Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 357Likes

post #1831 of 2108 Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Exactly Steve! Haha. Last visit to cedia, I came within a breath of purchasing a Datasat and Alcons, which both would have been costly mistakes. I then bought the epson laser 10500 that I saw at the show, while being ultra impressed with the jvc 4500 laser and The Trinnov Altitude processor.

I recently scored the Trinnov, and very nearly picked up a used JVC 4500 laser projector as well, before coming to my senses and sticking with the benq...at least for now

I look forward to hearing your trinnov all set up down the road. I think the 970 will be a good stop gap for both of us for now. It works well in my system, it has its limitations, but I love the brightness and newer movies look awesome. Maybe they will finally replace the 5000ES and RS4500 with a new model and then the old model prices will come down enough to snag one

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2108 Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 26
@SteveFred , I likely would have snagged the used jvc 4500 had I had a bit more time. The offered price was good to me, but I had just spent a lot of $ on audio, and home audio spending has placed me in a financial pinch for the time being. I had to decide on whether to sell assets for a loss to get the jvc, or let the jvc go. I choose to let it go after some nudging from the fiance and friendly advice from @SOWK .

I anticipate that more 4500's will surface in the future, and hopefully, something better comes along in the meantime.

For sale: 2 Mackie c300z speakers, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #1833 of 2108 Old 07-10-2019, 02:23 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
SirMaster may be joining us at CEDIA 2019!

Any others want to join?

So far:

SteveFred
SirMaster
SOWK

Why is it all the users with user names that start with S?

Depending on how many you get, you should make t-shirts for the crew; some options, dependent upon the numbers:

Inglourious Basterds
The Magnificent 7
The Hateful Eight

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2108 Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
SirMaster may be joining us at CEDIA 2019!

Any others want to join?

So far:

SteveFred
SirMaster
SOWK

Why is it all the users with user names that start with S?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
What you are saying is, Scott is next? lol
Man, I wish I could be that fourth S! But I just can't swing it this year.

With three of you going, we expect some pretty good note-taking, supplemented with pictures. You should be able to meet up with some of the other AVS folks, too. They usually do a GTG one of the nights of the show.

Scott

post #1835 of 2108 Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 401
OK, so everyone who is coming to my GTG:

Sounds like the main HT GTG stuff will start at 1pm, and we will try to start the movie around 4:30pm.

I think a few people might come earlier than that, and I could hook up my HTC Vive for some VR before 1pm. So if you want to play with that at all you could come around noon for that.

I plan on providing a subway party sub split into a few different types of sandwiches, some fresh fruit, a cookie tray that I think comes with the sub, and a couple bags of chips. I will also have some soda, but probably not a large selection.

You do not need to bring anything, but if you want to bring something that's fine.

I'll send out PMs with my address for those that need it.
post #1836 of 2108 Old 07-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
OK, so everyone who is coming to my GTG:

Sounds like the main HT GTG stuff will start at 1pm, and we will try to start the movie around 4:30pm.

I think a few people might come earlier than that, and I could hook up my HTC Vive for some VR before 1pm. So if you want to play with that at all you could come around noon for that.

I plan on providing a subway party sub split into a few different types of sandwiches, some fresh fruit, a cookie tray that I think comes with the sub, and a couple bags of chips. I will also have some soda, but probably not a large selection.

You do not need to bring anything, but if you want to bring something that's fine.

I'll send out PMs with my address for those that need it.
Looking forward to seeing your theater SirMaster! The SO and myself are hoping to arrive around 1pm although won't be able to stay for the movie. Need to take full advantage of the weekends for the tackling the never ending projects on the new house.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC
post #1837 of 2108 Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Next GTG is at @swargolet 's?

We will help him get all his house projects done so he can start on his new HT...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #1838 of 2108 Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Next GTG is at @swargolet 's?

We will help him get all his house projects done so he can start on his new HT...

haha! We'd need a crew of 100 to finish it all. Maybe at some point soon I could mock up what my basement is like and you guys can suggest something simple to at least get things setup down there.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC
post #1839 of 2108 Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
haha! We'd need a crew of 100 to finish it all. Maybe at some point soon I could mock up what my basement is like and you guys can suggest something simple to at least get things setup down there.

SteveFred is like 95 people all by himself... Not joking. He is BEAST MODE! for projects.

SOWK Home Theater
post #1840 of 2108 Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

So... Too everyone that I showed the system too over the last month...

I didn't even have room correction on. I must have turned Audyssey off to do some comparison testing on vs off, and must have forgot to turn it back on...

DOH!!!!

Guess you will all have to stop by again...

