February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #721 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Denon Ceol Piccolo DRA-N5 and a pair of JBL Loft 30 speakers for sale. Asking 300 for the Denon and 50 for the JBLs. Works with Airplay and the Denon iOS remote app. Would make an nice office system. PM me if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
@Archaea

I checked the AMC Prime site, it looks like John Wick 2 will not be an option to see. I hope what I pulled up is wrong.

Typed on a little keyboard, excuse any grammatical errors.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1

Last edited by Rowan611; 02-08-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #723 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Don't fret yet, AMC is only listing Dolby Cinema movies out to the 15th (Fifty Shades and Lego Batman). Here's the link to check for the 17th:

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...nemaatamcprime

Right now that redirects to https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...rywoods-24/all.

Just so you can see the difference, here's the Dolby Cinema link for the 15th:

Last edited by cvinfig; 02-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.
post #725 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

If people were interested and I didn't have to tear into my front wall. Maybe put the sub up in the corner by the sealed subs without moving them and also don't mess with re-wiring my sealed subs. That way when the Cap wins I can say that it was because I was only using 1 channel of my amp in 2 ohms.

I do have the house to myself on Sunday until 3:00 sharp, no later. So I could have people over for whatever and if people wanted that so be it. Again though, no way am I touching my front wall again.
post #726 of 1408 Old 02-08-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
I guess we will have to wait a day or two for the official movie times.

I know that the Barrywoods 24 location is closer to the airport but just FYI the Town Center location often has a different movie playing in their Dolby Cinema. Might be something to check.

I know that The Great Wall looks pretty ridiculous. But, it also looks like an audio video spectacle. And that is exactly what you want to showcase the Dolby Cinema. I am not sure there is anything else releasing next weekend that would be good in there. A Cure for Wellness looks terrifying. Might want to get a vote on that one but I would go.

I think the Lego Batman movie would be a fun crowd pleaser for everyone no matter what theater we chose to see it in.

And of course we could always do Wick 2 in a lesser theater if it is not still playing in Dolby Cinema.
post #727 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Happy to be joining the party guys! Should be a great GTG!

One of the things I'd like to do is get some Tactile Response (TR) sweeps of all the hosts rooms. Most of us know what our frequency responses look like, but do you know what your Tactile Response looks like?

IMO, TR is so critical to the HT experience but it's never been objectively measured. It's literally been all a "seat of the pants", set and forget type mentality. A great HT experience is a combination of great TR, FR, and PR (Pressure Response).

@coolrda , @3ll3d00d , @derrickdj1 , myself, and many others have been trying to understand how to measure TR and its impact on the overall HT experience. We've been using Vibsensor software and mobile phones as the tool in the Vibsensor thread. For now, you can think of it this way:

REW is to FR as Vibsensor is to TR

3ll3d00d is actually creating a DIY accelerometer and associated software. Until complete, Vibsensor and phones are the best we have.

Below is an example of @SBuger TR sweep with Vibsensor from 0-100hz.

We are still trying to determine what a "Reference TR" curve looks like, but based on what we've collected so far, generally speaking it is:

• The peak vibration of X, Y, or Z axis (top most line) are smooth, no major peaks or dips
  • Downward sloping
  • PSD levels of 1E-03 or 1E-04 from 0-50hz

The time to actually get a TR is seconds, but the entire process (setup etc.) should be under 5 minutes. It will be interesting to mate subjective remarks of the hosts HT with objective TR measurements.

Thoughts?
-Dom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sbuger TR.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1954145  
chirpie, coolrda, SBuger and 1 others like this.

Last edited by dominguez1; 02-09-2017 at 05:20 AM.
post #728 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Don't fret yet, AMC is only listing Dolby Cinema movies out to the 15th (Fifty Shades and Lego Batman). Here's the link to check for the 17th:

Right now that redirects to https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-th...rywoods-24/all.

