Any interest in a Pittsburgh area meet up? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 260 Old 03-11-2016, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 930
I would vote for less total time of content. Fatigue will likely set in after a while and anything towards the end of the day might get short changed.

Sounds like some nice equipment to sample.
Samps is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 260 Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Still waiting to hear back from the following who said they wanted to attend:

@MATT0404
@Withapict

One week left!!!
ahblaza likes this.
raynist is online now  
post #123 of 260 Old 03-16-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
4 days away.

Anyone that would still like to attend that hasn't already emailed me and received a response please email me at (removed)

Last edited by raynist; 03-21-2016 at 06:33 AM.
raynist is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 260 Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,099
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
4 days away.

Anyone that would still like to attend that hasn't already emailed me and received a response please email me at [email protected]
Ray, what's the time window again, sorry I should know that?
ahblaza is offline  
post #125 of 260 Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Ray, what's the time window again, sorry I should know that?
Hi Jeff,

Starting at 11am until ????

I am thinking 3-4 hours. Jeff from JTR has an 8 hour drive back so I am sure he doesn't want to leave too late.

I am going to send a follow up email tomorrow to everyone that said they want to come with the my address and hours again

--Ray
ahblaza likes this.
raynist is online now  
post #126 of 260 Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,099
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
ahblaza is offline  
post #127 of 260 Old 03-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Withapict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Camp hill,pa.
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Id say I'm maybe 30-40% at the moment.
If I make it I can bring a reaction audio PV-15x sub and a pair od CX-10's. I have the 15s but really tough to haul those and a sub a couple hundred miles.
Withapict is offline  
post #128 of 260 Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,099
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withapict View Post
Id say I'm maybe 30-40% at the moment.
If I make it I can bring a reaction audio PV-15x sub and a pair od CX-10's. I have the 15s but really tough to haul those and a sub a couple hundred miles.
Would love to hear the PV-15X
ahblaza is offline  
post #129 of 260 Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Was trying to finalize the clips I will use on Sunday and was playing one from cloverfield where the monster is attacking NYC, I think this txt from my wife who was sleeping means this scene is a keeper

Jeff Permanian likes this.
raynist is online now  
post #130 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 05:58 AM
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,184
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Was trying to finalize the clips I will use on Sunday and was playing one from cloverfield where the monster is attacking NYC, I think this txt from my wife who was sleeping means this scene is a keeper

i get this text all the time hahah (well the first part)
Brian Fineberg is offline  
post #131 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I can't wait to hear the impressions for the growler.
DotJun is offline  
post #132 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I can't wait to hear the impressions for the growler.
For music it is going to be awesome (I use 2 of them in my garage). Probably not so much for the movie clips.
raynist is online now  
post #133 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
For music it is going to be awesome (I use 2 of them in my garage). Probably not so much for the movie clips.

Do you really? I was debating on a pair for mbm duties.
DotJun is offline  
post #134 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Was trying to finalize the clips I will use on Sunday and was playing one from cloverfield where the monster is attacking NYC, I think this txt from my wife who was sleeping means this scene is a keeper


Umm. Does she realise that you're getting FOUR Captivator S2 subwoofers?
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #135 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Umm. Does she realise that you're getting FOUR Captivator S2 subwoofers?
LOL - she loves the bass when she is watching movies, but no so much when she is sleeping!
raynist is online now  
post #136 of 260 Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Do you really? I was debating on a pair for mbm duties.
They would be incredible for that purpose.
raynist is online now  
post #137 of 260 Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lz7j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 687
@raynist - can you please post your playlist? I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. Four freaking S2's are going to be nuts!!

Not sure if you're going to have time to do max compression sweeps on each sub, but that would provide a great data point. My last Subwoofer gtg, we spent 4 hours listening to 3 subs with 30mins worth of demo materials. My recommendation is to try and set everything up 2 hours prior. That should give you enough time to do the measurements and find the best placement for the single subs.

Have fun guys!
Billy p likes this.
lz7j is offline  
post #138 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
They would be incredible for that purpose.

Now if only @DaveyK would bring his OS to the party so I could get impressions of that combo playing in concert
DotJun is offline  
post #139 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Namikis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McMurray PA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Umm. Does she realise that you're getting FOUR Captivator S2 subwoofers?
Ray-

Thank you so much for the invite - it was a lot of fun to see that setup and meet some of the folks here in person. While the subs were impressive what floored me was how good the JTR 210s sounded without any sub helping out. The ability of those towers to produce high dbs at low distortion is incredible. Thanks!!

