Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #961 of 2039 Old 01-22-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
@cchunter

Welcome to the group!

Be sure to check out the gear for sale post if you are looking for a good deal on some JTR gear.... (Link in signature)

Shameless plug. HA!
Your 212s for sale took me here. Payment plan hee hee ? Taxes are right around the corner hmm...

Sony 75X900E 4K
Marantz SR7011 Parasound Halo A52+
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's, RP500SAs Atmos
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 2039 Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Your 212s for sale took me here. Payment plan hee hee ? Taxes are right around the corner hmm...
I suspect there may be a delay in tax returns this year.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #963 of 2039 Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Sorry for the barrage of posts, but it is to help keep me motivated and on track.

Home Theater Planner:

By the end of January
Projector: JVC DILA-NX7 - DONE
Sound Baffle Walls: 16" Rockwool Safe"n"Sound baffle walls in front and rear of the theater - IN PROGRESS

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-23-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 2039 Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Sorry for the barrage of posts, but it is to help keep me motivated and on track.

Home Theater Planner:

By the end of January
Projector: JVC DILA-NX7 - DONE
Sound Baffle Walls: 16" Rockwool Safe"n"Sound baffle walls in front and rear of the theater - IN PROGRESS
Great to see your progress -- especially for most of us that are relatively static in our home theaters.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #965 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

**** Below is about UHD HDR Only, not SDR ****

So after spending more time with the NX7, it is just border line bright enough in my space. Very unfortunate TBH.

But "Oh My" does the thing throw a beautiful picture.

It would be absolutely breathtaking on a "smaller" 130" screen with 1.3+ gain.

The DCI/Rec 2020 filter offers the best color I have seen from a projected display. But there is just no way for me to use on my screen size due to an additional 23-30% light reduction with the filter in place.

When I get the new bulb (Free extra bulb for purchases before March) I might throw that in just to see if my current bulb is just not that good.

Here is hoping!

Unfortunately I have a few things fighting me.

I cant be at short throw (Brightest throw for projectors)
I dont have an anamorphic lens, A "good enough" one for this level of projector is in the $3500+ range
I dont have a lumagen with even more extensive HDR Tone Mapping options.
I dont have the NX9 with 300 more lumens.

LOL

I will continue to play with the tone mapping options, but Alex and I did adjust a lot last night and the previous settings I had already established from the first night still seemed to be the best in the end.

I will have one more go at it tonight, then I will just have to wait for the bulb and see if that fixes it or if not hope it doesn't dim further till my next yearly upgrade again.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-24-2019 at 04:53 AM.
post #966 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I dont have an anamorphic lens, A "good enough" one for this level of projector is in the $3500+ range
Dooo it! An anamorphic lens would definitely help gain some brightness and you can always use it on the next projector. Panamorph offers a direct bolt on lens for only $9k. https://www.panamorph.com/jvc-dla-rs3000-dla-nx9/
post #967 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Unfortunately, It is most definitely NOT in the budget.

Alex is going to stop by for a round two tonight with the Panasonic 820 and we will see if that will "fix" our problems.

Likely not, but worth a shot.

SOWK Home Theater
post #968 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I currently have the JVC NX9 at home, and it is calling to me. It remains sealed and unopened.

From my experience at Tony's house yesterday, it appears that the Nx7 is not an option for me to downgrade to due to my screen size, but I have my fingers crossed that the new panasonic will work some magic tonight. It may not due to the minimum nit rating it requires. The oppo 203 seems like it handles the highlights excellent and seems to display a brighter picture than the auto tone mapping of the JVC Nx7, but the nx7's tone mapping is fantastic for dark scenes like in the beginning of IT.

Really hoping that the panasonic 820 shocks us tonight and manages a bright picture with nice highlights, while at the same time not crushing black!

For sale: 2 Mackie c300z speakers, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #969 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Unfortunately the Nit control is what generates the brightness from an HDR source.

Think of the Nit control as the Backlight of a TV in a way.

The Dark control is gamma like adjustment near the bottom end of the scale and the Light control is the white gamma like adjustment near the top end of the scale.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-24-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #970 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Alright guys I'm looking to get down a date for my first GTG and my first chance to get to meet some of you. I'm located in Sussex, WI.

I'm looking at having it on Saturday Feb 16th but could change it to Sunday the 17th if that ends up working better for prospective attendees.
Looks like Sunday 2/17 works better so far so I am setting the date to that. I'm not sure what time-frame yet either but I am open to whatever works best for everyone.

