GTA - Subwoofer Meet, Invite Only - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 687
GTA - Subwoofer Meet, Invite Only - July 4th

Hey @Frank D @Magibeg @Billy p @Dbuudo07 ,
I tried to send everyone PM's, but thought it'd be easier to capture the communication within a single thread
I finally got my Gamma 218 sub, and incidentally enough, magibeg just picked up a Seaton SubM!
I'm now trying to secure a date for this mini-event. I'm located in Mississauga, 5 mins away from Square One mall at Burnhamthorpe and Fairview (L5B 3G5).

So here's my availability
June 28 / July 4*/11

We can figure out the itinerary, food, demo materials, etc. once established. I hope magibeg is willing to bring his SubM down, as I know Billy P has offered his PSA XS30 SE.
Frank D. will be in charge of the measurements and accuracy of our testing/demo. I might just download a FLAC files available from a previous GTG they had in the U.S.
And most importantly, dbuudo07 has offered to bring some snacks and drinks. I'll provide the bbq grill, burgers and hot dogs.

2 of my buddy's will also be attending, one of them has a pair of Rhythmik FV15hp's and I can also borrow my dads JL E112, plus my HSU VTF15h mk2.

But for simplicity's sake, I propose we listen to the 3 Dual-opposed offerings from Seaton, RA and PSA.

Thoughts?

Update: June 23, 2015
Date of event: July 4, 2015
Time: 11:00am-3:00pm
Where: Mississauga
Food: Pizza, Wings, beers and popcorn (we're all pitching in for the bill, so please bring cash)
Equipment: Denon X4000 receiver, RA CX12t LCR, model 8 (CX) side surrounds, model 10 (CX10) rear surrounds, Oppo 103(courtesy of David), Sony HW40 projector
Subs we're demo'ing: Seaton Submersive HP (Ian), PSA XS30se (Bill), RA Gamma218 (me)
Optional: HSU VTF15 mk2, Rhytmik FV15HP and if we get it on time, JL F212

-Nikko

Last edited by lz7j; 06-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If i can fit the SubM into my mazda 6 bringing it would definitely be fun!
post #3 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Off the top of my head June 28th works for me...even July 5th maybe doable. July 11th is not possible because my kid has a Baseball tourny in Richmond Hill the July 10-12 weekend.

No problem with me hauling my sub down...look forward to meeting everybody and I would gladly chip with some food/snacks or drink? Or donating some $$ for the days festivities.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
If i can fit the SubM into my mazda 6 bringing it would definitely be fun!
Yeah, that's for sure! I'm really looking forward to experiencing the "reference" SubM! btw, feel free to bring a buddy. It'd be unfair for you to lug that beast around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Off the top of my head June 28th works for me...even July 5th maybe doable. July 11th is not possible because my kid has a Baseball tourny in Richmond Hill the July 10-12 weekend.

No problem with me hauling my sub down...look forward to meeting everybody and I would gladly chip with some food/snacks or drink? Or donating some $$ for the days festivities.
Sounds good, Bill! We're definitely aiming to ensure everyone can make it
post #5 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
Yeah, that's for sure! I'm really looking forward to experiencing the "reference" SubM! btw, feel free to bring a buddy. It'd be unfair for you to lug that beast around.
I know just the friend i can ask, the same person who is helping me get the SubM today by bringing his jeep. I think June 28 should work for me as well. Did you guys want me to bring a case of Alexander Keiths?
post #6 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hey Nikko,

Sounds like a great plan! I can definitely bring the measurement equipment. Currently the only date that really works for me is July 5. I have a birthday parties scheduled for your other two dates.
If you need anything else just let me know.
post #7 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Son of a gun, my wife is throwing a bridal shower party in the backyard on the 5th.

Instead, I have the go ahead to host our GTG on July 4th as an alternate date.
Does that work for everyone?
post #8 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM

I believe July 4th should work for me
post #9 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
July 4th or 11th is perfect for me. I move on the 29th.

I have a wide assortment of movie clips that I cut for demo purposes on my hard drive. It works great simply plugging the hard drive into my Oppo BDP-103. I also have a lot of music on there.

Food and drink, I can bring whatever pleases the group.

I'm coming from Vaughan, for anyone who wants to carpool.

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 06-12-2015 at 03:56 PM.
post #10 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
July 4th or 11th is perfect for me. I move on the 29th.

