Houston and surrounding area meet!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

post #91 of 439 Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I'm good with whatever time you decide.

Cool - no objections so far...
Quote:
SVS????

Yep! PB-2000 x2. Poor ML Depth sitting all alone and unplugged in the middle... frown.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 439 Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

I am in for sure and looking forward to it.

Great!
Quote:
I also am in for one each of the demo disks. How many are there? I can brings disk or go in on a spindle. Let me know what we decide to do.

Check the links in Superleo's posts - there are several of them, and you should definitely PM him if you haven't already, as they take time to burn... If you're in for 2-4 discs, I was planning to order a couple 10x short spindles for $3.50/disc before Wednesday. I think the count is 14 on those, so I've got room for you on that buy. Let me know how many total you decided on...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #93 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Here are the public available discs AFAIK:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/demonstration-blu-ray-discs-independently-authored

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Cool - no objections so far...
Yep! PB-2000 x2. Poor ML Depth sitting all alone and unplugged in the middle... frown.gif
You know, I was wondering about the stout little ML sub. Pardon me for saying so but it did look out of sorts with the scale and stature of your theater. I think you are in 3500 cu. ft? The PB-2000 dual have made a "positive" impact on you by now I'm sure. SVS is an excellent choice.

I thought about making a little road trip to see what looks like a very well designed venue. The "deliverables" have definitely been delivered. I have a brother who lives in Richmond and I have not yet seen his new flat but I have finals and now what looks like an unforeseen subwoofer project on tap for this coming weekend. I will be watching in the future for a chance to audition some of the best home theaters in the region. Very well done!wink.gif

"Frequency response is NOT efficiency response."

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

B&C 21SW152-4  [21" critical-Q]

post #95 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramskoi View Post

You know, I was wondering about the stout little ML sub. Pardon me for saying so but it did look out of sorts with the scale and stature of your theater. I think you are in 3500 cu. ft? The PB-2000 dual have made a "positive" impact on you by now I'm sure. SVS is an excellent choice.

It actually did a pretty good job, and yes, I'm right around 3500 cu. ft. My thought was to start with one, and add another if needed. But for the cost of another ML Depth, I could buy both of the PB-2000's, and have a sub to sell to help pay for them. The release of that new SVS product, the early reviews, cost, and their generous evaluation terms made me pull the upgrade trigger.

With just one PB-2000 connected so I could do a comparison, they performed fairly equally, with the SVS doing a better job on the absolute low end. But yeah, with two of them, the room shakes... I had to tighten down a few things afterwards.

Oh, and about "free trial " evaluation - I see now why that works really well for them. After hauling all that gear upstairs and into the room, I really, really wanted them to work for me!

post #96 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

If you're in for 2-4 discs, I was planning to order a couple 10x short spindles for $3.50/disc before Wednesday. I think the count is 14 on those, so I've got room for you on that buy. Let me know how many total you decided on...

Jeff

I am in for 4 discs. I sent superleo a pm. Let us know what we owe. Thanks for taking care of this and hosting the event!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #97 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Does anybody attending need any IB-1 clips or Green Glue tubes? I have 50-75 clips and 6-8 tubes of GG leftover from my build. I also have a speed loader if anybody wants it.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #98 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Any time is good for me. Just let me know when it is final. Maybe I can get my mother to watch my kids so my wife can attend, but we will see.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #99 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my confirmation - count me in for 2 discs (had only asked for 1 originally, I'm ok with only 1 if it is too late to burn a second).

Any preference for cash toward food/drinks or actually bringing food/drinks?
post #100 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green453 View Post

This is my confirmation - count me in for 2 discs (had only asked for 1 originally, I'm ok with only 1 if it is too late to burn a second).

Let Superleo know what demos you want as he's burning them. If you want in on the spindle buy at $3.50/disc, I've got room for your 2.
Quote:
Any preference for cash toward food/drinks or actually bringing food/drinks?

I should have plenty of drinks unless you have a specific favorite you'd like to bring. Food wise I'll have several hot d'vours, popcorn, chips, etc. so whatever fits in would be great. Some sweets and/or theater food might be good!

Jeff

post #101 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM

EDIT: Filled up two 10-packs, which I've ordered now...

On the BD-R spindle order ($3.50 per disc) here's what I've got:

3 jautor
4 speedoflight
2 gdefein
3 trek737
2 green453
1 jvoth
4 avtexan
1 corekneelius

Total 20

Spaceman and 7channelfreak have their own discs already.

