February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #1201 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
A freaking......John Wick.......house curve."

I think a new standard for house curves has been set. I fear that if I don't institute this curve my membership to The Continental will be rescinded!
A description of this curve would be appreciated.

Besides friggen' awesome, that is.
How does it sound with other material?

And, since it doesn't seem to be on a demo disc yet, the John Wick club scene:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dstm3dbyvc2a4zx/jw.m2ts?dl=0

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 02-26-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
A description of this curve would be appreciated.

Besides friggen' awesome, that is.
How does it sound with other material?

And, since it doesn't seem to be on a demo disc yet, the John Wick club scene:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dstm3dbyvc2a4zx/jw.m2ts?dl=0

Michael
I got a lot of chuckles when changing curves on the mini 2x4 about the names of my curves. People liked the name, "closer to accurate bass" curve in the music folder. The "John Wick" curve sounds like it would be a crazy low end curve, but it's not. It's actually much closer to flat than my other curves which means it has a lot more output in the 30-80 hz range. I use it a lot, not just for John Wick but it just so happened that I didn't use it in any of the other clips with the exception of group B that saw the Act of Valor clip.

I can take some omnimic sweeps later today if I get a chance and show the difference in curves.

The JW curve has 8 db's of boost at 20 hz and 12 db's of boost at 10 hz. May sound like a lot, but it's really not since these are sealed subs and roll off a lot if I don't boost up the low end.

The curves I used for Sully, Lucy, The Shallows, and Raising Arizona had a 14 db boost at 20 hz and a 20 db boost at 10 hz. I use those when I really want more bass feel but less bass sound. I also use a lower overall volume with these than the JW curve.

I probably should have used the JW curve more, but I didn't want to burn out people's ears with bass since I knew they would be raw from all the other HT's.

Wow, last night we watched Hacksaw Ridge. I think that is the most impressive "demo" scene I've ever experienced. Talk about total sound immersion combined with massive bass - and that bass seemed to be coming from all directions. Amazing.
post #1203 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm trying to update the first and second post on the thread to kind of seal it in time for future reference with accurate information. I updated the attendee list in post 1 as best I know. (those who had to cancel, and those additional who added last minute). I haven't messed with post 2 yet.

I was also looking over the systems configs:

Did anyone besides @carp completely change their system in the few months before the crawl? (or change anything at all that isn't represented in post 1?)
@jedimastergrant , I know you changed subwoofers for the meet - were you using two OS LF for the meet?

Here is what Sheldon sent me via e-mail to post in December (I think it was December) Everything in Red font I know changed before the meet. Many of those characteristics changed 100%.

Sheldon - you have the record for the most 'liquid' home theater setup in Kansas City, and there is no second place.

carp
AVR or Pre-Pro - Pioneer Elite vsx-53 from the stone ages.
Speakers - JTR 215 RT's mains, JTR 212 HTR center, Volt 10 LX's for side surrounds, eD cinema 6's for rear surrounds
Speaker Amplifiers - Crown xti 4002 for mains, Yamaha avr with pre outs for center and surrounds
Video Source/Screen - Epson 5040 w/ Elite 158" 2:25:1 AT screen with 4K material whatever that means.
Subwoofers - 9 SI HT 18 sealed subwoofers. 8 subs up front and 1 nearfield for MLP
Subwoofer Amplifiers - Honey Badger cause it doesn't give a sh*t if you beat the hell out of it for 3.5 years in 2 ohms Cerwin Vega CV - 5000 for the front subs, inuke 3000 bridged for the nearfield sub
Accoustic Treatments - Front wall 15 inches thick pink fluffy insulation from floor to ceiling between stacks of subwoofers, absorption GIK panels on ceiling, diffusion panels and more absorption panels in the laundry room next door waiting for either someone to buy them or for their idiot owner to figure out where they should go in the room.
Transducers - 1 Crowson
Lighting and/or Control System - N/A
HTPC Software - Minidsp 88A with Dirac and 88BM
Bluray Player - run of the mill Sony for 90 bucks
Atmos and/or DTS-X - No, that sh*t's overrated and will be here today and gone tomorrow errr… I mean I can't afford it right now
Other - carpet is new and makes me feel giddy inside when I rub my toes on it's plushiness. Chairs in front row are Manhattans from Row One and 2 Costco HT chairs that are really nice for being Costco chairs. 2nd row couch may be the most comfortable napping couch ever. In fact I'm dozing off as I type this.