I have a wide assortment of movie clips that I cut for demo purposes on my hard drive. It works great simply plugging the hard drive into my Oppo BDP-103. I also have a lot of music on there.

Food and drink, I can bring whatever pleases the group.

I'm coming from Vaughan, for anyone who wants to carpool.
Sounds good, David! Are you able to bring your Oppo? I'm only using a ps3 as my bluray player.
Do you mind being in charge of the media content we'll be playing?

@Billy p - I realize you'll need help to bring your XS30 SE, so please feel free to bring a buddy to the GTG as well.
post #11 of 116 Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds good, David! Are you able to bring your Oppo? I'm only using a ps3 as my bluray player.
Do you mind being in charge of the media content we'll be playing?
Absolutely on both counts. If you can send me a song list, I can put together a playlist that flows nicely. I think we shouldn't make it too long. 10-20 minutes or so for music and 10-20 minutes for movies max. Less might be better. One thing I've noticed with many GTGs is hearing fatigue kicks in before they got to the end of the listening sessions. If we can start everything as early as possible, that would also be beneficial.

I also have a Behringer EP4000 and a Yamaha P3500 (class A-A/B) amplifiers.
post #12 of 116 Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

July 4th is good for me too.

We can use the subs to simulate some fire works.
post #13 of 116 Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have Tom Danley's uncompressed recordings of fireworks, a Harley, and trains. The end of the fireworks recording are pretty amazing. There is some very impactful ULFs.
post #14 of 116 Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great David! Add it to the list. Thanks.
post #15 of 116 Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright folks. It looks like July 4th will be the day. Just waiting for @Billy p to confirm and we're all set. I figure we can start at 11am-3pm? 3 subs (10-15mins set-up each and 30 mins worth of demo material?) + lunch.

In terms of content, I'll leave the music up to you guys. For movie clips, the Interstellar blackhole re-entry from when the station blows up and also the Pulse server room scene would be awesome
Billy p likes this.
post #16 of 116 Old 06-13-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Timing sounds good.

Off the top of my head, just from memory:

-The Incredible Hulk - Sound canon scene
-Iron Man - House attack scene
-Dolby Digital Demo Disk. I only have the DVD - Maybe the Dolby Train Trailer scene
-DVD Spectacular - 1812 Overture. I only have the DVD - Canon episode seams to be mentioned

But maybe you guys have better suggestions?
post #17 of 116 Old 06-14-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alright folks. It looks like July 4th will be the day. Just waiting for @Billy p to confirm and we're all set. I figure we can start at 11am-3pm? 3 subs (10-15mins set-up each and 30 mins worth of demo material?) + lunch.

In terms of content, I'll leave the music up to you guys. For movie clips, the Interstellar blackhole re-entry from when the station blows up and also the Pulse server room scene would be awesome
Hey guys....unfortunately July 3-4 we have another baseball tournament in Vaughan.... Saturday July 4th is not possible...sorry about that.

As much as I would love to be part of this GTG...family matters like this...come first. Unfortunately, our Rep baseball season is crammed with games and tourneys in a very small window because of our short summers.

@nikko ...If you'd like...I would be open to bringing my sub down on July 3rd(off that day) for you guys to still use that weekend...we could arrange for p/up afterwards?

It's the least I could do, heck...another avs member PBC lent me his SVS SB13U for 4 months...whats one weekend...

Very sorry I am late to reply in this thread, I just returned from visiting my parents out of town.

Cheers,

Bill

Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #18 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys....unfortunately July 3-4 we have another baseball tournament in Vaughan.... Saturday July 4th is not possible...sorry about that.

As much as I would love to be part of this GTG...family matters like this...come first. Unfortunately, our Rep baseball season is crammed with games and tourneys in a very small window because of our short summers.

@nikko ...If you'd like...I would be open to bringing my sub down on July 3rd(off that day) for you guys to still use that weekend...we could arrange for p/up afterwards?

It's the least I could do, heck...another avs member PBC lent me his SVS SB13U for 4 months...whats one weekend...

Very sorry I am late to reply in this thread, I just returned from visiting my parents out of town.

Cheers,

Bill
Too bad, Bill. Is your tournament on the 4th an all day event? I could potentially move the time frame later in the day if that works out better for everyone. That'd be awesome if you can lend us your XS30SE, curious to see what the differences are between these products and price points. I work from home, so any time on July 3rd is doable -- we can even demo both the gamma218 and xs30se together.

