Wisconsin Area Home Theater Meet Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1622Likes

post #2671 of 2689 Old 05-11-2020, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Here you guys go... sneak peak!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2689 Old 05-14-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
00:01:09,HIGH
00:01:26,OFF
00:02:11,LOW
00:02:14,MED
00:02:17,HIGH
00:02:48,OFF
00:04:02,LOW
00:04:05,MED
00:04:12,HIGH
00:04:42,OFF
Great job!
Where is the code for temperature changes?

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #2673 of 2689 Old 05-14-2020, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Great job!
Where is the code for temperature changes?
100% possible if you can find a good IR fan that can also produce heat semi instantaneously. But the heat would have to be pretty quick for it to seem like it works well in practice.

You could also design a "heat box" that opens and closes quickly in front or behind the fans but, then you are starting to get into dangerous territory unfortunately and I don't plan on going there if it is not 100% safe.

SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2689 Old 05-14-2020, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 1913
Quote:
100% possible if you can find a good IR fan that can also produce heat semi instantaneously. But the heat would have to be pretty quick for it to seem like it works well in practice.

You could also design a "heat box" that opens and closes quickly in front or behind the fans but, then you are starting to get into dangerous territory unfortunately and I don't plan on going there if it is not 100% safe.
Maybe it would be better for the temperature control to be in the seats.

Mike_WI likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #2675 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

OK, I'm wanting feed back on possibly opening us back up to the home theater GTG's.

Would people be OK if we started back up in June?

The more feed back the better.

Thank you in advance.
feistyacorn likes this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #2676 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
OK, I'm wanting feed back on possibly opening us back up to the home theater GTG's.

Thank you in advance.
No.
Everyone should still be social distancing.
The percentage of population with (presumptive, not clinically validated) immunity is still very low.
We would all love to get more social, but we face the possibility of a larger second peak.

Remember:

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate"
- Michael Leavitt 2007 [when he was Secretary of Health & Human Services (USA)] RE: Avian Flu, but relevant in general.
HT (at) GWHalleyPhD
https://twitter.com/GWhalleyPhD/stat...182297088?s=20

So, in WI our measures have worked, but it isn't from overreaction, it is from an expectation.
Other countries that have re-opened two quickly saw spikes.

EDIT:
There is/are reasons why AXPONA, and many other meetings were cancelled even this summer and farther out.
Remember, it isn't for your own benefit, it is to help others that have impaired immune systems -- eg congenital, cancer, chemotherapy (for cancer or rheumatologic conditions), and elderly.

EDIT2:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1235_article

Abstract
During a meeting in Munich, Germany, a presymptomatic attendee with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infected at least 11 of 13 other participants. Although 5 participants had no or mild symptoms, 6 had typical coronavirus disease, without dyspnea.
Our findings suggest hand shaking and face-to-face contact as possible modes of transmission.
SOWK, deewan, feistyacorn and 1 others like this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link

Last edited by Mike_WI; 05-17-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: @
post #2677 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
I would think it would be OK to start things back up again next month. By the middle of June, we should have an idea of what effect easing of restrictions has had.

Maybe with a limit on the number of attendees or have the day broken into distinct groups, and with the caveat of having to cancel should the Coronavirus cases start to shoot up again. Social distancing would be pretty hard to do, except for the largest of theaters, so masks might have to be mandatory?

As an safer option, could this be an opportunity for that outdoor event that was mentioned as a possibility last year? Although it would be kind of cold at night by the time it would be dark enough for a movie. It sure would be nice to get together with everyone in person again, even if it would be an audio-only event. It would also give things a bit of time to settle down before any other scheduled events.

Scott
feistyacorn and crx90drvr like this.

post #2678 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I agree with Scott. See what the next few weeks bring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
srw1000 and SOWK like this.
post #2679 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Welcome to the group crx90drvr!

SOWK Home Theater
post #2680 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thank you SOWK. Appreciate it. Hopefully hanging tv back on tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
srw1000, SOWK and feistyacorn like this.
post #2681 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Looks like a really nice blank slate for whatever you desire. Keep us updated with the progress!

SOWK Home Theater
post #2682 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't mean any disrespect, nor would I want to minimize anyone's concern about the pandemic that we're all living through. And certainly anyone that has any compromising conditions or has contact with anyone that has compromising conditions needs to be extra aware, concerned, and cautious. Anyone that doesn't feel safe should be encouraged to remain sheltered in place and minimize social contact.