The part in blue above is still the same with the only difference being that I took the ceiling panels down.

It would seem I changed all for the GTG but that's not really the case. I put my LRC up for sale in July because I wanted to finally go Atmos and get the new Epson projector. Going Atmos meant buying all the scs8's and a new AVR, and getting the e shift projector meant getting a 4k player.

The LCR finally sold in the first week of November and that's when the spending frenzy ensued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Wow, last night we watched Hacksaw Ridge. I think that is the most impressive "demo" scene I've ever experienced.
Thanks. Added to queue (and to list for next demo disc ).
Eager to see the curves. I'm sure they will prompt a lot of discussion.
Michael

post #1205 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
As promised. First shot on HT liquidation to crawl guys

So officially liquidating my HT before my move. EVERYTHING is for sale.
Speakers, Dirac 88A, PJ, Screen, amps, subs, Prepro, chairs, riser, decorations (film cells, posters, etc), speaker stands, GIK acoustic treatments.
It's going to take a while for me to post everything, but I figured I'd hit some big items here now.

As you all know, I started my theater build in late Nov 2015 and finished in March 2016. So everything is about 10-16 months old.
I'm willing to ship but prefer not to on speakers cus 1) shipping won't be cheap and 2) I would have to box and pack everything. We can negotiate on that.

As for everything else, I have maintained original boxes and can easily ship in them.

JTR S8 (Pair): $1300 local
JTR S8LP (Pair): $1300 local
JTR Slant8 LP (2 pairs): $1300/pair local
JTR 228HT (3 new models): $900 each local
JTR Cap 1400 (2 each): $1300 each local
JVC RS400 with brand new extra bulb: $2500 + Ship.
miniDSP Dirac DDRC88A with bass mgmt (2 each): $750 plus ship each
Crown XLS1500 amps (9 each): $225 each plus ship
Marantz AV7702mkII: $1100 plus ship
Seymour UF 130"W 2.35 6 piece frame screen: $1000 local
Panamax M5400-PM: $350 plus ship
DIY sealed Dayton UM18-22 sub: $200
Two ported, white, dual Infinity 1262W with Yung 300W Class D plate amps: $200 each local

More to come. PM me if interested in anything. Those local, just send me a text/call. All available to go right now.
If you want to see pics, please hit my build thread in signature....As many of you can attest, everything in working order.

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build

Last edited by Stoked21; 03-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #1206 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
In fairness Dom, I wasn't running my setup LOL! We did move that 4000 beast down there and my EQ was turned off! Glad you made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
@Stoked21

I really like the layout of your room. You turned a multipurpose basement, and created a dedicated theater space that looked the part of a high end theater. I really like the design from the curtains, to the matching acoustic panels, theater rope, etc. Great looking room sir... Great dynamics and detail with the JTRs obviously...and great surrounds. Oh, and the electrostats were awesome as well.

Your TR was solid, and definitely had more in the rear row (MLP location) compared to the front row. I believe the lumpiness in your FR below 18hz was probably phase related; mixing ported and sealed...but the good news as that the phase issues likely created the strong TR you got between 10hz and 20hz. As far as FR goes, I don't think this was by design (as I know you mentioned something during the demo) but you're running your bass pretty hot from 50hz and below.

-Dom

In fairness Dom, I wasn't running my setup LOL! We did move that 4000 beast down there and my EQ was turned off! Glad you made it!

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build
post #1207 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 666
[quote=Archaea;51069193]I'm trying to update the first and second post on the thread to kind of seal it in time for future reference with accurate information. I updated the attendee list in post 1 as best I know. (those who had to cancel, and those additional who added last minute). I haven't messed with post 2 yet.

@jedimastergrant , I know you changed subwoofers for the meet - were you using two OS LF for the meet?

Yeah here is a list that I printed out for people to grab at the door because I never talked about equipment I just started demos. Then I forgot to make sure everyone had a copy so here it is. I don't think many people knew what it was they were seeing/hearing.

Yes, I had the two Orbit Shifter LF's in play for the meet. I was probably one of the very few who ran the bass flat during the demo and actually prefers the balance it provides but hey if all the theaters were the same there would be no point in going to all of them right?

