Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2732Likes

post #8521 of 8540 Old 03-22-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Anyone using this stay at home order to do some home theater projects or enjoying their theater?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
My wife and I last night ordered from a local restaurant we love called Targo in the Northland that is kind of like La bodega. The food was great, I ordered it, went and picked it up and they brought the food to my truck. You can even order alcohol to go. We watched The Spi In Disguise in our living room on our 75" 4K TV, because she didn't feel like going to our basement. It is 5.1 surround, so I didn't mind. This morning we watched Running With The Divil. It was interesting, but not sure I would watch it again.

I am currently down in my theater just watching done YouTube videos, may watch a movie later.

I did get some brackets to mount small bookshelf speakers from my unfinished ceiling, but can't bring myself to put screws in the back of my Klipsch speakers. I think I am going to try out some old Phase Tech PC40's first to see if I like the set up. Also I could have 7.1.2 then. Not sure what else I may do during the quarantine.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8540 Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Anyone using this stay at home order to do some home theater projects or enjoying their theater?

You guys get to stay at home?

I did watch The Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix. It's worth a viewing. I also watched the Austin Powers Trilogy while I did some honey-do tasks this weekend. Such a classic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You guys.png
Views:	238
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	2700932  
post #8523 of 8540 Old 03-23-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5771 Post(s)
Liked: 5625
Quote:

Tried to watch Dark Phoenix the other night and made it to the shuttle launch scene (like 5 minutes in) and got told to shut it down....haha. I have done some gaming tho lately so that's nice.
stitch1 and jedimastergrant like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8524 of 8540 Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Subcended today! Went from the 2x REL 212SE that I had, they are being returned, to 2x JTR Captivator 4000 ULF - 200 lbs of total subs to 600 lbs.

It was a serious pain just getting them into my house. With the Rona going around and social distancing I was in my on and my arms and legs ache from manhandling these things. I had to literally roll them end over end into my house. Pushed them up to a set of stairs, put foam on the stairs and then rolled them up end over end up and in. Then I came to the carpet. These things are so heavy they won’t even slide. I had to breakout the carpet sliders. Even then it was stupid hard to move them, but they’re in.

First thing my wife did to me when she walked in the door from work and saw them was look me square in the face, shake her head and say, “Why? Just why? Your other subs were big. You didn’t tel me these were bigger. What is wrong with you?” Oops... She’ll get over it.

Initially listening impressions is that these things are amazing. The sound quality is exponentially better than the REL. People say the REL are smooth and they were, but these things just sound effortless and there is headroom. I’m my god there is headroom. There is headroom for the headroom that already has headroom. I have not cranked them because even at low volume you can hear them from the street outside my house...

JTR, you are a master craftsmen my friend. These should be endgame subs for anyone looking to upgrade. I know they are for me.

P.S. JTR confirmed for me that these have the new drivers in them. I never did hear the JTR subs with the old drivers, but I assume these are just a smidge better?

Before with the REL subs.

After with the JTR subs.
srw1000, carp, Archaea and 6 others like this.
post #8525 of 8540 Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Nice! Yea that's a serious upgrade. Larger drivers just hit everything so effortlessly it's crazy. Barely move at normal levels. Once you get those all tuned, it'll be crazy how much more low end you'll have!

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
post #8526 of 8540 Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking

[quote=M0ltar;59411612]Subcended today! Went from the 2x REL 212SE that I had, they are being returned, to 2x JTR Captivator 4000 ULF - 200 lbs of total subs to 600 lbs.

It was a serious pain just getting them into my house. With the Rona going around and social distancing I was in my on and my arms and legs ache from manhandling these things. I had to literally roll them end over end into my house. Pushed them up to a set of stairs, put foam on the stairs and then rolled them up end over end up and in. Then I came to the carpet. These things are so heavy they won’t even slide. I had to breakout the carpet sliders. Even then it was stupid hard to move them, but they’re in.

