February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #1141 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
I'm going to be in St.Louis from 3/15-19 and I'm trying to find a way to make it over to KC.

@carp if you're around and I can somehow make it over there maybe we can take an impedance sweep of one of your cabs to see what kind of wiring/amp possibilities you have?
Archaea likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 613 Post(s)
Quoted: 3795 Post(s)
Liked: 3582
I didn't participate in other hosts demo events on Saturday, But I did hang out at Chuck's house on Friday night, and went to the last two demo sessions on Saturday night with group B. (carp's and stoked21’s post party)

First off -- Thanks to so many people who helped plan and organize this crawl.

@Randy Bessinger , @JDontee , @carp , @cvinfig , @chirpie and @Archaea attended a planning session in December, to help get things organized early.
@dgage , @chirpie , @cvinfig provided the lanyard name tags
@chirpie designed, and @sassuki printed the t-shirts
@cvinfig hosted the pre-party on Friday night.
@d_c produced the amazing BBQ lunch for >50 people on Saturday.
@Stoked21 hosted the post-party on Saturday night.
@carp hosted the post post-party on Sunday morning.
@d_c hosted the post post post-party, even including a pontoon boat ride at the lake on Sunday night.
@dominguez1 and @Luke Kamp provided tactile and frequency response measurements during the crawl.
@Mike Garrett provided a JVC RS600 to demo
@desertdome provided a JVC RS520 to demo
@Jeff Permanian provided a JTR 212HT and Captivator ULF 4000 to demo
@Tedd provided 60 8GB USB sticks with vertical poster images free to attendees (if you didn't get one, @Stoked21 has the remaining pile currently)

Thanks immensely to the above for your contributions and help! If I'm missing someone please forgive me! This help made the event a success!

Thanks to the nine hosts for their interest and ability and initiative to do this! We have a great enthusiast group in KC! You guys rock!

@Archaea
@carp
@chirpie
@ChldsPlay
@cvinfig
@d_c
@JDontee
@jedimastergrant
@Stoked21

AND thanks for the KC enthusiast who were able/willing to let some of the various attendees stay with them. I think about half the hosts extended this offer and even some non-KC hosts extended offers for a fellow enthusiast/(s) visiting from out of town to spend the night in their home.

I really enjoyed the event myself, and certainly couldn't have organized this without all the help from my fellow KC enthusiasts and friends.

--------------------------------------

My favorite 'things' about this crawl:
  • Catching up with old and new friends! - That really is the point after all for most of us veteran attendees and hosts.
  • Watching d_c frantically screw in drywall as it was being loosed in real time by the ULF 4000. (Drywall that was just hung that morning)
    - as well as watching my shirt sleeve and shorts material swing back and forth a full inch in d_c's room while I stood 15' away from the Cap 4000 ULF. That cap was STUPID impressive in Doug's basement room. Without question, the single 4000 ULF had several of us guys with eight sealed subs intrigued and crunching numbers. Doug said it was "violent". I agree, that's the proper adjective. It was actually "painfully powerful" as you approached the corner it was loaded in. I didn't make it to Stoked21's on time for the loudest demos, but when I pulled up I could hear the 4000 ULF in his house before my car stopped, and when I opened my car door I could hear all of his siding vibrating from the street. That is one powerful sub!
  • Answering questions and interacting with group C in one of my host demo sessions. The group seemed eager to ask questions, learn and experience! I remember back to when I was newer in the hobby and how exciting this stuff was!
  • Watching a flower pot walk across the upstairs dining room table at carps house with the 4000 ULF --- we all had left the theater room save a couple brave souls. The dining room table's hardwood chairs vibrated like they had transducers in them from the theater room below.
  • Almost sinking the pontoon boat as we all moved to the front end for a ill-conceived group picture --- And seeing the panic in @Scott Simonian 's eyes as the front of the boat submerged under water and we all collectively scrambled towards the rear of the boat. Doug (d_c) handled it coolly, cut the motor, and laughed alongside everyone.
  • Watching teflon Doug and his many uncanny abilities, heal +10, sneak skill + 10, agility and dodge +10, luck +10, charisma +10.