Did I miss anyone?

post #102 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

On the BD-R spindle order ($3.50 per disc) here's what I've got:

3 jautor
4 speedoflight
2 gdefein
3 trek737
2 green453
1 jvoth
4 avtexan

Total 19

So one left if there's anyone else. Spaceman and 7channelfreak have their own discs already.

Did I miss anyone?

Is there room for one or two more? If yes, I'm interested in a disc!
post #103 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corekneelius View Post

Is there room for one or two more? If yes, I'm interested in a disc!

Room for one more 'til we hit 20... (two 10-pack pancake spindles)

post #104 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Room for one more 'til we hit 20... (two 10-pack pancake spindles)

Okay then put me down for one disc!

If it's alright it will be me +1, I will PM you for details.
post #105 of 439 Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corekneelius View Post

Okay then put me down for one disc!

If it's alright it will be me +1, I will PM you for details.

Done! And yes, +1 is welcome!

Jeff

post #106 of 439 Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok so I read through the thread and I don't fully understand what the disc is that everyone is getting copies of.
Is it just scenes from various movies on a single disc, to keep from switching discs to showcase your equipment?
Also I would like to attend the event for this weekend if any opening is still available.
I recently moved to Austin but will be back in Houston this weekend (15th-16th).
I'll be on Memorial/San Felipe to check up on some of the homes I did the Custom Cabinetry for.
Thanks for planning the event also, very cool to get all of us A/V guys together in ones top.
post #107 of 439 Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisamc View Post

Ok so I read through the thread and I don't fully understand what the disc is that everyone is getting copies of.
Is it just scenes from various movies on a single disc, to keep from switching discs to showcase your equipment?
Also I would like to attend the event for this weekend if any opening is still available.
I recently moved to Austin but will be back in Houston this weekend (15th-16th).
I'll be on Memorial/San Felipe to check up on some of the homes I did the Custom Cabinetry for.
Thanks for planning the event also, very cool to get all of us A/V guys together in ones top.

That's correct. It's a compilation of movie clips that help demo your system.

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/demonstration-blu-ray-discs-independently-authored
post #108 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Wow...sounds like the disc alone would be worth a little road trip!

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

post #109 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

A word a bout the discs -- These are available for FREE by downloading the files. Some of them are design to fit into a regular DVD-DL, thus no Blu-Ray burner necessary. Also, the newest version of VLC as well as XBMC now support full BD menus, so no Blu-Ray needed is played from your computer. In addition, the PS3 an the OPPO players can play these files from external devices.

The point being, it is not necessary to have a BD burner to be able to enjoy these. Granted they look awesome as disc, if yo go to the trouble of printing the label and putting them in to BD cases with their corresponding box covers.

Kramskoi, I'll have a copy for you at the meet.

Looking forward to Saturday.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #110 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM

I received the spindle(s) yesterday, so everyone on the list above is covered, and we hit 20 discs on the nose ($3.50/disc), so I've got no "spares"...

As no one spoke up that a later start time caused any problems, and for several folks it may allow them to attend - we'll move to a 5pm start time, and expect that some may not arrive until after 7pm or later. I have no problem with this going as late as we want... I'll PM everyone today with contact info.

See y'all on Saturday!

Jeff

post #111 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank Jeff (and please pass it along to you wife -- many thanks too her specially) for hosting.

See you all Saturday!!! biggrin.gif

post #112 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

That's correct. It's a compilation of movie clips that help demo your system.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to make a copy and print out the material to make it official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

^^^

A word a bout the discs -- These are available for FREE by downloading the files. Some of them are design to fit into a regular DVD-DL, thus no Blu-Ray burner necessary. Also, the newest version of VLC as well as XBMC now support full BD menus, so no Blu-Ray needed is played from your computer. In addition, the PS3 an the OPPO players can play these files from external devices.

The point being, it is not necessary to have a BD burner to be able to enjoy these. Granted they look awesome as disc, if yo go to the trouble of printing the label and putting them in to BD cases with their corresponding box covers.

Kramskoi, I'll have a copy for you at the meet.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Thanks for the tips on the demo disc, I'll be making a copy soon.

Quote:

I received the spindle(s) yesterday, so everyone on the list above is covered, and we hit 20 discs on the nose ($3.50/disc), so I've got no "spares"...

As no one spoke up that a later start time caused any problems, and for several folks it may allow them to attend - we'll move to a 5pm start time, and expect that some may not arrive until after 7pm or later. I have no problem with this going as late as we want... I'll PM everyone today with contact info.

