GTA - Subwoofer Meet, Invite Only - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
When he played the Dark Side of the Moon SACD, I was in heaven.

For bass music, I'd recommend one of the Daft Punk songs from Tron: Legacy. I have that.

I don't have much musical knowledge. I have the drum solo from Queen Rock Montreal, which sounds great. Actually, I have the entire concert ripped from my DVD. The recording is very good.

For your speakers, I have Rebecca Pigeon's 'Spanish Harlem'. That sounds spectacular. Tracy Chapman's 'Give Me One Good Reason' is great too.
Sure, bring the SACD's over as well. I currently have the 3 x CX12t's behind an AT screen in the basement with 2 x Axiom QS8 as side surrounds. I have yet to mount my Model 8 speakers (they're essentially a higher end "CX8" using a modified Radian 508 driver with custom suspension and surrounds. And let's not forget the "snake oil" Mundorf components. lol.

I should have my Model 10's (CX10 equivalent in a 0.83cu box) by then which I'll be using for the rears. And lastly, I placed my order yesterday for my second Gamma218 which is shipping next week... if the stars align, I'll have them for the GTG as well. Then we can hook-up @Magibeg subM as the 3rd sub, nearfield and really bring down the house!!

Last edited by lz7j; 06-16-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Nice! We'll bring San Andreas to Mississauga.

I really want to hear how the beryllium sounds. Have you tried them out yet?
post #33 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm bringing my hard drive with all of my music and demo clips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice! We'll bring San Andreas to Mississauga.

I really want to hear how the beryllium sounds. Have you tried them out yet?
No, not yet. The builder (Coherent Speakers) received my veneer today and he's in the process of building my cabinets this week. Frank will be receiving the unassembled Radian 5215 (I'm using an X5 cone vs. the standard black pulp) along with the Beryllium diaphragm on Thursday this week.

I've heard the 5215Neo Be before when I visited Coherent Speakers which promptly made me order the same speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coherentspeakers2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	779993  
post #35 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just looked up Coherent Speakers, but there's no website. Do you mind me asking for a rough idea on price?
post #36 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just looked up Coherent Speakers, but there's no website. Do you mind me asking for a rough idea on price?
It depends on how nuts you want to go. For the 15", it's $5k+ and goes up to $13.9k http://www.enjoythemusic.com/taves_2013/part2/page2.htm
For example, the Mundorf Supreme Silver+Gold caps costs $700 in parts alone for each crossover and if you go with the top of the line Nordost internal cabling, it's like $1k for the pair.

Try googling "Coherent Speakers Taves" to get some feedback and info
post #37 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
It depends on how nuts you want to go. For the 15", it's $5k+ and goes up to $13.9k http://www.enjoythemusic.com/taves_2013/part2/page2.htm
For example, the Mundorf Supreme Silver+Gold caps costs $700 in parts alone for each crossover and if you go with the top of the line Nordost internal cabling, it's like $1k for the pair.

Try googling "Coherent Speakers Taves" to get some feedback and info
Gotcha. Thanks.
post #38 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If everyone can bring some music on a jump drive, and I have access to a computer, I can create a playlist for us.

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 06-16-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #39 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If everyone can bring some music on a jump drive, and I have access to a computer, I can create a playlist for us.
Sounds good. I'll let my friends know.
post #40 of 116 Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
His name is Bill (rx-7) and he was living in Woodbridge at the time. Him and his wife moved out east for their retirement.

He had 3 Cat12Cs, 4 Cat8Cs, and two Submersive F2 HPs. The basement was unfinished and the front 3 were behind an AT screen. Even in the unfinished basement, they were utterly spectacular. The best aural experience I've ever had. Better than the $100k Wilson's I've heard, and everything else, for that matter. A fully active setup is my end goal.
IIRC....Jim Wilson (aka Jman) also paid him a visit. Fully agree on those Seaton speakers...they're gorgeous and that plays a major role in some of my decisions as would the cash....

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #41 of 116 Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Good luck with the GTG guys, I look forward to reading how things went. I'm patiently waiting for my three Gamma 218's to arrive now.

