Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2875Likes

post #8821 of 8827 Old 06-29-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 658 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4314 Post(s)
Liked: 4141
Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

@lukeamdman . You probably have the most capable L/R speakers system on the forum, as far as I know with your dual 18" mains. Have you ever tried to see just how loud you can make a single gunshot on your mains setup?

Is it even possible to record that level of a .50 cal SPL and make it clean enough to try to reproduce without damaging a speaker setup? I noticed with the iPhone camera, it was obviously purposely attenuating the sound in the recording when it got too loud to try to keep it clean - and while the video didn't communicate the volume - it wasn't just batting out the recording with distorted garbage sound. You could still hear the basic sound signature, even if majorly dampened.

I wonder what frequency (Hz) the sound of that .50 cal is even centered on? It'd be fun to try to capture it with a mic - even at distance to see if the sound could be somewhat adequately recorded cleanly. Maybe like the Danley fireworks recording of yesteryear.

Obviously I have many questions and 0 answers.

If anyone has any neat info or recording attempts on this - post em up!

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 06-29-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 8827 Old 06-29-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@lukeamdman . You probably have the most capable L/R speakers system on the forum, as far as I know with your dual 18" mains. Have you ever tried to see just how loud you can make a single gunshot on your mains setup?

Is it even possible to record that level of a .50 cal SPL and make it clean enough to try to reproduce without damaging a speaker setup? I noticed with the iPhone camera, it was obviously purposely attenuating the sound in the recording when it got to loud to try to keep it clean - and while it didn't communicate the volume - it wasn't just batting out the recording with distorted garbage sound. You could still hear the basic sound signature, even if majorly dampened.

I wonder what frequency (Hz) the sound of that .50 cal is even centered on? It'd be fun to try to capture it with a mic - even at distance to see if the sound could be somewhat adequately recorded cleanly. Maybe like the Danley fireworks recording of yesteryear.

Obviously I have many questions and 0 answers.

It would be interesting to see a Spectrum Lab of a 50 cal. If my ACO mic setup was back ~50-60ft I could probably capture it without clipping, but even then I'm not sure if a diaphragm mic would be enough to really capture the dynamics.

I'd imagine the frequency range of that shot to be pretty dang wide.
Archaea likes this.
post #8823 of 8827 Old 06-29-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@lukeamdman

Your post reminded me of the Zoom F6 that I was kicking the tires on a few months ago. With dual ADCs / floating 32-bit recordings it almost makes clipping impossible and setting the gain is actually DISABLED vs 24-bit because of the dynamic range it allows, rendering the gain effectively useless.

Watch this view that helps show the crazy amounts of leeway you get with this approach.

Now, even with all that, if you paired that device with, say, an AKG 300B, that will net you only(?!) about 131 decibels of dynamic range. Do what Luke said though, back off a few feet, and then turn it up an additional 20-30 decibles at home (That's most people's noise floor anyway), and you'd get pretty close to your experience. LOL

Of course there are companies that make even higher-end recording devices if you're trying to capture the sound without distortion. Here's a company that sells mics that capture sound up to nearly 200 decibels! (That's not the total dynamic range, but the amount of pressure it can take) Yes, in that range you'd die pretty quickly.

https://www.gras.dk/microphone-guide/dynamic-range
Archaea likes this.

Last edited by chirpie; 06-29-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8824 of 8827 Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Interesting. This was released on 6/22/20.

Archaea likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator

Last edited by desertdome; 06-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.
post #8825 of 8827 Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Interesting. This was released on 6/22/20.

https://youtu.be/pP-W6ichb0w
hmmm...interesting...
If the AR15 is 160-170dB range as shown by the graphic, then that that .50 cal, I would have guessed, was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY louder. The AR15s and similar sounded like toy pop guns compared to that Barrett .50 cal.

Unless peak SPL and tactile feel can't be compared directly in this case? This graphic doesn't show .50 cal but other sources I looked up online said 160-170dB range too. There were literally hundreds of AR15s going off in the background behind us as we walked the shooting line. They were nothing. You didn't feel them, they weren't concussive, at least with the 3M ear muffs on they were barely anything. As we walked towards that short barrel .50 cal you could start feeling it probably 50+ foot away, and as you got close it felt downright harmful. Each shot's blast was punishing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huh.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2750912  

post #8826 of 8827 Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
A Larson LXT1-QPR was used by Ammotogo.com for the measurements in the chart. Here is a video from Larson on how to perform firearm noise testing.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #8827 of 8827 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events!

For anyone initially following the Denon 2020, x4700h poor review saga at ASR.

They figured out the problem in working with Denon. It was basically a testing error. The unit now scores very close to the x3600h which was a strong testing unit, and came highly recommended. (Higher even than a couple of Marantz prepros including the 2018, 8805 FWIW)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...updated.14493/

Last edited by Archaea; Yesterday at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page