Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1066Likes

post #91 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonet View Post
Hi, all! I'm in the process of building a house in Sun Prairie, WI set for completion in late June, and will have a media room in my finished basement. I've never had the opportunity to have a room that I can dedicate solely to this kind of thing, so I'm pretty excited! Been eyeing up various 4K projectors with the almost-exclusive purpose of doing 4K gaming with PS4 Pro and PC. Would anyone in the area happen to have the JVC DLA-RS540U or the Sony VPL-VW385ES? I've wanted to compare both, considering they both have their merits, and from my admittedly little bit of research, I can't really seem to find a good home theater showroom near Madison that would have these kinds of things on display.

I've got a Marantz SR5010 currently, despite its bizarre behavior, and a set of 7.1 Polk speakers and subwoofer, but will likely be replacing these when my low-voltage contractor comes in. Not sure if I should go with in-wall speakers or keep stuff mounted to the walls themselves and was hoping for suggestions on that front.

Anyway - I'm barely scratching the surface of everything home theater-related and would love to get a better idea of things for when I need to start spending money. Nice to meet you all!

Call up to Sound World in Appleton. They probably have some 4K projectors on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Hi, all! I'm in the process of building a house in Sun Prairie, WI set for completion in late June, and will have a media room in my finished basement. I've never had the opportunity to have a room that I can dedicate solely to this kind of thing, so I'm pretty excited! Been eyeing up various 4K projectors with the almost-exclusive purpose of doing 4K gaming with PS4 Pro and PC. Would anyone in the area happen to have the JVC DLA-RS540U or the Sony VPL-VW385ES? I've wanted to compare both, considering they both have their merits, and from my admittedly little bit of research, I can't really seem to find a good home theater showroom near Madison that would have these kinds of things on display.

I've got a Marantz SR5010 currently, despite its bizarre behavior, and a set of 7.1 Polk speakers and subwoofer, but will likely be replacing these when my low-voltage contractor comes in. Not sure if I should go with in-wall speakers or keep stuff mounted to the walls themselves and was hoping for suggestions on that front.

Anyway - I'm barely scratching the surface of everything home theater-related and would love to get a better idea of things for when I need to start spending money. Nice to meet you all!
There are so many variables to consider.

For video games on PC with a video card like a 1080ti/Titan Xp/Titan V a true 2160P projector (Sony 385ES) will offer you the theoretically sharper and possible pixel perfect 1:1 image.
***But since Sony didn't include 18Gbps HDMI ports on the 385ES I cant recommend it for Native 2160P gaming. 2160p 60Hz 4:2:0 8bit is the max supported.***

For video games on PS4 Pro where most games are not native 2160P either is likely fine.

You really want to find out what one offers the best input response time as well as that will push your decision one way or the other.

That would be my top priority as both will offer a stellar image in the proper environment and lighting conditions.

I for one, would recommend a very large TV 75" or greater for gaming and just sit closer.

As gaming takes up a significant number of hours on a bulb and a TV will last longer and have no additional costs to maintain over the years like a projector would.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #93 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Been eyeing up various 4K projectors with the almost-exclusive purpose of doing 4K gaming with PS4 Pro and PC. Would anyone in the area happen to have the JVC DLA-RS540U or the Sony VPL-VW385ES?
I know you asked about the JVC RS540 vs the Sony 385ES, but we did a comparison to two similar priced projectors this past December at a GTG. It would be a bit of a drive but Hawkeye Audio/Video in Cedar Rapids, IA has both the Sony and the JVC in the same room for comparisons. I'm lucky the shop is about 1.5 miles from my house. At the AVSForum GTG we did a direct comparison between the JVC and the Sony. They had the projectors stacked and shining on the Screen Innovations Pure White screen. The projectors were fed the same 4K signal from an Oppo 203 UHD player using the dual HDMI outputs. We used a cardboard sheet to block the imagine of one projector and let the other projector shine. So comparing and switching was basically instant. Of the guys there at the time, all but one guy preferred the JVC over the Sony. The colors seemed more accurate on the JVC and when we did freeze frame comparisons the JVC actually seemed a bit more sharp. We call concluded the added sharpness on the JVC was not from the actual pixel count since the Sony is native 4K and the JVC is e-shift, but we believe it had to deal with the added contrast and black levels which added depth to the picture. The real kicker was the JVC was about $2000 less than the Sony VW385.

