Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1054Likes

post #2311 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't think I'll be able to make the Jan 18th GTG as myself and Natalie have been in wedding planning mode the past couple weekends and many weekends ahead as well.

I'm VERY interested to hear people's thoughts on the BOSS platform though as that is something I may end up doing in my future theater.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Well congratulations on the planned wedding!
swargolet likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #2313 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
I don't think I'll be able to make the Jan 18th GTG as myself and Natalie have been in wedding planning mode the past couple weekends and many weekends ahead as well.

I'm VERY interested to hear people's thoughts on the BOSS platform though as that is something I may end up doing in my future theater.

I am sure that Tony will provide a thorough BOSS review post GTG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike_WI likes this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I am sure that Tony will provide a thorough BOSS review post GTG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not sure about that.... I want to be biased against it! I dont want to have to try to work in yet another Tactile Response Device into my system.... LOL

Im already 4 layers deep.

Quad JTR Subwoofers
Crowson Transducers
D-Box Vibration
D-Box Motion

As I am sure "BOSS" will be hated among Sub manufacturers and Transducer manufactures alike! HAHA.
giomania and Mike_WI like this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-10-2020 at 10:40 AM.
post #2315 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
That is extremely exciting new Alex. You will most definitely be one of the first people to have it in our group if not the first.

At the rate Emotiva does things I'll have it in 2031... LOL
In the group, or the country?

For sale: JVC RS1000; Oppo 203 UHD player; 1 Mackie c300z speaker, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #2316 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
In the group, or the country?
We have another member in our group with a Trinnov as well and we already know a few wealthy individuals in the 20K thread with Trinnov‘s too. But... You might be the first to try it with so many speakers and possibly floor speakers though!
pennynike1 likes this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #2317 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
We have another member in our group with a Trinnov as well and we already know a few wealthy individuals in the 20K thread with Trinnov‘s too. But... You might be the first to try it with so many speakers and possibly floor speakers though!
Trinnov here with a 13.2.6 setup. Will look forward to this!
pennynike1 likes this.
post #2318 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm going to try and make the GTG on the 18th but I don't know if it's going to work out. I have contractors coming to the house for the next month to do some major renovations and I'm nowhere near ready. It's going to be a whirlwind couple of weekends to prepare before they show up. Unfortunately nothing fun, they are cutting out a hottub that the previous owners installed in the living room right off of the kitchen (I can provide photos if you are curious.) We were excited about it in theory but it leaked from a different place every time we filled it.

If I don't make it, I'm excited to read reports from the GTG. It sounds like you guys (and gals) are in for a treat! The theater looks like a heck of a space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Velvet will do noticeably better than even the blackest paint.

As for where to get cheap black velvet, this is the popular place for cheap velvet: https://syfabrics.com/products/plush-triple-velvet1.
Thanks for the feedback! Velveting sounds like the easier, reversible option for the floor, walls, and potentially part of the ceiling. I will give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
I didn't see your posts until today, but I am using Joann speaker cloth for a ceiling panel and it works really well. My panel is 24" wide and I added some inner support so the Safe N' Sound doesn't sag and put pressure on the speaker cloth. I haven't noticed any insulation dust, so I bet you'll be good too.
That's perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for, someone who had done the same thing. That's a great idea to put a brace, I will plan on doing that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Also if you are looking for a rug, this stuff is really cheap and super matte black that you can just lay over your existing carpet.

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...imaryMeas=72.0
Thanks, that looks like it would work great for a stage area. I think I'm going to start with some velvet as a reversible option. I was thinking of getting a custom stage-shaped rug bound by the local carpet place, but I'm afraid the speakers will sit on it wonkey. A rug on top of a carpet with a speaker floating on top of that just seems like a bad idea. I feel that the carpet spikes will pierce through the velvet no problem, and it doesn't add much structure for the speaker to ride on/tip off.

I'm feeling with the weather this weekend, a lot of us will be hunkered in our theaters. I'll be in mine for every break I take from prepping for the contractors! Hope you guys stay warm and safe out there!
SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
post #2319 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

I believe there is currently 10 layers of Home Theater approved tactile response methods available...

1. Subwoofers (Far field)
2. Subwoofers (Near field)
3. Subwoofers (Suspended Wooden Floors)
4. Subwoofers (BEQ Movie Filters)
5. Transducers in chair (Example: Butt Kickers)
6. Transducers under chair (Example: Crowsons)
7. "BOSS" Platform
8. D-Box Vibration
9. D-Box Motion
10. Infinite baffle mounted in floor (Thanks desertdome!)

If I am missing any please let me know.

Its hard to keep track.

Then there is VR Wearables with tactile Feedback and Headsets with Transducers inside now as well, but I'll leave that out of the Home Theater appropriate section.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-14-2020 at 05:39 AM.
post #2320 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
I believe there is currently 9 layers of tactile response available

5. Bass Shakers (Example: Butt Kickers)
6. Transducers (Example: Crowsons)
7. "BOSS" Platform
8. D-Box Vibration
9. D-Box Motion

Its hard to keep track.

