NC/SC General HT Chat Area and G2G Planning - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #721 of 793 Old 02-17-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Generally you want to put bass traps in all corners of room if you can and put absorber or diffuser at your first reflection points using the mirror trick (Or I can show you that when I come visit since it takes 2 people to do it). Those are the basics....then if you decide you want to keep improving further there are other options as well. But start with the basics.

The panels you bought....what kind are they? While 2 inch is ok for mid/high freq control, its the thicker ones (4 inches and thicker) that will absorb lower. And you pretty much can't really overdo controlling low freq. So you really want to absorb as much low freq as you can.

The panels are ATS brand. Does GIK make a good bass trap you would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 793 Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhorse73 View Post
The panels are ATS brand. Does GIK make a good bass trap you would recommend?

I have heard ATS is as good just like GIK. I'm only familiar with GIK since I have only used that brand. They have various types of bass traps depending on your application. Best part about GIK is they also offer FREE advice if you show and email them pics of your room and everything and they guide you what you really need in your room. They even have an interior decorator that works for them to help you with colors of the traps and panels if you have high WAF to take into account.

As far as me helping you what you need, I would need to see your room showing the walls/corners front and rear of the room itself. Hard to tell by just showing the front wall only in your previous picture. Also what size is your room, is it sealed/open, etc. Other than carpet I see do you have curtains/glass or windows in the room?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #723 of 793 Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Are you sending in for the CMD fix or what?
No. After about a year of owning the RS400, I found that the Aperture no longer seemed to be working. I would press the button on the remote to bring up the control, and when I made adjustments, the onscreen display showed it varying from 0 to -15, and all steps inbetween. Unfortunately, though, the aperture itself never changed. It was wide open, and stayed that way.

Because I have a large (160" diagonal scope screen), 18' throw, and a non-batcave room, I find that I need it wide open anyway, so it hasn't really been a problem. But at some point, I'm going to want to sell it to upgrade, and want it to be functioning normally. Warranty runs out in several months, so decided to just get it done.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that! Looks like you will have to go to your tv for the time being!
Well, I did time it so that I sent it out right before heading out of town for 10 days. So hopefully my down time will be minimal.

I think we've discussed it before, but I replaced an ailing 65" Panasonic VT50 Plasma about 6 months ago, with a 75" Sony 900E series FALD TV. The 4k/HDR experience on this set is really spectacular. It's no match for the immersion of the theater room, but is still quite enjoyable to watch!
ereed likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 793 Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 AM

@ereed PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #725 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5621 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
Quote:
So you are close to the Biltmore mansion?
It's called the Biltmore House, not mansion And yes, one of the very few vantage points in town where you can actually see the house (Which is intentionally tucked down in a small valley on all but one side to prevent it from being seen), is right off my back deck...

Quote:
I have heard ATS is as good just like GIK. I'm only familiar with GIK since I have only used that brand. They have various types of bass traps depending on your application. Best part about GIK is they also offer FREE advice if you show and email them pics of your room and everything and they guide you what you really need in your room. They even have an interior decorator that works for them to help you with colors of the traps and panels if you have high WAF to take into account.

As far as me helping you what you need, I would need to see your room showing the walls/corners front and rear of the room itself. Hard to tell by just showing the front wall only in your previous picture. Also what size is your room, is it sealed/open, etc. Other than carpet I see do you have curtains/glass or windows in the room?
Lemme know if any more panels are needed after your assessment. I have stacked up quite a few extra 24x48x2 ATS panels (black) that I no longer need after reworking my front wall treatment. I also have three GIK tritrap corner bass traps that don't really accomplish anything for my room. If CH, you want to make the trip up the hill, I would make it definitely worth your while...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #726 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
It's called the Biltmore House, not mansion And yes, one of the very few vantage points in town where you can actually see the house (Which is intentionally tucked down in a small valley on all but one side to prevent it from being seen), is right off my back deck...

Lemme know if any more panels are needed after your assessment. I have stacked up quite a few extra 24x48x2 ATS panels (black) that I no longer need after reworking my front wall treatment. I also have three GIK tritrap corner bass traps that don't really accomplish anything for my room. If CH, you want to make the trip up the hill, I would make it definitely worth your while...

