DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) G2G, Finally! - Oct 21, 2017 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #91 of 226 Old 09-16-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Would we (or do you think we could) be able to demo our own material, music? I would be super curious to hear songs that I have been playing on my own system for months, and then hear the difference in another system.

Its nothing to really test the speakers, but more-so subs.

Seems like you're doing a lot for us attending, do we need to bring anything other than good food and beer?
Demo material, blu rays, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I agree with bgtighe23 about material to demo. I have over 40TB worth of stuff, Movies, music, music videos, etc.. Cant bring it all but could load a small 500 gig hard drive full of stuff if need be.
I am open to some bringing content, but doubt we will have enough time if everyone does. We will need content for the 2 side demo areas too, so I think bringing it can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 226 Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I am open to some bringing content, but doubt we will have enough time if everyone does. We will need content for the 2 side demo areas too, so I think bringing it can't hurt.
I just saw this thread. Wow, looks like a great experience. I live in Frisco and would love an invitation. Huge home theater fan currently running a Paradigm 7.1 system with Buttkickers. I just PMd you too about the D-BOX.

I have always wanted to experience a Death Star battle with D-BOX....or even the last 20 minutes of Ep1 since it had some great demo scenes!
thxman likes this.

Last edited by Gruson; 09-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #93 of 226 Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was going to lug over my Marty cube , but after looking at the current list of equipment, I am looking at my insurance policy, a can of gas and a match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 226 Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSpine99 View Post
I was going to lug over my Marty cube , but after looking at the current list of equipment, I am looking at my insurance policy, a can of gas and a match.
haha. But I would bring your Marty along, I heard one once and would be interested in hearing yours.

@thxman have you thought about how to demo your room and or other stuff? Also wondering as I am interested in hearing how atmos sounds, if you can produce a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 as well as a 7.2.2 and such?
thxman likes this.

post #95 of 226 Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
have you thought about how to demo your room and or other stuff? Also wondering as I am interested in hearing how atmos sounds, if you can produce a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 as well as a 7.2.2 and such?
Should be easy enough to prepare for these setups and save as presets on the Trinnov for quick change. Do keep in mind that for each speaker count, the speakers (height) won't be in the optimal positions with the exception of 9.1.4 vs. 7.1.4. vs. 5.1.4.
BCRSS likes this.
post #96 of 226 Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Should be easy enough to prepare for these setups and save as presets on the Trinnov for quick change. Do keep in mind that for each speaker count, the speakers (height) won't be in the optimal positions with the exception of 9.1.4 vs. 7.1.4. vs. 5.1.4.
That is great news... Since I am trying to figure out if Atmos is that great or just a 5.1 or 7.1 set up will do. So really interested in the difference between all of the different set ups.
Thanks
Curt

post #97 of 226 Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I would love to attend and check out this [not so] modest setup. A lot of people attending though, I would suggest a repeating (smallish) script running through demo scenes, at least at the beginning, with minimal involvement of yourself (everyone is going to want to monopolize your time!). I know I would definitely enjoy at least a few minutes in the hot-seat to experience your incredible setup. I can bring some food or drinks, to be decided closer to the time, and help out with some food serving/setup if needed. Sounds like you will be really busy! Let me know how I can help.
thxman likes this.
post #98 of 226 Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any word on what snacks/etc that are requested and could split up bringing?

All I'd like is to bring a UHD 4K blu ray and see a scene or two on your PJ setup. And of course, ATMOS on you trinnov! But agree the rolling loop for the beginning sounds fair to keep you from being occupied 100% of time.
post #99 of 226 Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As of now, we will have a Kaleidescape Strato on hand to run a demo loop. This will allow quick access to prime clips. I will spend some time updating the food list to get an idea of what we still need.
BCRSS and RBenavides like this.
post #100 of 226 Old 09-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2136
Whomever is going... get ready to experience a truly top notch home cinema.

I had a chance to go before everything was done and it was world class at that time.

Jealous of all who are getting to attend.

Enjoy guys.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #101 of 226 Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
post #102 of 226 Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
That is great news... Since I am trying to figure out if Atmos is that great or just a 5.1 or 7.1 set up will do. So really interested in the difference between all of the different set ups.
Thanks
Curt
I just installed the inceiling ".4" part of my 5.2.4 setup, so if you find me i can share my thoughts since I'll have it up for a month by then. Been exclusively 7.1 or 5.1 before.
post #103 of 226 Old 09-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Thxman, thanks for volunteering! I have a ivc rs500/dila-x750 and the HDR portion of 4K is super fabulous color/saturation wise but in the low midtones of luminance it's a tad too dark for me and my wife (rest is spot on). I've been told calibration fixes that. Would like to see your 950+ 4K HDR material and if it looks great find out who your calibrator is.
thxman likes this.
post #104 of 226 Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenavides View Post
I just installed the inceiling ".4" part of my 5.2.4 setup, so if you find me i can share my thoughts since I'll have it up for a month by then. Been exclusively 7.1 or 5.1 before.
Oh this will be great. So many brains to pick from on stuff I am interested in, it will make me feel like the walking dead at an all you can eat smorgasbord of brains.
thxman likes this.

post #105 of 226 Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I had been subscribed to the other thread, and knew that this thread had been created, but have been slammed at work for weeks. I just realized this thing has been finalized and is in full swing. Is there still room? I would love to attend!
post #106 of 226 Old 09-25-2017, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy View Post
I had been subscribed to the other thread, and knew that this thread had been created, but have been slammed at work for weeks. I just realized this thing has been finalized and is in full swing. Is there still room? I would love to attend!
There is room. I estimate I can sit about 36 people downstairs and with foldout chairs (which I don't have), even more. I think we will cut off at about 45 attendees since there will always be some that need to cancel and I want to ensure everyone is comfortable. Should I add you to the list?
post #107 of 226 Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
There is room. I estimate I can sit about 36 people downstairs and with foldout chairs (which I don't have), even more. I think we will cut off at about 45 attendees since there will always be some that need to cancel and I want to ensure everyone is comfortable. Should I add you to the list?