Just so you can see the difference, here's the Dolby Cinema link for the 15th:

There is still no listing for the Dolby Cinema yet, guess they won't list that till tomorrow I hope. Our family may go ahead and see Lego Batman. My son wants to see it and he doesn't always want to go to a movie.
post #729 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
I guess we will have to wait a day or two for the official movie times.

I know that the Barrywoods 24 location is closer to the airport but just FYI the Town Center location often has a different movie playing in their Dolby Cinema. Might be something to check.

I know that The Great Wall looks pretty ridiculous. But, it also looks like an audio video spectacle. And that is exactly what you want to showcase the Dolby Cinema. I am not sure there is anything else releasing next weekend that would be good in there. A Cure for Wellness looks terrifying. Might want to get a vote on that one but I would go.

I think the Lego Batman movie would be a fun crowd pleaser for everyone no matter what theater we chose to see it in.

And of course we could always do Wick 2 in a lesser theater if it is not still playing in Dolby Cinema.
A cure for wellness would be especially terrifying too. I wouldn't be opposed to that, or to great wall, but you guys can totally count me out of a talking lego movie. Don't get me wrong, I love legos, but Id rather use some of my first few hours in KC watching something other than a kid's movie. I'd opt for JW2 in a lesser theater before I'd watch that Lego Batman movie.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #730 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I expect we won't suit everyone with a single movie choice for 50 people no matter what.
John Wick 2 could have been close I think. But at this point we almost are starting to assume it won't be an option in the premium theater. Maybe we'll know tomorrow. Everyone should know that we did NOT decide to group buy tickets...the savings weren't worth it.(a couple bucks a ticket). So when the tickets go live it's each man for himself. Buy your own ticket. We'll definitely be announcing in this thread if they go live. @Stoked21 is checking everyday, and has been trying to get the management at AMC to give us John Wick 2. (but basically been told it's AMC corporate that decides all this -- and the local managers have no control).

As to Lego Batman - I agree with Brandon --
After watching the first Lego movie a couple years back, I have no interest in this one. That kind of humor just doesn't make me laugh - IIRC, I laughed a single time during the entirety of the first Lego movie --- ironically it was when Batman said he only used black legos and very dark grey. My buddy Tim says that means I should watch the lego batman movie ---- but I think I'll pass.

I recently spent a day in LEGOLAND with my family, a gift given to us, and that same type of humor was all over the place all day.

They had a 4d movie experience there. And while it was a HORRIBLE cheesy lego movie marketing movie featuring these new lego Knights sets, the 4d effect was quite fun. They had mist, snow, wind, flashing light, and atmospheric lighting all happening to the audience apart from the 3d screen. Pretty neat to have snow falling on you in a theater, when the on screen action is snow.

However, No I will not go back there again for our Friday night activity. The only human beings that can appreciate that 20 minute LEGOLAND movie script staring the lego Knights would be 6-8 year old boys.

Now if 4d theaters were a thing for blockbuster titles like Lord of the Rings or something. I'd probably go in. It was fun experiencing the physical aspects of the movie. In the LEGOLAND movie they had a scene where a character basically did a super exaggerated Barney burp, and they fired up the wind machines, and the spray misters, and my kids were like ewwww gross, what was that? Why, am I wet? My five year old girl was especially grossed out because I think she thought she had burp juices on her. I did laugh at my kids reactions.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-09-2017 at 01:07 PM.
post #731 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The only human beings that can appreciate that LEGOLAND movie script were 6-8 year old boys.
And John Wick only appeals to crazed people who want to blow the place up. (Carp for example.)
carp likes this.
post #732 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
And John Wick only appeals to crazed people who want to blow the place up. (Carp for example.)
This^

I'm in for John Wick 2 no matter what theater it is in.
dsl1, jeahrens and lukeamdman like this.
post #733 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
My son was 6 when the Lego Movie came out and he just turned 8 so we will be going anyway. As a group I would rather see something other then Lego Batman too so we will see what happens in the morning.

