Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1226Likes

post #541 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
I won’t be able to make it the 18th, I have a wedding that day. On the theater front, I am working on getting the NAS and Plex on speaking terms. I turned the subs up a little in hopes of them not sucking as much. We watched RPO, and to me it was a quiet movie so I had the volume turned up more then normal. After the movie my wife asked if I had turned the subs up for a scene and I hadn’t. She thought the room was collapsing on us! So I guess I just need to keep them turned up. Also considering getting an Xbox 1X to be able to play 4K. Nothing I have is 4K, but I kinda want to get one now to spread out the purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex was also talking about RPO. He believes it might have a scene in it that has the most bass his system has ever output. And that is actually a little scary to think about with Alex's system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Alex was also talking about RPO. He believes it might have a scene in it that has the most bass his system has ever output. And that is actually a little scary to think about with Alex's system.
RP1 at the "Alex" setting, seemed to have tremendous bass througout the movie. The Kong scenes were great fun, but wow , oh wow, there is scene closer to the end of the film that was so powerful, I wondered if any 5 star movie could top it! I was amazed!!
To see what the bass from RP1 did upstairs, I could see just how potent the movie truly was!!

For sale: 1 Mackie c300z speaker, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #543 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
We watched RPO, and to me it was a quiet movie so I had the volume turned up more then normal. After the movie my wife asked if I had turned the subs up for a scene and I hadn’t. She thought the room was collapsing on us! So I guess I just need to keep them turned up.
I know just the scene she is likely referring to! The movie itself is fantastic for bass, but the bass scene when the orb of ocuvax is disabled is truly something to behold!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The suspense is killing me on RPO. It's on my list to watch for sure.
post #545 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
The suspense is killing me on RPO. It's on my list to watch for sure.
Are you going to be able to make it early on 4/18? @SOWK plans to arrive about at 12 to check out some clips from it.

I have taken the time to go through the whole RP1 movie and note the great time stamps.

post #546 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Are you going to be able to make it early on 4/18? @SOWK plans to arrive about at 12 to check out some clips from it.

I have taken the time to go through the whole RP1 movie and note the great time stamps.
I'm going to try. There is a lot of remodeling going on right now set my house, plus I may have just fried my xbox trying to replace the wifi module...
post #547 of 2498 Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Any updates from anyone?

Latest on the theater or entertainment areas?
The new JVC RS-420 has been hooked up in the room, and we were able to watch the new Tomb Raider movie and Annihilation on Saturday. Neither movie was that great, but we were happy with the sound, and the JVC picture was just beautiful.

There's still a lot of work to be done, the ceiling speakers need to be mounted, the sub cable splitter I bought was defective, so I'm waiting for a replacement that should be here Wednesday. I also ordered some black velvet from Amazon that should show up in the next week or so.

But even unfinished, it's still usable for the wife and me, and will only get better over time.

Scott

post #548 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Wow...things are moving fast for you now Scott! That is great to hear.

Pretty awesome you now have it in a usable state as well!

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 08-07-2018 at 05:12 AM.
post #549 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 139
That's exciting Scott! Out of curiosity, how did you handle the screen and wall? That is one of the next things I am hoping to tackle and am thinking about trying BIGmouthinDC's "Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall". It also sounds like everyone really likes the Seymour XD screen, so I'm most likely heading that way too.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #550 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
That's exciting Scott! Out of curiosity, how did you handle the screen and wall? That is one of the next things I am hoping to tackle and am thinking about trying BIGmouthinDC's "Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall". It also sounds like everyone really likes the Seymour XD screen, so I'm most likely heading that way too.
Seymour XD screen is an excellent screen from about 11 feet and further out.

If you sit within 11 feet I would tend to recommend a different material.

SOWK Home Theater
post #551 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Want to know who the real winner is of all these GTG's....

@chriscmore (Chris Seymour).....

LOL

How many of us have or plan to buy Seymour AV now. HAHAHA!

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 08-07-2018 at 09:01 AM.
post #552 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 340
It's looking like I'll be driving through my old stomping grounds after CEDIA. I used to live in Elkhorn, '99-'04. I miss that area...

