NC/SC General HT Chat Area and G2G Planning - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 789 Old 06-29-2016, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Welcome to @ereed from the Queen City!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 789 Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Thanks BeastAudio! Didn't realized so many NC people on these forums. Nice!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #543 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
fatsow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Just put a bunch of JTR gear up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Also, a couple of SVS PB13 ultras.
fatsow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
Just put a bunch of JTR gear up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Also, a couple of SVS PB13 ultras.
What part of NC and what are you upgrading to?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #545 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
fatsow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Pinehurst, not upgrading to anything. Just have too much stuff, and since this is in the living room I need to downsize a little. I am keeping a pair of Quested LT-10s for fronts.
fatsow is offline  
post #546 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,584
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
What part of NC and what are you upgrading to?
I don't know what you'd be able to upgrade to, those are some seriously great speakers with performance that most speakers don't realize is even possible. And I'm mainly referring to the 212HTR and 215RMs, I wasn't as much a fan of the 215RT but that was mainly due to the size and that I'd be using subwoofers anyway so no need for the full range capability of the RTs. But for those that also want to run 2-channel, I could see the full-range 215RTs as worthwhile.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
dgage is online now  
post #547 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,726
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I don't know what you'd be able to upgrade to, those are some seriously great speakers with performance that most speakers don't realize is even possible. And I'm mainly referring to the 212HTR and 215RMs, I wasn't as much a fan of the 215RT but that was mainly due to the size and that I'd be using subwoofers anyway so no need for the full range capability of the RTs. But for those that also want to run 2-channel, I could see the full-range 215RTs as worthwhile.


What subs are you running?


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
ambesolman is offline  
post #548 of 789 Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
fatsow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 69
dgage, you are right, the 215s are special for 2 channel music. I think this has a lot to do with how well someone can integrate their subs. I have omnimic and dsp, and can only get it right occasionally.

As for subs, I think i will DIY a pair or look for some used submersives.
fatsow is offline  
post #549 of 789 Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Hey guys, I threw my SVS PB-1000 on sale on the classifieds. Good price! shoot me a PM if interested.

Anthem/Theta Digital/Aerial Acoustics/Linn/Paradigm/Sony ES 4K HDR FPJ/
kevinlg is offline  
post #550 of 789 Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Who in here lives in Charlotte???

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #551 of 789 Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Who in here lives in Charlotte???
Yep!
TMcG is offline  
post #552 of 789 Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Who in here lives in Charlotte???
Check the second post for a list of folks and their locations
ereed likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #553 of 789 Old 08-01-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Yep!
I'm in Ballantyne which is in South Charlotte. Was just looking at your build thread. How much longer before its done?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #554 of 789 Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I'm in Ballantyne which is in South Charlotte. Was just looking at your build thread. How much longer before its done?
Very familiar with Ballantyne as I used to live in corporate housing off Johnston Road when I first moved to the area.

Considering I don't have a 'theater emergency', I have no fixed deadline but will say that I'd like to get it finished as soon as possible. 4K projectors are within reach, Atmos and DTS-X processing and speaker layouts are a reality and I have just about all the aesthetic decisions (and suppliers) ready to go. I'd like to have the room shelled out in the next 4-6 weeks, given all the 'time suck' happening with the new baby.

Are you volunteering your slave labor to help hang the 12' long pieces of 5/8" drywall? I believe @24Changer and @Robert Jones II are already rooked...er...I mean been volunteered....uh....I mean offered to help whenever that weekend comes along!! I pay in pizza, burgers and/or the beverages of your choice (or whatever's in the fridge at the time)
TMcG is offline  
post #555 of 789 Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Very familiar with Ballantyne as I used to live in corporate housing off Johnston Road when I first moved to the area.

Considering I don't have a 'theater emergency', I have no fixed deadline but will say that I'd like to get it finished as soon as possible. 4K projectors are within reach, Atmos and DTS-X processing and speaker layouts are a reality and I have just about all the aesthetic decisions (and suppliers) ready to go. I'd like to have the room shelled out in the next 4-6 weeks, given all the 'time suck' happening with the new baby.

