Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2569Likes

post #8221 of 8242 Old 11-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Swapped out the old yamaha aventage 1030 for the newer 3080 today, got BB magnolia down to 1600 bnib.

And snagged a Panasonic 420 Blu-ray that archea linked for 149.

My transition to 4k is complete. Wallet hates me.

Ypao got pretty close I'd say, had to fix a few things. Much better detail in the room now.

And the Epson 5050 is a dream.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Archaea, d_c and Ladeback like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8242 Old 11-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If anyone has a use for a good working Yamaha aventage 1030 (have original box) or Sony bdp5100, hollar

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #8223 of 8242 Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 636 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Try Netflix "The King" and let me know what you think? It's not historically accurate to King Henry's tale, but it is an interesting watch. I enjoyed it.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8224 of 8242 Old 12-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 92
December get together

So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.
post #8225 of 8242 Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1234 View Post
So Saturday the 7th was not a popular night for the December get together. Therefore I am offering this Thursday the 5th if anyone is interested. North of the river and four people if we sit and watch a full movie or five if we are just watching demo clips.
I could probably come, but if others who haven't seen your theater want to come, I will be an alternate.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #8226 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Unfortunately, my NX7 had a convergence issue pop up, and JVC is sending me a new unit. Not looking forward to setting it up for the 3rd time.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #8227 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are still hosting tonight, I’ll attend. I could use the break from the norm.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #8228 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If you are still hosting tonight, I’ll attend. I could use the break from the norm.

Well you are the first one to not be a tentative, but I would be happy to have you come over.

Mark
post #8229 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well you are the first one to not be a tentative, but I would be happy to have you come over.

Mark
I can make it and sounds like you have room. I could bring the new Hellboy movie in 4K.

What time are you thinking?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #8230 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I can make it and sounds like you have room. I could bring the new Hellboy movie in 4K.

What time are you thinking?
Hi Doug,
Sounds good. No set time. 6:30 7:00 works.

Mark
Ladeback likes this.
post #8231 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Doug,

Sounds good. No set time. 6:30 7:00 works.

Mark
Ok, that works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #8232 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
It didn't work for me to head there tonight but I still plan to check it out sometime. Sorry I missed it.
post #8233 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Unfortunately, my NX7 had a convergence issue pop up, and JVC is sending me a new unit. Not looking forward to setting it up for the 3rd time.
Are you sure it doesn't say Epson on your unit . Sorry for the bad luck.
Archaea and JDontee like this.
post #8234 of 8242 Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Are you sure it doesn't say Epson on your unit . Sorry for the bad luck.
I was wondering why the JVC Logo looked like it was just printed on a mailing label.

LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
post #8235 of 8242 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone in the area that rips 4K discs willing to try ripping an episode off the season 8 Game of Thrones set? I've been able to rip 5 of the episodes, but episode 3 keeps failing and I've tried 3 discs now on 2 different computers/drives.

I can bring the disc, and probably a flash drive or dual layer bluray.

Edit: Cancel that, I finally got it to work.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; Today at 01:05 AM.
post #8236 of 8242 Old Today, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

@Luke Kamp

A while back we had the discussion that you agreed with someone in the autistic crowd of high end enthusiasts that suggested they wanted, endgame, a projector that could replicate real life, be perfect black, and have NIT count that could match the sun's brightness. In other words - you'd like a projector that could perfectly mimic real life.
I thought that was crazy. I don't want Hollywood in charge of the capability to damage my vision. I want my equipment to safeguard me against some overly enthusiastic director's intent.

I.E. I don't want an onscreen flash-bang in 13 hours, to be as painful as it is in real life -- not in audio, not in video --- never.
never ever
never ever never

Likewise I don't want the sun's reflections off the chrome bumper in The Highwaymen to make me see spots because that mimics real life...

I thought of this discussion last night - when I ran into this same problem on my humble (by comparison to that extreme) 122 NIT image. I watched Manadlorian on Disney last night. HDR is a hot mess with my 5040UB on that show. I mean absolutely terrible.

But at one point in the first episode there is a scene that's very dark on my projector setup in default HDR mode - as in unwatchably dark. In this scene the Mandalorian is getting his armor upgraded, and each time the forge impacts there is supposed to be a blinding white light. Well let me tell you - it was actually painful. The projector was going from pretty much black, to full bore white. It was making me look away with each impact. It made my eyes hurt for a few minutes after.