But, Everything is Awesome!
post #734 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM

I liked the Lego movie, I thought the end of it with the whole Will Ferrel thing was pretty creative. I liked Batman's "barking" system in his car.
post #735 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Did not expect the critic reviews for John Wick 2 to be that good! I am down to see it in whatever theater as well.

I have an Onkyo 818 receiver I bought new that is getting replaced with an XMC-1 tonight. If anyone wants the Onkyo let me know and I'll bring it to you. It has Audyssey XT32, 135w / channel, 9.1 preouts, but no 4k passthrough. Asking $375 - works great, have remote etc but not original box.

DIY Mid Hi Speakers Build - SKHorn Build - Gjallarhorn Build SOLD - Othorn Build SOLD - SEOS 12 Build - Other Gear: JVC NX5 - Seymour Matinee Black - QSC CX4.5Q amps x 5 - QSC Q-sys 110f - Speakerpower 6000 x2
post #736 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I'm in for John wick in any theater (but I prefer AMC ward parkway or town center).
post #737 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
This^

I'm in for John Wick 2 no matter what theater it is in.
Yep
post #738 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I'm in for John wick in any theater (but I prefer AMC ward parkway or town center).
I like Ward Parkway as well, but prefer the Berrywoods 24 Dolby Cinema. Have you seen a movie in it? I like the Imax as well, but like the sound and seats better in the DC.
post #739 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I like Ward Parkway as well, but prefer the Berrywoods 24 Dolby Cinema. Have you seen a movie in it? I like the Imax as well, but like the sound and seats better in the DC.
I really don't go to the movies for audio anymore. Mainly I go for Dolby vision. I've been to barrywoods but it's not really worth the drive for me when the other two are so close.
post #740 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
post #741 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I really don't go to the movies for audio anymore. Mainly I go for Dolby vision. I've been to barrywoods but it's not really worth the drive for me when the other two are so close.
I understand. I am the opposite since I am north or the river and closer to Berrywoods although I work real close to the Town Center.

As for not going for sound in the theater, that is like me and going out for BBQ or steak. I only go to Q39 pretty much anymore. I haven't found another place that can make it better then I can a home other them my brother in law that competes in the KCBS. I am looking forward to trying @d_c 's BBQ.
post #742 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ideally the place we pick would be reasonably close to Chuck and the airport (so far down South in Olathe, I think is off the table - because some of the guys are ubering from the airport to the Commercial Theater - and then sharing rides for the weekend from the Theater. Also I remember from the 2015 crawl that some of the guys arrived late for the Dolby Prime movie because of airport delays and the 50 + minutes for driving from the airport to the south AMC Prime at Nall. So that's why we chose the north location AMC Prime at Barry Woods (20 minutes from the airport) --- Do remember that nearly 2/3s of the people attending the event are flying in from out of state).

If Dolby Cinema option isn't available, what do you guys think of Alamo Draft House downtown. It's within walking distance to Chucks, (IIRC) and reasonably close to the group rate Holiday Inn where about 10 of you are staying. I've heard it's a pretty decent theater experience, though I've personally not been there yet. They don't have the 17th listed yet - (only through the 16th as of today)
https://drafthouse.com/kansas-city

I'm not aware of another theater that compares to AMC Dolby Prime Cinema in this area, but if a reasonable movie is not in the Prime, then the other adjoining AMC theater rooms aren't going to offer a particularly unique experience. So the Alamo theater is a possibility based on efficiency/proximity to the other Friday night activities.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #743 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Well hey guys, weather at least looks like it will be solid! +1 week outlooks don't mean squat to me really, but hey, if it holds, I'll be happy!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #744 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I understand. I am the opposite since I am north or the river and closer to Berrywoods although I work real close to the Town Center.

