback - yeah I have it and am current on the mandelorian. It looks great in 4k but isn’t in atmos.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ladeback likes this.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #8241 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,186
Mentioned: 711 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked: 3361
Grant, I am off from Dec 21 to Jan 6, I want to come over to see the new projector for sure if that works. Did you also say something when I was trying out your gaming system that you were thinking about getting a headphone amp? I have a Grado amp I could give you if you want it.
carp is offline  
post #8242 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Grant, I am off from Dec 21 to Jan 6, I want to come over to see the new projector for sure if that works. Did you also say something when I was trying out your gaming system that you were thinking about getting a headphone amp? I have a Grado amp I could give you if you want it.
That would be awesome if you don’t want it! Michael says he is coming to calibrate on the 21st. I say we pick a night there isn’t a good bowl game.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8243 of 8333 Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

I have a killer idea for the KC Crew, and of course, for those who’re willing to travel to attend.

We should do a thing like dinner for 8 that they do at church for marriage groups, but for watching the Mandelorian - one episode per week at a different theater hosted by one our esteemed willing group members. My parents did this (marriage encounter, not Mandelorian club ), and they still connect with these close friends, and their kids - we are all still close. It’s pretty awesome. It would be the same layout/dynamic as the highly successful Dinner For 8 group meetings, except that there would be film watching instead of marital advise, beer drinking instead of scripture for family partners, and you can talk about the film and it’s audio and video instead of crap about why you shouldn’t beat your kids for being A-holes, but if you talk about your unrelated personal feelings, you get knocked the fvck out.

Yeah?!
JDontee and Ladeback like this.
d_c is online now  
post #8244 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I have a killer idea for the KC Crew, and of course, for those who’re willing to travel to attend.

We should do a thing like dinner for 8 that they do at church for marriage groups, but for watching the Mandelorian - one episode per week at a different theater hosted by one our esteemed willing group members. My parents did this (marriage encounter, not Mandelorian club ), and they still connect with these close friends, and their kids - we are all still close. It’s pretty awesome. It would be the same layout/dynamic as the highly successful Dinner For 8 group meetings, except that there would be film watching instead of marital advise, beer drinking instead of scripture for family partners, and you can talk about the film and it’s audio and video instead of crap about why you shouldn’t beat your kids for being A-holes, but if you talk about your unrelated personal feelings, you get knocked the fvck out.

Yeah?!


You own Disney stock don’t you...

I kid. I like the idea. I’d be in.
Ladeback likes this.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #8245 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Ladeback - yeah I have it and am current on the mandelorian. It looks great in 4k but isn’t in atmos.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So The Mandalorian should be in Atmos on all streaming devices that support the format. However, Disney has had issues working out the kinks. I do get Atmos to work on my Roku Premiere Plus but it is only in 5.1 on my Apple TV. The audio is a significant upgrade in Atmos. It goes from small and flat to bigger and more dynamic. It still suffers from Disney's general treatment of audio mixes. You need to really crank the volume up 4-8 dB beyond normal and it sadly lacks the dynamics of the best mixes. But the difference between the two formats is instantly noticeable.

On the video side of things my Roku puts out a dull picture that has some banding while the Apple TV gives a much darker shade of black and a fairly contrasty picture that almost does the show justice. It does still lack the deepest blacks available. I switched from The Mandalorian to The Expanse on Amazon Prime and just wow! It was like discovering the color black that was absent from Disney. The whole picture benefited in contrast and punch. The Mandalorian could use a better master. I will just go one thinking it is directors intent and they have a somewhat muted color palate to suit the space western theme.

I LOVE the show but the AV does leave something to be desired. I have put off watching it for the last 2 weeks in the hopes that Roku or Apple TV can work with Disney to fix the respective issues.
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8246 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post


Yeah, I don't want that nonsense. I don't want HDR either -- at least certainly not in it's broken implementation on the 5040UB. Awful. I ended up working around the issue a little bit by putting the projector in SDR mode and using Dave Harper's Harpervision settings on the next episode. I cleared the issue up entirely on the third episode by streaming from my HTPC using a web browser with 1080P and no HDR.

I have yet to see HDR look worthwhile on any projector. BT2020 is worthwhile. HDR no.
Out of curiosity have you played around at all with a Panasonic player, like the 420, and their HDR Optimizer. I haven't seen HDR in person on more than a couple 5040's but they seemed to handle it well.

As far as HDR on a projector, the RS520 had a lot of instances where the UHD counterpart in HDR better than the 2K counterpart (and not just due to the color). As JediMasterGrant says the DTM update on the NX/RSxxxx lineup is another notch up in quality and makes the experience very close to plug and play.

Granted a Panasonic and the HDR Optimizer wouldn't help with Disney + (unless they get an app), but I'd bet after using it with the RS520 you could at least say you'd seen worthwhile HDR on your projector.

jeahrens is online now  
post #8247 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You own Disney stock don’t you...