I have not dug into the thread yet, but what about fans? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...iscussion.html
giomania likes this.

Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Mini Devastator Build
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #2321 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
I have not dug into the thread yet, but what about fans?
It might be possible. Archaea and I have been discussing it.

I likely can get with SirMaster and have something programmed for it if it gains traction.

Technically he is taking my retirement get rich idea that I was talking to him about at the Star Wars GTG last year and trying to make it cheap and easy for the average user... That bastard!!!! LOL

Let me experience BOSS first. Then I will decide if I want to attempt to do the 4D theater wind setup.

I already know of a decent way to make it work on the software side.

But I would need to find hardware that will change the fan speed depending on the Audio frequency input.

I would have to program a special audio track that will be 3 or 4 audio frequency’s and matches the length of the move’s audio track.

Basically if the audio input is null the fan should spin at the lowest setting, I could then program 2-3 fan speed settings to replicate action on screen...

1. If a light breeze type effect is needed, I could send a 100hz signal to the fan controller during that scene and it would put the fans on a mode that is just felt at the seating.
2. I could send a 500hz tone for motorcycle and horse race type scene's at a medium fan speed
3. Finally do a 1000hz tone for a full blast of wind like flying on a dragon's back at full speed or an explosion...

So yeah I have some Ideas...

Update! Nick already improved the idea... We will just send a single frequency and adjust the gain (volume) and then we can have an infinite variable speed fan if we can find a fan that will respond to different levels of voltage like that and maybe use a ras pi as the controller. It's nice having the brain power of many working on a project.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-10-2020 at 01:03 PM.
post #2322 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If any other programming is needed, I can assist. I'm a full stack Software Engineer and also do infrastructure work. (joys of a small company is I get to do everything...) I specialize in Java, but I believe SirMaster is .NET?
I've worked with Arduinos as well, which may be something good for this during the prototyping phase or for coming up with a DIY solution for other members. I think the hardest issue would be finding a way to get the audio track you want already decoded out. I can't imagine it is straight forward to take an HDMI input and decode an audio track, you'd probably need some other device to do that.

EDIT: Looked into it a little bit and it seems like the ridiculous bandwidth of HDMI makes it basically impossible to do any sort of HDMI decoding on a rasPi or Arduino :/
Archaea, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Sony VPL-HW40es | 110" Seymour Ambient Visionnaire 1.3 | Intel NUC i5 HTPC

Last edited by swargolet; 01-10-2020 at 01:47 PM.
post #2323 of 2403 Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 602
I don't really do much DIY programming but yeah it's my full time job.

My first thought would just be to use an Arduino and hook up an analog to digital converter to read the voltage of an analog audio signal. I think you should be able to create an audio track by varying the volume of a tone or white noise maybe? So then you just read the voltage from the analog input and then control some sort of fan controller.

That way a user need only play a matching stereo (mono really) audio track from something like an mp3 player and just start it when the movie starts. Not sure if there is an even better way to sync them.

But if the syncing is manual anyways, then why even use audio? Maybe it would be easier to use like a Pi Zero and have that be hosting a web gui that you can open on your phone that lets you select the movie you are playing and set the time sync by matching the time stamp to your media player. The Pi could just access some online database of fan speed vs timestamp files that anyone could make and contribute to. You would be able to pick your favorite author if multiple people decide to make a track for the same movie.

Disc formats always have the same time stamps, but streaming services might do weird things to the time codes of the movie that results in a few seconds of mismatch.

If using a Pi to do the control it would even be possible for it to access the playback time stamp from a media player like on an HTPC and sync itself, but I doubt that's possible to access from a disc player and impossible probably to access from a streaming box.
Archaea, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 01-10-2020 at 02:05 PM.
post #2324 of 2403 Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Just a thought, and I know you guys arent to this point yet, but when you start looking at fans, consider a DC fan. they can change speeds more quickly, they are quieter, they use less energy, and speed control is (somewhat) easier (just lower/raise the voltage) and beefy ones will likely be cheaper and work better than an AC model. Downside is it requires a transformer, or something to turn your wall voltage into the proper DC voltage.
Archaea likes this.
post #2325 of 2403 Old 01-12-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
Congratulations! That makes at least two forum members making wedding plans right now.

And some people think home theaters aren't chick magnets.

Scott
SteveFred, SOWK, swargolet and 1 others like this.

post #2326 of 2403 Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Jeff getting some good press is nice to see!

Congratulations @Jeff Permanian !!!!

SOWK Home Theater
post #2327 of 2403 Old 01-12-2020, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Gauging availability for a possible GTG at my house in Racine in either March or April of this year. I am looking to do an all day event from 8 am to as late as 12:00 am, showing several movies that take full advantage of Dolby Atmos. I would also demo multiple never before seen clips by the group that I have identified over months of testing and listening to films.

If interested in attending, please message me on which dates and times work for you.
I'm interested. Saturdays are probably a given, and I wouldn't yet rule out any date aside from Axpona weekend. However, I do find myself traveling for work on short notice, often at the most inconvenient times unfortunately. As for time of day, usually in the ballpark of noon to 1:30 works for me as a start time, and I'm up for a midnight special.
pennynike1 and feistyacorn like this.
post #2328 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 1545 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
I believe there is currently 9 layers of Home Theater approved tactile response methods available...