With that said, I just wanted to add a few comments to the points above, which are no doubt posted out of legitimate and valid concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
No.
Everyone should still be social distancing.
The percentage of population with (presumptive, not clinically validated) immunity is still very low.
We would all love to get more social, but we face the possibility of a larger second peak.

Remember:

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after will seem inadequate"
- Michael Leavitt 2007 [when he was Secretary of Health & Human Services (USA)] RE: Avian Flu, but relevant in general.
HT (at) GWHalleyPhD
https://twitter.com/GWhalleyPhD/stat...182297088?s=20

So, in WI our measures have worked, but it isn't from overreaction, it is from an expectation.
Other countries that have re-opened two quickly saw spikes.
These are all good points, and need to be taken with serious consideration. There's no telling when, or even if, we will ever reach herd immunity, since the data is all so young. It's unlikely that a vaccine will be ready this year.

The state has started to reopen, and it's hard to tell what the exact result will be of that action. Milwaukee continues to be a hot-spot, so anyone living inside of that area needs to be extra cautious. On the other hand, there are other areas that have been touched much less by the virus. Not that the people living there are special, but the population density is much less, and the stay-at-home order has done a good job in minimizing the transmission rate.

Quote:
EDIT:
There is/are reasons why AXPONA, and many other meetings were cancelled even this summer and farther out.
Remember, it isn't for your own benefit, it is to help others that have impaired immune systems -- eg congenital, cancer, chemotherapy (for cancer or rheumatologic conditions), and elderly.
GTGs are a little different than AXPONA and the other future events that have been canceled. Those events pull in hundreds and thousands of people from across the country, all mingling very closely in tightly confined spaces. Add to that the risks of travel associated with mass transportation and the many points of human interaction leading up to, during, and after the events, the risk becomes even greater.

The other component is for the financial impact on the organizers and all of the ancillary services necessary to support those large-scale events. Will there be enough attendees to support the staff and facilities? Will hotels be operating at enough capacity to house the people that do want to attend? Will vendors show up?

Those things would all need to be known now, or at least have a good indication of what they're going to be like, in order to plan for that kind of event. GTGs do require planning, but not on that scale. So, there is the risk of it being canceled at the last minute, as happened to Alex for the last scheduled GTG. That would be an unfortunate possibility for any GTG scheduled for the rest of this year, and maybe beyond.

Quote:
EDIT2:
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1235_article

Abstract
During a meeting in Munich, Germany, a presymptomatic attendee with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infected at least 11 of 13 other participants. Although 5 participants had no or mild symptoms, 6 had typical coronavirus disease, without dyspnea.
Our findings suggest hand shaking and face-to-face contact as possible modes of transmission.
Thanks for posting that research letter. It was an interesting read, and shows how even the medical community was not prepared for how easily spread the virus was back in February.

Some of the conditions would compare to a GTG, the meeting space was a bit larger than any of our theaters (about 750 square feet), and there were 14 attendees. Refreshments were served buffet style.

What didn't compare is that the event was held in a hotel meeting room over two days, with 9.5 hours of discussion. Attendees were from seven different countries, and while they weren't all listed, it's reasonable to assume that some form of mass transportation was used by some, if not most of them. The article does mention a taxi ride that was shared between some of them. One of them was from New York, and the event was in Germany, so air travel was certainly involved in some extent. It is speculated in the article that the original carrier was unknowingly infected by an asymptomatic patient at his clinic in Milan, Italy. While the research letter does state that none of the hotel's staff tested positive for the virus and none reported any symptoms, it doesn't mention testing results for any of the other points of contact the attendees would have shared, such as the serving staff at the restaurant that they all went to the first night of the meeting. Nor does it allow for infection from other sources. With the potentially long incubation period of the virus, those infected could have gotten it from any number of people before, during, or after the conference.

Not that I would dispute that it's likely that they contracted it there. After all, they didn't practice any kinds of social distancing during the meeting - face masks weren't worn, they exchanged handshakes numerous times, and even hugged each other. (No kissing, though.) The event was held in Munich, which also happened to be the first reported case of COVID-19 in Germany, just three weeks earlier. Milan was the first reported case of the Coronavirus in Italy, so a lot of it ties together.

I'm not a doctor, and certainly not an immunologist; just an average guy who's been following the story, while staying at home as much as possible, and working from home four out of five days a week. The number of positive cases in the state continues to grow, as does the number of tests being administered. The rate of positive tests remains at about 6%. The number of patients requiring hospitalization in SE Wisconsin has increased over the past 10 days, but is still about 25% below the peak numbers in April. Over half of the patients with confirmed cases have recovered.