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #553 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
It's looking like I'll be driving through my old stomping grounds after CEDIA. I used to live in Elkhorn, '99-'04. I miss that area...

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris, do let me know if you would have interest in coming to see my system in Racine, WI during your trip. You would be most welcome. I am repping your Cinema XD material, and Mark Seaton calibrated the system last month

post #554 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
Well, that was one of the things that I didn't plan out as well as I should have. When we built our house, I had planned on repurposing much of our existing equipment, while at the same time looking for great deals on what I was missing. One of those missing items was the screen, and I jumped at the chance to buy a 135" Elite screen from Amazon when it was more than 50% off. Great deal, but it really limited placement.

The original plan was to go with 11 matching Mackie C200 speakers, and I was going to place them below the screen, since it is not acoustically transparent. I couldn't figure out a good way to mount them to the ceiling, though, and that's when I discovered the JBL SCS 8 speakers. That lead to buying Studio 5 speakers for the other seven channels. Problem is that they're tall (50"), so the bottom of the screen has to be taller than they are. I've got the screen mounted to a lifter on the front wall. So when watching 2.35:1 movies, the top of the screen is lowered to adjust the aspect ratio. When watching 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 movies the top is raised to meet the ceiling. It's a compromise, but some will consider it screen too high up.

That probably a longer story than you needed. Lesson learned is to not buy the screen until you're sure of what speakers your going to use. With that said, if I were to do it again, I'd go with an acoustically transparent screen, where the speaker height doesn't matter. I would also use Big's guide for building a false wall. At some point I'll redo the room (I'm considering this the .5 version) and I'll go with a setup like that. There are tons of great examples in that thread, and it seems the easiest to pull off.

Scott

post #555 of 2498 Old 08-07-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow...things are moving fast for you now Scott! That is great to hear.

Pretty awesome you now have it in a usable state as well!
Well, after seeing Alex's setup it's hard to go back to watching movies on the 65" TV set in the living room.

That's one of the rewards of GTGs, they can be very inspiring.

The problem is that now that it's usable, there's less motivation to complete it. Isn't that the old adage, once the projector is working, work on the theater is done?

post #556 of 2498 Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Well, after seeing Alex's setup it's hard to go back to watching movies on the 65" TV set in the living room.

The problem is that now that it's usable, there's less motivation to complete it. Isn't that the old adage, once the projector is working, work on the theater is done?
Feel free to read post 58 and 59 of my build thread... lol

That might answer your question!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post20900934

SOWK Home Theater
post #557 of 2498 Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

They can also make you buy stuff you never thought you needed or wanted.... LOL

Example: I went to Lbrown's GTG and ended up selling my "at the time" dream Vandersteen setup...

If someone would have gone back in time and told the younger me I would be selling them for a Pro designed focused consumer speaker (JTR/Seaton) I would have thought they needed to go to a mental hospital.

SOWK Home Theater
post #558 of 2498 Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They can also make you buy stuff you never thought you needed or wanted.... LOL

Example: I went to Lbrown's GTG and ended up selling my "at the time" dream Vandersteen setup...

If someone would have gone back in time and told the younger me I would be selling them for a Pro designed focused consumer speaker (JTR/Seaton) I would have thought they needed to go to a mental hospital.
GTG's are a great time! My first gtg was in Northern Wisconsin, where I got to hear Seation Catslyst 12C's and JTR Triple 12's in a living room, alongside 2 lms 5400 drivers in large sealed cabinets. That was an amazing experience to hear equipment I was interested in, while also first exposing me to the concept of DIY subwoofers.

That gtg spawned into another gtg up north, also in a living room, with 6 lms 5400 drivers. At the time, I thought those 5400 drivers from TC Sounds were the only ones for me, if I were ever to do DIY.

I met members of the Kansas City crew at my first gtg, I traveled there to hear the systems of @Archaea and @carp , among others. I got the opportunity to hear a JTR cap pro compared to the Seaton Submersive. I had been considering purchasing 2 submersives, and it was nice to hear how they performed with gun shots. I found I did like what having the ports on the cap did for explosions as well.

Attending the JTR open house and the gtg at @lbrown105 exposed me to the impact that horn subs are capable of producing. The Orbit Shifter came on my radar for that 25 hz slam, but it didnt dig deep below 20 hz.