We didn't test input lag on either projector. I know the JVC has always had more input lag than Sony's in the past so that may need to be factored in. Although I do believe JVC came out with a firmware release to help improve input lag with a gaming mode.

If possible, check input lag times and then try to find a shop with both projectors in the same room. It's difficult to find a store with both in the same room, but if you can do it you may find one projector really wins your heart over the other.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
The projectors were fed the same 4K signal from an Oppo 203 UHD player using the dual HDMI outputs. We used a cardboard sheet to block the imagine of one projector and let the other projector shine. So comparing and switching was basically instant. Of the guys there at the time, all but one guy preferred the JVC over the Sony.

Where the source files True 2160P transfers or upscaled from 2K Masters?

A vast majority of UHD movies are not true 2160P masters.

SOWK Home Theater
post #95 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Where the source files True 2160P transfers or upscaled from 2K Masters?

A vast majority of UHD movies are not true 2160P masters.
We "watched" and compared using UHD discs of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (faux 4K), Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (true 4K), Suicide Squad (faux 4K) and Deadpool (real 4K). Guardians of the Galaxy, Billy Lynn's and Suicide Squad really showed the benefits of the added contrast and color of the JVC. Everyone agreed the JVC gave a better picture on those three films. Deadpool is where the majority of the group still preferred the JVC but there was one member who liked the Sony and another who said he would be happy with either.

So while we did watch a variety of true 4K and upscaled, the JVC won the majority of the time. It was enough of a landslide victory for me and my eyes I sold my unopened Sony 285ES on AudioGon (only difference between the 285 and 385 is dynamic iris and motorized lens memory) and I will be buying a JVC once my room is complete. For me the difference was clear. For less money, motorized lens memory and dynamic iris on the JVC, it was a no brainer. But I don't game. So I have no worries about input lag if the JVC suffers more than the Sony.

Old Woods Remodel
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #96 of 2409 Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Nice to see a thread for WI. Always love a visit up there.

What Deewan is reporting mirrors the conclusion in the shootout thread in the $3K + forum. The Sony's seem to suffer more lens variance so that may account for the sharpness that they were seeing at Hawkeye AV. In the instances where the Sony does show more detail vs. e-shift, that advantage seems to diminish once you get to a normal seating difference. When I was looking to update I got to see a previous gen Sony 4K and some of the JVC RSX00s and came away preferring the JVC. Which prompted purchasing an RS520. The gaming mode on the X20 and newer JVC's seems to get the two brands roughly the same lag wise. Some are upset with the banding the Sony introduces at 4K 60 and others aren't bothered by. The JVCs I believe lose some picture quality in the gaming mode as well (some of the enhancements get disabled), but I can't say as I don't game on mine.

I don't have a complete bat cave (flat dark red walls and flat dark blue ceilings), but the picture the RS520 throws is fantastic. The newer 4K end to end discs (BR 2049, Dunkirk, Orient Express) are pretty breathtaking. Although even the masters with 2K interpositives benefit from the added color depth/range.

The Sony's are great projectors, I just find the overall image of the JVC to be better. And Sony really should align the feature and cost to be more competitive. Something with the 285's cost should at least have a dynamic iris.

Oh and beware Deewan. He's an expert at getting people to spend money. So much so that KJLewie was forced to move to TX to escape his influence

Last edited by jeahrens; 03-20-2018 at 09:35 AM.
post #97 of 2409 Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you in the Madison area....

It sounds like I may be up in Madison again next week for work. Besides AMS Electronics and Home Theater and University Audio, are there any good shops for AV equipment? I loved the vintage feel of University Audio but wish they had more selection. AMS had a nice dedicated room and good selection. I try to stop at AMS either on my trip up or on my way back home since I take Hwy 151. The only other place I've found with cool products is the Magnolia Best Buy at West Towne Mall, but that is Best Buy so I try to avoid.

Any other recommendations?

Old Woods Remodel
post #98 of 2409 Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Might be out of the way for sure, but Audio Emporium and Ultra Fidelis are interesting AV Shops in the Milwaukee Area.

SOWK Home Theater
post #99 of 2409 Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thought I would make this offer to anyone local before placing an ad.....

I've replacing my curved 120" wide 2.35:1 SeymourAV screen. I have the XD material with the Premier 3.3" velvet wrapped frame. I got rid of my lens a while ago and finally getting around to swapping the screen. I'm getting the same thing from Seymour in a flat version since I won't be using the lens. If you buy this from Chris it will cost you over $2600. I'll sell it for $1000 firm. It is in perfect shape. PM me if interested. BTW....I'm just north of Milwaukee.