You can just delete the stuff that you don't need at the bottom if it is too lengthy. I formatted it so it would all fit on one sheet.

Projector: JVC DILA RS 520
Mains: (3) JTR Noesis 212 HT's
Surrounds: Base Layer- (4) JTR S8 Slanted LP/Height Layer for Immersive Audio (4) JBL SCS 8
Subwoofers: (2) JTR Orbit Shifter LF/(1) JTR Orbit Shifter LFU/(2) JTR/Passive 2400 Captivators with EP4000
AVR/Amplification: Denon X7200wa/Behringer A500 for 2 immersive audio channels
EQ: DBX DriveRack PA2 for subwoofer integration
Sources: Oppo UDP 203/Samsung UBD K8500/TV-Google Fiber TV Box/PS4/XBox One/Wii U
Automation: Insteon Switches and Hub/Harmony Elite
Rack: MA ERK series
Screen: 2.35:1 EN4K with Seymour AV Frame and masking panels/9 ft wide (110")
Sound Isolation:
Walls: clips and channel on ceiling
clips and channel on rear wall that is connected to stairwell wall. Existing walls were naturally decoupled from the foundation, and walls that were built used staggered stud approach. All walls attached to ceiling joists using IB3's. Floor: 3/8'' serenity mat and 3/4'' plywood
HVAC: joist mufflers for supplies/return muffler.
Doors: Zero International Auto door bottoms (best seals)/Zero International door seals/Solid core 1 3/4'' then added layer of 3/4" mdf with green glue between/Double door system as well with another solid core door and DIY seals.
Lighting: Insteon Switches/12 cans in soffits inside of shell/rope light around soffit perimeter/4 step lights/4 Sconces.
Automation: Insteon dimmers for a total of 5 zones/Insteon Hub.
Dimensions: 15x19x8. There is a small "projector booth" behind the theater for my Rack and Projector so all equipment outside room.
Seating: Front row is 3 Berkline Director leather theater electric recliners at around 9' from the screen/Second row is a 3 seat Natuzzi leather couch with recliners and matching recliner beside it.
Sound Treatments: First Reflections-Quest Perfsorb/Side and Rear Walls- OC 705 2'' DIY panels/Front Wall-OC Select Sound Black 2'' with 3 mil poly/Riser-continuous cavity bass trap with pink fluffy/Ceiling-GIK 242 panels (3).
Stage: 1 ft tall and 5 ft deep. Sand filled. Do what I can to stop the Orbit Shifters from shaking the screen.
Projector Shelf: Outside of room to avoid heat and noise. Decided against a ceiling mount because of little feet in the kitchen above shaking the projector. I mounted a shelf to the walls with IB3 clips for decoupling and placed serenity matt on top of the shelf as well and no shaking so far.
post #1208 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Wow, last night we watched Hacksaw Ridge. I think that is the most impressive "demo" scene I've ever experienced. Talk about total sound immersion combined with massive bass - and that bass seemed to be coming from all directions. Amazing.
I agree - this movie is my go to demo movie now. Especially starting at 1:09. There are screen captures postesnin another thread and there is some extreme content below 10hz.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post51065537

Last edited by raynist; 02-26-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #1209 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Hey @jedimastergrant did you do the work in your room with door seals?

I was wondering if they are 100% air tight. I got the "best" Zero seal kits also(from Sound Proofing Company) and I cannot see how they can be 100% air tight. There are tiny gaps on each end at the bottom of the automatic door seal, there is no way possible they could be 100% air tight the way they are designed. For as much as they cost @#$%!!! I was disappointed.

I attached a pic, at the ends there if you shine a bright light and get down on the floor light comes thru at the ends because there needs to be a little gap to open and close the door. I even emailed the Sound Proofing Company and they said there needs to be 1/8 or 1/16" gap on each end. Well there is no way it can be air tight then, that I can see.

Doors: Zero International Auto door bottoms (best seals)/Zero International door seals/Solid core 1 3/4'' then added layer of 3/4" mdf with green glue between
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acoustic-Door-Seal-Header_Ink_LI.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1994809  

Last edited by bscool; 02-26-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #1210 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They want to make sure you don't suffocate.

post #1211 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Thanks. Added to queue (and to list for next demo disc ).
Eager to see the curves. I'm sure they will prompt a lot of discussion.
Michael

Nothing too special, because like I said I get so much roll off if in my room if I don't boost the low end a lot then there isn't much house curve. As you can see JW just has more of the higher bass and less of the lower. With those gun shots I prefer it that way. I ran both Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge with that curve.

