2017 Austin Texas Area Meet Up - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #91 of 120 Old 03-01-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTR View Post
Well I am about 95% finished.
Glad you re-energized this thread. I'm embarrassed to say my build is still not complete. I've been dealing with LIG headwinds and waiting for door jambs, a couple amps, realizing I made an error in the measurement of my A/V cabinet and the opening is 1/2" too short, touch-up painting, the list goes on. The last 5% takes the longest!

I'm looking forward to doing an invite (hopefully this Spring) for the group.

Quote:
I am not a computer guy but, would like to get a electronic storage and organization set up for my DVD's like a Kaleidescape. Any of the computer guys built something like this and can provide advise?
Well, there's the old Sony DVD changers. I believe there was a 300 or 400 DVD model. I don't know if there was ever a BD version or if Sony still makes them. My preferred route is a HTPC and digitize the DVDs onto it. Then use Plex or Kodi as the front end. JRiver Media Center also is highly spoken of. I have only used XBMC, which is what Kodi was called before Microsloth threatened to sue the small non-profit group that makes Kodi over the "X-box Media Center" name.

The primary challenge with a HTPC is of course the PC part. Thankfully, there are turn-key solutions for the technical feint-of-heart. For example, you could get a Synology Diskstation or Rackstation. They have a Plex plug-in and a DLNA streaming plug-in. There may be other apps that work on it. The 2nd challenge is digitizing your DVDs, but there are a variety of software platforms that do this (including removing copy protections). Out of respect for the forum owners, I won't offer suggestions here since some of them are gray-area. Google is your friend. The Synology products double as NAS units (Network Attached Storage), such as file servers.

If you are up for building your own media server, I can offer you some guidance. Just let me know. If you've never built a PC before, you'll have a bit of a learning curve and should expect to devote many hours of your time (mostly on software configuration). The upside is once the core server is built, customizing it is a relatively simple affair. That's the big plus of the DIY route. Future customization plus complete control over the specs.

These days you can also go with a lite server and put everything on the "cloud," but I recommend against that. I don't like relying on things beyond my immediate control when watching a movie. I've experienced how much it sucks when Amazon Video stops working in the middle of a movie. Not a good experience.

Netgear, Western Digital, and Seagate all make "media" servers but they are a joke compared to a full-fledged media server. However, if your needs are modest they may be OK. That's just my PC snobbism talking. Lol.

The market has unfortunately become dominated by the companies with the largest marketing budgets, such as the HD manufacturers. Synology is one of the best bets if you want a solution-in-a-box. They have been in the NAS market longer than any other player and know what they are doing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 03-01-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Glad you re-energized this thread. I'm embarrassed to say my build is still not complete. I've been dealing with LIG headwinds and waiting for door jambs, a couple amps, realizing I made an error in the measurement of my A/V cabinet and the opening is 1/2" too short, touch-up painting, the list goes on. The last 5% takes the longest!

I'm looking forward to doing an invite (hopefully this Spring) for the group.

Well, there's the old Sony DVD changers. I believe there was a 300 or 400 DVD model. I don't know if there was ever a BD version or if Sony still makes them. My preferred route is a HTPC and digitize the DVDs onto it. Then use Plex or Kodi as the front end. JRiver Media Center also is highly spoken of. I have only used XBMC, which is what Kodi was called before Microsloth threatened to sue the small non-profit group that makes Kodi over the "X-box Media Center" name.

The primary challenge with a HTPC is of course the PC part. Thankfully, there are turn-key solutions for the technical feint-of-heart. For example, you could get a Synology Diskstation or Rackstation. They have a Plex plug-in and a DLNA streaming plug-in. There may be other apps that work on it. The 2nd challenge is digitizing your DVDs, but there are a variety of software platforms that do this (including removing copy protections). Out of respect for the forum owners, I won't offer suggestions here since some of them are gray-area. Google is your friend. The Synology products double as NAS units (Network Attached Storage), such as file servers.

If you are up for building your own media server, I can offer you some guidance. Just let me know. If you've never built a PC before, you'll have a bit of a learning curve and should expect to devote many hours of your time (mostly on software configuration). The upside is once the core server is built, customizing it is a relatively simple affair. That's the big plus of the DIY route. Future customization plus complete control over the specs.

