Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 557Likes

post #661 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
There is "rumor" a member of our Group is going to get the JVC DILA-NX9 by mid to late November 2018....

($17,999 MSRP True 4K projector)

If anyone is interested in seeing it after it is released I'm sure the owner would be willing to show off a little.

Indeed -- count me in!

On paper at least, that projector appears to be a very nice unit. I was surprised at the high MSRP in comparison to the non-laser 2017 models, but when put into perspective with the 4500, it's a downright bargain.

Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
DTS:X Resources | Dolby Atmos Resources
Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas. - Henry Thomas Buckle - historian and author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScreen View Post
Indeed -- count me in!

On paper at least, that projector appears to be a very nice unit. I was surprised at the high MSRP in comparison to the non-laser 2017 models, but when put into perspective with the 4500, it's a downright bargain.
@BigScreen , Welcome to the group.

If you dont mind, tell us a little about yourself, your current setup, and aspirations within this hobby we all love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 09-28-2018 at 11:11 AM.
post #663 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
There is "rumor" a member of our Group is going to get the JVC DILA-NX9 by mid to late November 2018....

($17,999 MSRP True 4K projector)

If anyone is interested in seeing it after it is released I'm sure the owner would be willing to show off a little.

I’m in pending date and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So question. What does the new projector offer that the existing laser projector lacks. Seeing Alex's picture was amazing so I'm just wondering.
post #665 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
So question. What does the new projector offer that the existing laser projector lacks. Seeing Alex's picture was amazing so I'm just wondering.
True 2160p vs EShift 2160p on the Epson Laser.
Better and even more accurate coloring.
Masking control.
Brighter picture.
Sharper picture with a much better lens.
Better input latency for gaming.
Better morion handling.
Native HDR Tone Mapping
HDMI 18GBps Ports

Etc. 🙂

SOWK Home Theater
post #666 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 04:36 PM

Wow. An even sharper picture as well?! You're going to be able to tell if the actress shaved her legs that morning 😂
post #667 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow. An even sharper picture as well?! You're going to be able to tell if the actress shaved her legs that morning 😂
Yes sir! 🙂

SOWK Home Theater
post #668 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I guess that's the rabbit hole that we all have found though. Take my relatives for instance. They could care less about atmos or 7.1. Give them a large screen and a decent sub and they are thrilled. Nobody blinding then with a cellphone light or talking on their phone during a movie.

I see where you're coming from and I agree with you, however the ability to remove distractions increases my enjoyment during a movie tenfold. Idk where I'm going with this, carry on haha.
Agree on your point regarding distractions. The last movie I saw was "The Nun" on the ultra screen, and the picture quality was sub par considering the high ticket price. Often, movie theater bass is also sub par, and I have heard bad sound in theaters as well.

My point was more that actual movie theaters have space potential.

For sale: 2 Mackie c300z speakers, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #669 of 2186 Old 09-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Agree on your point regarding distractions. The last movie I saw was "The Nun" on the ultra screen, and the picture quality was sub par considering the high ticket price. Often, movie theater bass is also sub par, and I have heard bad sound in theaters as well.

My point was more that actual movie theaters have space potential.
True. I have also found that the sound can be shrill in a theater. Granted dolby certified theaters have sounded much better compared to thx theaters of the past.
post #670 of 2186 Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 AM

Today is the day!
post #671 of 2186 Old 09-30-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What a wonderful time yesterday!

Thanks to @SOWK (Tony) for hosting, along with his wife, Colleen!

Shout out to Rad & Holly, Tom, @Mark Seaton , @Jeff Permanian , Scott & Nicki. Great chatting with all of you!!

Last edited by pennynike1; 09-30-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #672 of 2186 Old 09-30-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 88
What a terrific get together yesterday! It was great to experience one of AVS's Home Theaters of the Month in person, and get a bonus peek behind the scenes. It's a true testament to what an enthusiast can accomplish with vision, time, and sweat. The dark interior really makes the image pop, and the surround and sub interaction really pulls the viewer into the action. Love the look of the room. And on top of that you've got the new and super-fun lobby area, which serves as a nice gathering and play area; it really rounds out the basement space nicely.

And the gathering itself was loads of fun, with good conversations, and great company.

Thanks, Tony and Collen, for hosting the group, and opening your home to us. Nicki and I had a wonderful time.