Yeah, I don't want that nonsense. I don't want HDR either -- at least certainly not in it's broken implementation on the 5040UB. Awful. I ended up working around the issue a little bit by putting the projector in SDR mode and using Dave Harper's Harpervision settings on the next episode. I cleared the issue up entirely on the third episode by streaming from my HTPC using a web browser with 1080P and no HDR.

Post 18337
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58929046

I have yet to see HDR look worthwhile on any projector. BT2020 is worthwhile. HDR no.

Last edited by Archaea; Today at 07:54 AM.
post #8237 of 8242 Old Today, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

@markb1234

Thanks for the movie night on Thursday night. That was enjoyable. You introduced me to Disney + -- and the Mandalorian Episode 1. I went home and bought a year's subscription! Mandalorian looks to be a great show! I've now watched all five available episodes. I like that mirrored the original trilogy in sound, look, and feel - using puppetry where possible, and just like the original trilogy you either spoke English, or unintelligible alien -- there was no Jamaican, Chinese, or any other absurd English accent that makes no sense in the context of a distant galaxy of unique aliens.

nonsense:

It was fun to watch John Wick 3 at your place too. You have a really enjoyable theater space to watch a movie, and I appreciate you sharing your space with Luke, Doug, and I for the evening!

post #8238 of 8242 Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
@markb1234

Thanks for the movie night on Thursday night. That was enjoyable. You introduced me to Disney + -- and the Mandalorian Episode 1. I went home and bought a year's subscription! Mandalorian looks to be a great show! I've now watched all five available episodes. I like that mirrored the original trilogy in sound, look, and feel - using puppetry where possible, and just like the original trilogy you either spoke English, or unintelligible alien -- there was no Jamaican, Chinese, or any other absurd English accent that makes no sense in the context of a distant galaxy of unique aliens.

nonsense:

It was fun to watch John Wick 3 at your place too. You have a really enjoyable theater space to watch a movie, and I appreciate you sharing your space with Luke, Doug, and I for the evening!
Yeah Thursday night was a lot of fun. Technically Doug introduced both of us to Mandalorian. And Doug thank you for bringing over John Wick 3. It is a blast to watch. Not sure I have ever heard so many dynamic gun shots in one movie. Luke it was good to meet you. I have just one request. Could you make your Star Wars comments into a podcast or YouTube video? That stuff is pure gold and hilarious. Come back anytime.
Archaea likes this.
post #8239 of 8242 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Luke Kamp

A while back we had the discussion that you agreed with someone in the autistic crowd of high end enthusiasts that suggested they wanted, endgame, a projector that could replicate real life, be perfect black, and have NIT count that could match the sun's brightness. In other words - you'd like a projector that could perfectly mimic real life.
I thought that was crazy. I don't want Hollywood in charge of the capability to damage my vision. I want my equipment to safeguard me against some overly enthusiastic director's intent.

I.E. I don't want an onscreen flash-bang in 13 hours, to be as painful as it is in real life -- not in audio, not in video --- never.
never ever
never ever never

Likewise I don't want the sun's reflections off the chrome bumper in The Highwaymen to make me see spots because that mimics real life...

I thought of this discussion last night - when I ran into this same problem on my humble (by comparison to that extreme) 122 NIT image. I watched Manadlorian on Disney last night. HDR is a hot mess with my 5040UB on that show. I mean absolutely terrible.

But at one point in the first episode there is a scene that's very dark on my projector setup in default HDR mode - as in unwatchably dark. In this scene the Mandalorian is getting his armor upgraded, and each time the forge impacts there is supposed to be a blinding white light. Well let me tell you - it was actually painful. The projector was going from pretty much black, to full bore white. It was making me look away with each impact. It made my eyes hurt for a few minutes after.

Yeah, I don't want that nonsense. I don't want HDR either -- at least certainly not in it's broken implementation on the 5040UB. Awful. I ended up working around the issue a little bit by putting the projector in SDR mode and using Dave Harper's Harpervision settings on the next episode. I cleared the issue up entirely on the third episode by streaming from my HTPC using a web browser with 1080P and no HDR.