See y'all on Saturday!

Jeff

Since we've never talked I'll call you jautor, what do you think of your subs?
My setup is growing but is lacking the sub/s for now, but we are building a home so I'll be waiting for that.
Just moved to Austin from Houston into an apartment and can't even turn up my CM9's without the upstairs neighbors asking "can you turn down your sub?".
I just nod and tell them I don't have a sub and then go and pull them further out from the wall.
I know the demo disc isn't available but I would still like to come by a pick the brain of you upper tier members, amp, sub and projector recommendations.
Thanks
post #113 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Since we've never talked I'll call you jautor, what do you think of your subs?

They need some adjusting biggrin.gif

Clearly a significant improvement in the ultra-low-freq, but first impression is the ML is a "more musical" sub by itself. But this being a theater application, the tradeoff is correct.

I hopefully will have some time before y'all show up to better adjust them, as I wasn't really intending the party to turn into a subwoofer calibration session... And I'm sure the wives didn't buy into that for the evening!!! biggrin.gif
Quote:
My setup is growing but is lacking the sub/s for now, but we are building a home so I'll be waiting for that.

I know a guy that has a nice ML sub for sale! wink.gif
Quote:
I know the demo disc isn't available but I would still like to come by a pick the brain of you upper tier members, amp, sub and projector recommendations.

Well, I don't have any blank discs for you to trade with Superleo, but if you PM him and he's willing to burn yet another disc, you can just pick up a single blank and bring it to exchange. He may not have time at this point, though.

Jeff

post #114 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Clearly a significant improvement in the ultra-low-freq, but first impression is the ML is a "more musical" sub by itself. But this being a theater application, the tradeoff is correct.

I hopefully will have some time before y'all show up to better adjust them, as I wasn't really intending the party to turn into a subwoofer calibration session... And I'm sure the wives didn't buy into that for the evening!!! biggrin.gif
Well, I don't have any blank discs for you to trade with Superleo, but if you PM him and he's willing to burn yet another disc, you can just pick up a single blank and bring it to exchange. He may not have time at this point, though.

Jeff
I think Superleo mentioned that he would have a disc for me but, sadly, I won't be able to attend.frown.gif I have amp, mic and driver in the forecast, and Saturday is the highest chance of "precip"...with a signature required for one item. In the future I would love to get out there and hear those PB-2000's. I have never really experienced any vented subs beyond the Klipsch iFi 8" sub/satellite system I bought in 2005...that is until I developed a marked proclivity to build sealed subwoofers. I don't think any clubs exist in Louisiana, like many other things I guess. Houston is about a 3 - 3.5 drive for me so it is totally doable for a meet. Good luck with everything this weekend!

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

post #115 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

Thanks for letting us (me) know. That is just fine since I still have some discs to burn tonight, I'll save yours for some other time.
Hope all goes well.

post #116 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

^^^

Thanks for letting us (me) know. That is just fine since I still have some discs to burn tonight, I'll save yours for some other time.
Hope all goes well.
Thanks my friend and I appreciate the gesture...and on another note, that "Doll House" looks pretty cozy. I knew a fella once that had one, only a bit smaller. Cute, quaint, picturesque...Won't take much sub to get it buzzing I guess. Pressure-vessel should be quite high.wink.gif

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

post #117 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Jeff

The demo disc is the best option but I have a decent Blu Ray collection, if you want me to bring some films.
Spiderman/Thor/Batman/Avatar/Cars/Iron Man/Matrix/Mission Impossble4/Planet Earth/Skyfall/IMAX Hubble/Star Trek/Pacific Rim/WallE/UP...etc
You probably have most of these having a theater room but thought I'd offer anyway.
post #118 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

The demo disc is the best option but I have a decent Blu Ray collection, if you want me to bring some films.
Spiderman/Thor/Batman/Avatar/Cars/Iron Man/Matrix/Mission Impossble4/Planet Earth/Skyfall/IMAX Hubble/Star Trek/Pacific Rim/WallE/UP...etc
You probably have most of these having a theater room but thought I'd offer anyway.

Thanks, but I've got ... um... I think all of those covered... biggrin.gif

post #119 of 439 Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but I've got ... um... I think all of those covered... biggrin.gif

Haha, I kind of figured but thought I'd ask.
post #120 of 439 Old 02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Taking off in an hour or so.. see you all sometime Saturday.
Should be FUN!!! (I have my black socks ready tongue.gif)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page