Control: Denon AVR-X3600H, Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593(4), BA VSi 560(4), BA e60(2), Seaton SubM F2+Slave
Display: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
2-CH: Revel Salon2, McIntosh C47, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R (4), Aurender N100H, Kimber 8TC
post #100 of 2409 Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Wow... That is a steal.

Anyone in the building phase might want to consider this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #101 of 2409 Old 03-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
Thought I would make this offer to anyone local before placing an ad.....

I've replacing my curved 120" wide 2.35:1 SeymourAV screen. I have the XD material with the Premier 3.3" velvet wrapped frame. I got rid of my lens a while ago and finally getting around to swapping the screen. I'm getting the same thing from Seymour in a flat version since I won't be using the lens. If you buy this from Chris it will cost you over $2600. I'll sell it for $1000 firm. It is in perfect shape. PM me if interested. BTW....I'm just north of Milwaukee.
OK...the deal has changed. I decided to swap out the top and bottom curved sections for straight ones. So......if someone wanted to, they could buy my curved pieces and get a couple of side Fram members to match from Seymour and still be WAAAYYY ahead in cost. The curved pieces are the costly part. Additionally, if you do get the pieces from Seymour, you could order whatever length you wanted, thereby creating the aspect ratio you desire. The control is that the width has to be 120" viewing size.

I'd sell the top and bottom curved for $500. The difference in price if you order curved versus straight is about $1000!!

Control: Denon AVR-X3600H, Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593(4), BA VSi 560(4), BA e60(2), Seaton SubM F2+Slave
Display: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
2-CH: Revel Salon2, McIntosh C47, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R (4), Aurender N100H, Kimber 8TC

Last edited by jkscherk; 03-28-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #102 of 2409 Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Cheesehead in Chicago

Hi everyone! I'd love to join this marvelous little group!

I grew up in God's Country (outside of Milwaukee) and have been living in Chicago for the past 18 years. Been hobbying my whole life, but my wife and I have just started planning our first dedicated theater build (in a downtown loft -- it's going to be fun!). Since we started thinking about it, I've wasted more and more time reading everything I can on The Forum here and being inspired!

I'm planning on hitting up Axpona to hear some JTRs and Seatons in person for the first time, and maybe check out the rest of the show I'd love to meet up with everyone!

Thanks!

-Tom
post #103 of 2409 Old 03-31-2018, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Lets get a more concrete list of people going to Axpona on Saturday April 14, 2018
@ Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center | Schaumburg, IL

Meet at 11:00 am at JTR room (2-Nirvana C)

SOWK
pennynike1
jkscherk
lbrown105 + 1
Last Mile
trammer
Mark Seaton (Exhibitor)
Jeff Permanian (Exhibitor)

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by Mike Lang; 08-19-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #104 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

I will see some of you guys Saturday!

SOWK Home Theater
post #105 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I will see some of you guys Saturday!
Can't wait! Thanks for organizing!!
post #106 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

I think the more popular ones might be when Jeff starts the GTG's and movie nights at his JTR warehouse.

SOWK Home Theater
post #107 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I head out tomorrow night with my 16' trailer loaded with most of the gear for the show. I hope to be at JTR Speakers by noon on Wednesday. I'm bringing my three 215RT's and taking home mine plus another three 215RT's for a customer.

Chris Seymour (Seymour-Screen Excellence) and Tommy O'Brien (Digital Amp Company) will also be at Nirvana C.

Here is a list of the gear that will be in the room:

Multi-channel
Speakers: 7 Noesis 215RT's
Amplifiers: 2 Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
20 amp circuits: 3
Source: HTPC with UHD Blu-rays using JRiver Media Center
DAC: MOTU 1248
Projector: Sony VPL-VW5000ES
Anamorphic Lens: Panamorph Paladin DCR
Screen: Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo (14+ ft wide?)
Video Processing: Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446 with 18 Gbps inputs/outputs
Two Channel
Source: HTPC using JRiver Media Center
DAC: Digital Amplifier Company DAC DAC
Amplifiers: 2 Digital Amplifier Company MEGAschino MONO Ultra
Speakers: 2 JTR Speakers Noesis 210RT's (I think)
Room sponsors: JTR Speakers, High Impact AV, JRiver Media Center, Seymour-Screen Excellence, Digital Amplifier Company

I am a dealer for all products except MOTU.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #108 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Desertdome. I didn't know you were a dealer as well. That is nice to know. I'm sure some of us will be sending some sales opportunity your way over time.

