February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,229
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
correct.

Not only that you've only been to one of the other home theaters in the area, but most of the regulars haven't experienced your place either!!! Which is a shame especially since everyone was raving about how well done your theater was on this crawl. I heard one guy say it was best of show candidate.
You'll have to admit, history bares that you surface about every 2 years. (2011 subwoofer meet, 2015 crawl, 2016 G2G in the park, 2017 crawl).
The guys marked active meet up more like...monthly.
Dang man, good memory! The only one you missed that I was at was the blind amp meet. But yeah, even once a year is pretty lousy.

Quote:
Chirpie, host a movie night for the rest of us KC hobbyists before you move out of your current house, and I'll bargain with you -- you'll get active status. (until you go into hiding again)
A send off for the room will be in order. lol.
Archaea and stitch1 like this.
chirpie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Lets put the JTR 4000 in your room where your SVS currently is.
carp, Archaea and JDontee like this.
stitch1 is offline  
post #1263 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,229
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Lets put the JTR 4000 in your room where your SVS currently is.
My highest compliment to that sub is the following: The idea of that sub in my room terrifies me.
stitch1 likes this.
chirpie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1264 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,776
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
As I understand it, Peak SPL is not an RMS metric...Meaning it is not over time and doesn't translate to what we hear.

I believe max SPL is the appropriate metric to use. In this case, 115.7db.
Right. That's why I said it is just for fun. OSHA SPL standards are based on max, although they are A weighted. However, peak is an indicator of how a system needs to be designed to playback at reference - before boosting bass with a house curve. Peak looks at the highest peak in the incoming FFT before it goes into an RTA for averaging. Calibration pink noise is bandwidth limited but a real signal that is full bandwidth, like John Wick, will have a high peak SPL.

Note that the measurement I showed is of the digital signal with REW calibrated for reference level an SMPTE RP-200 bandwidth limited pink noise signal. It isn't some arbitrary peak level in a room.

For CEA-2010 testing, a measurement is suppose to be taken at 1 m and peak SPL recorded although data-bass reports RMS. REW shows it as peak.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REW CEA-2010.PNG
Views:	276
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	2000777  

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #1265 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
My highest compliment to that sub is the following: The idea of that sub in my room terrifies me.
Ah, but a pair would go perfect in your new HT........
chirpie likes this.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1266 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Peak is for wimps.
dsl1 likes this.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #1267 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,776
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Peak is for wimps.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #1268 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Lol nice
lukeamdman is offline  
post #1269 of 1408 Old 03-01-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,115
Mentioned: 683 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
How about nearbyfield?

At one time I had one FV right behind me...and it was VISCERAL like Carps. I had a similar "wincing" experience on certain demo clips...it was awesome.

But the other seats were so far off from a TR standpoint compared to the MLP. So I bought another FV and placed them behind the non-lp seats. It was a good comprise, as now all the positions have very good TR and are more even seat to seat.

The other thing that hasn't been discussed yet that bothered me when the FV was directly behind me...I hated getting "slammed" on things that have no business having that effect; things like doors shutting, guitar picks, etc. It was absolutely incredible for those bass demo scenes, but some other films, the Intensity was out of place and sometimes affected the overall experience and perceived sound quality.

@carp or @Archaea , do you run into this problem at all?


I don't really notice a slam by things that shouldn't, but the level that the near sub was on for the JW demo is higher than I normally run it. For JW the nearfield sub was 4 db's hot compared to the subs. For most tv and movies I have it set at 3 db's less than the speakers. I watched Hacksaw Ridge with the near sub 3 db's below the other speakers and the bass was insane so I can't imagine how powerful the bass would be if I bumped it up a few db's. It's the most impressive scene I've seen in my room.
carp is offline  
post #1270 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
1) I can't match carp's theater experience on that scene either, despite having ~ double the amplifier power. I've tried. First time I heard that scene at carp's I hadn't even seen the movie. I went home and rented it right away and was really excited. It didn't have the Atmos track on the rental copy, and I couldn't reproduce Sheldon's room tactile/pressure effect and assumed it was because it was stripped down audio on the rental disk. So I bought the retail disk in Atmos, and still couldn't match it. grrr.
Are you able to recline your seat like carp so that you get even more nearfield?