----

and not a favorite thing – but very memorable was the several instances were carp almost got knife shanked by a transient on the way to Chuck's pre-party after our John Wick 2 showing at the downtown Alamo. Our mob of like 40 people was walking over to Chucks together, and Sheldon (carp) was pushed out of the way by a guy passing our group. Sheldon reasonably assumed the guy was with our group and just playing, and so shouldered back into him lightly with a smile on his face. The transient went off, pulled a knife and threatened Sheldon several times. I think we were all caught off guard --- like whoa --- is this really happening? Who is this guy? A couple of us, alongside Sheldon were like whoa - hold it man, he didn't know who you were, you pushed first, he thought you were with us, etc. We started laughing a bit, when he backed down, but as he was walking ahead, he kept turning around and telling Sheldon to stop laughing and brandishing his knife. I was playing through my mind how it would work out if Sheldon was attacked. I'd have intervened and just flat tackled the guy, all the while realizing I’d probably get stabbed! We were lucky we were able to defuse the situation instead. The whole situation was so weird!!!

I put together a short video showing some of the video footage I got. Since I didn’t get to attend most of the host sessions, it’s simply random one off videos of some of the stuff we did. I think you can see a good time was had by all!

Hopefully more videos and photos will be posted as people return to normalcy!
I enjoyed getting to spend extra time with BeastAudio, Gorilla83, and Popalock, since they spent the night at my place, as well as Mike Garrett who stayed on Sunday night. I wish I had more time to just chill and visit with you guys -- it was good to see you again.

Keep your calendars open, we’ll likely see you again in the further optimized 2019 KC Home Theater Crawl.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-21-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #1143 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 375
With all this knowledge being dropped, can anyone tell me how close we were to the Brown Note? Asking for a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Almost sinking the pontoon boat as we all moved to the front end for a ill-conceived group picture --- And seeing the panic in @Scott Simonian 's eyes as the front of the boat submerged under water and we all collectively scrambled towards the rear of the boat. Doug (d_c) handled it coolly, cut the motor, and laughed alongside everyone.
Watching teflon Doug and his many uncanny abilities, heal +10, sneak skill + 10, agility and dodge +10, luck +10, charisma +10.
Still can't help but laugh at this. Did the picture by chance get taken? It would be neat to have our collective terror captured digitally.

Edit: Can we all take a minute to appreciate that stellar recovery at 1:00 in on the video. Bravo self!

Last edited by sigma722; 02-21-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Great weekend and glad I was able to put faces to names. Doug's cooking never fails to impress me and Jon's passion for this hobby and local HT Community is really awesome. Thanks for Luke posting the sweeps. It made me realize that all my trim levels were wrong because I used my busted UMIK to calibrate the levels (DOH). Now it made more sense when @Mark Seaton said, "uh...you can turn it up a little..." So basically when I played demos at -8dB, it was really -13dB.

And finally, fitting the John Wick theme of the weekend, it's only appropriate that the 4000 can do so much damage by itself, just like Wick. (BTW, I think the character played by Ruby Rose aka Justine Bieber suffered severe hearing loss caused my 212's and the 4000. That part must have been edited out of the movie.)
post #1145 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3716 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Ok, I'm feeling better now..........****, this sucks.

So bummed I missed this one. Sounds like a great time was had for sure.

Next time .
thxman likes this.
post #1146 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Quoted: 3521 Post(s)
Liked: 3229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I'm going to be in St.Louis from 3/15-19 and I'm trying to find a way to make it over to KC.

@carp if you're around and I can somehow make it over there maybe we can take an impedance sweep of one of your cabs to see what kind of wiring/amp possibilities you have?
Just sent you a text!
post #1147 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
@carp , I can swing by next time I'm down in KC and take an impedance sweep, too.
carp likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #1148 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

@d_c ,

I want to get some of those songs off your Spotify playlist that we played on the 4000 ulf.