Yes please! I'm in(+1, if that's ok)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #108 of 226 Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes please! I'm in
You have been added.

Quote:
(+1, if that's ok)
It is indeed.
post #109 of 226 Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thxman, thanks for volunteering! I have a ivc rs500/dila-x750 and the HDR portion of 4K is super fabulous color/saturation wise but in the low midtones of luminance it's a tad too dark for me and my wife (rest is spot on). I've been told calibration fixes that. Would like to see your 950+ 4K HDR material and if it looks great find out who your calibrator is.
So you got me thinking. I am looking into hiring a calibrator as it is something that just him me to do. Also, I am installing a new screen this weekend which should be helpful for those who may be looking for a top notch AT screen.

DREAMSCREEN ULTRAWEAVE V6 PRO XXL - https://dreamscreen.no/collections/p...fit-all-system

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...l#post47995521
its phillip, BCRSS and Lygren like this.
post #110 of 226 Old 09-27-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you got me thinking. I am looking into hiring a calibrator as it is something that just him me to do. Also, I am installing a new screen this weekend which should be helpful for those who may be looking for a top notch AT screen.

DREAMSCREEN ULTRAWEAVE V6 PRO XXL - https://dreamscreen.no/collections/p...fit-all-system

How did you get turned on to that screen? What screen are you moving away from?
post #111 of 226 Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
How did you get turned on to that screen? What screen are you moving away from?
CEDIA 2015 when I was lucky enough to get to help out setting up the Alcons demo room. That was the screen they used. I am on the far right (+50 lbs).

Have a Falcon Screen and keeping the frame.
popalock, its phillip and Lygren like this.
post #112 of 226 Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure how busy his schedule is, but you might want to see if Ken Whitcomb, aka @D6500Ken , is up for a visit if you have 3-5 people in the area who want calibrations.
thxman and Lygren like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #113 of 226 Old 09-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
I'm not sure how busy his schedule is, but you might want to see if Ken Whitcomb, aka @D6500Ken , is up for a visit if you have 3-5 people in the area who want calibrations.
Thanks mark. I've hard questions about HDR on my projector, and asked the JVC-X750R owners thread for help. they told me that my concerns were all because I needed calibration and they would wait for that to happened before continuing to help me. When I said that I am happy to do that , i was told that only the calibrator "ChadB" knows how to properly fix the JVC 2015 projector line, and if I didn't use him the members of that particular thread would discount what i am saying because they trust no one else.

I am happy to use anyone that can help, but is it true that the JVC line is that hard to calibrate?
post #114 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:

How did it work out retrofitting the V6? HDR calibration is indeed a slippery slope on the RS600, and with the Kaleidescape I guess you´d need an external tone mapping device as well, right? Not sure if the Kaleidescape will allow you to output [email protected], 10-bit and 4K using a HDfury? The UB900 does have build-in tone mapping and it does work quite well too, but not very suited for playback of various demo content files unfortunately. I have just received a bunch of the new Sony 1000ES UHD players, not sure if it has any tone mapping settings though, but if it does it should be able to playback media files quite well at least? Still, a properly calibrated rec709, using high quality Blu-ray-clips really looks steller on the RS600, and the Kaleidescape is also very nice in such regards, allowing you to set up timecoded playlists etc.
thxman likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #115 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
How did it work out retrofitting the V6? HDR calibration is indeed a slippery slope on the RS600, and with the Kaleidescape I guess you´d need an external tone mapping device as well, right? Not sure if the Kaleidescape will allow you to output [email protected], 10-bit and 4K using a HDfury? The UB900 does have build-in tone mapping and it does work quite well too, but not very suited for playback of various demo content files unfortunately. I have just received a bunch of the new Sony 1000ES UHD players, not sure if it has any tone mapping settings though, but if it does it should be able to playback media files quite well at least? Still, a properly calibrated rec709, using high quality Blu-ray-clips really looks steller on the RS600, and the Kaleidescape is also very nice in such regards, allowing you to set up timecoded playlists etc.
The V6 screen is up and looks fantastic! I have the Linker ready to go for the RS600. I have not had any of the calibrators I have reached out to respond to me as of yet. :|
Lygren likes this.
post #116 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
I havent read entire thread...but at your gtg any testing gonna be measured? or just listen and enjoy/talk?
post #117 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I havent read entire thread...but at your gtg any testing gonna be measured? or just listen and enjoy/talk?
I doubt there will be much time for any critical testing. Most of the gear will be in less than ideal areas for critical listening.
popalock and torii like this.
post #118 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
thanks Im jelly...hope you all have a blast and share some thoughts ofc
thxman likes this.
post #119 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I doubt there will be much time for any critical testing. Most of the gear will be in less than ideal areas for critical listening.
Agree on this front. Hard to attempt critical listening when you are attempting to get to know everyone...I say let's keep this light and spend more time enjoying our host's awesome space than anything else.

I still owe you a call buddy. Been busy with work...really busy.
Mark Seaton and thxman like this.
post #120 of 226 Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Agree on this front. Hard to attempt critical listening when you are attempting to get to know everyone...I say let's keep this light and spend more time enjoying our host's awesome space than anything else.

I still owe you a call buddy. Been busy with work...really busy.
No worries at all. I fully and truly understand. Found someone remarkable and my theater is trivial (though I will get it done and this event will be great).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page