Are you volunteering your slave labor to help hang the 12' long pieces of 5/8" drywall? I believe @24Changer and @Robert Jones II are already rooked...er...I mean been volunteered....uh....I mean offered to help whenever that weekend comes along!! I pay in pizza, burgers and/or the beverages of your choice (or whatever's in the fridge at the time)
Would love to help. Let me know the date you need help. I know Robert Jones, he lives 10 minutes from me in Fort Mill, SC. Wish I had a dedicated space like you. My HT is my living room which sounds pretty nice. Just need to get some wall/room treatments and I should be set. I'm itching for a projector for movies only and keep the 60 inch plasma for daytime/tv viewing, not gonna do atmos and 4K yet....cause I would have to upgrade EVERYTHING all again. haha

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #556 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
I wanted to join the group! Relatively new to Home Theater, with my first installation completed a couple of months ago (gear in my signature).

I'm in Mooresville; would be interested in g2g's, seeing other systems in action, etc.

@beastaudio please add me to the list.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #557 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I wanted to join the group! Relatively new to Home Theater, with my first installation completed a couple of months ago (gear in my signature).

I'm in Mooresville; would be interested in g2g's, seeing other systems in action, etc.

@beastaudio please add me to the list.

Don
Added! Welcome to the squad It's approaching discussion time of another g2g. I think we need something around here as this thread is DEAD. I game to demo my space anytime you fancy a drive up the mountain tho!

EDIT: Did you buy Marty's (16hz lover) old subwoofer? It sounds like it's one and the same.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #558 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Added! Welcome to the squad It's approaching discussion time of another g2g. I think we need something around here as this thread is DEAD. I game to demo my space anytime you fancy a drive up the mountain tho!

EDIT: Did you buy Marty's (16hz lover) old subwoofer? It sounds like it's one and the same.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes indeed - Marty's wonderful creation. Interesting story how I found it:

I'd been researching like crazy on various forums here, and was bewildered by the huge variety in subwoofer options (not to mention costs!). Just for kicks, I did a Craigs List search, and came across Marty's listing. I got in touch with him, and discovered he was a fellow AVS-er. Totally unexpected to find something like this locally!

He pointed me to his thread where he documented his building the sub, had him demo it for me, and I ended up buying it.

What a beast it is! I had to pay a mover to get it here - all 450 or so pounds of it! Met Marty and his son Nick, who are really nice guys, and very helpful.

Appreciate the invitation - we often head in the Asheville direction in the fall so will keep this in mind if we do that this year. And you're welcome to check out my system if you're ever in the Charlotte area (I'm about 25 miles north).

Hope some local g2g's can be arranged. Would be very interested in seeing/hearing other systems.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #559 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Just wanted to update that I finally added a projector in my living room! Its an living room/theater all in one. I have moved my plasma upstairs for normal tv watching. Here are few pics showing before with 60 inch plasma and now with 120 inch screen!

And welcome @DLCPhoto to the local NC/SC thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_201223 (1).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1661137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160908_000554.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1661145   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160908_084414.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1661153  

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #560 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Just wanted to update that I finally added a projector in my living room! Its an living room/theater all in one. I have moved my plasma upstairs for normal tv watching. Here are few pics showing before with 60 inch plasma and now with 120 inch screen!

And welcome @DLCPhoto to the local NC/SC thread!
Thanks for the welcome, and nice system you have there. Mine has been a compromise as well ("semi-dedicated") in that there are limits in how far I could go with room treatment (no bat-cave for me!).

Having a blast with mine, as I'm sure you are as well.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #561 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and nice system you have there. Mine has been a compromise as well ("semi-dedicated") in that there are limits in how far I could go with room treatment (no bat-cave for me!).

Having a blast with mine, as I'm sure you are as well.

Don
Yes, what a difference size really makes to enjoy the movie and its my first projector ever! As far as treatments go I've only did thick curtains at windows and thick rug at sofa side. Since I am about 2-3 feet from rear wall I plan on going with GIK acoustic panels above the couch to look like one big piece of solid color artwork. LOL Wife is ok with it since she now has all her time with the plasma upstairs while I can do what I want as long as it looks like living room and not media room when the video isn't playing.
DLCPhoto likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #562 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Yes, what a difference size really makes to enjoy the movie and its my first projector ever! As far as treatments go I've only did thick curtains at windows and thick rug at sofa side. Since I am about 2-3 feet from rear wall I plan on going with GIK acoustic panels above the couch to look like one big piece of solid color artwork. LOL Wife is ok with it since she now has all her time with the plasma upstairs while I can do what I want as long as it looks like living room and not media room when the video isn't playing.
Very creative solution; keeping everybody happy is key!

