Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2517Likes

post #2101 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Thanks Grant!
Wish I could have stayed longer but excellent meeting everyone. Once I get a more respectable screen size, I'll have to host one as well.

I kinda hate you now Cus seeing your AWESOME Ht is going to cost me a lot of money!!!

I do have to say those jtr horns weren't bright and harsh like the horns I remember from years ago. Actually on the contrary, they were smoother than mine. I'm eating my words on dislike of horns. That orbital shifter put out more bass than I currently have but I have to say it was the tightness and responsiveness of that sub that really surprised me.

I didn't even make it through my front door and I was already seriously contemplating 120-140" screen and ripping out all my carpentry. I think I could make magnetic panels like yours really easily and get a nice black, burgundy, gold built in look. Would be so much easier to get behind the front for wiring and speaker swaps, larger speakers etc. The real game changer for me though was probably your "projection booth". Getting the pj fan away, extending my throw, and completely eliminating fishing of cable and running of new electrical.....

Do u know if that glass in front of pj is just plain or AR? Were your front panels magnets? Single layer speaker fabric? I'm thinking your screen may be 120"? I'm assuming no anamorphic lens and I could just use lens memory on rs400 for 2.35/16.9? I'm strongly leaning towards 2.35 screen as I think most movies I watch are native.

Thanks again! Jealous and inspired with new ideas. I need to see some other locals and I could probably drive myself into bankruptcy!
Glad you could make it Derek. Sorry we did not have more time for demos. I would have loved to play some music for you.

The glass is AR coated and set at an angle.

Screen is 110 wide at 2.35.

Best thing to do in your room is to first find the ideal place for your front row in regards to the audio. Then decide what viewing angle you prefer and put the appropriate sized screen in place. Now you know how bright you need your projector to be and if you need a gain screen. Most people do this exactly opposite and end up with audio problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
I know the PJ talk was a little ways back, but over the last 3 months I have cruised through PJ's. I moved from JVC 4910 to sony 55es, to sony 350es to now the Epson ls10000. TBH if you guys are looking for incredible motion, sharp picture, and plenty of brightness, that sony 55es (or even 40es) is a GREAT pj. I would say the absolute best bang for the buck out there. The 350 improves to native 4k and retains that brightness, but all things considered, at least at this point I find the improvement negligible at best. The 55 was truly impressive. The brightness of those two machines was addicting too. The Epson to me a fine blend between all the PJ's I tested. Brighter than the JVC, but not the Sony, better contrast than the Sony but not the JVC, better lag time than the JVC but not the sony, and a light source that I really don't ever have to worry about compared to a $500 bulb each time on the sony OR JVC. I can use it like a television! All that said, I still do miss the brightness of the Sonys sometimes.

Just thought I would compare my experiences for those considering moves around here The new JVC's look enticing, but that lag is just too high to game with.
Archaea likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #2103 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Yeah, the JVC's aren't for gaming. I measured about 130 ms on the RS67U at RMAF. I agree that the 55es at $2500 is probably the best deal and works well for gaming.

The Sony 55es has about 1000 calibrated lumens in high lamp mode. Then new JVC DLA-X5000 (same as DLA-RS400) has been measured at 1200 calibrated lumens - in low lamp mode!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked: 3682
Why are they going so bright? Isn't that actually a problem for blacked out rooms? If low lamp mode is 1200 lumens - that may not always be a good thing?!?!?!

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2105 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Yeah, the JVC's aren't for gaming. I measured about 130 ms on the RS67U at RMAF. I agree that the 55es at $2500 is probably the best deal and works well for gaming.

The Sony 55es has about 1000 calibrated lumens in high lamp mode. Then new JVC DLA-X5000 (same as DLA-RS400) has been measured at 1200 calibrated lumens - in low lamp mode!
Yea that's an impressive feat for JVC and a huge reason a lot of folks might transition back to them. With that brightness they should be able to achieve some incredible contrast. If they could get the lag thing taken care of too, I'd just about slide on back as well.

post #2106 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why are they going so bright? Isn't that actually a problem for blacked out rooms? If low lamp mode is 1200 lumens - that may not always be a good thing?!?!?!
The JVC projectors are unique in that they have a 15 step manual iris. Closing the iris reduces the light output while increasing contrast. So if low lamp mode with the iris all the way open puts 17 fl on your screen based on your size/distance, then you can close the iris down to get 14 fl. You can also manually set the iris, and then turn on dynamic iris for an even higher contrast ratio.