I want to keep it small as this is my first GTG and I only really have 5 seats and seeing as it is an apartment, so I am limiting it to 4 guests.

Gear that you will get to see and hear:
Panasonic PT-AE8000U (with 3D ability to use) (and an interesting custom apartment mounting solution)
136" DIY painted screen
Denon X4200W AVR
Axiom M22 Front / VP100 Center / QS4 surround
BIC F12 Sub (I know, I know, but it IS an apartment after all )

Bonus things to do and see if people want:
Sennheiser HD800 headphones and Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Tube Amp
HTC Vive VR setup with large roomscale playspace
Interesting hybrid home server / HTPC virtual machine setup for mass video storage, backups, and media playback on for the theater.

So I figure we can hang out and do what people want, watch/listen to video demo clips, watch a full movie (I have LOTS on my file server), eat some food and of course talk HT stuff! I am planning some upgrades soon so you guys can give me your knowledgeable suggestions and such. It should be a really fun time and a good chance to meet a few of you before I start to come to some of your own GTGs.

Sunday 2/17 Attendee list:
1. SWOK
2. pennynike1
3. tortelvis

Last edited by SirMaster; 02-04-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #971 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

@SirMaster seems like a very intelligent individual based on our Theater/PC talks already. So I'm sure he will be adding a wealth of knowledge to our group as time goes on.

SOWK Home Theater
post #972 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately the Nit control is what generates the brightness from an HDR source.

Think of the Nit control as the Backlight of a TV in a way.

The Dark control is gamma like adjustment near the bottom end of the scale and the Light control is the white gamma like adjustment near the top end of the scale.
It sucks that the pani only allows a minimum of 500 nits. I am still going to hope for the best. Otherwise, nx9, short throw distance, lens and/or lumagen may be only options. I need new speakers, so this stuff is not in my budget.

post #973 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@SirMaster Thanks for stepping up and offering to host! Unfortunately February is too busy for me to go, but it sounds like those that are able to make it will have a good time!

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #974 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks feistyacorn, we'll see who can make it I guess and if nobody else can then I could maybe move it. I'm very free most of the time. I'm more interested in finding a time that works for my guests in the end.
post #975 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Thanks feistyacorn, we'll see who can make it I guess and if nobody else can then I could maybe move it. I'm very free most of the time. I'm more interested in finding a time that works for my guests in the end.
I am glad others are stepping up to host! I will be in Chicago on the weekend of 2/16, but if the date is changed to 2/17, the girlfriend has consented to let me break free and attend.

post #976 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
I am glad others are stepping up to host! I will be in Chicago on the weekend of 2/16, but if the date is changed to 2/17, the girlfriend has consented to let me break free and attend.
No problem, I'm glad to get the opportunity to host and to showcase at least what I have. I know that even if someone has better things you can still get a better understanding and perspective about different gear if even to have a better personal experience to go off of when recommending things to other new people with similar setups. More variety of experience makes everyone better able to articulate and to compare more gear in the future in my experience.

I have changed the date now to Sunday 2/17 (and confirmed with other guest) so that you will be able to attend and I will be excited to have you!
post #977 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem, I'm glad to get the opportunity to host and to showcase at least what I have. I know that even if someone has better things you can still get a better understanding and perspective about different gear if even to have a better personal experience to go off of when recommending things to other new people with similar setups. More variety of experience makes everyone better able to articulate and to compare more gear in the future in my experience.

I have changed the date now to Sunday 2/17 (and confirmed with other guest) so that you will be able to attend and I will be excited to have you!
Good stuff! Looking forward to meeting you!

post #978 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Alright guys I'm looking to get down a date for my first GTG and my first chance to get to meet some of you.

I'm looking at having it on Saturday Feb 16th but could change it to Sunday the 17th if that ends up working better for prospective attendees.
Looks like Sunday 2/17 works better so far so I am setting the date to that. I'm not sure what time-frame yet either but I am open to whatever works best for everyone.

I want to keep it small as this is my first GTG and I only really have 5 seats and seeing as it is an apartment, so I am limiting it to 4 guests.

Gear that you will get to see and hear:
Panasonic PT-AE8000U (with 3D ability to use) (and an interesting custom apartment mounting solution)
136" DIY painted screen
Denon X4200W AVR
Axiom M22 Front / VP100 Center / QS4 surround
BIC F12 Sub (I know, I know, but it IS an apartment after all )

Bonus things to do and see if people want:
Sennheiser HD800 headphones and Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Tube Amp
HTC Vive VR setup with large roomscale playspace
Interesting hybrid home server / HTPC virtual machine setup for mass video storage, backups, and media playback on for the theater.