@Dbuudo07 @Frank D @Magibeg , we can set-up for 11-11:30am,
Sub 1 demo at 12pm
Lunch at 1pm - We can do burgers (I get the patties from a local butcher, fresh), corn on a cob and maybe we'll order some fries?! Or we can keep it simple and order pizza + wings. I have a popcorn machine, so that one is a given.
Sub 2 demo at 1:30-2:15pm
Sub 3 demo at 2:30-3:15pm

Model 15 demo (these are the speakers I'm getting custom built using modified Radian 5215's with beryllium, high end Mundorf components in a nice veneered cabinet) - supposedly, they'll measure flat down to 25hz.
post #19 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Great David! Add it to the list. Thanks.
Will do.

Quote:

Music is not my forte. I'll leave that up to you fellows. Movie demos are where I shine. I think variety is key to test subwoofer ability. Here are my recommendations:

*Midbass - Open Range, the shoot out
*Sweep - World War Z, the hand grenade in Israel
*Music in movies - The Social Network, the meeting in the club
*Amazing use of speakers and subs - Tron: Legacy, the the motorcycle chase
*Pure insanity - The Incredible Hulk, Hulk vs Abomination in downtown Toronto on Yonge St.

Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Timing sounds good.

Off the top of my head, just from memory:

-The Incredible Hulk - Sound canon scene
-Iron Man - House attack scene
-Dolby Digital Demo Disk. I only have the DVD - Maybe the Dolby Train Trailer scene
-DVD Spectacular - 1812 Overture. I only have the DVD - Canon episode seams to be mentioned

But maybe you guys have better suggestions?

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 06-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #20 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Too bad, Bill. Is your tournament on the 4th an all day event? I could potentially move the time frame later in the day if that works out better for everyone. That'd be awesome if you can lend us your XS30SE, curious to see what the differences are between these products and price points. I work from home, so any time on July 3rd is doable -- we can even demo both the gamma218 and xs30se together.

Sub 1 demo at 12pm
Lunch at 1pm - We can do burgers (I get the patties from a local butcher, fresh), corn on a cob and maybe we'll order some fries?! Or we can keep it simple and order pizza + wings. I have a popcorn machine, so that one is a given.

Model 15 demo (these are the speakers I'm getting custom built using modified Radian 5215's with beryllium, high end Mundorf components in a nice veneered cabinet) - supposedly, they'll measure flat down to 25hz.
That sounds great! The time frame seems good to keep hearing fatigue low.
post #21 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sub 1 demo at 12pm

No schedule as of yet...with most OBA sanctioned tournaments you'll play one game Friday evening(July 3) and 2 more games on Saturday(July 4th). Three games in total...however you must qualify in order to play on Sunday that's why the 5th was doable ).

What makes this difficult for me to commit is not knowing the game times. Once we have confirmation details...I'll pass them on to you. Saturday though will not work but rest assured, I'll make the necessary arrangements with you for dropping off the sub on Friday July 3rd...since I'll be heading towards Vaughan that afternoon.

Take care,

Bill...

post #22 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Timing sounds good Nikko. Pizza and wings are fine too and will probably save time. I am good either way. Keep a tally of the costs so we can all chip in.

It would be ideal for me to come by earlier to set up and do some REW measurements, if that is ok?
post #23 of 116 Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sounds great! The time frame seems good to keep hearing fatigue low.
Funny how listening fatigue happens but you do not really notice it right away. Point clearly taken, especially since I was running tests with REW this past Sunday. 4 to 5 hrs later you definitely have some fatigue.

Sounds like you have experienced hearing fatigue before.
post #24 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Funny how listening fatigue happens but you do not really notice it right away. Point clearly taken, especially since I was running tests with REW this past Sunday. 4 to 5 hrs later you definitely have some fatigue.

Sounds like you have experienced hearing fatigue before.
Yeah. I first felt it when I demoed a full 7.2 Seaton setup. It was the best audio experience I've ever had, but my ears were extraordinarily tired toward the end. If we're going to try and discern the subtle differences between these incredible offerings, our ears need to be as fresh as can be.

