Originally Posted by Archaea
I've had a couple people ask me about my playlist and specifically about the Star Spangled Banner clip. It's from a politically charged documentary called Hillary's America
, that I rented on DVD from Netflix. I was really impressed with the final song clip in the documentary, and so subsequently bought the retail Bluray disk to cut that clip for the crawl. It is linked here:
It occurred to me that the hosts should post their final playlists ---- and volumes used.
This is my playlist and associated volumes from the crawl demo sessions.
I used MakeMKV and TSMuxor and MKVToolNix GUI to make most of my clips off my retail purchased BluRays, and then played the clips through J-River. I just used the Denon remote to change the AVR master volume per clip.
Hillary's America - Star Spangled Banner = -6dB
DTS X - Gravity (Textures and Sound) Trailer - 4dB
Chris Botti in Boston - Katherine McPhee vocal = Reference
Dolby Atmos Amaze Trailer = - 4dB
Dolby Atmos Dolby Unfold Trailer = Reference
Brave - Bear Scene Intro = Reference
Zoolander 2 - Old and Lame = -3dB
Mad Max Fury Road (Atmos) - Movie intro = -3dB
Terminator Genisys (Atmos) - You were never strong enough = -3dB
Gravity (Atmos) - Initial debris encounter = - 3dB
Xbox Scene It Game = - 18dB
I don't remember all of the volume settings, but I do know that John Wick was the only time I pushed it to reference (my avr says -3 when it's set at reference because of the very efficient mains). I knew ears would be raw, so no need to be blasting reference or above IMO. Here are my clips:
1. Ha, I don't know. It was a song from the show Darryl's House. If you haven't watched this show it's pretty great, different artists come and play with Darryl Hall (from Hall and Oates) and his band in his awesome room for live music. It's on the channel called MTV Live (used to be called Palladia).
I can't even remember the name of the song... sounded pretty great though so I included it. Just used the L and R mains for this one.
2. Disturbed - Sound of Silence Live on Conan from youtube. Wow, what a voice... goosebumps everytime I hear it despite that it is on youtube. Again, just used L and R main speakers.
3. Lucy 4K - from "80%" to "99%" towards the end of the movie.
4. The Shallows - scene when she is surfing with the 2 guys she met. I wanted to do a later scene with the shark, very impactful and intense but I didn't have enough time.
5. Within Temptation - Black Symphony Live concert. Beautiful duet. Only downside is they have the singer on the right on the left side of soundstage and vice versa. My favorite concert disk ever along with Metallica's Through the Never.
6. Metallica - 2nd half of the song And Justice for All from Through the Never. I didn't want to do the typical One demo, although maybe I should have.
7. Sully - intro dream sequence
8. Raising Arizona - opening scene. I wanted to mix it up and not have everything be loud. I've loved this movie ever since I first saw it in middle school. One of those that you repeat lines over and over with friends. I probably should have done the action scene following, "Wake up son. I'll be taking these huggies... and whatever cash you got..."
I never thought I'd like another Cohen brothers movie more - until I saw The Big Lebowski a few times when it came out.
9. John Wick club scene
In hindsight I probably should have had another scene that shows off the bass, but I though many would be bass weary so I only really cranked up JW in the bass department.
With group B I also showed Act of Valor and my all time favorite song, Orion from Through the Never. I think we did a few more clips but I can't remember now what all we did.
Group C got a lot less, I know we didn't do some of the music clips and no John Wick.