Nikko, I think I'm going to upgrade my CX-15's to the beryllium diaphragms
Billy p likes this.
post #42 of 116 Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
IIRC....Jim Wilson (aka Jman) also paid him a visit. Fully agree on those Seaton speakers...they're gorgeous and that plays a major role in some of my decisions as would the cash....
I'm planning a trip to Chicago in 2016 to attend axpona. I really want to hear the cat 12c's and jtr's 215rt. Ultimately, either of those would be my dream LCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Good luck with the GTG guys, I look forward to reading how things went. I'm patiently waiting for my three Gamma 218's to arrive now.

I can't wait to hear the subM's. I thought of buying those same sub that @Magibeg got before pulling the trigger on the gamma218, if you remember.

In regards to the Be, definitely do it! And do it soon while they're in stock at Radian. Are you planning to switch out your cx8's as well? There's a good chance I maybe upgrading my cx12's to Be as well... Assuming I don't need to switch out my surround$$$.

BTW, did your jtr228's work well with the cx8 surrounds?
post #43 of 116 Old 06-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I'm jealous of those that get to hear, nevermind own, the cat 12's. I've got some work to do on the savings account before the fiance allows for dropping 20K+ on speakers.
Billy p likes this.
post #44 of 116 Old 06-20-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Hey Joe...nice to see you found your way onto this thread. Just so you know...you helped lead me down the PSA road map. To bad... in seeing how things have gone on around here lately...but the reality is ID has become uber competitive with the likes of RA and PSA...unfortunately things at times can get rather testy. Don't know if I will follow you or Nikko down the RA path but I am fairly certain my next sub will have a smaller footprint and the FA 18.0 is pulling at my heartstrings...lol.

Quote:
I'm planning a trip to Chicago in 2016 to attend axpona. I really want to hear the cat 12c's and jtr's 215rt. Ultimately, either of those would be my dream LCR.
Any show would be welcomed by me.... just not sure how practical or feasible it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
I'm jealous of those that get to hear, nevermind own, the cat 12's. I've got some work to do on the savings account before the fiance allows for dropping 20K+ on speakers.
Just a lotto max win away baby... Heck I'd fly Mark in business class & have him set the whole thing up....
Mark Seaton and Magibeg like this.

Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 06-20-2015 at 11:04 PM.
post #45 of 116 Old 06-22-2015, 07:24 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Recently purchased 3 Catalyst 8C's from Mike (user name Akbash) who was gracious enough to let me into his home to also have a listen to his Cat 12C setup (plus SubM, now owns duals I think). The 12C's are incredibly dynamic speakers capable of ear bleeding SPL's with wonderful clarity and no distortion.

Right now I'm using a single as my own version of a "Seaton Catalyst Soundbar" as I like to call it until I move homes in July and somehow figure out how to put this puppy above a fireplace...subs have also been shut down as I have already packed my Funk Audio rack amp.

Enjoy the GTG, unfortunately this summer is likely not going to work for me for much extra-curricular activities!
lz7j and Magibeg like this.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #46 of 116 Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any show would be welcomed by me.... just not sure how practical or feasible it would be.

Just a lotto max win away baby... Heck I'd fly Mark in business class & have him set the whole thing up....
It's too bad that TAVES isn't a big enough show I'm sure for Mark to attend here in Toronto. Went to that show a few years ago, wasn't bad, wasn't great. Mark Seaton is of course welcome to sleep over at my place to save on hotel costs if he did want to attend, of course, he'd have to dial in my system in his spare time as payment for room and board.

I'll just let the wife know I have a strange man from the internet coming by to sleep over first.
Billy p likes this.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Last edited by pbc; 06-22-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #47 of 116 Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
It's too bad that TAVES isn't a big enough show I'm sure for Mark to attend here in Toronto. Went to that show a few years ago, wasn't bad, wasn't great. Mark Seaton is of course welcome to sleep over at my place to save on hotel costs if he did want to attend, of course, he'd have to dial in my system in his spare time as payment for food and board.

I'll just let the wife know I have a strange man from the internet coming by to sleep over first.

Good morning ...Steve

I thought about contacting you with regards to this GTG...maybe I could have worked out some of the details with the host(Nikko) for you to ride shotgun...unfortunately those extra curricular take a back seat for me... as well.

Good luck with the move BTW....

post #48 of 116 Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Recently purchased 3 Catalyst 8C's from Mike (user name Akbash) who was gracious enough to let me into his home to also have a listen to his Cat 12C setup (plus SubM, now owns duals I think). The 12C's are incredibly dynamic speakers capable of ear bleeding SPL's with wonderful clarity and no distortion.