JW is the black curve, the other one is what I use when things start sounding a little boomy but I still want a lot of low end. It is pretty cool for the John Wick clip too, just not as punchy.

post #1212 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Here is the difference with the measurments using the vibsensor app.

Thanks to Paulo for showing me how to use this, it's pretty cool!

Here is the 4000:

Here is the 8 sealed:

Here is a omnimic sweep of the 2 subs, I posted this earlier:

Well, Grant and a cross fit friend and I just loaded up the 4000 into Grant's van so it's gone. That thing absolutely SUCKS to move!! Wow, what a beast of a sub. The fact that it was a close match with 8 18's, corner loaded, says it all about this sub. It's scary. Before Grant came over I turned it around and faced the drivers and ports at my seat and it's so cool to feel that wind again! With the sealed I feel my hair and clothes move but I don't get a blast of wind!

For 3 grand the amount of bass you get is unreal. I used to think the Cap 2 sealed or Orbit Shifter was the best deal in non-DIY bass. No longer. It's easily the 4000.
Scott Simonian, popalock and d_c like this.
post #1213 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing too special, because like I said I get so much roll off if in my room if I don't boost the low end a lot then there isn't much house curve. As you can see JW just has more of the higher bass and less of the lower. With those gun shots I prefer it that way. I ran both Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge with that curve.

JW is the black curve, the other one is what I use when things start sounding a little boomy but I still want a lot of low end. It is pretty cool for the John Wick clip too, just not as punchy.
Carp what is the highest SPL you have ever hit or measured at 10 or 20hz in your room? Or haven't you ever checked?
post #1214 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
Carp what is the highest SPL you have ever hit or measured at 10 or 20hz in your room? Or haven't you ever checked?
I don't know. Nothing close to what guys like Luke can hit. I'd be afraid to find out.. I think the only way would be compression sweeps? Those suck!!
post #1215 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know. Nothing close to what guys like Luke can hit. I'd be afraid to find out.. I think the only way would be compression sweeps? Those suck!!
Yeah I know it is literally hard on everything, equipment, house, cracked sheetrock seems, stuff rattled off walls and shelves. Was just curious
post #1216 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As you can see JW just has more of the higher bass and less of the lower. With those gun shots I prefer it that way. I ran both Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge with that curve.

This is why there is interest now in mid-bass modules.
Got the low end covered, got the mid covered.
So who's going to be the first to get to 25KHz?

And before the whole lot of you chime in, I'm being facetious.
Michael

post #1217 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
I got the "best" Zero seal kits also(from Sound Proofing Company) and I cannot see how they can be 100% air tight. There are tiny gaps on each end at the bottom of the automatic door seal, there is no way possible they could be 100% air tight the way they are designed. For as much as they cost @#$%!!! I was disappointed.

I attached a pic, at the ends there if you shine a bright light and get down on the floor light comes thru at the ends because there needs to be a little gap to open and close the door. I even emailed the Sound Proofing Company and they said there needs to be 1/8 or 1/16" gap on each end. Well there is no way it can be air tight then, that I can see.
I discovered the same problem -- with the same sense of surprise. I used the Acoustical Surfaces door with the mortised drop. Very solid door but sound leaked at the bottom. So I added an extra bead of weatherstrip to contact the threshold.

Having learned that lesson, in my new theater I am using the same side/top seals, with a rubber seal mounted across the bottom of the door. It crosses the side seals at 90 deg, and contacts the threshold. Solves the problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Threshold seal crop.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1995513  

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #1218 of 1408 Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I discovered the same problem -- with the same sense of surprise. I used the Acoustical Surfaces door with the mortised drop. Very solid door but sound leaked at the bottom. So I added an extra bead of weatherstrip to contact the threshold.