These days you can also go with a lite server and put everything on the "cloud," but I recommend against that. I don't like relying on things beyond my immediate control when watching a movie. I've experienced how much it sucks when Amazon Video stops working in the middle of a movie. Not a good experience.

Netgear, Western Digital, and Seagate all make "media" servers but they are a joke compared to a full-fledged media server. However, if your needs are modest they may be OK. That's just my PC snobbism talking. Lol.

The market has unfortunately become dominated by the companies with the largest marketing budgets, such as the HD manufacturers. Synology is one of the best bets if you want a solution-in-a-box. They have been in the NAS market longer than any other player and know what they are doing.
Thanks for this. I was just in Houston and a co worker inherited 4 of the Sony 400 DVD changer and trying to sell them. I thought they were not Blue Ray he said yes and they are cheap. No room in my rack but maybe I should get one from him.
post #93 of 120 Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for this. I was just in Houston and a co worker inherited 4 of the Sony 400 DVD changer and trying to sell them. I thought they were not Blue Ray he said yes and they are cheap. No room in my rack but maybe I should get one from him.
The way I see it, it's a work trade-off. Would you like to spend time loading the DVD changer or digitizing your DVD collection (ala HTPC)?

Of course, the DVD carousel is truly plug-and-play, and if you are not a PC geek like me, there's a lot of appeal to that simple approach! I'd say it's probably worth inquiring about cost. If you buy one, make sure it is well understood you want it packed very well. That's my biggest concern with buying used A/V equipment: transporting it. I've had more than one 2nd hand component destroyed en-route because the seller didn't know how to pack it properly. UPS in particular excels at making sure what was a perfectly good product before it was shipped, is unusable by the time the buyer receives it. I'm starting to think that movie with Jim Carrey was not fictional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 120 Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

btw, do you know your friend's Sony DVD carousel model #'s? And are they used or new? He could probably sell all 4 on this forum.

If you can find a reasonable way to rack mount them, I believe you're looking at a 6U space. They are huge.

post #95 of 120 Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Dolby Cinema at Barton Creek experience?

Has anyone been to the Dolby Cinema theater at Barton Creek Mall recently? I read some awful reviews of the theater and wondered if at least the Dolby room is a good experience. Was thinking about seeing Avengers there.

Thanks!
post #96 of 120 Old 05-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard11 View Post
Has anyone been to the Dolby Cinema theater at Barton Creek Mall recently? I read some awful reviews of the theater and wondered if at least the Dolby room is a good experience. Was thinking about seeing Avengers there.

Thanks!

Yup saw Thor and A Quiet Place in the Dolby Cinema and they were wonderful. I prefer it over IMAX now. Highly recommended.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #97 of 120 Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Thanks sunPin!

I need to go check it out. Do you prefer it over Bob Bullock IMAX (the real IMAX)?
post #98 of 120 Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks sunPin!

I need to go check it out. Do you prefer it over Bob Bullock IMAX (the real IMAX)?

Haven’t been to that one but have been to many other true IMAX screens and I still prefer it over those mostly for the projector; the Dolby Vision projector is really something to experience. That said, ideally you’d get both screen size and image quality but I don’t think IMAX has a laser system in Texas yet.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #99 of 120 Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Haven’t been to that one but have been to many other true IMAX screens and I still prefer it over those mostly for the projector; the Dolby Vision projector is really something to experience. That said, ideally you’d get both screen size and image quality but I don’t think IMAX has a laser system in Texas yet.
Ah, interesting. Didn't know about laser vs. standard IMAX. I definitely want to check out the Dolby screen now.
post #100 of 120 Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe @CoryW saw Blade Runner 2049 there.

post #101 of 120 Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I recall seeing the new Star Wars there and Black Panther. It truly is an amazing theater
Quote:
I believe @CoryW saw Blade Runner 2049 there.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #102 of 120 Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 PM

My Theater is Complete

Room is done you can see it at Dedicated Theater Design and Construction tilted The First Dedicated Theater Room https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ater-room.html. I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message.

Look forward to the next get together.

Last edited by FrankTR; 06-14-2018 at 01:40 PM.
post #103 of 120 Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Room is done you can see it at Dedicated Theater Design and Construction tilted The First Dedicated Theater Room https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-construction/. I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message.