Scott

post #673 of 2186 Old 09-30-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I apologize in advance for this off-topic post, but for any Wisconsin geeks and nerds in the group, Wizard World Madison is coming up on Nov. 30 - Dec. 2. Three-day passes are just $9.99 for a limited time. I meant to post this Friday night when they were actually free, but just forgot to do it. Guest include William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols from the original Star Trek, Kevin Sorbo, Matt Ryan, Jon Herder and others.

After seeing convention ticket prices rising to amazing, rock-concert priced levels, it's nice to see them drop to the point most people can afford them.

Scott

post #674 of 2186 Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
@BigScreen , Welcome to the group.

If you dont mind, tell us a little about yourself, your current setup, and aspirations within this hobby we all love.

Thanks!

I've been in this hobby since 1993 when I attended the Chicago CES and experienced a home theater demo that left a lasting impression.

I started with a TV and a pseudo-surround sound system in my apartment, which then expanded to a true Pro-Logic system, a sub, and so on. About 14 years ago, I was able to build a dedicated room that now has a 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X capable system using Boston Acoustics THX fronts and surrounds, lighting a 118" wide 2.35:1 screen with a JVC HD-250 that I'm looking to replace with one of the new JVC 4K units.

My to-do list includes tuning the sound in the room and the aforementioned projector replacement, but first and foremost, just to use the room more often to enjoy movies rather than obsess about what could be changed/tweaked.

Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas. - Henry Thomas Buckle - historian and author
post #675 of 2186 Old 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The movie GTG held by @SOWK was a great success, and I will be hosting the next movie GTG on 10/27 in Racine. The GTG will be horror themed.

Tentatively, the plan is to show the following movies:

The Mummy (1999)
The Conjuring
IT (2017)
Resident Evil

Inbetween the movies, I will be showing demo clips from the following:

Underworld Awakening
Wonder Woman
Deadpool 2
The Haunting
John Wick
Fantastic 4 (2015)
Ready Player One
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Several forum members have already committed to attend, however, I still have seats available for those that are interested. Please pm me if you would like to attend!

post #676 of 2186 Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've been in this hobby since 1993 when I attended the Chicago CES and experienced a home theater demo that left a lasting impression.
I think my wife and I may have been at that show. The demo didn't happen to be an M&K system showing a scene from Far and Away, was it? I know we both left very impressed with that experience, and it really showed how close the movie experience could be replicated in a home environment. It was eye opening.

It's amazing how much more grand and affordable tech has gotten in the last 25 years. As impressive as that demo was, it's well within the budget of most people today (depending on their priorities).

Scott

post #677 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
I was able to build a dedicated room that now has a 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X capable system using Boston Acoustics THX fronts and surrounds, lighting a 118" wide 2.35:1 screen with a JVC HD-250 that I'm looking to replace with one of the new JVC 4K units.

My to-do list includes tuning the sound in the room and the aforementioned projector replacement, but first and foremost, just to use the room more often to enjoy movies rather than obsess about what could be changed/tweaked.
Moving from the JVC HD-250 to one of the NEW JVC 4K units will be a huge step up!

We all go through the obsession phase of tweaking and changes from what I have seen...

Also, You are welcome to stop by Alex's (PennyNike1's) Oct 27th for movie night if you can make it.

SOWK Home Theater
post #678 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
I think my wife and I may have been at that show. The demo didn't happen to be an M&K system showing a scene from Far and Away, was it? I know we both left very impressed with that experience, and it really showed how close the movie experience could be replicated in a home environment. It was eye opening.

It's amazing how much more grand and affordable tech has gotten in the last 25 years. As impressive as that demo was, it's well within the budget of most people today (depending on their priorities).

Scott

That's the show! I don't recall what speaker system was being used. I had seen Far and Away in 70mm previously, so the land race scene was fresh in my mind. Seeing that scene on a system that could be installed in a home (even though what was being demoed was prohibitively expensive) served as inspiration to want to seek that same experience.

Quote:
Moving from the JVC HD-250 to one of the NEW JVC 4K units will be a huge step up!

We all go through the obsession phase of tweaking and changes from what I have seen...

Also, You are welcome to stop by Alex's (PennyNike1's) Oct 27th for movie night if you can make it.