@beastaudio my wife would never turn up her nose at a trip to Ashville. I can tell you from what Eric has already said that I’ll surely be in the market after Saturday when he visits. I currently have 3 of the same black 2” ATS panels and probably need more and definitely will want those bass traps. Let’s make a deal, but it has to include an audition of your system

post #727 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@beastaudio my wife would never turn up her nose at a trip to Ashville. I can tell you from what Eric has already said that I’ll surely be in the market after Saturday when he visits. I currently have 3 of the same black 2” ATS panels and probably need more and definitely will want those bass traps. Let’s make a deal, but it has to include an audition of your system

Sounds good to me. Let me know after this weekend how many you are thinking. I believe I have 4-5 not in use, plus the bass traps which I have a total of three, but only have two not in use.
Copperhorse73 likes this.

post #728 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Quote:
Let’s make a deal, but it has to include an audition of your system
I hope you have a lot of disposable income or at least some. Brandon has a bad habit of infecting others with his home theater addiction. But it is oh so worth it.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #729 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I hope you have a lot of disposable income or at least some. Brandon has a bad habit of infecting others with his home theater addiction. But it is oh so worth it.

Fortunately I’m all set on gear for a while, other than room treatments. I recently moved and the buyers of my old house bought all of my Speakers and subs so I have a very recent upgrade under my belt to hold me over for a while. I know what you mean though. I’ve been waiting on the new Chane L series to come out and in a few months when they are in stock I will be fighting with myself for sure

post #730 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Let me know after this weekend how many you are thinking. I believe I have 4-5 not in use, plus the bass traps which I have a total of three, but only have two not in use.
My wife and I are planning on visiting the Biltmore House this spring so it would be nice to check out your system while I'm up there.

I will be visiting @Copperhorse73 house this coming Saturday to demo his system and show him how to find the first reflection points, etc. He has 3 of the same ats panels you have but will need more for sure! He wants to tame the brightness so your 2inch ATS panels would be perfect for him. I'm sure he will need bass traps in corners eventually depending on where he goes after fixing first reflection points at least.

I did finish my bass trap panels on my side wall but I think I may benefit from Tri traps as well in front corner to fix the 60hz that is ringing out. Currently I have side walls and rear walls treated, front wall and ceiling is next. What color are your GIK tri traps?

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #731 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Isn't that the plan? LOL

post #732 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My wife and I are planning on visiting the Biltmore House this spring so it would be nice to check out your system while I'm up there.

I will be visiting @Copperhorse73 house this coming Saturday to demo his system and show him how to find the first reflection points, etc. He has 3 of the same ats panels you have but will need more for sure! He wants to tame the brightness so your 2inch ATS panels would be perfect for him. I'm sure he will need bass traps in corners eventually depending on where he goes after fixing first reflection points at least.

I did finish my bass trap panels on my side wall but I think I may benefit from Tri traps as well in front corner to fix the 60hz that is ringing out. Currently I have side walls and rear walls treated, front wall and ceiling is next. What color are your GIK tri traps?
They are the standard black burlappy looking material, beveled edge, which I think is also standard, and closed back on some, open back on others.

post #733 of 793 Old 02-20-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are the standard black burlappy looking material, beveled edge, which I think is also standard, and closed back on some, open back on others.
The standard is just black fabric tri corner traps. I wasn't aware they made them both ways, I always assumed the back was open to where they staple the fabric like the 244 and other flat panels since you can't see the back side once its installed. The other corner traps that GIK makes are the Alpha corner tri traps which is diffusion built into the trap.

Also I just started learning to use REW again after my previous laptop died a year ago and having to redo the graphs again (assuming I'm doing them properly...LOL)

post #734 of 793 Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The standard is just black fabric tri corner traps. I wasn't aware they made them both ways, I always assumed the back was open to where they staple the fabric like the 244 and other flat panels since you can't see the back side once its installed. The other corner traps that GIK makes are the Alpha corner tri traps which is diffusion built into the trap.

Also I just started learning to use REW again after my previous laptop died a year ago and having to redo the graphs again (assuming I'm doing them properly...LOL)
My fault, I was describing the ATS panels, not the GIK tri traps. The GIKS are the standard black, with black caps. 4 ft. tall, and do not have the scatter plate in them.

post #735 of 793 Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My fault, I was describing the ATS panels, not the GIK tri traps. The GIKS are the standard black, with black caps. 4 ft. tall, and do not have the scatter plate in them.
That is what I assumed....glad you cleared it up.

post #736 of 793 Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is what I assumed....glad you cleared it up.
I see you found the nearfield bass thread... Im enjoying sitting back for the most part on that one As I tend to do much more of nowadays...
ereed likes this.

post #737 of 793 Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM

@beastaudio , I’ll take whatever u are willing to sell. @ereed helped me today and I have some homework now

post #738 of 793 Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Visit @Copperhorse73 theater today. Very nice guy and he and his dog welcomed me into their home. This was the first time I'd seen DIY 1099s in person and geez they are HUGE and loud....and I thought my speakers were huge (Klipsch RP280) til I saw these! LOL

After showing him how to find first reflection points he is going to start treating his room to further improve his theater. Looks like he is planning on buying your ATS panels (which are same ones he currently has but not installed yet) and GIK corner tri traps @beastaudio .