I hear tomorrow at 1:00 is a good time?

JOKING!!!! (About the tomorrow part) We are going to Nick's GTG!

SOWK Home Theater
post #1841 of 2108 Old 07-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Thanks everyone for attending my GTG today.

I hope everyone enjoyed my place and all the conversation!

Everything worked out pretty great which is always nice when things go right.

Apparently Jimmy Johns gave me double my order which is why there were SO many subs! But they only charged me once

Maybe next time I should allocate more time for VR as that seemed to be a big hit haha. But yeah, we got a good 2+ hours of demo scenes which was great and a lot of social time which is even better!

post #1842 of 2108 Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:

Apparently Jimmy Johns gave me double my order which is why there were SO many subs! But they only charged me once

Maybe next time I should allocate more time for VR as that seemed to be a big hit haha. But yeah, we got a good 2+ hours of demo scenes which was great and a lot of social time which is even better!

Thank you for hosting and providing lunch!!!

You have an absolutely stellar system and I know everyone had a fantastic time.

Stellar image, fantastic sound, great massage chairs... aka bass shakers...

And yes the VR was a big hit!

SOWK Home Theater
post #1843 of 2108 Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for hosting, Nick. Nicki and I had a wonderful time.

You've put together a system that works amazingly well while living within the necessary confines of an apartment. The shakers do a fine job of transmitting the bass without raising the ire of you neighbors, the surround and Atmos speakers do a solid job of adding spaciousness to the sound field, and there's no compromise at all in the visual portion of the equation, especially with the enhanced effect of the black sections that surround the screen; they really work well to pull the viewer into the picture. It was a really good blueprint of how a home theater experience is definitely doable for apartment dwellers.

I was totally unprepared for the VR demo. The tracking was spot-on, and it felt so slick and convincing I could easily image spending a ridiculous amount of time exploring the world, the whole experience seemed incredibly real and reactive, completely transformative and natural. I think I want one.

The mark of any good GTG is just how fast the time goes, and yours was no exception. It felt like we had only been there a couple of hours, and it was suddenly time to go; we were disappointed that we had to leave so soon. It would have been fun to stay for the film with the rest of the group, even if we had already seen it. It's always a treat to spend some time with a bunch of folks all sharing the same interest, and it's icing on the cake when our significant others can join in the fun. Even if they don't care much for the technical part of the hobby, it's great that they can enjoy the resulting experiences, and they always add something extra to the social aspect of the GTGs. And the bonus is that it can make the subsequent budget discussions go a little bit easier once they've experienced something new for themselves.

Thanks again for a very fun afternoon,

Scott

post #1844 of 2108 Old 07-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Thanks for hosting Nick. I had a great time. Just like Scott said, the time went by crazy fast! It was nice talking to everyone again and meeting a few new people I had not met yet.

You have an amazing set up and anyone in an apartment looking for a true movie theater feel should check out your system. You can tell how much thought and work was put into it. The bass shakers were spot on and of course that NX5 looked wonderful. I also really liked the VR system, it was a lot more fun than I was expecting

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Steve

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #1845 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 399
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx-...?skuId=6283643 They are back! Who is doing the BOSS platform?

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | The Devastator Index
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #1846 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The simplicity of the Devastator is hard to get away from, so I have landed on this design. The 8th order serial bandpass is experimental and one oops can throw it off, that if some other variables out of my control do not throw it off. EDIT: online voltage calculator did me wrong, it is 1625 watts roughly. Power handling is also improved to 1900watts vs 1500watts before excursion budget and port velocity are spent.

This goes into the room less than the last design and that is big for WAF. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...evastator.html

Current box vs BMD 1w1m

You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen

Last edited by Red Five; 07-15-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #1847 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Looks fantastic. That is an enormous enclosure! The 28" depth will make it easier to integrate into the room like you said.

SOWK Home Theater
post #1848 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 862
MagnumMafia05- I knew there was 'Squatch up in those northern Wisconsin woods, but didn't think there were footies big enough to fit
post #1849 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks fantastic. That is an enormous enclosure! The 28" depth will make it easier to integrate into the room like you said.

Two of the current boxes come in at 33.34 cuft, then I have to buy a second sub and amp, which is pretty pricey. This one comes in at 29.4 cuft, so a little smaller and a whole lot cheaper for getting an additional 5db of output.

I will have to see how the Vortex speaker series from DIYSG turn out. I could probably fit two subs if I ditch my towers and the Vortex can be fitted behind the HT screen, since there is space for 121 inches of sub without towers

post #1850 of 2108 Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two things that may be worth noting for the group.