Mind posting a few of those in this thread?

Or here?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...on-day-37.html

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #1149 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Here's some more video of us out on the lake right before we almost went down with the ship.

post #1150 of 1408 Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl

Quote:
@d_c ,

I want to get some of those songs off your Spotify playlist that we played on the 4000 ulf.

Mind posting a few of those in this thread?

Or here?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...on-day-37.html

Search d_chappelow and go to my playlists on Spotify. Demo Tracks has all the good stuff on it. I usually add a couple of new ones every week. The ones listed first are my favorites.

It's going to be 77 tomorrow. My ass will be planted on the boat with a fishing pole in one hand, guaranteed. I'm also having my yard put back in place tomorrow since the Cap 4000ulf blew it out in to the street.

carp, popalock and HuskerOmaha like this.
post #1151 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Special thanks to all the KC crew who organized and hosted this. 1st time being to KC and it was a beautiful city. Great weather too.

1st crawl I ever attend and it was awesome . Are all crawl like this?...I hope so.

Everyone's home theaters were awesome to experience. @d_c the food was amazing, matter of fact your BBQ was better than Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que.

One of my favorite highlight was @carp demo of John Wick... that was awesome, amazing and intense

@Jeff Permanian your Cap 4000ULF was awesome ,matter of fact your Cap 4000ULF was so awesome that i might trade up my 4 OS for 2 Cap 4000ULF . @Mark Seaton your new speakers looks amazing and i love the design of them. @Stoked21 thanks for showing me and dominguez1 your electrostats they sound amazing.

Special thanks to @Archaea for making KC Crawl possible.

One again thanks all.

Femi
Archaea and Jeff Permanian like this.

Last edited by femi; 02-22-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #1152 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I would like to echo much of what others have already written.

I can't remember who suggested to me to try a Boulevard Wheat when my go to Blue Moon wasn't available but THANKS!

Chuck, thank you for opening up your place Friday evening after JW2! It was the perfect venue for people reacquainting with one another.

I really appreciate the hospitality extended at each stop and each theater was unique. You all have spaces you should be proud of!

Doug, the food was fantastic! I had a great lunch Friday at Q39 but I actually preferred what you made! Top notch! Can you post your recipe for that corn dish you made? Hope the bruises created by Jeff's Cap 4000ULF in your basement are healing up! Just ridiculous, violent output!!

Derek, a special thanks to you for hosting the "post crawl" get together for those still standing after a long day of experiencing great theaters.

Jeff Permanian, Mark Seaton, Mike Garrett and Michael Boeker thanks for bringing all the "toys" from projectors, speakers, subwoofers (if that is what you want to call that home wrecker) and especially your knowledge and passion for the trade.

Thanks again to everybody who made the effort to attend. It was nice to finally put some faces with the names, catch up with some old friends, and make some new ones.

Brad
Archaea and Jeff Permanian like this.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Velodyne SMS-1 |(3)Emotiva XPA-100 |(2) Emotiva XPA-5 |Emotiva UPA-7 |(3) Crown XLS1002 | (3) JTR Triple 8’s | (6) Triad InWall Silver/4’s | (4) Triad InCeiling Gold/6 Omni’s | (3) Danley DTS-10’s | JVC DLA-RS500U | Seymour F130XB140.8” 2.40 | Samsung UBD-K8500 | Oppo BDP-95 | 4K Direct TV | Dennis Erskine Design (excluding ATMOS) | High Impact AV Calibration
post #1153 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
The great thing about this past weekend was it was big enough that you had to rely partially on others to get all of the stories and activities in. I had an awesome time, and I’d like to bust out one more slow clap for Jon. Truly an awesome effort, and his slight needling to make sure people are bringing their A game went a long way to make this event special.