Not to mention he was nice that he let me borrowed few of his blurays that I haven't seen and he took few of mine I brought for demo that he hasn't seen. This was fun!
TMcG likes this.

post #739 of 793 Old 02-25-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Visit @Copperhorse73 theater today. Very nice guy and he and his dog welcomed me into their home. This was the first time I'd seen DIY 1099s in person and geez they are HUGE and loud....and I thought my speakers were huge (Klipsch RP280) til I saw these! LOL

After showing him how to find first reflection points he is going to start treating his room to further improve his theater. Looks like he is planning on buying your ATS panels (which are same ones he currently has but not installed yet) and GIK corner tri traps @beastaudio .

Not to mention he was nice that he let me borrowed few of his blurays that I haven't seen and he took few of mine I brought for demo that he hasn't seen. This was fun!

@ereed thanks so much for the help. Your visit was fun and informative. Time to start getting the best out of my system.

post #740 of 793 Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@beastaudio , I’ll take whatever u are willing to sell. @ereed helped me today and I have some homework now

Good news on the meetup! Let me get you my current "Inventory" list when I get home this evening I know for sure we are good on the two bass traps, maybe even three... I can't remember if I actually have four but that might actually be the case. I have ZERO clue how many of the ATS panels I have but I'll let know as soon as I can.
Copperhorse73 likes this.

post #741 of 793 Old 03-11-2018, 04:57 AM

Thanks to @beastaudio for hooking me up with some needed room treatments and for a great time with a system demo. It’s people like this (and @ereed ) that are willing to give their time and knowledge , that make this such a cool hobby.

ereed and beastaudio like this.
post #742 of 793 Old 03-13-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
Anyone here need a couple of DIY Soundgroup 4 cubic foot sealed subwoofer flatpacks? These are the ones made for the 18" drivers. I have two extras completely brand new with the Nylon strapping still around the packaging. Let me know!
post #743 of 793 Old 04-08-2018, 04:53 AM

Made a trip to visit @ereed yesterday. Special thanks to his wife as well for being so accommodating. Eric has no dedicated space for his theater, so was forced to make one in the living room. I’m shocked at the quality he has achieved through the use of sound panels and black velvet. Yet he has managed to keep the room looking suitable as a general living space. Having now visited a few different folks in the area, it’s been very cool to see how we all have different spaces, different goals, different budgets etc, but we all share a common thing: our wives either secretly or very openly (mine) think we are crazy.

DLCPhoto and ereed like this.
post #744 of 793 Old 04-08-2018, 05:03 AM

Oh,and I just realized I never posted about my previous visit to @DLCPhoto . Don has a quite impressive addition on his house that I could happily just live in. And that box of subs up front , on a suspended floor, oh so nice. Plus, most impressive screen I’ve seen yet.

DLCPhoto, ereed and beastaudio like this.
post #745 of 793 Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Oh,and I just realized I never posted about my previous visit to @DLCPhoto . Don has a quite impressive addition on his house that I could happily just live in. And that box of subs up front , on a suspended floor, oh so nice. Plus, most impressive screen I’ve seen yet.

It was a pleasure having you over, and getting to know you a little.

Rather than sampling different movies or music, we ended up watching the entire Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (UHD)! It's one of my favorites. You're more than welcome to head back over to watch the first (with your wife if she's interested!), or to sample some other sounds or clips of interest to you.
beastaudio likes this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #746 of 793 Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Made a trip to @ereed house today. Super nice guy and he has an amazing setup. He gave me a lot of helpful tips to improve my sound in my setup as well. Learned a lot about the GIK panels and placement for subs. Big thanks to him. Once i finish my setup anyone is more than welcome to come listen as well. I am in charlotte.
DLCPhoto and ereed like this.
post #747 of 793 Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1878
I think @ereed is scared to come by my house as I might put him to work hanging drywall!
post #748 of 793 Old 05-03-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I think @ereed is scared to come by my house as I might put him to work hanging drywall!
Am I that easy to read?

Just let me know when you are free and I'll come by and you can put me to work!
TMcG likes this.

post #749 of 793 Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Please add me to this group.

I'm in Raleigh.

Receiver - Denon AVRX6400H configured in 7.2.4
Mains: GoldenEar Triton Two / Center: GoldenEar Super Center XL / Surrounds: GoldenEar SuperSat 3 X 4 (surround L/R & BL/BR) / In Ceiling: GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000 X 4
Subs: Dual SVS PB13 Ultras
Sony VPL-VW285ES / OPPO UDP-203 / Screen Innovations 110" 4K 1.3
post #750 of 793 Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpowerlifter View Post
Please add me to this group.

I'm in Raleigh.
I'll add you to the list! Welcome What kind of gear are you working with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page