Can you describe in more detail on what you feel was missing? Shaking? Pummeling effect? Loudness? Dynamics?

For example in my current setup, I'm lacking that "pummeling" effect that he had...to me that's what stood out the most, not so much as the couch shaking.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1271 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,115
Mentioned: 683 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
What really tops it off was Doug's design of my nearfield sub enclosure. It angles up so that when you recline it's even closer to your back and head. I don't think it's good for your hearing though, last fall after cranking Need for Speed and Terminator Genisys back to back my hearing was muffled for a few days. In Terminator there were scenes in TG that had bass that I've never experienced and the only way to re-create it was to be reclined with the near field right there. It feel silly describing it... it made my whole body tingle and gave me a sense of euphoria. Like anything else though, too much of a good thing is not so good for us and my ears paid for it. I have made sure to turn down the nearfield when reclining ever since. The difference between reclining and not reclining is a big one.
carp is offline  
post #1272 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
What really tops it off was Doug's design of my nearfield sub enclosure. It angles up so that when you recline it's even closer to your back and head. I don't think it's good for your hearing though, last fall after cranking Need for Speed and Terminator Genisys back to back my hearing was muffled for a few days. In Terminator there were scenes in TG that had bass that I've never experienced and the only way to re-create it was to be reclined with the near field right there. It feel silly describing it... it made my whole body tingle and gave me a sense of euphoria. Like anything else though, too much of a good thing is not so good for us and my ears paid for it. I have made sure to turn down the nearfield when reclining ever since. The difference between reclining and not reclining is a big one.
You should go 100% near-field like @N8DOGG
lukeamdman is offline  
post #1273 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
How about nearbyfield?

At one time I had one FV right behind me...and it was VISCERAL like Carps. I had a similar "wincing" experience on certain demo clips...it was awesome.

But the other seats were so far off from a TR standpoint compared to the MLP. So I bought another FV and placed them behind the non-lp seats. It was a good comprise, as now all the positions have very good TR and are more even seat to seat.

The other thing that hasn't been discussed yet that bothered me when the FV was directly behind me...I hated getting "slammed" on things that have no business having that effect; things like doors shutting, guitar picks, etc. It was absolutely incredible for those bass demo scenes, but some other films, the Intensity was out of place and sometimes affected the overall experience and perceived sound quality.

@carp or @Archaea , do you run into this problem at all?
Slam a real door in real life and spec lab it. You'll likely see content all the way down to the single digits. You don't experience it like when a sub recreates because the dynamic peaks you get higher in freq drown out the effect of the extremely low freqs. Something even the very best speakers can't do. Tom Danley in a whitepaper has mentioned that just simply dropping a spoon onto the floor could have real world dynamic peaks of 150dB. That's astounding, yet we get those extremely brief peaks in our lives much more often than we would ever think. I car door slamming, 140-150dB, but it's so quick that we never think twice.

As was mentioned however, a LPF on the NF around 40-50hz would solve that issue and remove some of the upper bass that can be somewhat distracting. I like it personally for music and demo time, but just as carp usually has it, my rig is -3 to -5dB lower in the NF compared to the mains. Last g2g I had, people were swearing up and down that the nearfields were all I needed until I cut them off and let them see that the majority of what they were experiencing was just the front 8 subs, and the NF was simply an added "Fun factor" for that TR that they were feeling.

I need to get some of you guys into my room to experience two HST's nearfield and running a little hot. It feels like what it felt like in carps dining room at the corner of the table... but you are sitting down, and on a concrete slab. Blurry vision, etc. I am pretty sure @Scott Simonian did a VS measurement at my last g2g but I don't think it was with the pink noise so probably not comparable, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Lets put the JTR 4000 in your room where your SVS currently is.
I think this would be a good way to "Say Goodbye" to the room. Be sure to yank the PJ down and get the HTPC out of there first, then let 'er rip. I can't even imagine what that would do. Where was the svs sub in the room to begin with? I don't think I ever saw it.
carp and lukeamdman like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1274 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I tried to go 100% NF for a short bit. I didn't like it. Bass became too localized for me and didn't pressurize the room with them all behind me like that. Having a mix of a few up front with a few NF was much more preferable to me.
Scott Simonian and carp like this.
stitch1 is offline  
post #1275 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Slam a real door in real life and spec lab it. You'll likely see content all the way down to the single digits. You don't experience it like when a sub recreates because the dynamic peaks you get higher in freq drown out the effect of the extremely low freqs. Something even the very best speakers can't do. Tom Danley in a whitepaper has mentioned that just simply dropping a spoon onto the floor could have real world dynamic peaks of 150dB. That's astounding, yet we get those extremely brief peaks in our lives much more often than we would ever think. I car door slamming, 140-150dB, but it's so quick that we never think twice.