My first projector as well, and with what seems to me a 'kick-a$$' sound system, I am blown away. Better than anything I've experienced in a regular, commercial movie theater!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #563 of 789 Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
I find mine to be better than local theaters as well. Just like the comfort of my own home and being able to pause when needed. Only downside is to wait few months for it to come out on blurays but I can live with that. Would love to check out your theater sometime. Got pics of it? I'm located in Ballantyne in South Charlotte. Used to live in Cornelius on the lake before I moved down here so I'm familiar with Mooresville area.

Seeing your signature.....How did your wife let you get 4 18 inch subs in the living room??? I'm trying to talk her into getting dual subs and move my current sub upstairs. She thinks 1 sub is enough bass.....but they just never understand. LOL

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #564 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I find mine to be better than local theaters as well. Just like the comfort of my own home and being able to pause when needed. Only downside is to wait few months for it to come out on blurays but I can live with that. Would love to check out your theater sometime. Got pics of it? I'm located in Ballantyne in South Charlotte. Used to live in Cornelius on the lake before I moved down here so I'm familiar with Mooresville area.

Seeing your signature.....How did your wife let you get 4 18 inch subs in the living room??? I'm trying to talk her into getting dual subs and move my current sub upstairs. She thinks 1 sub is enough bass.....but they just never understand. LOL
Regarding the sub: it's actually a single sub, 8' long, 25" high, 25" deep, which contains the 4 18" SI Drivers. Ironically, when I was researching here what sub(s) to get, just for kicks I did a Craigs List search, and came across this sub. Turns out, this was a DIY sub, built be an AVS'er, who documented the build here, and who lived in Denver (NC).

So it's basically a large piece of furniture, and sits under my screen, a bit to the left. I ended up getting black velvet to cover the nicely finished wood top, to optimize viewing. This is a large room (20'x32') with Vaulted Ceilings, and so has room and can take advantage of a sub that size. I would say that my wife 'tolerates' its output, but just barely. It really shakes the house!

I've attached a photo which shows the setup (with the rear Dolby's at the back of the room not shown in this photo). The white popcorn ceiling is obviously not ideal for a home theater, but at least it's pretty far away from the screen. Painting it black, or covering it with Black Velvet is not in the cards!

You are more than welcome to come up here and check it out anytime you are free. I'm semi-retired, with not a lot else going on, so can likely accommodate your schedule. We're having some painting and flooring done now, but that should be finished in a week or two, so any time after that would be great.

I'll pm you my address, contact info.

Looking forward to it!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PostShot04.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	1662049  

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #565 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Regarding the sub: it's actually a single sub, 8' long, 25" high, 25" deep, which contains the 4 18" SI Drivers. Ironically, when I was researching here what sub(s) to get, just for kicks I did a Craigs List search, and came across this sub. Turns out, this was a DIY sub, built be an AVS'er, who documented the build here, and who lived in Denver (NC).

So it's basically a large piece of furniture, and sits under my screen, a bit to the left. I ended up getting black velvet to cover the nicely finished wood top, to optimize viewing. This is a large room (20'x32') with Vaulted Ceilings, and so has room and can take advantage of a sub that size. I would say that my wife 'tolerates' its output, but just barely. It really shakes the house!

I've attached a photo which shows the setup (with the rear Dolby's at the back of the room not shown in this photo). The white popcorn ceiling is obviously not ideal for a home theater, but at least it's pretty far away from the screen. Painting it black, or covering it with Black Velvet is not in the cards!

You are more than welcome to come up here and check it out anytime you are free. I'm semi-retired, with not a lot else going on, so can likely accommodate your schedule. We're having some painting and flooring done now, but that should be finished in a week or two, so any time after that would be great.

I'll pm you my address, contact info.

Looking forward to it!

Don
That's a very cozy setup you have there DLC! What kind of mains are those? They are pretty large!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #566 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
That's a very cozy setup you have there DLC! What kind of mains are those? They are pretty large!
Thanks!