Pepe
Jeff Permanian likes this.
Namikis is offline  
post #140 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namikis View Post
Ray-

Thank you so much for the invite - it was a lot of fun to see that setup and meet some of the folks here in person. While the subs were impressive what floored me was how good the JTR 210s sounded without any sub helping out. The ability of those towers to produce high dbs at low distortion is incredible. Thanks!!

Pepe
I agree the JTR 210RT's stole the show!! They are amazing and I am probably pretty stupid for selling them!!

You missed the heavyweight subs (s2 and Triax) but still the 210's played boxenkiller better alone than with any sub.

Last edited by raynist; 03-21-2016 at 06:32 AM.
raynist is online now  
post #141 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,099
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
Ray, accept my apologies for not attending, I had an unexpected family member die, I asked John to tell you the reason for my not being able to attend, I looked so forward to being there and offered my V1800 for John to take to your home but he couldn't fit it in his vehicle.

Sincerely, Jeffrey
ahblaza is offline  
post #142 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Ray, accept my apologies for not attending, I had an unexpected family member die, I asked John to tell you the reason for my not being able to attend, I looked so forward to being there and offered my V1800 for John to take to your home but he couldn't fit it in his vehicle.

Sincerely, Jeffrey
Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. John did relay the message. We will have another for sure. It was far better than I expected. Maybe next time we can concentrate on speakers.

--Ray
raynist is online now  
post #143 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
One main thing I found out about my place is I have a lot of rattles in my room!!!!

I don't usually listen that loud though, but I think my next project is to try to fix those. It is a good project because it is mostly free and I can't spend anymore money on home theater for at least a year!!
raynist is online now  
post #144 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 1,877
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
@raynist - can you please post your playlist? I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. Four freaking S2's are going to be nuts!!

Not sure if you're going to have time to do max compression sweeps on each sub, but that would provide a great data point. My last Subwoofer gtg, we spent 4 hours listening to 3 subs with 30mins worth of demo materials. My recommendation is to try and set everything up 2 hours prior. That should give you enough time to do the measurements and find the best placement for the single subs.

Have fun guys!
Haha...living vicariously having 4 S2 will be nuts when you have 5 SI in da house. Btw...your Fusions sounded incredible.

Ray....have a great time. If you guys have another future gtg....I'd consider making the 6.5 hr trek. Would love to catch up on some things I had missed last time and stop by Nickys for some great thai food.

@ahblaza ....my thoughts & prayers go out to you my friend....


Regards,


Bill
Jeff Permanian and ahblaza like this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
Billy p is offline  
post #145 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 PM
Member
 
Namikis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McMurray PA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ray -

You think you have rattles in your basement? It is all relative. Mine is twice as bad with a fraction of the bass energy. I need to make the time to systematically go over everything that is above the dropped ceiling and tie it down/put damping material/etc. May as well insulate while I am there. See, project scope creep is settling in already...

Pepe
Namikis is offline  
post #146 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
@raynist - can you please post your playlist? I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. Four freaking S2's are going to be nuts!!

Not sure if you're going to have time to do max compression sweeps on each sub, but that would provide a great data point. My last Subwoofer gtg, we spent 4 hours listening to 3 subs with 30mins worth of demo materials. My recommendation is to try and set everything up 2 hours prior. That should give you enough time to do the measurements and find the best placement for the single subs.

Have fun guys!
Hi,

We did not have time to do the compression sweeps although it would have been nice to do. We started off listening to my system the way it was setup and tuned and then started the single sub evaluations. We had about 22-23 minutes of material, here is the playlist

Boxenkiller
Olympus has fallen Monument Scene
Book of Eli Gatling Gun
Pulse Server Scene
Metallica One from through the never
Terminator Genesis school Bus Crash
Flight of the Phoenix Crash
Art of Flight first scene
Underworld Awakening Lycan
Cream Blu Ray drum solo (took this out eventually)
John Wick Club scene
War of the Worlds end of pod emergence
Lucy beginning credits.
raynist is online now  
post #147 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namikis View Post
Ray -

You think you have rattles in your basement? It is all relative. Mine is twice as bad with a fraction of the bass energy. I need to make the time to systematically go over everything that is above the dropped ceiling and tie it down/put damping material/etc. May as well insulate while I am there. See, project scope creep is settling in already...