It's a constant process, but I've reached a point where I'm happy with the system and try my best to enjoy what I have instead of constantly yearning for something I don't have. I think you reach a point where there are diminishing returns. It's certainly a part of the hobby to continually chase that last 0.5% of improvement, those gains are hard-fought and usually expensive!

The HD-250 is still a very nice 1080p projector, and that's why I've kept it so long. I do admit to being tempted by the 4K models, which is why I've been following the news that came out of the IFA and CEDIA shows. The pre-order pricing is good (when compared to the MSRP), but the RS-2000 still commands a substantial price. The German part of my heritage and makes it difficult to replace something that's working just fine, and I tend to take quite a while to make large purchases. When I do, it's for equipment like the HD-250, where there is a lot of bang for the buck and they can be used for a really long time (I'm still using my Boston Acoustics 555x fronts and M&K sub that I bought in the 90's).

I do believe that the RS-2000 would be a marked improvement over the HD250, in many different ways. My guess is that if someone let me demo an RS-2000 in my room, it wouldn't get returned...

post #679 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

We have lots of available movies and seats avail for Alex's Oct 27th Movie Get Together.

Don't be shy!!! This is a great way to get to know each other and spend some time with like minded enthusiasts.

Plus I almost promise you will never have felt the Jon Wick Club scene like this before!

Lets see if we can get some new members to join in on the fun!

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 10-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #680 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the show! I don't recall what speaker system was being used. I had seen Far and Away in 70mm previously, so the land race scene was fresh in my mind. Seeing that scene on a system that could be installed in a home (even though what was being demoed was prohibitively expensive) served as inspiration to want to seek that same experience.
Yeah, that was the scene. It was M&K's THX system, and made for an amazing demo. I think we were most impressed by the subwoofers, as we had never experienced that level of bass before. (Of course that can be blown away these days, witness the recent GTGs at Alex and Tony's home theaters.)

Quote:
The HD-250 is still a very nice 1080p projector, and that's why I've kept it so long. I do admit to being tempted by the 4K models, which is why I've been following the news that came out of the IFA and CEDIA shows. The pre-order pricing is good (when compared to the MSRP), but the RS-2000 still commands a substantial price. The German part of my heritage and makes it difficult to replace something that's working just fine, and I tend to take quite a while to make large purchases. When I do, it's for equipment like the HD-250, where there is a lot of bang for the buck and they can be used for a really long time (I'm still using my Boston Acoustics 555x fronts and M&K sub that I bought in the 90's).

I do believe that the RS-2000 would be a marked improvement over the HD250, in many different ways. My guess is that if someone let me demo an RS-2000 in my room, it wouldn't get returned...
It's remarkable that we followed similar paths, perhaps it's the combination of our German heritage and the CES demo.

We just upgraded our JVC RS-10 (one model year older than your HD-250) to the JVC RS-420. It was an AVS Store open-box deal, and while it's not one of the new, native 4K units, it's still quite an upgrade over the old RS-10. I figure it will be solid enough to last until JVC upgrades their lineup with affordable laser-illuminated 4K or even 8K units. I think you'd be quite happy with any of the new JVC projectors, and would get quite a few years of use out of it. If you're not in a hurry, keep any eye open on the AVS Store's Friday flash sales and you may pick up a bargain a few months after the new ones have been released. Their open-box units are usually like new, and come with a full manufacture's warranty.

Scott

post #681 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My first surround system consisted of the professional line of active speakers from M&K. I still have very fond memories of those powered monitors, along with the 5410p subwoofer. I remember how enamored I was with that subwoofer, featuring dual 12" drivers!

Last edited by pennynike1; 10-02-2018 at 08:06 PM.
post #682 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, memories. Anyone else from the group want to share their first experience with home theater that really ignited your interest in this hobby?

post #683 of 2186 Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, memories. Anyone else from the group want to share their first experience with home theater that really ignited your interest in this hobby?
There is actually another layer to my story. Back in 1999/2000, I first purchased 3 non-active M&K speakers on ebay. It turned out that the seller had sold me the speakers because he had upgraded to the active monitors. The seller turned out to be a sound engineer for Lightstorm Entertainment, James Cameron's company. I reached out to the seller, and he hooked me up with a good deal on 7 active speakers, plus my sub.

At the time, TH Surround Ex was a thing, and the person who had sold me the speakers had worked on Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition. Great times!