Several benefits:
  • Lets one use a larger screen
  • Lets one get a higher contrast ratio if brightness isn't needed
  • Allows one to get consistent lumens as the bulb ages (open iris and/or switch to high lamp mode)
  • You get a brighter 3D image
  • If you used high lamp mode on current projector, you can now switch to low lamp for quieter operation
  • HDR requires the average picture brightness to be a lower percentage than peak brightness - so you need higher peak levels to maintain the same picture brightness overall
post #2107 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
@stitch1 , you missed it by about 15 minutes man. After I ate, I jumped into the manual setup of audyssey. Atmos is something that Yamaha nor Denon nor Marantz do quite right. Probably room specific too. But I've seen this across Yamaha and D&M now.

They just always set the TFs too low. They had me at about -7 to -8.5db!! They set the TRs, which are really close to MLP, at -3.5db or so and the sub dropped down about -8db. I kicked up the sub 3db, raised the TFs by 1.5db each. and dropped the TRs by an additional 1.5db. It's not perfect but it's damn near on point with my Yammie A2040 setup. You know when you have it right when things are moving through the room, corner to corners, low to high. Not justs sound up above you.

With gravity you literally hear the parachute open below your right shoulder and move through the room up to the far top left corner of the ceiling. The bubbles raise from floor all the way up through the room and come to rest on the ceiling. The frogs swim through the room and the bugs are not on the ceiling but flying THROUGH the room. Rain falls down the room, not just sound from the ceiling. With Leaf demo you will hear the wind blowing through the room, the bugs in the middle of the room the leafs rustling down from the ceiling to the floor.

For some reason, the optimizers just set the TRs so hot it completely ruins the effect. And they tend to under emphasize the TFs so that sound can't travel from surrounds towards the ceiling and in between. When set right, you can clearly hear things fly from TRs through TFs to the LCR. Object base is a reality and x,y,z coordinates pop to life as opposed to discrete channels.

Anyway, it wasn't at it's best since the 7702mk2 was only 10 minutes into it's first usage. I'll tweak things a tiny bit more but it's so damn close now that it actually impressed me.
stitch1 likes this.
post #2108 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 320
It was sounding pretty dang good while I was there. The parachute did sound like it came low moving up to the top and then filled out to the full room. But I get what you are saying about the others. Like anything in this hobby once you get it all dialed in it goes from good to excellent.
@jedimastergrant I would recommend you go check out Stoked's room before you start buying speakers (or paying anything extra) for Atmos. With his placement the imaging, separation, and blend with his mains was top notch. I think you will be surprised at his rear overheads placement. The worries you were having are all for not. Seriously go check it out!

I will pay your atmos the best complement I can at this point. I left thinking that was as cool as the demo clips and made me want to watch a movie in Atmos. I'm kinda a fence sitter with Atmos. Sure it's cool for demos but I've never seen the value in a home setting. Today has changed that. Well done @Stoked21 I am sure the more you play with the settings the better it will get.
post #2109 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
This Cubs fan is wishing the Royals the very best in whooping the Mets
carp and stitch1 like this.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #2110 of 8160 Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
post #2111 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 AM

Great win last night guys. Didn't watch a single pitch, but great win! I was too busy playing the new Halo.... who's sound mix so far is pretty darn incredible if you ask me. The story? I didn't realize I was supposed to read like 6 different novelas and a series of comic books along with some audio tapes before I played this game. I feel like I don't even know what's happening. I wiki'd the story just to catch up a little after the first mission, it was neough to get me over the hump. Pretty cool so far though.

post #2112 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
...and Colon picked up the bunt like a Boston creme filled long john...
Dude, they better not all go that late. I'm too old.
post #2113 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Great win last night guys. Didn't watch a single pitch, but great win! I was too busy playing the new Halo.... who's sound mix so far is pretty darn incredible if you ask me. The story? I didn't realize I was supposed to read like 6 different novelas and a series of comic books along with some audio tapes before I played this game. I feel like I don't even know what's happening. I wiki'd the story just to catch up a little after the first mission, it was neough to get me over the hump. Pretty cool so far though.
That is exactly what I have read about it from a few reviews. They said the story was very complicated and the only way you could begin to follow it was if you had read the expanded universe fiction that has been released over the last several years.

Also that the whole advertising campaign has been a bit misleading. And you only get to play as the chief for 20% of the missions.

Still, they said it is fast, beautiful, and fun. Best mechanics yet. With awesome new weapons. Exotic locations. Superb sound. That is enough for me.