They are Duntech Sovereigns. Made in Australia. I bought them when we added this room on to our house, 26 years ago, and after I found that they were imported into this area through Warren Weingrad of Charlotte, NC! I got to know him, and got a decent deal on them. Excellent speakers to be sure.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #567 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Regarding the sub: it's actually a single sub, 8' long, 25" high, 25" deep, which contains the 4 18" SI Drivers. Ironically, when I was researching here what sub(s) to get, just for kicks I did a Craigs List search, and came across this sub. Turns out, this was a DIY sub, built be an AVS'er, who documented the build here, and who lived in Denver (NC).

So it's basically a large piece of furniture, and sits under my screen, a bit to the left. I ended up getting black velvet to cover the nicely finished wood top, to optimize viewing. This is a large room (20'x32') with Vaulted Ceilings, and so has room and can take advantage of a sub that size. I would say that my wife 'tolerates' its output, but just barely. It really shakes the house!

I've attached a photo which shows the setup (with the rear Dolby's at the back of the room not shown in this photo). The white popcorn ceiling is obviously not ideal for a home theater, but at least it's pretty far away from the screen. Painting it black, or covering it with Black Velvet is not in the cards!

You are more than welcome to come up here and check it out anytime you are free. I'm semi-retired, with not a lot else going on, so can likely accommodate your schedule. We're having some painting and flooring done now, but that should be finished in a week or two, so any time after that would be great.

I'll pm you my address, contact info.

Looking forward to it!

Don
Love the room! Yeah don't paint it black, that room has character! The only thing I would do so it improves contrast and pass the WAF and still have a nice looking room is just install a black velvet that covers that screen wall up to the corner. So the whole wall looks like one large black triangle and can be easily removed anytime you sell or move. I think whole front wall in black would look nicer and bring out the pop in other wood at other places.

As far as room acoustics go you can do ceiling panels if wife lets you or just keep it simple and do wall panels with your birds on it. Or just alpha diffusers from GIK which can be wood and color matched to your decor. I see you're a photographer and like taking pics of animals. I would contact GIK acoustics and show them your room and have panels made with your artwork you can provide to them. Would take place of your other birds on the wall....same pic and location but with sound absorber built in to tame the high/mid frequencies. Either way, love how you have a media room without looking like a dedicated room. Love it! Would like to take a look sometime. I got your PM by the way and I should be free in few weeks.

I don't see the subs! And I don't call 4 drivers in ONE box one sub...still 4 to me. HA!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #568 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Love the room! Yeah don't paint it black, that room has character! The only thing I would do so it improves contrast and pass the WAF and still have a nice looking room is just install a black velvet that covers that screen wall up to the corner. So the whole wall looks like one large black triangle and can be easily removed anytime you sell or move. I think whole front wall in black would look nicer and bring out the pop in other wood at other places.

As far as room acoustics go you can do ceiling panels if wife lets you or just keep it simple and do wall panels with your birds on it. Or just alpha diffusers from GIK which can be wood and color matched to your decor. I see you're a photographer and like taking pics of animals. I would contact GIK acoustics and show them your room and have panels made with your artwork you can provide to them. Would take place of your other birds on the wall....same pic and location but with sound absorber built in to tame the high/mid frequencies. Either way, love how you have a media room without looking like a dedicated room. Love it! Would like to take a look sometime. I got your PM by the way and I should be free in few weeks.

I don't see the subs! And I don't call 4 drivers in ONE box one sub...still 4 to me. HA!
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how things turned out; gives this room a whole new function which is great.

Yeah, I've thought about covering that whole front wall in Black Velvet, and agree it would really help. But I think I've pushed about as much as I can for the time being, so will have to put that on the back burner until things settle down a little.

Intriguing idea about using my photos with the acoustic panels. That will also have to wait a little, but sounds like an excellent way to satisfy both form and function!

Will definitely be in touch to have you up here. This extends to anybody else in the general Charlotte area who would like to visit.

Don
ereed likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #569 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
And I don't call 4 drivers in ONE box one sub...still 4 to me. HA!
It doesn't matter what it is to you, it matters what it is to your wife, lol!! It's a perfect argument,
"Honey, I thought one sub was enough"
"What? You only see one box, therefore it's only one sub my love....." with 8 dual opposed 18's in it!
DLCPhoto and ereed like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
post #570 of 789 Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Quickett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Beast, can you add me to the list. I just moved down here to Blythewood. Won't be building a dedicated space since this home is temporary, but will hopefully get my projector up and the speakers setup in the next couple of weeks.
Quickett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off