First thing my wife did to me when she walked in the door from work and saw them was look me square in the face, shake her head and say, “Why? Just why? Your other subs were big. You didn’t tel me these were bigger. What is wrong with you?” Oops... She’ll get over it.

Initially listening impressions is that these things are amazing. The sound quality is exponentially better than the REL. People say the REL are smooth and they were, but these things just sound effortless and there is headroom. I’m my god there is headroom. There is headroom for the headroom that already has headroom. I have not cranked them because even at low volume you can hear them from the street outside my house...

JTR, you are a master craftsmen my friend. These should be endgame subs for anyone looking to upgrade. I know they are for me.

P.S. JTR confirmed for me that these have the new drivers in them. I never did hear the JTR subs with the old drivers, but I assume these are just a smidge better?

2 Captivator 4000 ULF? I experiences one of the first ones of these in 2017 during the crawl at d_c's and thought that would be more base then I ever need in my room I am slowly building. Guess I am getting old. My wife would have said no way to the 4000's. I would just be happy with a coupe RS2's if I could afford them.

Enjoy them and don't be surprised when your neighbors come knocking on the door asking what is going on.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #8527 of 8540 Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 AM

[quote=Ladeback;59412538]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ltar View Post
Subcended today! Went from the 2x REL 212SE that I had, they are being returned, to 2x JTR Captivator 4000 ULF - 200 lbs of total subs to 600 lbs.

2 Captivator 4000 ULF? I experiences one of the first ones of these in 2017 during the crawl at d_c's and thought that would be more base then I ever need in my room I am slowly building. Guess I am getting old. My wife would have said no way to the 4000's. I would just be happy with a coupe RS2's if I could afford them.

Enjoy them and don't be surprised when your neighbors come knocking on the door asking what is going on.

I’m more worried about drywall detaching. These things are crazy! I can’t turn them up too loud because of the room they’re in and me being worried about a giant mirror coming off the wall.
post #8528 of 8540 Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=M0ltar;59413034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post

I’m more worried about drywall detaching. These things are crazy! I can’t turn them up too loud because of the room they’re in and me being worried about a giant mirror coming off the wall.
When Jeff brought the one 4000 and I believe a pair of Noesis 212HT's to the Home theater craw in 2017, d_c had just put up drywall in his basement theater and it was backing the screws out of the wall. He went around with a cordless drill screwing them back in. It also made the his chafing dish burners got out in the kitchen above and was vibrating the whole house.

I could have brought the 4000 ULF in for a demo in my basement theater, but the wife said no and I didn't want to deal with getting it to my basement and back up.

post #8529 of 8540 Old 03-26-2020, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 720 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:

After with the JTR subs.

The bass already sounded great in that room with the old subs, has to be crazy now... also I really liked those ML's for music. I didn't hear them for movies but I bet they are great for that too.
post #8530 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Who is up for seeing Top Gun Maverick in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZgwHU1GcI
The new, long trailer looks pretty good. I'm open to a GTG at my new theater, hopefully this year. Archaea & carp have been by for a brief pre-isolation demo.

Topgun 1 might be a good one. I see it's coming out in UHD May 19 (what a coincidence). I've already bought it three times (DVD, Blu-ray, 3-D). Not sure I can stomach a fourth purchase, but we'll see. I was a F-14 RIO, (see, Goose). I left shortly before filming began. We were in the same hanger as Topgun. Some of my former colleagues did the flying as well as cameo appearances as extras. We could also discuss the movie vs real life Navy fighters, etc.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050, Seymour Center Stage XD 130"w 150"d 16:9, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 BD/SACD, Harmony Elite Remote, 10 Seats
post #8531 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
The new, long trailer looks pretty good. I'm open to a GTG at my new theater, hopefully this year. Archaea & carp have been by for a brief pre-isolation demo.