Look forward to the next get together.
Hey Frank. Congratulations!

Your link just points to the main page for dedicated theaters. Was that your intention?

Do you have a photo of the leftover material?

post #104 of 120 Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM

I corrected the link should point directly to my room. Here is a link to the material https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNS-MANSV...p2047675.l2557. I had to pay $120 for shipping on top of the material. If you really want a current photo I will need to get into the attic and snap one. Can do that if interested. Actually I have a picture of the material installed on the wall behind the screen. see below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	955.1 KB
ID:	2416104  
post #105 of 120 Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I corrected the link should point directly to my room. Here is a link to the material https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNS-MANSV...p2047675.l2557. I had to pay $120 for shipping on top of the material. If you really want a current photo I will need to get into the attic and snap one. Can do that if interested. Actually I have a picture of the material installed on the wall behind the screen. see below
Ah... Linacoustic 1". Nice. I don't understand why that stuff is so difficult to find locally around here. I went to 2-3 HVAC supply shops when I was building my room and the staff there looked like I was asking if they sold gold plated toilet brushes when I asked if they sold Linacoustic.

Yes, link to your room works great now.

post #106 of 120 Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now wait a minute.... new construction + you have land + you live in Liberty Hill.

I'm jealous.

LoL.

post #107 of 120 Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Having land means a lot of grass to cut
post #108 of 120 Old 06-15-2018, 06:37 AM

When are we doing another meet up?
richard11 likes this.

DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
post #109 of 120 Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Ah... Linacoustic 1". Nice. I don't understand why that stuff is so difficult to find locally around here. I went to 2-3 HVAC supply shops when I was building my room and the staff there looked like I was asking if they sold gold plated toilet brushes when I asked if they sold Linacoustic.

Yes, link to your room works great now.

If anyone needs 1'' Linacoustic again, Standard Supply in austin stocks it. It took me forever to find it local.
HT Geek likes this.
post #110 of 120 Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 AM

Acoustic Insulation for sale

I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message. $4.80 is what it cost me including shipping. I live north west of Austin
post #111 of 120 Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Great question! I've never been to one, so would like to check it out.
sunPin likes this.
post #112 of 120 Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just saw your post.... got lost in the thread. ;(

Good question. I'm likely gonna be tied up thru July. My kiddos start school mid-August. I hate to plan this far ahead, but September?? August seems like a month a lot of people take vacation.

post #113 of 120 Old 06-29-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Heading to Austin this week for Willie Nelson on the 4th. Anyone else here going?
post #114 of 120 Old 09-11-2018, 07:03 PM

What's the next movie coming out that would make a good candidate for a viewing at Barton Creek Mall - Dolby Cinema?
post #115 of 120 Old 09-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
What's the next movie coming out that would make a good candidate for a viewing at Barton Creek Mall - Dolby Cinema?
Probably Venom

richard11 likes this.

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #116 of 120 Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
The Predator this Friday.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #117 of 120 Old 09-12-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

First Man is releasing October 12.

I have no idea if it's likely to be any good. Not usually a notable time of year for movie releases.

Another option is meet for lunch or some other activity.

post #118 of 120 Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 AM

re-post on acoustic material

I thought I would try to post this again to see if any interest.

I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message. $4.80 is what it cost me including shipping. I live north west of Austin
post #119 of 120 Old 01-26-2019, 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=FrankTR;56343978]Room is done you can see it at Dedicated Theater Design and Construction tilted The First Dedicated Theater Room https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ater-room.html. I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message. I have dropped the price to $3. per foot

Last edited by FrankTR; 01-26-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #120 of 120 Old 01-26-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=FrankTR;57502078]
Quote:
Room is done you can see it at Dedicated Theater Design and Construction tilted The First Dedicated Theater Room https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ater-room.html. I have about 50 liner feet of acoustic 1 inch material 60 inches wide left over. I used this behind my screen and to make my acoustic panels. I will sell it for $4.80 a liner foot. This stuff worked great the guy that did my calibration said my acoustic were very good. If interested shoot me a message. I have dropped the price to $4. per foot

Also I want to sell my Marantz 7007 receiver I just had it checked at Pyramid Audio and everything is working perfect. price $475.00
Hey Frank. Have you also posted your stuff for sale in the classifieds/for sale thread?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Tags
atx , austin , central texas , texas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page