I think one of the things I appreciate most about the Halo games is the color palate and that there is always a slightly cartoony feel to the art direction. They don't quite try to go into the uncanny valley.

Now for confession time.....I still have not played Halo 4. So I have lots of work to do and the Royals aren't helping my cause. I plan to buy the remastered version and play that before I dip into 5. I only care about the campaign so it should not really take me all that long.
post #2114 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
This Cubs fan is wishing the Royals the very best in whooping the Mets
Cuzneddy cinema may be the greatest name on avs forum!

Nice build!

I just took a trip to your fair city a month ago for my 10 year anniversary. Had a great time. Museums and food. So much to do.
post #2115 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM

Oh it's definitely fast, beautiful, and fun so far. The sound I have already vouched for. Some of the landscapes are just unreal. No spoilers needed, but first mission you walk around a corner and there is this huge cannon that looks kinda like the rainbow bridge teleport from Thor firing lasers into deep space or something. Really cool. I'm definitely having fun so far with it. I too only care about the campaign so I will have this easily done by the time battlefront comes out.
stitch1 likes this.

post #2116 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
It was sounding pretty dang good while I was there. The parachute did sound like it came low moving up to the top and then filled out to the full room. But I get what you are saying about the others. Like anything in this hobby once you get it all dialed in it goes from good to excellent.
@jedimastergrant I would recommend you go check out Stoked's room before you start buying speakers (or paying anything extra) for Atmos. With his placement the imaging, separation, and blend with his mains was top notch. I think you will be surprised at his rear overheads placement. The worries you were having are all for not. Seriously go check it out!

I will pay your atmos the best complement I can at this point. I left thinking that was as cool as the demo clips and made me want to watch a movie in Atmos. I'm kinda a fence sitter with Atmos. Sure it's cool for demos but I've never seen the value in a home setting. Today has changed that. Well done @Stoked21 I am sure the more you play with the settings the better it will get.
Ok, ya got me. I will check it out asap.

I was already planning on taking a peek at some time but this has me really intrigued.
post #2117 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Thanks Tim, that's a massive complement coming from someone who is so experienced with HTs. It does intrigue me when I see people pushing $500-$1000 for each top speaker or focusing on $3-5K per speaker fronts. I've spent a total of $2400 for my 11 channels and can generate nearly as much SPL as any theater I've seen (qualitative not measured). I may not get the last several db and my bass is definitely weaker, but it's enough that it can hurt and be uncomfortable to listen to at it's limits. I really tout that CHEAP ICs can accomplish anything the more expensive ones do. I've seen people spend $4k on TF/TR alone and I've spent $400 and (biased) feel that I blow their's away due to scientific placement, trial and error and creativity. All while providing a pretty damn good 2 row sound field. It didn't come easy as I've had several redesigns/replacements to get there, but even with losses on selling unfit equipment, I've probably gone through no more than $6K on speakers/subs to achieve 11.2 including the JTR purchase.
post #2118 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Ok, ya got me. I will check it out asap.

I was already planning on taking a peek at some time but this has me really intrigued.
You're more than welcome to pop in. I work out of home office so daytime is normally even better for me. Nothing my wife hates more than being upstairs and not being able to hear herself think as I'm blasting away tests downstairs for hours. Warning, my HT is a MESS. Not pretty, like the initial pics due to all the changes I'm incorporating with new speakers, subs, rack amps/prepro, etc in the last 30 days. But functional and comfortable if you overlook the boxes and tool piles.

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build

Last edited by Stoked21; 10-28-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: correction
post #2119 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
Quote:
@Scott Simonian

Any input or clarification on this?
Huh? Sorry, was gone for a few weeks. What was the question?
post #2120 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Huh? Sorry, was gone for a few weeks. What was the question?
Post 1833

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2121 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're more than welcome to pop in. I work out of home office so daytime is normally even better for me. Nothing my wife hates more than being upstairs and not being able to hear herself think as I'm blasting away tests downstairs for hours. Warning, my HT is a MESS. Not pretty, like the initial pics due to all the changes I'm incorporating with new speakers, subs, rack amps/prepro, etc in the last 30 days. But functional and comfortable if you overlook the boxes and tool piles.