Topgun 1 might be a good one. I see it's coming out in UHD May 19 (what a coincidence). I've already bought it three times (DVD, Blu-ray, 3-D). Not sure I can stomach a fourth purchase, but we'll see. I was a F-14 RIO, (see, Goose). I left shortly before filming began. We were in the same hanger as Topgun. Some of my former colleagues did the flying as well as cameo appearances as extras. We could also discuss the movie vs real life Navy fighters, etc.

I’d be down for that. Not until this COVID19 stuff passes though unfortunately.
Ladeback likes this.
post #8532 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post

I would be up for it as well. I have it on laser disk and through Prime. I did see it is coming out in UHD soon.

Now the COVID19 may be a while from what I am hearing. There is talk of not have a college football season. It comes down to when people stop testing positive before people can go back to work. AMC is closed for 3 months, they must think it is going to be a while.

post #8533 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM

What we could do to get our interactions in with other people is do something like weekly or biweekly video conferences on Zoom, Discord, or similar. Could be a good way to just chat about AVS or other things until this whole things blows over.
Archaea likes this.
post #8534 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I’d be down for that.
Quote:
I would be up for it as well.
One's down, one's up. Maybe we need a poll.
Archaea likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050, Seymour Center Stage XD 130"w 150"d 16:9, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 BD/SACD, Harmony Elite Remote, 10 Seats
post #8535 of 8540 Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 694
I might give Top Gun on UHD a shot. I have the 3D set already, so I don't need it. I'll see how the reviews come out. I imagine that one could sound pretty awesome if they do a good job on the Atmos (or DTS:X?) mix.
Archaea likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #8536 of 8540 Old 03-28-2020, 01:15 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

Quote:

After with the JTR subs.

Congrats! I’ll need a demo when this crap blows over. Acoustic music on Martin Logans is about as good it gets I think
post #8537 of 8540 Old 03-30-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Congrats! I’ll need a demo when this crap blows over. Acoustic music on Martin Logans is about as good it gets I think

My room isn’t hugely conducive to awesomeness at the money as this setup is in my living room. Building a new house with a dedicated theater space, but have to make due with what I have for now.
Ladeback likes this.
post #8538 of 8540 Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Bought Midway through Vudu the other night. Man, that was a bass monster! Really some great sound in that movie (surround effects, not just bass). Movie itself was pretty interesting. Wife actually stayed awake to watch it as well, she enjoyed it. Some of the special effects were kinda.... off. Idk, the fires in the opening Pearl Harbor scene just didn't look right to me at times. But liked it overall. Subs hadn't had a workout like that in a while...

Anyone else love the bass in that movie?

Blister64 Full Basement Build Panasonic PT-AE8000U | Yamaha RX-A3070 | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | DIY Sound Group Ported 1299 TMWW Front Stage | DIY SG Volt 10 Surrounds | Monoprice 8" Alpha In-ceiling Atmos | Three Stereo Integrity HS-24 mkIII's sealed | Sinbosen FP20000Q
YouTube Channel for builds and reviews Life Of Bliss YouTube
post #8539 of 8540 Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blister64 View Post
Bought Midway through Vudu the other night. Man, that was a bass monster! Really some great sound in that movie (surround effects, not just bass). Movie itself was pretty interesting. Wife actually stayed awake to watch it as well, she enjoyed it. Some of the special effects were kinda.... off. Idk, the fires in the opening Pearl Harbor scene just didn't look right to me at times. But liked it overall. Subs hadn't had a workout like that in a while...

Anyone else love the bass in that movie?
I want to see it and 1917. I may hit up Redbox soon to try them both out. Wish I had some kind of 4K in the basement. I like the brightness and contrast of my new 4K TV, but like the large screen in my basement theater. Maybe some day.
blister64 likes this.

post #8540 of 8540 Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My room isn’t hugely conducive to awesomeness at the money as this setup is in my living room. Building a new house with a dedicated theater space, but have to make due with what I have for now.
What part of KC are you building in and do you have a plan of your theater you could share on here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page