If we're doing pizza, we can order from The Great Canadian Pizza Company in Port Credit. I used to live next door to them. The pizza is incredible. The dough is so light. Wings would be great too. I don't of anywhere in that area except for the Wingporium. They aren't bad.
post #25 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It would be ideal for me to come by earlier to set up and do some REW measurements, if that is ok?
My son has soccer until 10:30am on Saturdays, so I'll be available shortly after then. If you're available to swing by this coming weekend, you're more than welcome.

Quote:
No schedule as of yet...with most OBA sanctioned tournaments you'll play one game Friday evening(July 3) and 2 more games on Saturday(July 4th). Three games in total...however you must qualify in order to play on Sunday that's why the 5th was doable ).

What makes this difficult for me to commit is not knowing the game times. Once we have confirmation details...I'll pass them on to you. Saturday though will not work but rest assured, I'll make the necessary arrangements with you for dropping off the sub on Friday July 3rd...since I'll be heading towards Vaughan that afternoon.

Take care,

Bill...
That's great Bill. Either way, even if you can stop by for a bit on Saturday between games, you're most definitely welcome

Quote:
Yeah. I first felt it when I demoed a full 7.2 Seaton setup. It was the best audio experience I've ever had, but my ears were extraordinarily tired toward the end. If we're going to try and discern the subtle differences between these incredible offerings, our ears need to be as fresh as can be.

If we're doing pizza, we can order from The Great Canadian Pizza Company in Port Credit. I used to live next door to them. The pizza is incredible. The dough is so light. Wings would be great too. I don't of anywhere in that area except for the Wingporium. They aren't bad.
Which Seaton set-up have you heard? And where? I've only heard great things about Seaton and JTR. I've never really experienced HE from an ID company, besides from RA so I'm really curious to see how it'll fare. Acoustically, my HT space is not the best - open floor plan to the rest of the basement (30x30x7').
post #26 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

His name is Bill (rx-7) and he was living in Woodbridge at the time. Him and his wife moved out east for their retirement.

He had 3 Cat12Cs, 4 Cat8Cs, and two Submersive F2 HPs. The basement was unfinished and the front 3 were behind an AT screen. Even in the unfinished basement, they were utterly spectacular. The best aural experience I've ever had. Better than the $100k Wilson's I've heard, and everything else, for that matter. A fully active setup is my end goal.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #27 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What do you guys think of this HT demo list?

Quote:
Music is not my forte. I'll leave that up to you fellows. Movie demos are where I shine. I think variety is key to test subwoofer ability. Here are my recommendations:

*Midbass - Open Range, the shoot out
*Sweep - World War Z, the hand grenade in Israel
*Music in movies - The Social Network, the meeting in the club
*Amazing use of speakers and subs - Tron: Legacy, the the motorcycle chase
*Pure insanity - The Incredible Hulk, Hulk vs Abomination in downtown Toronto on Yonge St.
Frank D likes this.
post #28 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
His name is Bill (rx-7) and he was living in Woodbridge at the time. Him and his wife moved out east for their retirement.

He had 3 Cat12Cs, 4 Cat8Cs, and two Submersive F2 HPs. The basement was unfinished and the front 3 were behind an AT screen. Even in the unfinished basement, they were utterly spectacular. The best aural experience I've ever had. Better than the $100k Wilson's I've heard, and everything else, for that matter. A fully active setup is my end goal.
That's just incredible! Cat8C's for surrounds, wowzaaa.

Quote:
What do you guys think of this HT demo list?
Demo list looks good!

All we need to do now is figure out what we're doing for music.
1) Bass, I love you... is a given
2) ?
post #29 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's just incredible! Cat8C's for surrounds, wowzaaa.

Demo list looks good!

All we need to do now is figure out what we're doing for music.
1) Bass, I love you... is a given
2) ?
When he played the Dark Side of the Moon SACD, I was in heaven.

I have Bass I Love You. For other bass music, I'd recommend one of the Daft Punk songs from Tron: Legacy. I have that.

I don't have much musical knowledge. I have the drum solo from Queen Rock Montreal, which sounds great. Actually, I have the entire concert ripped from my DVD. The recording is very good.

For your speakers, I have Rebecca Pigeon's 'Spanish Harlem'. That sounds spectacular. Tracy Chapman's 'Give Me One Good Reason' is great too.

Last edited by Dbuudo07; 06-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
post #30 of 116 Old 06-16-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the Dark Side of the Moon SACD, by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page