Having learned that lesson, in my new theater I am using the same side/top seals, with a rubber seal mounted across the bottom of the door. It crosses the side seals at 90 deg, and contacts the threshold. Solves the problem.
Thank you, Ill have to keep that in mind when I get to finishing them. I haven't worked on my basement in months, after seeing the doors seals and other "bumps in the road" it literally about made me sick to my stomach. So expensive yet kind of a joke in some ways, I suppose it is harder to make something perfectly air tight than a person thinks. But supposedly being the best there is and I think I paid like $400+ per door for just the seals I was like

From the start, they kept stressing think of your room like a "fish" tank. Well, my f%*n fish is going to leak out the bottom of my doors
post #1219 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey @jedimastergrant did you do the work in your room with door seals?

I was wondering if they are 100% air tight. I got the "best" Zero seal kits also(from Sound Proofing Company) and I cannot see how they can be 100% air tight. There are tiny gaps on each end at the bottom of the automatic door seal, there is no way possible they could be 100% air tight the way they are designed. For as much as they cost @#$%!!! I was disappointed.

Doors: Zero International Auto door bottoms (best seals)/Zero International door seals/Solid core 1 3/4'' then added layer of 3/4" mdf with green glue between
For the money you do expect things to be 100 percent air tight. But, it doesn't quite happen that way. I feel your pain. In reality though there are many areas where you are forced to puncture your seal for HVAC and wiring or whatever so I don't rightly know how much the 0.25 mm space makes. But, I was paranoid about the same thing so I went ahead and did a double door system with a smaller solid core door and DIY seals. It works surprisingly well after testing it with my inner door open and just the DIY door closed. Not as good mind you. But, for the money it does ok. I think Roger has a good idea with putting an extra rubber seal at the bottom. It can only help matters. And then just replace it as it wears. I have since removed that outer door of the double door system as a stop gap measure to alleviate some of my HVAC woes and I only miss it when I am doing crazy bass SPL late at night with kids sleeping..............speaking of that let me make another post.
post #1220 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like carp said.

And just in time for the oscars!

Here is the Orbit Shifter LFU on the other side of the room.

My two Orbit Shifter LF's are still behind the screen minus the amps which are out for repair. I do not want to move my screen and the LF's so the LFU and the 4000 ULF will just be nice and cozy next to the MLP. The drivers are sitting about 5 feet away from the MLP so it should be fun. I was too busy setting up another toy last night to fire up the 4000 ULF.

Here it is.

My JVC does not play nice with HDR that is not sent as 4K apparently. They will need to remedy that. But, I went ahead and traded in my PS4 for PS4 Pro. After setting it up I discovered it does indeed pass HDR so I am a happy camper. It also solves the controller drop out issues I was getting by having all of my equipment outside of the room. It is a newer version of Blu Tooth and a newer controller design that can be wired if all else fails.

So more to come on a comparison of the Orbit Shifter LFU and the Captivator 4000 ULF soon.
post #1221 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Awe look at those big beast laying on the floor sleeping. They are so cute when they are a sleep.

Quote:
I also picked up Hacksaw Ridge after watching a little demo of it at Derek's place. So good!
Stoked21 likes this.
post #1222 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Okay okay! Stop yelling!!! :'(
Anyone know what song that was in video 3 here? It sounded really good live and I'd love to listen to it some more.

Edit/ didn't realize I was looking at 2 pages previous. Here is a link to the song I'm talking about.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1223 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarity View Post
Anyone know what song that was in video 3 here? It sounded really good live and I'd love to listen to it some more.

Edit/ didn't realize I was looking at 2 pages previous. Here is a link to the song I'm talking about.
https://youtu.be/OoETE8EyCNM

Bassotronics - Bass I Love You

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #1224 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Bass I Love You is also free on Amazon Prime or you can purchase the CD.

https://www.amazon.com/Bass-I-Love-You/dp/B004SARQ3C

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #1225 of 1408 Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bassotronics - Bass I Love You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw6GIEGpVdc
TYVM exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1226 of 1408 Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Below are the survey results.

As I mentioned before...definitely take these with a grain of salt for the following reasons:

• Different demo material in each room
  • Different seating positions - seat positions unknown
  • Different volume levels and how hot subs were ran
  • Subjective perception of what Midbass TR, ULF TR, and ULF PR should feel like
  • Not enough participants in survey

Having said that...from an overall room perspective, it generally matched some of the comments I heard there and have read on the thread. Nothing conclusive here by any means, but I think it works thematically (e.g. Carp and DC were the most tactile, etc).