Post 18337
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58929046

I have yet to see HDR look worthwhile on any projector. BT2020 is worthwhile. HDR no.
I agree for the most part. I bought an LCD last week to replace my 10 year old Pioneer Kuro 6020FD plasma. I went with the Samsung Q80 75" since it had very good ratings and I thought I would need the brightness for my main floor living area. Well the brightness is nice for daytime viewing but at night it is so bright that I can't have the lights off or it hurts my eyes. There is a setting on the Q80 the auto adjusts brightness based on ambient light and it worked for the most part but I have read it can cause the colors to be inaccurate. I don't want to switch the brightness around every day depending on the ambient light. I brought down the plasma to compare and I actually prefer the 10 year old plasma overall with SDR material like the college football games broadcast yesterday. Even in the daytime the brightness difference is not enough to make the switch worth the money. So the TV is being boxed up and taken back today. Now I will admit this is a very good unit and last night I was able to calibrate it to look really close to my Kuro. The motion settings need to be turned off and it will deliver good motion for fast moving sports. The areas it bests the plasma are overall brightness and the whites are a truer shade.

My plan is to try the LG 65" B9. A middle ground in brightness between my old plasma and the new LCD should be just right. I'm think the white issue will be better too. Kind of a bummer it will be 10'' smaller but at my 7.5' viewing distance I think it will be fine. The signal quality for broadcast TV is fairly poor so the smaller size could be an advantage for SDR.

When I use my PJ in a black velvet room the bright scenes are plenty bright and can even at times make me squint like when a white scene flashes so I don't feel the need for a whole lot more. The one advantage could be if you want to have crazy bright highlights but I think if the highlights are too bright it is actually distracting and I do not prefer this.

One disagreement I have is when you say HDR is not worth it on a projector. Well it is now. The recent Dynamic Tone Mapping update on the JVC NX series is nothing short of a game changer. I thought my HDR was good on my old RS520 with custom curves but I didn't know better. Here is a review of the DTM update on Sound and Vision https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...mapping-update

HDR on projectors has finally arrived and without an expensive HTPC running MadVR or a Lumagen Radiance Pro. It is a free firmware update for the JVC NX series.

You mentioned the Mandalorian. Great show btw. I love the space western approach and I also did a whole year of Disney plus which is a slam dunk if you have kids our age. The show is almost unwatchable with static metadata. The DTM includes a brightness choice and this particular show requires the highest setting. Then the show comes alive and is presented in what I think is the directors intent. It is still a darker show overall and has a muted color palate. But it is not punishingly dark and the incredibly cinematic vistas are conveyed with contrast and appropriate punch. I do wish the show had been mastered with better black levels though.

I can see I need to have a movie night to convince you. We should check out a scene from Aquaman as well. It is kind of like watching it for the first time. In fact I have went back to watch many of my old HDR movies and found it to be a very different experience. Blade Runner 2049 comes to mind and all this HDR goodness is with correct color unlike the competition which sacrifices WAY too much to get proper brightness for HDR. I have 2 weeks off coming up. End of December and first week of January.
post #8240 of 8242 Old Today, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Has anyone gotten Disney + and watched the Mandalorian? Its pretty good and you have access to all of Disney movies and shows.

Ladeback - yeah I have it and am current on the mandelorian. It looks great in 4k but isn’t in atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ladeback likes this.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon x6500h + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S & RH: Polk TC60i, FH: Volt10v2's, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt8v2 for Surround
post #8241 of 8242 Old Today, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 695 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked: 3308
Grant, I am off from Dec 21 to Jan 6, I want to come over to see the new projector for sure if that works. Did you also say something when I was trying out your gaming system that you were thinking about getting a headphone amp? I have a Grado amp I could give you if you want it.
post #8242 of 8242 Old Today, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Grant, I am off from Dec 21 to Jan 6, I want to come over to see the new projector for sure if that works. Did you also say something when I was trying out your gaming system that you were thinking about getting a headphone amp? I have a Grado amp I could give you if you want it.
That would be awesome if you don’t want it! Michael says he is coming to calibrate on the 21st. I say we pick a night there isn’t a good bowl game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page