5. Bass Shakers (Example: Butt Kickers)
6. Transducers (Example: Crowsons)
7. "BOSS" Platform
8. D-Box Vibration
9. D-Box Motion

Its hard to keep track.

Then there is VR Wearables with tactile Feedback and Headsets with Transducers inside now as well, but I'll leave that out of the Home Theater appropriate section.
I've experienced all but 8 & 9. In combination with #1 , I liked "10. Infinite baffle mounted in floor" the best.

I'm not sure what distinction you are making with #5 & #6 . Butt Kickers are transducers. I've found the mounting makes a big difference. For example, I prefer Butt Kickers mounted to floor joists vs Crowsons mounted under seats.
giomania and Mike_WI like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #2329 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am making it official for my GTG for March 21. If you haven't already done so, please contact me to RSVP. It should be an exciting event, especially since I have put the process in motion to get my processor updated with DTS-X pro.
giomania, srw1000, SOWK and 2 others like this.

For sale: JVC RS1000; Oppo 203 UHD player; 1 Mackie c300z speaker, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #2330 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
I am making it official for my GTG for March 21. If you haven't already done so, please contact me to RSVP. It should be an exciting event, especially since I have put the process in motion to get my processor updated with DTS-X pro.
Cool. Bummer, that is kids spring break

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #2331 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Sorry if this has already been posted, but thinking about AXPONA 2020

https://www.axpona.com/exhibitors.asp

JTR
https://www.axpona.com/exhibitor/com...l.asp?ID=25500
2 - Nirvana - C
feistyacorn likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #2332 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Harman Luxury Audio and Emotiva will also be at Axpona this year. It will be fun to talk to Emotiva, and to pay a visit to my speaker/processor brand of choice.
Mike_WI and feistyacorn like this.

post #2333 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Harman Luxury Audio and Emotiva will also be at Axpona this year. It will be fun to talk to Emotiva, and to pay a visit to my speaker/processor brand of choice.
Emotiva's rooms are hard to miss.
https://www.axpona.com/exhibitor/com...l.asp?ID=25462

I suspect they will get many engaged customers asking them questions.
giomania likes this.

post #2334 of 2403 Old 01-13-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I remember seeing Emotiva at axpona a few years ago, which generated all kinds of excitement for 9.1.6. I am most interested in seeing what harman brings to the table this year. Hoping they bring JBL SCL-5's with, since these are a potential option for ground level dts-x pro speakers down the road

Last edited by pennynike1; 01-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
post #2335 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Emotiva's rooms are hard to miss.
https://www.axpona.com/exhibitor/com...l.asp?ID=25462

I suspect they will get many engaged customers asking them questions.

"I suspect they will get many enraged customers asking them questions."

FTFY...

SOWK Home Theater
post #2336 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I've experienced all but 8 & 9. In combination with #1 , I liked "10. Infinite baffle mounted in floor" the best.

I'm not sure what distinction you are making with #5 & #6 . Butt Kickers are transducers. I've found the mounting makes a big difference. For example, I prefer Butt Kickers mounted to floor joists vs Crowsons mounted under seats.
Correct on Butt Kickers being transducers. The only difference was meant to basically mean mounting. One that attaches to the seat directly and the second is one that is attached to the bottom of the chair. (updated the list to make that more clear)

The best implementation of the Butt Kickers I have felt so far were on a wooden platform that the chairs are then placed on top of. Works fantastic. (Thanks to Scott Newby's GTG)

(I have not experienced them connected to the floor joists directly though)
SteveFred, Mike_WI and feistyacorn like this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 01-14-2020 at 05:38 AM.
post #2337 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

GTG on 3/21 will begin at 12:00 pm, and will go to midnight, if there is interest in doing a late night showing at 10:00 pm. To all those who are planning to attend, please confirm expected arrival/departure time. Thanks!
srw1000, SOWK, feistyacorn and 2 others like this.

post #2338 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Jeff getting some good press is nice to see!

Congratulations @Jeff Permanian !!!!

I just saw this pop up on my youtube feed. Looking forward to checking it out! Congrats!
SteveFred and SOWK like this.
post #2339 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 51
BOSS platform tuned! My impressions are generally good. Perhaps my couch is too heavy or flimsy, but sub 15hz is noticable but lackluster. Where the BOSS shines is 15-35hz (low passed at 35hz FYI), especially at a lower volume. It's nice to have the tactile feedback when watching at a reasonable volume. I would have liked more sub 15hz tactile feedback, but perhaps four 12" subs aren't enough for me or my setup. The inuke limiter is set so that the output is maxed starting at -18db and higher.

Would I do it again? Most definitely. I rarely listen louder than -18db, so having the augmentation is very nice.
srw1000, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.

Last edited by lmidgitd; 01-14-2020 at 03:57 PM.
post #2340 of 2403 Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I would be interested. I would probably be able to stop by from 3 to 6 give or take. Very excited to hear the update!
pennynike1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page