As was mentioned however, a LPF on the NF around 40-50hz would solve that issue and remove some of the upper bass that can be somewhat distracting. I like it personally for music and demo time, but just as carp usually has it, my rig is -3 to -5dB lower in the NF compared to the mains. Last g2g I had, people were swearing up and down that the nearfields were all I needed until I cut them off and let them see that the majority of what they were experiencing was just the front 8 subs, and the NF was simply an added "Fun factor" for that TR that they were feeling.

I need to get some of you guys into my room to experience two HST's nearfield and running a little hot. It feels like what it felt like in carps dining room at the corner of the table... but you are sitting down, and on a concrete slab. Blurry vision, etc. I am pretty sure @Scott Simonian did a VS measurement at my last g2g but I don't think it was with the pink noise so probably not comparable, but I could be wrong.
I'm with you on the full bandwidth, real life sounds. Couldn't agree more.

The problem is context...when it happens in a movie that doesn't fit with the scene, it's distracting to me.

My MBM 1200D is nearbyfield (18" away), and on some movies in the past (typically non-action) I have to turn it off or bring the gain down. I've got it dialed in now and haven't felt its been distracting on any recent movies, so all good so far.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1276 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 21,509
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Slam a real door in real life and spec lab it. You'll likely see content all the way down to the single digits. You don't experience it like when a sub recreates because the dynamic peaks you get higher in freq drown out the effect of the extremely low freqs. Something even the very best speakers can't do. Tom Danley in a whitepaper has mentioned that just simply dropping a spoon onto the floor could have real world dynamic peaks of 150dB. That's astounding, yet we get those extremely brief peaks in our lives much more often than we would ever think. I car door slamming, 140-150dB, but it's so quick that we never think twice.
Well said. And important! There is good reason why a large majority of people are moving on to cinema style high sensitivity speaker designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
As was mentioned however, a LPF on the NF around 40-50hz would solve that issue and remove some of the upper bass that can be somewhat distracting. I like it personally for music and demo time, but just as carp usually has it, my rig is -3 to -5dB lower in the NF compared to the mains. Last g2g I had, people were swearing up and down that the nearfields were all I needed until I cut them off and let them see that the majority of what they were experiencing was just the front 8 subs, and the NF was simply an added "Fun factor" for that TR that they were feeling.
The LPF has a major effect on how we experience that tactile bass feel. Originally had mine on full to 80hz and I liked it. Have also had it at 40hz and now currently at 25hz. I'm always adjusting it to see how I really like the feel of each setting. There are pro's and con's to each one it seems. This can never be too easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I need to get some of you guys into my room to experience two HST's nearfield and running a little hot. It feels like what it felt like in carps dining room at the corner of the table... but you are sitting down, and on a concrete slab. Blurry vision, etc. I am pretty sure @Scott Simonian did a VS measurement at my last g2g but I don't think it was with the pink noise so probably not comparable, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, it wasn't pink noise. It was EoT. This was a while back (wrt TR recording and graphing) and we hadn't really moved on from it yet so that's all I used. That data wasn't very useful because it was too intense! Clipped the sensors and never attempted again while I was there.

Basically it just meant, "HOLY F**KING ****!!!!!111" but you know.... classy-like.

All good.