Where does this leave us a month from now? It's a decision each of us will have to weigh carefully. After almost two months of social distancing, and getting a greater understanding of just who is at risk, and how to mitigate the risk, it seems like an appropriate time to talk about starting GTGs back up. Again, this is not to dismiss anyone's concern, since there is risk involved and the virus can be very dangerous for some people. Anyone that doesn't feel comfortable participating should be encouraged to sit out until such time that they do. And everyone should take stock of those around them and pay special attention to anyone they interact with that is more susceptible to the virus and it's consequences. In addition, anyone that lives or works in a higher-risk area should also take that into account. So, if you use mass transportation or work in business where close contact with others can't be avoided, or live in a densely-populated housing unit or community, it would probably would be a good idea to sit out for a bit.

For anyone else, I think a smaller GTG with limited exposure, taking all appropriate precautions could be held with minimal risk. Face masks should be worn (with noses covered, please), handshakes should be forbidden, and hugging and kissing are just plain out. Any sign of a rise in the percentage of positive cases should result in cancelation of the GTG.

Given those ground rules, I would feel comfortable attending, but again each member would have to make that decision for themselves.

Scott
feistyacorn likes this.

post #2683 of 2689 Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm trying to resist getting on the soapbox. June seems much too soon for an in person GTG, but I do welcome the discussion. I've popped into some home theater forum Zoom sessions that were fun. Any interest in a remote/stream thing?
If/when there's interest in going forward, who would be interested in taking on the responsibility/liability of hosting? I'd be interested in giving advice, having helped develop the safety and cleaning protocols for my company. It can be an uphill battle, especially managing people.
feistyacorn likes this.
post #2684 of 2689 Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'll be sitting out until at least July, no not because my hair is getting a bit long, no definitely not that! To be honest though, my father's birthday is in the beginning of July, and I'd rather be safe for his sake.

On a sidenote, the new hoverBOSS platform shined bright while watching the rat tunnel scene from 1917. The added single digit frequency response added much more suspense than I had anticipated.
feistyacorn likes this.
post #2685 of 2689 Old 05-18-2020, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Home Theater Enthusiast

Jeff seems possibly interested in doing an outdoor event in July.

So I will try to work out the details with him.

Question I have for you guys...

2.0 or 5.1 for the GTG?
srw1000, Mike_WI and feistyacorn like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #2686 of 2689 Old 05-18-2020, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Jeff seems possibly interested in doing an outdoor event in July.

So I will try to work out the details with him.

Question I have for you guys...

2.0 or 5.1 for the GTG?
That sounds great.
feistyacorn likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #2687 of 2689 Old 05-18-2020, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just happened to see this article today that's very timely and relevant to this current discussion:

Coronavirus: How we decide the risks we’re willing to take to venture out
When safety is somewhere between staying home or carrying on

Good points to consider when trying to decide what activities to partake in and which ones to skip.

Scott
feistyacorn likes this.

post #2688 of 2689 Old 05-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Hey guys!

Lots of good points and things to think about. For our family, we will be taking every interaction seriously and use our best judgement. There's a lot of things that are unavoidable and we don't want to be isolated forever. With that said, I have no idea what we'll be able to attend and when. We still have an infant at home taking all of our attention.

For GTGs, I think it might be best to start slow with a lower number of attendees. I like the idea of an outdoor event and we would have plenty of room to social distance so the number of attendees could be slightly higher. I also think that an outdoor event wouldn't need a complex system. 2.0 is fine with me and maybe we can listen to music before the sun sets. Thinking out loud, maybe the outdoor event could be configured partially as "drive-in" style. We could bring the kids and they could sit in the opened hatch on a blanket??? Just a thought....

Rad
srw1000, SOWK and Mike_WI like this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #2689 of 2689 Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
Hey guys!

Lots of good points and things to think about. For our family, we will be taking every interaction seriously and use our best judgement. There's a lot of things that are unavoidable and we don't want to be isolated forever. With that said, I have no idea what we'll be able to attend and when. We still have an infant at home taking all of our attention.

For GTGs, I think it might be best to start slow with a lower number of attendees. I like the idea of an outdoor event and we would have plenty of room to social distance so the number of attendees could be slightly higher. I also think that an outdoor event wouldn't need a complex system. 2.0 is fine with me and maybe we can listen to music before the sun sets. Thinking out loud, maybe the outdoor event could be configured partially as "drive-in" style. We could bring the kids and they could sit in the opened hatch on a blanket??? Just a thought....

Rad
There is some limited data that outside (as expected) is much safer than inside for social gatherings.
The local neighbor kids did an outside movie like that.

Mike
feistyacorn likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page