February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #91 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
BTW --- To those of you who responded back to PMs with I'd love to come, but I'll have to check my schedule. Pshhhh. We are on to you.
No WAY you have something scheduled four months out, over Presidents day weekend, next year. That's why we put it four months out, over Presidents day weekend, next year.

You can decide with no standing conflict that THIS is what you are doing.
February in Kansas City ... isn't that your busy tourist season?

It does sound like an interesting time and I would like to meet some (not all) of the attendees but unfortunately it's my 3rd cousin's, second child's bar mitzvah that weekend. If it isn't too much of an inconvenience, please switch the dates to the following weekend and I'll see if maybe I can make that date.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
What he ^^^^^ meant to say was "I am in!"
RMK! likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #93 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
@RMK!

I suspect you are joking! (third cousin and all)
If not, no I can't switch the dates. We already have way too much alignment among hosts, and guests......and several people (with much lauded initiative and foresight ) have already bought their plane tickets.

The date selected is in stone.

If a host or two has to drop out for some reason over the coming months - other KC hosts will fill in their place. We will try to ensure at least 10 theaters are available to host a demo. We have the quantity (and quality) of enthusiasts and excellent home theaters around these parts to make that happen.

@COACH2369

As to Sunday night - it appears there may be some people tentatively making plans to drive up to Des Moines and visit dlbecks theater. (3 ish hour drive). dlbeck's "Savoy" home theater is simply the best home theater experience I've had - and I've never heard anyone say otherwise from their experiences.

Some folk will probably fly home Sunday afternoon - and still some will stay in KC for an extra night - visiting additional optional or forthcoming volunteer theaters through the end of Sunday or participating in some sort of smaller blind audio test that Gorilla83 may be dreaming up(TBD)? or maybe simply heading to O'Malley's together to share a drink on Sunday night before flying out sometime on Monday.
http://www.westonirish.com/OMALLEYS.html

Lots of options - but one firm weekend date.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 10-25-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
February in Kansas City ... isn't that your busy tourist season?

It does sound like an interesting time and I would like to meet some (not all) of the attendees but unfortunately it's my 3rd cousin's, second child's bar mitzvah that weekend. If it isn't too much of an inconvenience, please switch the dates to the following weekend and I'll see if maybe I can make that date.
Wussy!!!

My company now gives us Presidents' Day off. So I'll be hanging by the pool or in the theater Monday. Guess which one!
post #95 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post
AVR or Pre-Pro - Denon 4520
Speakers - Klipsch KPT-904M for LCR KPT-100 for surround and surround backs.
Speaker Amplifiers - N/A
Video Source/Screen - Panny 8000, 138" elite 2.35 frame with the 4k material they offer.
Subwoofers - 8 Stereo Integrity HT-18's in 4 CuFt sealed enclosures.
Subwoofer Amplifiers - 2 inuke 6000DSP's
Accoustic Treatments - 2x4 acoustimac panels with dmd black fabric at first reflection points.
Transducers - N/A
Lighting and/or Control System -horrible lighting with switches LOL
HTPC Software -what are these?
Bluray Player - PS3
Atmos and/or DTS-X - N/A

jonathon, since i have not talked to you on the phone yet, i will just go ahead on here. i dont want you to make any extra effort to figure out my room into the mix. we have the baby due in january. i MOST likely will be switching shifts to avoid over priced daycare for a while. my new shift will be thursday through sunday, which would require me to take two days off of work for this. it just seems like more hassle than its worth this year. but i aint going anywhere so possibly next year i can get in on this. I'm sure you re gonna make it a yearly deal and plenty of attendees will always be coming.

what i can offer is, if there is a few (like coach whom i met first on the klipsch forum) want to stay till monday, some guys are more than welcome to come up to my place on monday. i can take my son to my dad who is in town for a bit while i demo stuff. i know he was one that always wanted to hear the klipsch cinema gear. not sure how many others want to. can't guarantee once we buy a house that i will have the klipsch cinema stuff forever.

let me know your thoughts please.

Your call, my friend.

I do know there is stated interest in having your theater and the Klipsch cinema gear in the mix, but no pressure. We have some other rooms that can come forward and volunteer and like you say you could organize a private session on Sunday evening or Monday for those interested. I also considered -just spitballing if the guys going north to dlbecks' theater on Sunday evening might stop by your place on the way up or back? Still four months out - we can settle all of this out in time!