Pepe
I need to movie ceiling tiles and tack all of the wires running up through the ceiling to the wood above. Right now they are probably laying on ceiling tiles.

I could probably put on the pulse server room scene and search for rattles for hours.

Insulation would be a good idea - would have been a better idea before the ceiling grid was put in!!! Hearing all of those rattles makes me wish I had dry walled the ceiling. Drop ceiling sure is nice when you need access though.

Last edited by raynist; 03-20-2016 at 09:35 PM.
raynist is online now  
post #148 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Samps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Thanks Ray! It was better than I expected. For a first time event it went pretty smooth. I'm sure the next will be even better.

For the rattles, I wonder what would happen if you removed all of the ceiling tiles. Obviously it couldn't stay that way, but it would be an easy way to see if those alone are the problem. If they are, you might be able to add some weight to each tile, or secure them somehow.

The JTR 210HTs did sound very good, the 215s must be silly. The system as it was when we arrived was also very good. Next time maybe we should end with the full system. None of those single subs had a chance in comparison.

I was impressed with the Cap S2. IMO they were more capable than the Triaxs. I wonder how much more headroom the S2 had? Even if they had performed identically, the shape of the S2 is just easier to integrate into a room. But the Triax is an awesome sub and anyone would be lucky to own them.

The HST and the JTR 118 both seemed to suffer from the same signal chain issue or whatever it was that was going on. I have a feeling both of those subs would perform much better once setup properly. If Jeff is willing to come back out for the next meet, those two deserve another demo. The 118 is a great size, and I bet that will be a good seller when the final production models are ready. To clarify, I'm under the impression that the 118 we heard was a pre-production unit. The site says they're not available for a few more months.

My only suggestion for the next meet would be more clips at shorter lengths. The overall time felt good though.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
Samps is online now  
post #149 of 260 Old 03-20-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Thanks Ray! It was better than I expected. For a first time event it went pretty smooth. I'm sure the next will be even better.

For the rattles, I wonder what would happen if you removed all of the ceiling tiles. Obviously it couldn't stay that way, but it would be an easy way to see if those alone are the problem. If they are, you might be able to add some weight to each tile, or secure them somehow.

The JTR 210HTs did sound very good, the 215s must be silly. The system as it was when we arrived was also very good. Next time maybe we should end with the full system. None of those single subs had a chance in comparison.

I was impressed with the Cap S2. IMO they were more capable than the Triaxs. I wonder how much more headroom the S2 had? Even if they had performed identically, the shape of the S2 is just easier to integrate into a room. But the Triax is an awesome sub and anyone would be lucky to own them.

The HST and the JTR 118 both seemed to suffer from the same signal chain issue or whatever it was that was going on. I have a feeling both of those subs would perform much better once setup properly. If Jeff is willing to come back out for the next meet, those two deserve another demo. The 118 is a great size, and I bet that will be a good seller when the final production models are ready. To clarify, I'm under the impression that the 118 we heard was a pre-production unit. The site says they're not available for a few more months.

My only suggestion for the next meet would be more clips at shorter lengths. The overall time felt good though.
I agree about single subs being at a major disadvantage vs having the 4 Triax's fully calibrated and integrated with a house curve. Very difficult to compare to that. I was almost thinking of not doing that at all but it was the last time I would be able to hear it set that way

Also agree about more clips at shorter length. I should have cut down that John Wick scene - it was nearly 6 minutes long. Every time I watched it though leading up to the GTG I couldn't decide were to cut it. I think I let my love for that movie influence my decision too much . That said, I can't get enough of that part where he shoots the guy and then waits to reload to shoot him in the head!

Can't wait to do another one. Maybe next time do more with speaker?

I would like to hear the 118 and HST again. That 6db boost we put on the HST was too much for inuke 6000 in my room.

Definitely was better than I expected. I was very nervous In the days leading up to it that there would hardly be anyone here after Jeff making the 8 hour drive.
lz7j and jh901 like this.
raynist is online now  
post #150 of 260 Old 03-21-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PITTSBURGH
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Definitely was better than I expected. I was very nervous In the days leading up to it that there would hardly be anyone here after Jeff making the 8 hour drive.
Happy to hear about the nice event! I'm interested in networking with home theater locals, so I'll keep any eye on this thread.
ahblaza likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
jh901 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off