Or think of it this way, Brandon. Imagine bringing in one of those older analog SPL meters from Radio Shack into your current room. You blast out the most insane bass tracks you got, pinging this thing off the charts. So you know you have intense bass but you still dont know the response of it. (but of course you know already you are robust down into the single digits) So that's why I say it isn't useful data (the one try I had at your HT) because it doesn't tell enough for it to be completely useful but it does tell some of the story. Insane bass!

Last edited by Scott Simonian; 03-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Scott Simonian is offline  
post #1277 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,902
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
As it should be. We're all about class around here.
Michael
Archaea likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1278 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,517
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
I tried to go 100% NF for a short bit. I didn't like it. Bass became too localized for me and didn't pressurize the room with them all behind me like that. Having a mix of a few up front with a few NF was much more preferable to me.

I've always found it makes no difference where the subs are, when they are loud, they can be localized. Whether they are up front, middle or behind. When you have a bunch of big subs that run hot (like me ) youre kinda pootched any way you do it in all but giant rooms. People may not like to admit it but that's 100% true. You would never mistake bass coming from the back or a room if it's up front, never... And vice versa.


IMO it matters where they are in relation to you when NF. If they are at ear level like carp was saying , ya they are pretty much just blasting in your ear but if they can be fired into the bottom of the seating, they have the same effect as bass shakers to a point.

I've become so used to the effect, I have no interest in anyone elses systems since they feel so lacking and just end up being bored lol.. Just like I'm sure people would not like mine because it's all up in your business and intense. That's why this hobby is so damn fun, everyone is different.
carp, RMK! and stitch1 like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #1279 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
cvinfig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KCMO
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Slam a real door in real life and spec lab it. You'll likely see content all the way down to the single digits. You don't experience it like when a sub recreates because the dynamic peaks you get higher in freq drown out the effect of the extremely low freqs. Something even the very best speakers can't do. Tom Danley in a whitepaper has mentioned that just simply dropping a spoon onto the floor could have real world dynamic peaks of 150dB. That's astounding, yet we get those extremely brief peaks in our lives much more often than we would ever think. I car door slamming, 140-150dB, but it's so quick that we never think twice.

I found this a little hard to believe so I just slammed my car door inside a closed garage multiple times with Radio Shack SPL meter in hand. I got the highest reading with the meter set to Fast Response and C-Weighted, and that was 110 dB.
cvinfig is offline  
post #1280 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
You speak with a lot of logic there, good sir.

I am not sure what your setup is but I attempted to put 4 SI 18's behind my couch. While it was fun it wasn't what I was looking for. I have since moved two of them to the front of the room and run those slightly hotter than my near field. Also, I have a low pass filter on my NF (I think) around 60hz. It might be 50. I tried a bunch of settings and one of those two is where I left it.

But I am finishing a new room as my theater and am looking at creating a kinda over the top near field experience in there. I am not locked in on the final design just yet. But what I am looking to so is build my seating on a small riser. Take the back fabric off of the couch. Place the front of the driver just about as close as possible. Currently the plan is to run 4 SI 18s back there but I am tossing around the idea of just using two. Moving the other two to the front of the room to join my other 4 SI's.
Archaea likes this.
stitch1 is offline  
post #1281 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I found this a little hard to believe so I just slammed my car door inside a closed garage multiple times with Radio Shack SPL meter in hand. I got the highest reading with the meter set to Fast Response and C-Weighted, and that was 110 dB.
The only place a RS meter is useful is in the trash

c weighted = junk topped with ultra poor transient response.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #1282 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
cvinfig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KCMO
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
The only place a RS meter is useful is in the trash

c weighted = junk topped with ultra poor transient response.
I'm just reporting the highest SPL I was able to measure. With the dial set to 110 dB and a-weighted, the needle didn't move.
cvinfig is offline  
post #1283 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I'm sure people would not like mine because it's all up in your business and intense. That's why this hobby is so damn fun, everyone is different.
I'm all about up in ya business and intense. Simply just all about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I found this a little hard to believe so I just slammed my car door inside a closed garage multiple times with Radio Shack SPL meter in hand. I got the highest reading with the meter set to Fast Response and C-Weighted, and that was 110 dB.
An spl meter is not going to capture it, the effect is simply way too quick. You'd need a multi-thousand dollar rig to record this effect properly. Think an Aco-pacific type rig equipped with preamp and all. And even then, the dynamic spl peak is so short in duration that it will still be hard to capture. If the human ear, perhaps the best "Recording" device available to us on this planet has a hard time resolving these amazing effects, then you can imagine the painstaking steps it would take to actually get a microphone rig to have enough resolution.