We'll perhaps do this again - probably not every year - but every 2nd or third year maybe? First time we did it was in 2015. At some point it becomes more about getting together with old friends than about new audio/video. (I think I'm there now -- I'm really looking forward to visiting again with some of the guys planning to attend who I met at other meets or who have also been g2g hosts).
post #96 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
@RMK!
I suspect you are joking! (third cousin and all)
I was joking in a I wish I could do this trip but can't sort of a way. Having organized much smaller scope GTG's in the past, I know what a PITA it can be with squishy commitments. Good on you for doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Wussy!!!
Guilty as charged.
Stoked21 likes this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #97 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Hey, KC crew, Coach2369 wanted to make sure one of the locals brings Frozen to this GTG. Said it's his favorite demo disc. He prefers the collector's edition with the directors cut. If not, he has 8 copies and can bring an extra.

Thanks
dgage and Archaea like this.
post #98 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
I've got him covered. We can follow it up with Tangled.
post #99 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I will bring my Justin Bieber demo material!

(For those who weren't in the first group of the Central IA HT crawl, I went to switch sources on my AVR and accidentally hit the Bluetooth source...which was paired with my daughter's iPhone and she happened to be Biebin' it up...talk about panic at the disco...)

As well as visiting the Savoy, I am hoping to at least have my theater framed around then and maybe even have started wiring/drywalling. So we could have some folks over to check out my ongoing project and plan.
I live just down the street from @dlbeck

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #100 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Your daughter's phone... mmmhmmm... right.
Frohlich and Stoked21 like this.
post #101 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Wussy!!!

My company now gives us Presidents' Day off. So I'll be hanging by the pool or in the theater Monday. Guess which one!
I had to think about that comment for a quick second...thought, man does this guy have a heated or indoor pool and a kick a** home theater? If so, I want a room at this resort.

Quote:
Your call, my friend.

I do know there is stated interest in having your theater and the Klipsch cinema gear in the mix, but no pressure. We have some other rooms that can come forward and volunteer and like you say you could organize a private session on Sunday evening or Monday for those interested. I also considered -just spitballing if the guys going north to dlbecks' theater on Sunday evening might stop by your place on the way up or back? Still four months out - we can settle all of this out in time!

We'll perhaps do this again - probably not every year - but every 2nd or third year maybe? First time we did it was in 2015. At some point it becomes more about getting together with old friends than about new audio/video. (I think I'm there now -- I'm really looking forward to visiting again with some of the guys planning to attend who I met at other meets or who have also been g2g hosts).
I would love to see his place, but can understand 100% how hectic it could be for him and a newborn. My buddy just went through this and the first month was crazy. If you do open up your place either Saturday/Sunday or Monday, I will do my best to come by and hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Hey, KC crew, Coach2369 wanted to make sure one of the locals brings Frozen to this GTG. Said it's his favorite demo disc. He prefers the collector's edition with the directors cut. If not, he has 8 copies and can bring an extra.

Thanks

Can't tell you anything......guess he is still a little upset over the Penn State Saturday night.
Frohlich likes this.
post #102 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I will bring my Justin Bieber demo material!

Archaea has the corner on Biebs in KC!

Since my room isn't really a "theater," do you guys want to use my place as a lunch or dinner stop for BBQ like last time? We can eat and drink beer while checking out some demos
post #103 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I know we are all getting a bit older and our tastes are leaning more and more from room temperature Miller High Life to fine wine, but...

Wtf is wine?! You better watch yer mouth mister
popalock likes this.
post #104 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Man looking at the attendee list a question came up, is the Iowa scene just bigger? Seems we have a lot more people.
post #105 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
Man looking at the attendee list a question came up, is the Iowa scene just bigger? Seems we have a lot more people.
I see 4 from Iowa and 14 from KC. There are 3 from Omaha on the list, too.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #106 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
The K.C group is "legendary" on AVS....

It is like they try to out do one another....and the rest of us get to reap the benefits.
carp and Stoked21 like this.
post #107 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
At the 2015 KC crawl we had something like 35 people total if I remember right, the vast majority were from here. I'm sure many home town guys will be attending and just haven't confirmed yet, but there may be some that don't want to go to some of the same rooms again - that's what's nice though, we have a lot of new rooms this time around.

It was pretty crazy at Doug's, packing that many people in his house at once for some unbelievably good BBQ and bass that was almost as good.