Do you sell D-Box?

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 04-10-2018 at 04:52 AM.
post #109 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Lets get a more concrete list of people going to Axpona on Saturday April 14, 2018
@ Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center | Schaumburg, IL

Meet at 11:00 am at JTR room (2-Nirvana C)

SOWK
pennynike1
jkscherk
lbrown105
Last Mile
trammer
Mark Seaton (Exhibitor)
Jeff Permanian (Exhibitor)
Maybe.
I am driving to a meeting in Chicago and will try to stop by.
Looking at Schiit gear if I can (http://www.schiit.com/products/ ).

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #110 of 2409 Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

So here is the tentative plan....

JTR at 11
Seaton after the JTR demo
Emotiva after the Seaton demo
Then back to JTR to discuss and mock the loser..... J/King. But we can meet at JTR and discuss the results and share our opinions on each showing.

SOWK Home Theater
post #111 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

OK.... This might change up some plans... Maybe if we get enough interest.

Jeff (JTR) offered up his AXPONA room Saturday for a small GTG after 6pm till about 7:30pm.

Where we could hang out and have demo requests and play at louder than normal volumes!

I'm needing to see who might have interest in that so i can get the info back to Jeff and Desertdome.

SOWK Home Theater
post #112 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

11 AM Meet up will still be as planned.

Confirmed ABLE to make the 6PM GTG

Pennynike1
Trammer

Confirmed
UNABLE
to make the 6PM GTG

lbrown105
MMG!
jkscherk
Mike_WI

MAYBE/UNKNOWN for the 6PM GTG

SOWK

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 04-11-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #113 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Pennynike1

Confirmed
UNABLE
to make the 6PM GTG

lbrown105 + 1
jkscherk

MAYBE/UNKNOWN

SOWK
I am maybe for 11am. Won't stay late though.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #114 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I updated you to the unable to make the 6pm GTG.

SOWK Home Theater
post #115 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Pennynike1
Trammer

Confirmed
UNABLE
to make the 6PM GTG

lbrown105 + 1
jkscherk
Mike_WI

MAYBE/UNKNOWN for the 6PM GTG

SOWK
What is this a wedding? How did I become plus 1?

Make Lbrown105 plus one since I’m driving
post #116 of 2409 Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG! View Post
What is this a wedding? How did I become plus 1?

Make Lbrown105 plus one since I’m driving
So you finally remembered your User ID

Glad my + 1 forced you to login! Haha.

SOWK Home Theater
post #117 of 2409 Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Well the first GTG at Axpona was successful.

It was great to meet everyone that went!

My personal best of show overall was the JTR room.

Seaton put on a very close second.

Emotiva’s was a little underwhelming but the RMC1 sounds like it will be an absolute beast of a processor.

The best sound of Apona for me goes to the Avantgarde Trio XD.... MY GOD THEY SOUNDED AMAZING!

Those who went, feel free to post your thoughts of the rooms you had seen and heard.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 04-14-2018 at 05:06 PM.
post #118 of 2409 Old 04-14-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

SOWK -

Thank you for organizing!

I think idea of a less crowded Sunday trip sounds good.
Great to meet everyone including Jeff and Mark.

Great to see local exhibits from JTR and Seaton as well as a variety of other vendors including Emotiva and Schiit Audio, etc.

Mike

post #119 of 2409 Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Great seeing everyone at Axpona!! I had a blast at the show, and left very happy!

If I were judging the show, here are the awards I would give out:

Best 2 Channel Sound: Avantgarde demo ($150,000 for just the pair of 2 speakers, excluding the subs or equipment) - Mind blowing!!

Best Atmos Presentation: Emotiva 9.1.6 demo room with RMC-1 - my future processor when it releases!!

Best Bass: JTR demo room with 7 215RT's playing the Cannon scene from Hacksaw Ridge - Super WOW!

Best Surround Demo: Seaton Sound playing the Tron Legacy grid cycle scene - Loved it!!

Best Digital Projection display: JTR demo room utilizing The Sony 5000 laser projector, a Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens, and an impressive Seymour 2:35:1 screen - - Excellent visual eye candy!!

For sale: JVC RS1000; Oppo 203 UHD player; 1 Mackie c300z speaker, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #120 of 2409 Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

@desertdome ... Your calibration was top notch with colors that popped right off the screen. Fantastic job with the lens and the Sony 5000ES

SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page