Friday night was a great start. I was one of the few who decided to torture their significant other and bring them to the film and Chuck’s. She didn’t mind the movie, but she liked the first John Wick better for the characters and built up breathing room in between scenes. She had a great time at Chuck’s. (thanks again sir!) She also joked that our crowd may have a diversity problem. LOL. Guilty as charged.

Saturday was great fun. I made it over to d_c’s for the BBQ fest. I hadn’t been there before and all I could do was laugh when I saw the great white cube of bass. Just, seriously man? Too awesome. ^_^ (Although the way d_c has it set up, apparently it barely gets beat up and the ceiling subs continue to do the major lifting.) Of note, the meat in the beans… damn, damn, damn. Fond memories there! It was also great chatting with your wife d_c. She’s awesome. She mentioned you used to try your hand at graphic design, I had no idea! I had to book it back home to get ready for my crawl attendees and apparently missed the 4000ULF demo by all of 5 minutes. Dang it. Such is life.

The attendees coming through were all fun to talk to for the brief time we had together. An apology to group B. I rushed them into the theater because I thought there was a second half coming, and I’m an ‘on time nazi’ at heart. Turns out, their group had shrunk a bit, and there was no second half of the group to demo to, so we could’ve taken our sweet time. I think Jeff was wearing a face like, dude, what’s your rush man? Are you coked up or something? Sorry about that guys! And sorry Luke for not having anything that plays a CD in the theater. Although I suppose the XBOX would have, so stupid me for not thinking of that obvious answer. Oi!

Outside of chuck and d_c I wasn’t able to experience anyone’s theater systems over the weekend. Kevin’s (childsplay) is still the only theater in the KC area I’ve actually watched a movie in besides my own. I think that’s why Jon still has me on the ‘not that active’ KC movie nights list. ^_^

Sunday was another great day. I was first to Carp’s house. I actually thought I was at the wrong place at first since no one else was there yet. I drove by twice wondering if I was misremembering where he lived or if I had the time wrong. Then Carp stumbled out of his house like a zombie and waved me down assuring me I was in the right place and everyone else was still recovering from the day before (Or the morning of for some).

Weather was so nice! Sitting on Carp’s deck stealing some of his wife’s coffee was an awesome time before the 4000 came in and bulldozed the place. The temp demo speaker setup was probably a bit too aggressive and harsh for me (SPLs quickly wreck my hearing, so I’ll never be the SPL hound some others are) but it sounds like some of that may be some characteristics of the playback chain or calibration. It felt harsh but muffled to me. Sounds like Carp wants people back over there to re-experience things as it’s all good now. Good to know.

@Mark Seaton Thanks for the quick download for ideas on sub placement as I try to build another theater. I’m gonna give the four corner subs and seats in the 1/3 zones as good a try as I can to avoid a bandaid sub calibration visit. First time meeting you and loved the positive energy vibes. ^_^

Monday was a great time too. Kim was a real trooper making it through the entire weekend. I hope it wasn’t too crazy for her. The brew tour was fun and even more BBQ after the fact was a great way to end things. Branden's reaction eating that rib was priceless. One of the most pig in mud moments ever.

A few additional notes:

@dominguez1 Love that you’re bringing another measurement of objectivity in how we perceive audio. This group in particular I think appreciates this metric.

@sassuki Thanks again for bringing the shirts down, sir. Sorry we had so little face time in the end!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crawl-9.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1986065   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawl-8.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	1986073   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawl-7.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	1986081   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawl-6.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	1986089   Click image for larger version

Name:	crawl-5.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	1986097  

Last edited by chirpie; 02-22-2017 at 12:16 PM.
post #1154 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
I'm very slowly catching up to all this post-meet discussion. So much to soak in.

Still catching up with office work so I'll post more later but I wanted to thank all our gracious hosts this weekend for letting us internet randoms into your homes.