Doug, glad to hear you are up for doing that again, I think that was the highlight for most.

Not to say that the group in Iowa isn't awesome!! I went to the last tour and have been to Davids GTG's numerous times - and as others have said he has the best HT I have ever experienced.
post #108 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Thanks
I bet @beastaudio will bring his kick ass Gene Autry demo disc!!!!!!!

post #109 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

ha. Sheldon, you and Doug both said like 30+ people in 2015 in separate conversations today. That seems high to me.

I thought the 2015 meet was in the high teens for actual attendees that showed up. Of 23 originally committed.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post31863961

This event in 2017 has potential to be twice as large I think. We are still four months out and have 30+ committed now. Dougs food is fantastic!!! but that is a LOT of people to feed. I'll not complain though if Doug is up to the challenge. Just want to make sure he knows what he's getting into.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #110 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
ha. Sheldon, you and Doug both said like 30+ people in 2015 in separate conversations today. That seems high to me.

I thought the 2015 meet was in the high teens for actual attendees that showed up. Of 23 originally committed.

This event in 2017 has potential to be twice as large I think. We are still four months out and have 30+ committed now. Dougs food is fantastic!!! but that is a LOT of people to feed. I'll not complain though if Doug is up to the challenge. Just want to make sure he knows what he's getting into.
Way more than high teens. I had more than 10 people (so over 20 total, probably around 22 for both demos) in my house for each of the back to back demo's and quite a few did not come to my house.

Last edited by carp; 10-25-2016 at 07:25 PM.
post #111 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:

That list has 28 including us. There were more there that aren't on that list, I remember Doug had a some friends and I think there were others that aren't on that link. I'm telling you, we should have done a head count at Doug's. Upper teens... psshhh....

Last edited by carp; 10-25-2016 at 07:25 PM.
post #112 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If dreamers who can't contribute much are welcome, I would love to attend. I attended with you, Archaea, in Omaha, a couple of years ago. That was a great time!!! I live a little over an hour from Gardner and have a crew cab Silverado. I used to live in Shawnee and know the areas pretty well. I may be able to help drive people.

If it snows, I won't make it as I will lose too much money. Also, my regular job is sporadic, but I should know a few weeks out, if I am a go, and to what extent.
Archaea likes this.

post #113 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your daughter's phone... mmmhmmm... right.
Says the guy who personifies "Bieber Fever"...

post #114 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I think what @slarity was referring to is our 2015 central IA crawl had quite a few attendees...

But that was also the end product...this is still early on in the process. A lot of you guys came up here too.

The central US has a good showing because we Midwesterners tend to be more...uh...frugal and do a bunch of DIY compared to our coastal brethren who favor the more commercial builder end of the spectrum. I think that's why it seems like we (in the central US) seem to have a larger than "normal" active population in the hobby.

post #115 of 1408 Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 630
So, would any of the KC peeps be interested in helping me try to eliminate the rattles in my ceiling speakers before February?

It's only with content with intense activity in the ceiling speakers, so it's not that often, but I'd still like to figure out a way to deal with it. Removing the speakers might be difficult though, the last time I tried I could only get the clamps to release on two of them.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #116 of 1408 Old 10-26-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I had to think about that comment for a quick second...thought, man does this guy have a heated or indoor pool and a kick a** home theater? If so, I want a room at this resort.
l
The pool is already antifreeze and covered!!!! But if u want to jump in I'll pull the cover back!!
post #117 of 1408 Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't want to go to dougs.

He only has two subs in the ceiling. Any respectabke theater would have at least 3-4 subs in the vaulted ceiling. If not they need to have at least one or two 24s in the corner too.

Oh wait....
Archaea likes this.
post #118 of 1408 Old 10-26-2016, 07:13 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Luke tried to tell me that I needed Othorns in the ceiling when I was constructing the room but I didn't listen. Stupid me. Othorns in there would have been soooooo nice
post #119 of 1408 Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Luke tried to tell me that I needed Othorns in the ceiling when I was constructing the room but I didn't listen. Stupid me. Othorns in there would have been soooooo nice
If you would have gone IB in the floor with some 24's, then you would already have subs done for the theater.
Archaea likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #120 of 1408 Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I bet @beastaudio will bring his kick ass Gene Autry demo disc!!!!!!!
Can't let a dead dog lie can you? I refuse to bring that disc as added weight on my carry on.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page