I kid. I like the idea. I’d be in.


I’m in!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #8248 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
So The Mandalorian should be in Atmos on all streaming devices that support the format. However, Disney has had issues working out the kinks. I do get Atmos to work on my Roku Premiere Plus but it is only in 5.1 on my Apple TV. The audio is a significant upgrade in Atmos. It goes from small and flat to bigger and more dynamic. It still suffers from Disney's general treatment of audio mixes. You need to really crank the volume up 4-8 dB beyond normal and it sadly lacks the dynamics of the best mixes. But the difference between the two formats is instantly noticeable.



On the video side of things my Roku puts out a dull picture that has some banding while the Apple TV gives a much darker shade of black and a fairly contrasty picture that almost does the show justice. It does still lack the deepest blacks available. I switched from The Mandalorian to The Expanse on Amazon Prime and just wow! It was like discovering the color black that was absent from Disney. The whole picture benefited in contrast and punch. The Mandalorian could use a better master. I will just go one thinking it is directors intent and they have a somewhat muted color palate to suit the space western theme.



I LOVE the show but the AV does leave something to be desired. I have put off watching it for the last 2 weeks in the hopes that Roku or Apple TV can work with Disney to fix the respective issues.


JMG - the interesting thing is that all the SW movies and the Disney documentary all are in atmos. It’s just the mandelorian that comes in 5.1 upconverted to atmos. It’s wierd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
chiptouz is offline  
post #8249 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jedimastergrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
JMG - the interesting thing is that all the SW movies and the Disney documentary all are in atmos. It’s just the mandelorian that comes in 5.1 upconverted to atmos. It’s wierd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it is a known issue and indeed strange. I get all of the Star Wars movies in Atmos on my Apple TV but not The Mandalorian. Have to use the Roku for Atmos at least for now. I need to check again. Fingers crossed.....
jedimastergrant is offline  
post #8250 of 8333 Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,416
Mentioned: 647 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4045 Post(s)
Liked: 3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Out of curiosity have you played around at all with a Panasonic player, like the 420, and their HDR Optimizer. I haven't seen HDR in person on more than a couple 5040's but they seemed to handle it well.

As far as HDR on a projector, the RS520 had a lot of instances where the UHD counterpart in HDR better than the 2K counterpart (and not just due to the color). As JediMasterGrant says the DTM update on the NX/RSxxxx lineup is another notch up in quality and makes the experience very close to plug and play.

Granted a Panasonic and the HDR Optimizer wouldn't help with Disney + (unless they get an app), but I'd bet after using it with the RS520 you could at least say you'd seen worthwhile HDR on your projector.
I bought a 420 panasonic player on Black Friday. So far I still haven't found the benefit of HDR, but I have found the benefit of better colors in the BT2020. (even if the 5040UB projector can't actually truly hit BT2020.) Kris Deering suggests any incomplete HDR implementation hardware (like the 5040UB 10Gbps limitation) should use HDR stripping and SDR + BT2020. After playing with the settings back and forth initially I tend to agree with him. But I will continue to tinker.

What the 420 player can do is make a 4K movies watchable on the 5040UB without crazy custom gamma hack settings like HarperVision. Previously, without HarperVision settings, anything 4K HDR looked worse than 1080P SDR on the 5040UB in my opinion - including 4K disks. They were washed out as the major problem.

The only reason I'd even consider the 4K disks at all with the hardware I have is sometimes the 1080P bluray doesn't have Atmos audio. So then I get to pick my poison - either give up picture quality, or give up audio quality. Harpervsion helped, and I can see where the Panasonic 420 can help even more - or at least make the video quality more plug and play/easily tunable per disk.


------------

Like you say - The Panasonic player has no app support for Disney + though.

Also - is Disney cheating resolution on its streaming service?

When I watched Mandalorian on 1080p streaming from my Windows 10 machine web browser it seemed more like a 720p stream or DVD quality image. The colors were okay being SDR, but the 4K streaming from the Amazon firestick looked of much higher resolution/quality/detail on the scenes you could actually see -- like looking at baby yoda's hair in the sunlight. That's not usually an issue between true 1080p and true 4K with the 5040UB. The upscaled 1080P is very nearly as good as the 4K downscaled with e-shift.

I have a roku coming tonight from the BF sales too. I'll try the roku and see how it looks compared to the firestick and HTPC.


juggling streamers -- not fun. I thought Apple TV was the silver bullet - but now I hear it doesn't have Atmos on Mandolorian either?


Maybe @d_c we should pick a series that we can better showcase our theaters with? No Atmos, 720p quality streaming, Disney's dynamic less audio,

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | (8) Ultimax UM18-22 sealed subwoofers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted directly to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Denon x7200wa AVR | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144", 2.35:1 AT screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off