If you call that a mess then you are officially uninvited to my theater! I have so many different things going on down there my messes have messes.
post #2122 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Now for confession time.....I still have not played Halo 4. So I have lots of work to do and the Royals aren't helping my cause. I plan to buy the remastered version and play that before I dip into 5. I only care about the campaign so it should not really take me all that long.
I played 4 just last week. It didn't take much time at all. Word of warning the jump from normal to heroic difficulty is much bigger than any of the other Halo game. No Spoilers but theres some new blue guys that take forever to defeat on heroic. Once I dropped down to normal it was almost too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Oh it's definitely fast, beautiful, and fun so far. The sound I have already vouched for. Some of the landscapes are just unreal. No spoilers needed, but first mission you walk around a corner and there is this huge cannon that looks kinda like the rainbow bridge teleport from Thor firing lasers into deep space or something. Really cool. I'm definitely having fun so far with it. I too only care about the campaign so I will have this easily done by the time battlefront comes out.

That is all great news! I listened to the Hunt the Truth podcast and have read one of the books. I hope that's enough to enjoy the story but even if not it will just make me want to know more about the lure. I'm waiting to get an Xbox One till the Elite comes out. But once I get it I'll be getting the collection and 5 for sure.

The sound has always been one of my favorite features of Halo. Glad to hear this one is still excels with it.
post #2123 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

@wulfcomp and @bluesprings1

What internet service do you guys have?

I have Comcast and know that AT&T was used at my house previously --- are those about the only two options in Blue Springs for internet service? I see Time Warner services some areas of Blue Springs, but probably not mine since I'm using Comcast right now and I know those two companies traditionally don't overlap service areas...

Any mom and pop internet service shops you know of that are worth anything this way?

Comcast has been good to me, but they are raising my rate after the promo period -- double --- which of course expected - but I don't plan to pay that much. I'll either transfer to AT&T for their into service or lower my service level.

I pretty much try to take advantage of into pricing by flipping back and forth every year. A bit of a pain, but worth it financially.

Any recommendations?

post #2124 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@wulfcomp and @bluesprings1

What internet service do you guys have?

I have Comcast and know that AT&T was used at my house previously --- are those about the only two options in Blue Springs for internet service? I see Time Warner services some areas of Blue Springs, but probably not mine since I'm using Comcast right now and I know those two companies traditionally don't overlap service areas...

Any mom and pop internet service shops you know of that are worth anything this way?

Comcast has been good to me, but they are raising my rate after the promo period -- double --- which of course expected - but I don't plan to pay that much. I'll either transfer to AT&T for their into service or lower my service level.

I pretty much try to take advantage of into pricing by flipping back and forth every year. A bit of a pain, but worth it financially.

Any recommendations?
Whatever you do, go with someone that doesn't require a contract. I don't know when but probably inside of 6 months or so you will be able to get google. **** tons faster and a fraction of the price of anyone else. Actually everyone in KC gets internet for free. Literally $0 for life. It's not the 1Gbps speeds I think it's like 10mbps or something like that. Our fiber is all laid over the summer and they were suppose to install here in Lenexa Oct 19th but haven't done so yet. Any day now I'll get rid of TWC, get 10x internet speed and cut my bill by over $150/month.

Go to google fiber website and put in your address. They'll tell you a rough season of when you can expect service.
post #2125 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately --- at this time --- they apparently have no plan/timeframe for Blue Springs.

post #2126 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Royals are looking great tonight. Its fun to hear the announcers talking up their batting skills, and the whole KC lineups inability to be struck out. "Relentless" in the fifth inning!
post #2127 of 8160 Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Thankfully Gooden & Strawberry don't play for the Mets any more

And hopefully looking at a much shorter game tonight!
post #2128 of 8160 Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I went to every post season game last year. Only went to the ALDS this year. I'm not sure we are going to make it back to KC for me to see a WS game in 2015.

Odds and statistics are that we will win one game in NY. Odds are also that we will not lose 2 games (6 & 7) at home. I'm always a pessimist, but this is in the bag barring a major catastrophe. The Mets can go .600 and we still win.

Royals WILL be world champions in 2015. 30 years waiting!
post #2129 of 8160 Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
post #2130 of 8160 Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Quote:
I went to every post season game last year. Only went to the ALDS this year. I'm not sure we are going to make it back to KC for me to see a WS game in 2015.

Odds and statistics are that we will win one game in NY. Odds are also that we will not lose 2 games (6 & 7) at home. I'm always a pessimist, but this is in the bag barring a major catastrophe. The Mets can go .600 and we still win.

Royals WILL be world champions in 2015. 30 years waiting!

Obviously I hope you are right, but we were down 2-0 and 3-1 both to Toronto and St. Louis in 1985, and the Jays were down 2-0 in a best of 5 series against Houston this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page