Quick shouts of big thanks to our hosts: @Archaea @carp @chirpie @ChldsPlay @cvinfig @d_c @JDontee @jedimastergrant @Stoked21

Special thanks to @carp for having me over all weekend and to @lilmike for driving me around for most of the weekend.

Will come back and expand on this about the meet. We all had so much fun! The great memories I brought home with me.

Loved seeing you guys again and omg! how awesome it was to meet more friends that I hadn't met in person yet. You are all as awesome in person as you have been since ever.

Love you guys.
post #1155 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I'm very slowly catching up to all this post-meet discussion. So much to soak in.

Still catching up with office work so I'll post more later but I wanted to thank all our gracious hosts this weekend for letting us internet randoms into your homes.

Quick shouts of big thanks to our hosts: @Archaea @carp @chirpie @ChldsPlay @cvinfig @d_c @JDontee @jedimastergrant @Stoked21

Special thanks to @carp for having me over all weekend and to @lilmike for driving me around for most of the weekend.

Will come back and expand on this about the meet. We all had so much fun! The great memories I brought home with me.

Loved seeing you guys again and omg! how awesome it was to meet more friends that I hadn't met in person yet. You are all as awesome in person as you have been since ever.

Love you guys.

I'm still bummed that you and I didn't get to play around with the system. Before hand I thought we would have all this down time but then when the time finally
came Sunday night I went old man and was too tired! Oh well.. next time!!
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #1156 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

So many faces to see this weekend that it was barely enough time to say hello and goodbye to everyone! It was great seeing you again this time vs that rushed in and out of the last visit. You were so chill on Carp's deck Sunday morning that I assumed it was a reaaaaally late evening the night before. lol
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #1157 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm still bummed that you and I didn't get to play around with the system. Before hand I thought we would have all this down time but then when the time finally
came Sunday night I went old man and was too tired! Oh well.. next time!!
I'm a little bummed we didn't get to do this either!! For a couple benjies to get out there, I foresee my next visit not being too far out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Monday was a great time too. Kim was a real trooper making it through the entire weekend. I hope it wasn’t too crazy for her. The brew tour was fun and even more BBQ after the fact was a great way to end things. Branden's reaction eating that rib was priceless. One of the most pig in mud moments ever.
Not to mention the excellent quad I was sipping to wash it down. That meal crested my top 10 list of all time. I'm still paying for it however.
Scott Simonian and chirpie like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1158 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Burnt Ends. Yum.
dgage and Mike Garrett like this.
post #1159 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM

I did some testing on John Wick just now, comparing my 8 sealed with the Cap 4000.

I ran the scene a few times, sitting in the main seat and also walking around the room. Here is how they were setup compared to each other, the black line is the 4000 as you would have guessed from the 10hz tuning:

I ran the scene 3 db's under reference, which is where I was at for the demo's.

Wow, the 4000 is impressive. It's a very similar experience between the 2. However, I just felt more thwack/whomp with the 8 sealed by just a little bit, and also felt more of my hair moving, both arm hair and head hair - this was in the main seat. In the back of the room the difference was a little more clear with the advantage to the 8 sealed, just more feel to the gun shots.

So, I turned up the Cap 4000 so that it now looked like this in comparison to the 8 sealed:

I fired up the scene again. I couldn't tell any difference, so I think I was pretty close to the limits of the 4000 with the earlier setting.

Now, it's not a fair fight! My sealed are all pushed back up against the front wall, all stacked floor to ceiling and the 4000 is sitting on the side wall about a foot in front of the right side stack of subs with the driver facing the subs. So, if I moved the stack of subs and either put the 4000 all the way against the wall with the drivers facing the room or the drivers facing the wall it would be a different story. Sitting here thinking about it I have the suspicion that if I did fire these drivers in to the front corner like Jeff does I could take down the 8 sealed.

Also, I want to be clear that the bass sounded very similar. With the 4000 I still felt giddy with each gun shot, and if not done back to back I could have been fooled into thinking it was my 8 sealed playing.