Right now I'm using a single as my own version of a "Seaton Catalyst Soundbar" as I like to call it until I move homes in July and somehow figure out how to put this puppy above a fireplace...subs have also been shut down as I have already packed my Funk Audio rack amp.

Enjoy the GTG, unfortunately this summer is likely not going to work for me for much extra-curricular activities!
Nice score! Any idea how the Catalyst 8C compare to the JTR Tripple 8 or 228.
post #49 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

No clue, didn't Mark help design the Tripple and and/or 228? Other than the fact that the Cat 8C is active and DSP (don't think the JTRs are but I could be wrong), and I think uses higher quality drivers (AE 8" drivers I believe and a decent B&C coaxial), I don't know how big a difference there would be if one were to blindly A-B them.

Quote:

post #50 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No clue, didn't Mark help design the Tripple and and/or 228? Other than the fact that the Cat 8C is active and DSP (don't think the JTRs are but I could be wrong), and I think uses higher quality drivers (AE 8" drivers I believe and a decent B&C coaxial), I don't know how big a difference there would be if one were to blindly A-B them.
Steve, once you're settled in at the new place, we hope you can host a small GTG so we can demo your Cat8's and AE DIY subs! It would save me a trip to Chicago.
post #51 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

May take a while to get the system set up at the new place, but will do. Haven't done a GTG in years.

Quote:

post #52 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
May take a while to get the system set up at the new place, but will do. Haven't done a GTG in years.
I may host another one in the fall. It'd be awesome if we can hear the Seatons/JTRs/PSAs/RA within the same room.
post #53 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Adding Brian @bcodemz to the event. He's willing to bring his Martin Logan Dynamo 1500XL if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The first post has been updated. I will PM my address to everyone on the weekend.
post #54 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Steve, once you're settled in at the new place, we hope you can host a small GTG so we can demo your Cat8's and AE DIY subs! It would save me a trip to Chicago.
Dito.....on the Cat8's...I had the opportunity to hear his dual subs....something about those AE 15h drivers that sort of separate themselves from other units I've heard. Maybe that is why IIRC Mark uses AE in his Catalysis speakers....

post #55 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:

I believe when JTR first started up Mark had a hand in helping design the T12 and T8 speakers, but I'm fairly sure all of the new stuff is all Jeff's designs.
post #56 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Adding Brian @bcodemz to the event. He's willing to bring his Martin Logan Dynamo 1500XL if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The first post has been updated. I will PM my address to everyone on the weekend.
Thanks for having me lz7j!

I think I'll bring my ML regardless if we listen to it or not so someone can listen to it if they want to.

I can't wait to meet with other enthusiasts and listen to some serious subs!
post #57 of 116 Old 06-23-2015, 11:55 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dito.....on the Cat8's...I had the opportunity to hear his dual subs....something about those AE 15h drivers that sort of separate themselves from other units I've heard. Maybe that is why IIRC Mark uses AE in his Catalysis speakers....
The AE AV15H drivers are back, albeit double the price now I believe. The new room everything is going into is more than double the size of my old family room and open up to a kitchen that is as large, so unfortunately I won't have the same impact I had before. Was considering turning my dual opposed sealed units into 2 - 4 passive radiator units (AV15H + 2 18" PR's), but alas time is not on my side.

Quote:

post #58 of 116 Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
There are actually some pretty nice equipment going to this meetup it would seem. I feel like we need to come back with numbers and impressions after this... for science!

The big thing i guess is how gamma18's do against the subM. I'm going to guess that RA's sub has more output, but i'm hoping that my subM just sounds better :P
Billy p likes this.
post #59 of 116 Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
There are actually some pretty nice equipment going to this meetup it would seem. I feel like we need to come back with numbers and impressions after this... for science!

The big thing i guess is how gamma18's do against the subM. I'm going to guess that RA's sub has more output, but i'm hoping that my subM just sounds better :P
Sure would have been better... if I had the 3000i to take along....by all accounts it has about 3db advantage throughout most of the xs30se band-width...putting it more in-line with the 2.4 k SubM. How they sound...would be key for me as well! Unfortunately...I'll be living vicariously through the feedback during this GTG....personally... I would have really loved to hear the SubM.

post #60 of 116 Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

3000i, Gamma18, wow, it's been a while since I've paid much attention to the Subwoofer forum, haven't even heard of these offerings.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page