Also, mercedes with their auto-seal sound barrier stuff doesn't count. I'm talking about slamming the door on a '67 toronado or something.
Archaea likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1284 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,790
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I'm all about up in ya business and intense. Simply just all about it.



An spl meter is not going to capture it, the effect is simply way too quick. You'd need a multi-thousand dollar rig to record this effect properly. Think an Aco-pacific type rig equipped with preamp and all. And even then, the dynamic spl peak is so short in duration that it will still be hard to capture. If the human ear, perhaps the best "Recording" device available to us on this planet has a hard time resolving these amazing effects, then you can imagine the painstaking steps it would take to actually get a microphone rig to have enough resolution.

Also, mercedes with their auto-seal sound barrier stuff doesn't count. I'm talking about slamming the door on a '67 toronado or something.
I should give it a try with my ACO mic and Motu preamp.
Archaea and beastaudio like this.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #1285 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,517
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
You speak with a lot of logic there, good sir.

I am not sure what your setup is but I attempted to put 4 SI 18's behind my couch. While it was fun it wasn't what I was looking for. I have since moved two of them to the front of the room and run those slightly hotter than my near field. Also, I have a low pass filter on my NF (I think) around 60hz. It might be 50. I tried a bunch of settings and one of those two is where I left it.

But I am finishing a new room as my theater and am looking at creating a kinda over the top near field experience in there. I am not locked in on the final design just yet. But what I am looking to so is build my seating on a small riser. Take the back fabric off of the couch. Place the front of the driver just about as close as possible. Currently the plan is to run 4 SI 18s back there but I am tossing around the idea of just using two. Moving the other two to the front of the room to join my other 4 SI's.
4 x Mach 5 24s and 2 JTR os pros.
I think you have a solid plan with even just 2 back there.
I hope to habey.next room.equal back and front and be able.to switch individual subs off and on for effect when I want it and off when I'm watching kids movies etc.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #1286 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,126
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I found this a little hard to believe so I just slammed my car door inside a closed garage multiple times with Radio Shack SPL meter in hand. I got the highest reading with the meter set to Fast Response and C-Weighted, and that was 110 dB.


Mercedes are 110dB

Pintos are 150dB


EDIT - ha - just finished reading through the posts and see Brandon beat me to this. You know what they say about great minds...
I owe some responses in this thread. I'm feeling really under the weather today, and will take some time to respond, in length, when I feel better.
Archaea is online now  
post #1287 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
cvinfig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KCMO
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mercedes are 110dB

Pintos are 150dB
Is that reading for the Pinto when the door hits the car body or the ground immediately after?
Archaea, stitch1 and beastaudio like this.
cvinfig is offline  
post #1288 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,776
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I'm all about up in ya business and intense. Simply just all about it.



An spl meter is not going to capture it, the effect is simply way too quick. You'd need a multi-thousand dollar rig to record this effect properly. Think an Aco-pacific type rig equipped with preamp and all. And even then, the dynamic spl peak is so short in duration that it will still be hard to capture. If the human ear, perhaps the best "Recording" device available to us on this planet has a hard time resolving these amazing effects, then you can imagine the painstaking steps it would take to actually get a microphone rig to have enough resolution.

Also, mercedes with their auto-seal sound barrier stuff doesn't count. I'm talking about slamming the door on a '67 toronado or something.
I should give it a try with my ACO mic and MOTU preamp.

EDIT - ha - just finished reading through the posts and see Luke beat me to this. You know what they say about great minds...
Archaea and lukeamdman like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #1289 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1290 of 1408 Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,512
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Now for something completely different, in building my theater I was wondering if I could make the third row bar into a near field sub? The cabinet would be around 3.3'x11'x1'. Would that be big enough to handle 3-12" or 3-18" subs? I am new to the near field sub thing so any help would greatly be appropriated. This is just a concept right now no plans yet.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off