Oh yeah, and for both I had my nearfield sub off and Crowson off.

Also, I tried to go a little louder with the sealed and my breaker blew. When I tried to go louder with the 4000 nothing happened - no breakers, no bad sounds, nothing - it just didn't have anymore impact than it did before I turned it up. So that's a nice feature - instead of being amp limited, or driver limited, or breaker limited (like I am) you are no consequences/you won't get anymore volume out of it limited with the 4000. Yes, I understand that I am very much amp limited but I like to think of it as breaker limited since I can't do any damage to the amp, the breaker trips first.

I should have done the comparison Sunday. Everyone had me scared for my house with the impressions of how nuts the 4000 is from Derek's and especially Doug's! They were all right of course it is nuts, but I don't think it can do anymore damage to my house than I've already done. It would have been fun to do a bunch of scenes back to back with each sub(s).

BTW, I thought I had a broken omnimic because recently everything was dropping off like a rock under 20 hz. However, I recently downloaded the new software and all looks normal again. Someone at the Crawl was asking if I could come do measurements and I said I think my mic was broken but I can't remember who it was. @jedimastergrant was that you? I'll text to to make sure.
post #1160 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Also, this was hardly conclusive because it was just one scene. If I put in something with lots of output in the teens who knows how it would go. If I get time tomorrow I might try out bass I love you because it has that long drawn out 17 hz centered tone. That quick hitting 8hz tone shouldn't hurt anything on the 4000 should it? I'm sure Jeff has filters in place to protect the drivers.
post #1161 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@carp ,
Out of curiosity, could you give more details on the sound differences between sealed and ported w/the 10hz tune?

For sealed vs ported with higher tuned ports, I've noticed some pretty significant differences. Mainly that there was much more detail with sealed at 20hz and the sealed seemed to have a lot tighter kick/impulse response. The extra detail with sealed makes me feel more like I am there and less like I am listening to an LFE track.

I've always wondered if those differences go away in a sub that is tuned low enough.
post #1162 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
@carp ,
Out of curiosity, could you give more details on the sound differences between sealed and ported w/the 10hz tune?

For sealed vs ported with higher tuned ports, I've noticed some pretty significant differences. Mainly that there was much more detail with sealed at 20hz and the sealed seemed to have a lot tighter kick/impulse response. The extra detail with sealed makes me feel more like I am there and less like I am listening to an LFE track.

I've always wondered if those differences go away in a sub that is tuned low enough.

They must go away, the bass was very, very similar. I did feel like the club music was a bit tighter but that couldn't definitely be attributed to the fact that my sealed are better integtrated with my speakers, and the 4000 hasn't been.

At 20 hz specifically (or around that)? Nothing that I could tell from that scene. I'll know more tomorrow when I try bass I love you or some other movie scenes. Any scenes in particular I should try out?
rcohen likes this.
post #1163 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They must go away, the bass was very, very similar. I did feel like the club music was a bit tighter but that couldn't definitely be attributed to the fact that my sealed are better integtrated with my speakers, and the 4000 hasn't been.

At 20 hz specifically (or around that)? Nothing that I could tell from that scene. I'll know more tomorrow when I try bass I love you or some other movie scenes. Any scenes in particular I should try out?
Here's one, if you have it:

The Incredibles, when giant boulder robot is rolling after Mr. Incredible around the island.
Is it a rumble, or can you feel individual bumps and cracks on the ground?
post #1164 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Here's one, if you have it:

The Incredibles, when giant boulder robot is rolling after Mr. Incredible around the island.
Is it a rumble, or can you feel individual bumps and cracks on the ground?
I don't think I have that, but it may be one of the clips that Jonathan gave me, he gave me a ton. If I don't have it is there anything else you can think of?
post #1165 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think I have that, but it may be one of the clips that Jonathan gave me, he gave me a ton. If I don't have it is there anything else you can think of?
Well, that was the biggest difference when I was A/B testing a couple years ago when comparing Rythmik FV15HPs and F25s. Referring back to their web site, the FV15HP has a selectable 12hz/18hz tune.