As for not going for sound in the theater, that is like me and going out for BBQ or steak. I only go to Q39 pretty much anymore. I haven't found another place that can make it better then I can a home other them my brother in law that competes in the KCBS. I am looking forward to trying @d_c 's BBQ.
No pressure d_c! ;-)
Archaea likes this.
post #745 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Everything is Awesome...

I am down for John Wick in whatever theater. I would rather see Lego Batman in my own theater.
post #746 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

There are some projector changes that are worth mentioning in the first post for the crawl. I hope no one is disappointed that we'll have 4 new, unanticipated, pretty seriously nice displays to showcase at this crawl.

Mike Garrett and desertdome graciously offered demo unit projectors to use during the crawl to the nine hosts (either can be contacted via PM for crawl specials denoted specifically to attendees!) A couple of us took them up on their offers.
@Mike Garrett is demoing a JVC RS600 in my room. He mentioned he'll have RS400, RS500 and RS600 units on a special closeout price to crawl attendees! You can also reach out to Mike Garrett directly via PM to inquire about the price on this particular new RS600 unit I'm showcasing -- it was new before this crawl and it throws a ridiculously good picture as I discovered just last night when I initially set it up! ridiculously good...

@desertdome is demoing a JVC RS520 in JDontee's room with his rear projection screen setup which will be really fantastic as well! Rear Projection is unique in that the screen JD uses allows his theater room lights to be fully on and the image still looks just like a giant 105" HDTV. (no black level washout as you'd have with a traditional front projector display). Desertdome also has an RS500 and RS520 unit available at a special price to crawl attendees. Please reach out to him directly via PM to inquire for further details.

Both Mike Garret and desertdome have access to other AV items you may desire, so feel free to chat with them during the crawl -- and please thank them for offering cutting edge video equipment to showcase during the crawl.

Also Grant will be showcasing a freshly purchased JVC RS520, and Sheldon will be showcasing a freshly purchased Epson 5040 -- both upgrades from their equipment list in the first post! I will update the first post now.
turls, Tedd, dsl1 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #747 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 03:15 PM

I like the term freshly purchased.

I say we either go to Barry Woods (surely John Wick 2 will still be in a very nice theater even if it isn't the Atmos theater right?) or we go to the theater close to Chuck's - if it's solid then we go there for sure.
post #748 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Ideally the place we pick would be reasonably close to Chuck and the airport (so far down South in Olathe, I think is off the table - because some of the guys are ubering from the airport to the Commercial Theater - and then sharing rides for the weekend from the Theater. Also I remember from the 2015 crawl that some of the guys arrived late for the Dolby Prime movie because of airport delays and the 50 + minutes for driving from the airport to the south AMC Prime at Nall. So that's why we chose the north location AMC Prime at Barry Woods (20 minutes from the airport) --- Do remember that nearly 2/3s of the people attending the event are flying in from out of state).

If Dolby Cinema option isn't available, what do you guys think of Alamo Draft House downtown. It's within walking distance to Chucks, (IIRC) and reasonably close to the group rate Holiday Inn where about 10 of you are staying. I've heard it's a pretty decent theater experience, though I've personally not been there yet. They don't have the 17th listed yet - (only through the 16th as of today)
https://drafthouse.com/kansas-city

I'm not aware of another theater that compares to AMC Dolby Prime Cinema in this area, but if a reasonable movie is not in the Prime, then the other adjoining AMC theater rooms aren't going to offer a particularly unique experience. So the Alamo theater is a possibility based on efficiency/proximity to the other Friday night activities.
The Alamo is my theater of preference when Dolby isn't an option. I also have a free movie there for my birthday last month, or an option of a buy one get one (on a future visit) that I can use there.

I did not care much for the Lego Movie, so I'm not too into the idea of the Batman movie, though that was about the only part I liked.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #749 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I have actually heard of the Alamo Draft House, and it sounds like something I need to see while there.

Whether it's Friday night, or Monday night...
post #750 of 1408 Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really would like to be part of this I loved being at the last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page