I thought about trying to match up the Vibsensor readings...but those were all done at the MLP, so not really apples to apples.

***Also note: This was strictly about Tactile Response. This has nothing to do with Sound Quality, Overall Experience, Enjoyment, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Survey Results.PNG
Views:	436
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	1997793  
chirpie, dgage and Archaea like this.
post #1227 of 1408 Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Below are the survey results.

As I mentioned before...definitely take these with a grain of salt for the following reasons:

• Different demo material in each room
  • Different seating positions - seat positions unknown
  • Different volume levels and how hot subs were ran
  • Subjective perception of what Midbass TR, ULF TR, and ULF PR should feel like
  • Not enough participants in survey

Having said that...from an overall room perspective, it generally matched some of the comments I heard there and have read on the thread. Nothing conclusive here by any means, but I think it works thematically (e.g. Carp and DC were the most tactile, etc).

I thought about trying to match up the Vibsensor readings...but those were all done at the MLP, so not really apples to apples.

***Also note: This was strictly about Tactile Response. This has nothing to do with Sound Quality, Overall Experience, Enjoyment, etc.
I am new to a lot of the terminology you guys are using and am trying to catch up so I didn't know how to respond on the survey when I looked at it and as you said we were all moving around the city to try and get everywhere and in different seats so it was hard to get a great idea of what to put down for a survey.

For me being new to the group it was a lot fun and I learned a lot and realized my home theater does not have enough subs to even compete with any of the ones I seen on the crawl. I am suffering from bass envy, but my wife doesn't like a lot of bass so what I have right now is probably enough for now.

I thought they all were great, but a little different in each one which makes them each unique and is representative of the owners personality in a way. Now the 4000 was just plain sick and I could only standing being in the room for a little while before I had to get out of the room and go outside. Guess I am too old now.
dominguez1 likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #1228 of 1408 Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Now the 4000 was just plain sick and I could only standing being in the room for a little while before I had to get out of the room and go outside. Guess I am too old now.
I'll plead guilty to the old as well, but I think perhaps our thirst for bass doesn't extend quite as far as others, especially some around here, though apparently it goes further than your wife's.
I'm sure the crawl was a blast, but I, too, would spend most of it outside.
Michael

post #1229 of 1408 Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Group C will probably be scratching their heads at those results, because I didn't even do a heavy bass scene for them because we were pressed for time.

For me there are 2 rooms that stand out. Doug's and Jonathan's. In Doug's room the floor moves so much it feels like there is an earthquake. Jonathan's room actually managed to rattle my teeth. I'm not exaggerating. It didn't feel too good either so I wussed out and asked him to turn it down! This was on for Fury Road, he thought the bass was flat but it was because his omnimic is broken and he was actually 50 bazillion hot.

Ryan's room has a lot of feel!! I remember feeling my pants leg flap and getting a lot of tactile sensation and being in complete disbelief that he only had a single dual 12 SVS - the same one I used to own.
stitch1 and Ladeback like this.
post #1230 of 1408 Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Group C will probably be scratching their heads at those results, because I didn't even do a heavy bass scene for them because we were pressed for time.

For me there are 2 rooms that stand out. Doug's and Jonathan's. In Doug's room the floor moves so much it feels like there is an earthquake. Jonathan's room actually managed to rattle my teeth. I'm not exaggerating. It didn't feel too good either so I wussed out and asked him to turn it down! This was on for Fury Road, he thought the bass was flat but it was because his omnimic is broken and he was actually 50 bazillion hot.

Ryan's room has a lot of feel!! I remember feeling my pants leg flap and getting a lot of tactile sensation and being in complete disbelief that he only had a single dual 12 SVS - the same one I used to own.
I was in group C and Kevin's was where we started. I liked the bass in the and the room. I thought he had a sub under the riser or something, because I felt my pant leg move in his theater. Of course he said he didn't have any subs back there. Ryan's was also impressive especially with one 12' sub. Right now mine aren't set correctly at home or turned up much. Now carp the wall did sound pretty good when you played and I wish we could have stayed longer. At Grant's I liked the drum solo by Ginger Baker a lot. I am not sure much video was taken of the crawl since we were moving around so much. It would be cool to see some and next time I have to remember to do some. I did so some at Doug's upstairs when the 4000 came out to play.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page