Last edited by pennynike1; 10-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #684 of 2186 Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Here are a few Pictures from the last Group Movie Get Together:

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by Mike Lang; 08-19-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #685 of 2186 Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
I loved reading the posts that left a lasting impression on srw1000 and BigScreen. Fun to see how everyone gets bit by the HT bug.

I got hooked with the home theater bug when I was about 14 years old in the very early 90's. My uncle had a Pioneer Laser Disc player hooked up to a HUUUUGE 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV. Sound was being played through a Marantz Quadraphonic 4 channel receiver. His speakers were also Marantz, a 3-way design that I recall had tweeter and bass trim level knobs to adjust their sound once the speaker grills were removed. I also recall he had blown one of the OEM woofers and replaced it with a Pyle driver purchased at a car audio store. I wandered into his TV room one night while he was watching Star Trek II on Laser Disc. All the lights were off it he room and I remember the TV picturing casting light and shadows on the walls. I thought it was the coolest thing on earth.... sound all around me!!!

For money I had a paper route and during the summers I mowed lawns. I home theater was built over the course of two years around 1992 to 1994. I purchased the the largest TV I could afford, a 19" Sanyo color TV. My uncle was a manger at a Radio Shack so he hooked me up with a deal on a Realistic Hi-Fi VCR. I remember him stressing to me I needed the hi-fi version of the VCR. Next purchase was a Sony Dolby surround sound AVR. This was before Pro-Logic. The Sony only had 4 speaker outputs (no center channel). I used two old bookshelf speakers my dad handed down to me for rears and I purchased a pair of Paradigm Atom speakers for the front. I was in bliss. The first movie I watched was Speed. the bus explosion was the coolest, or so I thought.

Within a year I needed to upgrade. Dolby Pro-Logic was released and included a center channel. I sold my Sony AVR to a friend and purchased a JVC Receiver RX-554V with Pro-Logic. I then needed a center channel speaker. I recall needing to find a shielded speaker so I could set the speaker on the top of my TV. I found a 2-way Infinity speaker finished in golden oak. It didn't match my black ash Paradigm speakers, but I didn't care. I had FIVE speakers!

About a year later I built my first "speaker". I purchased a Realistic 10" driver and built the largest ported box I could with scrap particle board my dad gave me. I purchased a high level input/output speakers terminal with a built in high pass filter. That was my first subwoofer. If I remember correctly the response of that driver reached all the way down to 45Hz.

I've been upgrading ever since with a few major milestones
  • 2004 - Purchased my first DVD player, built a dedicate movie room and purchased my first projector (720p) with a 92" screen
  • 2006 - Attempted to stay format neutral and purchased both HD-DVD and BluRay player (PS3)
  • 2007 - Upgraded to 7.2 surround sound, purchased a 1080p projector and built my first DIY screen in order to break the 100" screen size
  • 2008 - Speaker upgrades that began my DIY speaker journey
  • 2013 - Complete remodel of the theater room - wired for 9.2 and included acoustic treatments
  • 2017 - New house and new theater room.

Oh how far I've come. 92" screen to 132". 5.1 surround sound to 9.4.6. A dim 720p projector to bright 4k (e-shift) projector. A hand-me-down couch in the middle of the room to 6 dedicated theater chairs with power recline. It's been quite the journey so far.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #686 of 2186 Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are a few Pictures from the last Group Movie Get Together:
I found it awesome that Tom and I both just happened to be wearing shirts with the batman symbol, in front of the batman poster!

post #687 of 2186 Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Just as a heads up, I doubt my room will be done by early next month for the get together.
post #688 of 2186 Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just as a heads up, I doubt my room will be done by early next month for the get together.
Sorry to hear that, David. I will talk to all in attendance of my upcoming gtg on 10/27 about a possible gtg in November at my house. I hope ro have something fun to show off in early November.

post #689 of 2186 Old 10-07-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Sorry to hear that, David. I will talk to all in attendance of my upcoming gtg on 10/27 about a possible gtg in November at my house. I hope ro have something fun to show off in early November.
Sounds good Alex. Took on some extra work, and it's eating up time.
post #690 of 2186 Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If anyone else would like to volunteer to host a gtg in the 2nd or 3rd week of November, please do let me know.

Last edited by pennynike1; 10-08-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page