1. After a bit of a hiatus, the Home Theater of the Month is coming back. It won't be picked by Scott (he seem to have moved on to another website), but now Mark will be picking the winner. Here's the announcement post. Submissions are open. Tony's already won years ago, so let's see if we can get some more Wisconsin members to join him!

2. In that same thread, AVS member SteveCallas posted some pictures of his theater. He has some black wall panels that he's using as diffusors. Now, they aren't actual acoustic diffusors, but they are angled and I'm thinking they should work. The interesting part is that they are currently part of the Amazon Prime sale. Normally these are around $95 for a twelve pack, but right now they're down to just $76 I bought three packages, which will give me 36 19" x 19" panels to spread throughout the room. If you've priced normal acoustic panels, you'll see that they're about $76 a piece, so this is potentially a huge bargain. Granted, they're only about an inch deep, so it's unknown how effective they'll be. The OP didn't do any objective testing with them, but subjectively, he said they worked quite well.

I'll post before and after graphs once they're put up (no timetable for this, though), and figured I'd post this for anyone else that might feel like experimenting with them.

Scott

post #1851 of 2108 Old 07-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unrelated to home theater, but I'm going to a Rock 'n Roll show in Sturtevant Sunday evening at Route 20 (14001 Washington Ave). My friends The Black Moods (www.theblackmoods.com) are playing.

I know that's not for from some of y'all, so if anyone wants to toss back a beverage and/or see the rock show, I'm planning to be there in the late afternoon.
post #1852 of 2108 Old 07-21-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

For the outdoor movie night and cookout GTG?

https://www.facebook.com/events/477555196337049/

Jeff sent me this.

We can bring the whole family to this one.

Let me know if you think this would be doable.

I think if we can get at least 6 Wisconsin area members to join it would be worth it.

My family and I can make it
Jeff and his family can make it

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by Mike Lang; 08-19-2019 at 10:01 AM.
post #1853 of 2108 Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Jeff sent me this.

I think if we can get at least 6 Wisconsin area members to join it would be worth it.

I could make it
I assume Jeff can make it sense he sent it to me... LOL
Nicki and I would be interested, but as maybes. She's scheduled for surgery earlier that week, and may or may not be up to the trip.

Scott

post #1854 of 2108 Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Jeff sent me this.

My family and I can make it
Jeff and his family can make it
It would be fun to bring the whole family and that sounds like a blast! With that said, I think a Friday would be too hard for us to make. We would have about 4 hours of driving to and from after working all day.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #1855 of 2108 Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

OK. So I've decided I wont be going to the End Game Event, but obviously it is free to anyone that wants to go.

Plus I think that is the Movie SteveFred wants to show at his GTG later that month.

But Colleen and I will be going to Road America this weekend to have a good time with Rad and his family and support Jeff and his other passion! Motorcycle racing!

SOWK Home Theater
post #1856 of 2108 Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
OK. So I've decided I wont be going to the End Game Event, but obviously it is free to anyone that wants to go.

Plus I think that is the Movie SteveFred wants to show at his GTG later that month.

But Colleen and I will be going to Road America this weekend to have a good time with Rad and his family and support Jeff and his other passion! Motorcycle racing!
As much as I love music/theater stuff, I love racing and cars. I really can't wait to get to Road America to watch Jeff race! For those who haven't been, Road America is one the best racetracks worldwide. Many top level drivers call it their favorite track. Seriously one of my favorite places on earth. You're in for a treat Tony!

post #1857 of 2108 Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
It would be fun to bring the whole family and that sounds like a blast! With that said, I think a Friday would be too hard for us to make. We would have about 4 hours of driving to and from after working all day.
Aww, nuts. I didn't even realize it was on a Friday. As late as I've been working, I don't think we'd be able to make it down to Kenosha by 7:00, so we're out.

post #1858 of 2108 Old 07-23-2019, 08:13 AM

I do really like the idea of an outdoor movie night / GTG. I put approximately 2 seconds of thought into this, but I just checked the state park locator and found: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/lapham/

I'm sure there are many other options out there. Some state parks have stages that we could use to setup the screen and equipment. Also, because it's a big state park and not near homes, we wouldn't have neighbor complaints if we get enthusiastic with the volumes.

But... because state parks are away from homes, we wouldn't be able to easily introduce people to the hobby or to just casually watch the movie....

post #1859 of 2108 Old 07-23-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Sweet...Rad is in charge of the outdoor GTG...

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 07-23-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #1860 of 2108 Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Sweet...Raf is in charge of the outdoor GTG...
I agree! Let's put that Raf guy in charge!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page