I jumped at the opportunity when @Mark Seaton produced his 8 Terraform D18's in a ported design, snagging 4 of them. At the same time, I went ahead and purchased three of his Cat 12c's! After the purchase, I rushed to find a house for them, since I was living in an apartment at the time.

I went ahead and purchased Mackie speakers for surround duty, based upon the recommendation of @Archaea . Those Mackie speakers have served me well.

I have always found horn subs to have something that I like when it comes to chest slam. I began to look into getting some horn subs, to combine with my ported subs.

I began to relook at JTR Orbit Shifters. I ended up attending a GTG in MN with @lukeamdman . It was at this point that I discovered DIY horn subs! I liked the Othorns so much that I ended up buying the original 2 othorns built by Josh Ricci. Hearing what those 2 were capable of in my house, I went ahead and got 6 more built, which was a whole adventure in itself!

GTG's are fun, and they can inspire a whole new course of thinking. Not too nice to the pocket book, however!

Last edited by pennynike1; 08-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #559 of 2498 Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 PM

So to add to the fact that GTGs tend to stretch our wallets, does anyone have a umik-1 that they would be willing to lend out in a couple months once my next build is complete? I've got a 3.5mm Dayton microphone, but I question it's ability to measure down low. Unless of course I just use it to see where my room modes are sucking out bass, and then repositioning my subs based on that. No worries either way.
post #560 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Reminder that this weekend is the First Official Movie Night at PennyNike1's

(Alex is nice enough to allow an open invite to the movie night.)

August 18th 2018

Noon till ???

Movie starts at 3:00PM

Featuring:

Avengers Infinity War

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by Mike Lang; 08-19-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #561 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
So to add to the fact that GTGs tend to stretch our wallets, does anyone have a umik-1 that they would be willing to lend out in a couple months once my next build is complete? I've got a 3.5mm Dayton microphone, but I question it's ability to measure down low. Unless of course I just use it to see where my room modes are sucking out bass, and then repositioning my subs based on that. No worries either way.

Text message sent.

SOWK Home Theater
post #562 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Anyone close to opening up their theater for a GTG or future movie night?

SOWK Home Theater
post #563 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Isco IIIL 1.33x Anamorphic Lenses

FYI badgers...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post56632150

Quote:
Isco IIIL 1.33x Anamorphic Lenses - New! Lowered Price!
Hi All,

I have 3 ISCO lenses for sale that are unopened, new stock - model 345.05. These were purchased a few years ago at my work and were never used. They have been sitting on a shelf since then and need to find a good home. All lenses have the lens caps, static bag, and carry case intact.

Adjusting price to $1650 shipped! Need to fix my truck :/
I have no financial (or any other) relationship with seller. Just thought it sounded like a great deal.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #564 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Wow... now that is cheap for a ISCO III

SOWK Home Theater
post #565 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
Wow... now that is cheap for a ISCO III
Yes, you could buy all of them and jump start your HT AV install and calibration business.

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #566 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

I know you will hate this answer... But I still prefer my zoom method.

SOWK Home Theater
post #567 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Hi Chris, do let me know if you would have interest in coming to see my system in Racine, WI during your trip. You would be most welcome. I am repping your Cinema XD material, and Mark Seaton calibrated the system last month
Racine? I'm in Kenosha! Technically I'm in Pleasant Prairie but I'm moving to Kenosha on Sept. 14th so my meager theater has to come down for a while. Good news is the new house has a totally unfinished basement with 7' ceilings!
post #568 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Can you make movie night on the 18th to celebrate your new home?

SOWK Home Theater
post #569 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Can you make movie night on the 18th to celebrate your new home?
I don't hate it.
Life is simpler with less gear.

post #570 of 2498 Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
Racine? I'm in Kenosha! Technically I'm in Pleasant Prairie but I'm moving to Kenosha on Sept. 14th so my meager theater has to come down for a while. Good news is the new house has a totally unfinished basement with 7' ceilings!
You are relatively close to me. Small world. Do let me know if you have interest in attending the gtg scheduled for August 18.

Last edited by pennynike1; 08-13-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page