Aside from that, a big difference was kick drums sounding tighter in sealed, especially tight electronic ones.

But, for the hell of it, how about comparing the opening to Edge of Tomorrow.

I'm not shopping for subs - just generally curious.
So, don't worry about these requests, unless you're interested, too.
post #1166 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
@carp ...

Can I give you a quick tutorial on getting a TR reading? Would love to see how the 4000 compares to the 8 sealed...especially around tune.

The white noise clip from 0-50hz would do...

I could get you setup and you could be taking TR readings in 10 minutes. Maybe @Archaea can join...and bring over that sugar.
post #1167 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Well, that was the biggest difference when I was A/B testing a couple years ago when comparing Rythmik FV15HPs and F25s. Referring back to their web site, the FV15HP has a selectable 12hz/18hz tune.

Aside from that, a big difference was kick drums sounding tighter in sealed, especially tight electronic ones.

But, for the hell of it, how about comparing the opening to Edge of Tomorrow.

I'm not shopping for subs - just generally curious.
So, don't worry about these requests, unless you're interested, too.

I definitely am interested and will see if I have The Incredibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
@carp ...

Can I give you a quick tutorial on getting a TR reading? Would love to see how the 4000 compares to the 8 sealed...especially around tune.

The white noise clip from 0-50hz would do...

I could get you setup and you could be taking TR readings in 10 minutes. Maybe @Archaea can join...and bring over that sugar.

Sure, I'm very interested in that too! I think it would be very interesting, especially because the 2 subs are calibrated dead even at 10hz right now. Can we talk tomorrow evening? I'll text you.

For anyone that's curious, here is how much boost I give my sealed subs for my "John Wick" curve. I use that curve quite often, not just for JW. I thought it might be close to the curve of the 4000 but I didn't think it would be THAT close.

rcohen and dominguez1 like this.
post #1168 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 881
So just how awesome was that HT Crawl!

Fun times for sure.

Just got home an hour ago, and wanted to give a BIG THANK-YOU to all the hosts.
chirpie, Archaea, BRAD S and 1 others like this.
post #1169 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I packed up @Mike Garrett 's JVC RS600 tonight and hung my Panasonic AE8000U back up. I was hoping I wouldn't be too disappointed going back.
Hoping, but as you might expect, yes disappointed. I must admit there's really no comparison now back on the Panasonic...
Man, that JVC is nice. Significantly brighter AND significantly better black levels with the JVC RS600.
Thanks for offering to let us demo the unit on the crawl, Mike. That was a treat for everyone, and it clearly eliminated my personal skepticism on whether a newer projector would be that noticeable or not. It's EASILY noticeable and a clear improvement. I wish I had some 4k material to demo through it so we could have really seen the JVC for all she was worth - but even the 1080p media still looked absolutely fantastic on that RS600 IMO.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-22-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #1170 of 1408 Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12037 Post(s)
Liked: 9572
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I packed up @Mike Garrett 's JVC RS600 tonight and hung my Panasonic AE8000U back up. I was hoping I wouldn't be too disappointed going back.
Hoping, but as you might expect, yes disappointed. I must admit there's really no comparison now back on the Panasonic...
Man, that JVC is nice. Significantly brighter AND significantly better black levels with the JVC RS600.
Thanks for offering to let us demo the unit on the crawl, Mike. That was a treat for everyone, and it clearly eliminated my personal skepticism on whether a newer projector would be that noticeable or not. It's EASILY noticeable and a clear improvement. I wish I had some 4k material to demo through it so we could have really seen what it the JVC for all she was worth - but the 1080p media I played still looked absolutely fantastic IMO.
You are welcome. The 600 looked good on your screen. The RS400, RS500 and RS600 are great projectors, especially at the close out prices.
carp, Archaea and stitch1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page