So I figure we can hang out and do what people want, watch/listen to video demo clips, watch a full movie (I have LOTS on my file server), eat some food and of course talk HT stuff! I am planning some upgrades soon so you guys can give me your knowledgeable suggestions and such. It should be a really fun time and a good chance to meet a few of you before I start to come to some of your own GTGs.

Sunday 2/17 Attendee list:
1. SWOK
2. pennynike1
Remind me again where you are located?
post #979 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Sussex, WI

SOWK Home Theater
post #980 of 2039 Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Unfortunately, It is most definitely NOT in the budget.

Alex is going to stop by for a round two tonight with the Panasonic 820 and we will see if that will "fix" our problems.

Likely not, but worth a shot.
Eager to hear how the 820 works, it's gotten high marks by other users here.

You could always buy another NX7 and stack them. Yes, a costly solution, but you'd get a lot of that back when you go to sell in a year or two.

Scott

post #981 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Panasonic 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

You could always buy another NX7 and stack them. Yes, a costly solution, but you'd get a lot of that back when you go to sell in a year or two.

Scott
Hi Scott. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with how well the Panasonic 820 handled the tone mapping. Results do seemed mixed from movie to movie, but oh my gosh did the opening scenes in Lucy look breathtaking compared to what I have ever seen before! I just really wish that the 820 allowed you to tell the player that we have 200 nit displays, as opposed to a generic projector mode. Colors do sometimes seem better by just using the Oppo + NX7, and using the tone mapping of the NX7. We did not get a chance as I would have liked to test how the NX7 tone mapped with just using the Panasonic as a blu ray player.

My impression remains that the NX7 sometimes seems too dim just using JVC's settings alone. As an added bonus, the 820 also seemed to be adding some brightness. In the event that my will breaks and I do open my NX9, I will try to use the JVC's tone mapping first, and if added brightness is necessary, then I will likely aim to purchase the new Panasonic UB9000. Or, really save up my pennies and try to fund the purchase of a Lumagen.

post #982 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

That was a very accurate discription of what I was seeing as well.

Scene to scene could go one way vs the other, and while the Panasonic 820 did add some brightness to the image, it was not enough for me to go back to disk format vs my digital files being feed into the Oppo.

Panasonic 9000 might be what we need, and might be worth going back to disk for.

SOWK Home Theater
post #983 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Scott

The 820 is actually very very good in its own right TBH.

But it didn't really solve the main issue to me. As Alex mentioned, maybe the Panasonic 9000 with their 350Nit mode would do it. But the 820's 500Nit mode is just not low enough to make much difference over the tone controls inside the JVC by itself.

If anything, it goes to show how good the Tone Mapping is in the new JVC's, as it was splitting hairs trying to decide between the 820 and the native HDR tone mapping of the NX series.

SOWK Home Theater
post #984 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

@srw1000 ....

As for stacking.... I prefer to stay married.

SOWK Home Theater
post #985 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

A friend of mine has a Sony 295es for sale.

Posted in the gear for sale section link in my signature.

SOWK Home Theater
post #986 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Also Axpona is coming soon.

I would encourage the members that have not been to a GTG, try to see if they can make it out and meet up Friday night for Jeff's big GTG Demo room. (I am checking with him if it is free to get in after the show)

I also recommend the ones that have been to GTG's join as well. He and DesertDome are going all out this year. @Jeff Permanian @desertdome

This is the best way to meet everyone before you invite them into your own homes as well.

@Red Five
@tcramer
@Eclipse01
@giomania
@mercracing
@meyer64
@bigmix007
@Cardguy
@Last Mile
@New24K
@sjonet
@MMarzie
@unitedflow1
@Schneeds
@tortelvis
@jtl090179
@cchunter
@SirMaster
@BigScreen
@Jmking

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #987 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 316
There is nothing on the calendar that weekend

Stormbreaker (For Sale) | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #988 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
There is nothing on the calendar that weekend
Now there is.... Axpona... MARK IT DOWN IN INK!!!!

SOWK Home Theater
post #989 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now there is.... Axpona... MARK IT DOWN IN INK!!!!
This is Red Five. Only blood will do!

post #990 of 2039 Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 316
If it is not done with a Marker, it does not count

Stormbreaker (For Sale) | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page