Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #481 of 785 Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Thanks, he plays the cello, and is VERY excited.
Draden1 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 785 Old 08-30-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're interested in the "perfectly mixed album", give "Waiting For the Night" by Freddy Jones Band a spin. Such glorious dynamics, perfectly recorded instruments. Wonderful songs.

When you're done with that, throw in "Lay Down and Love It Live" by Sonia Dada in. What a great sounding live album. This just goes to show what you can do when your guitar player is the heir to the United Airlines fortune.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #483 of 785 Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
If you're interested in the "perfectly mixed album", give "Waiting For the Night" by Freddy Jones Band a spin. Such glorious dynamics, perfectly recorded instruments. Wonderful songs.

When you're done with that, throw in "Lay Down and Love It Live" by Sonia Dada in. What a great sounding live album. This just goes to show what you can do when your guitar player is the heir to the United Airlines fortune.
Sigh couldn't you have posted that BEFORE the Amazon order.
thrillcat and ZLTFUL like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 785 Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Thanks, he plays the cello, and is VERY excited.
Good for him! I played violin and was 3rd seat in the DSM Youth Symphony myself...although back in the mid to late 80s.
thrillcat likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #485 of 785 Old 08-30-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Congrats @thrillcat . Let me know when you have a free Tuesday. Will definitely meet up with you.
thrillcat likes this.
post #486 of 785 Old 08-31-2018, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
It's been a busy couple weeks since I got back from Colorado. Busy at work. Wilco is back home from his mom's. He auditioned this week for the Des Moines Youth Symphony and got in, so it looks like I'll be in Des Moines pretty much every Tuesday from 4:30-6 with some time to kill, so if anyone wants to meet up to browse ZZZ or Marv's, or grab a beer, let me know.
Congrats to Wilco! That is pretty cool.

I'll definitely make some time on a Tuesday to hang out.
thrillcat likes this.
post #487 of 785 Old 09-08-2018, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Hit a couple of used stores today (Rogue Planet and Jay’s CD/Hobby) and was happy with what I found:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Mellencamp - Scarecrow
Rufus with Chaka Khan - Rags To Rufus
Genesis - Duke
Genesis - Genesis
Chicago - V
Heart - Dreamboat Annie

Giving them a clean and spin tonight/tomorrow, can’t wait!
post #488 of 785 Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Been seeing a lot of posts in the Facebook Marketplace from Vinyl Cup Records:
https://www.facebook.com/vinylcup/?tn-str=k*F

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2051240588253/

I want to head over there sometime in the near future and check them out. It's above Good Sons in Beaverdale.

post #489 of 785 Old 09-09-2018, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Been seeing a lot of posts in the Facebook Marketplace from Vinyl Cup Records:
https://www.facebook.com/vinylcup/?tn-str=k*F

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2051240588253/

I want to head over there sometime in the near future and check them out. It's above Good Sons in Beaverdale.
Definitely let us know what you think if you manage to get there.
post #490 of 785 Old 09-14-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So not vinyl but I have some fun listening ahead with today's Amazon order arriving:

- Alan Parson's Eye in the Sky Blu Ray, 24/96 2ch/5.1
- Inxs Kick 30th, 24/96 2ch/5.1
- Airbag Greatest Show on Earth and Disconnected, CD

Hopefully I will have time to sneak downstairs and give them a listen this weekend. Really looking forward to the 2 5.1 mixes. Especially Parson's as he has a real passion for multichannel.
Draden1 and thrillcat like this.

post #491 of 785 Old 09-14-2018, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
So not vinyl but I have some fun listening ahead with today's Amazon order arriving:

- Alan Parson's Eye in the Sky Blu Ray, 24/96 2ch/5.1
- Inxs Kick 30th, 24/96 2ch/5.1
- Airbag Greatest Show on Earth and Disconnected, CD

Hopefully I will have time to sneak downstairs and give them a listen this weekend. Really looking forward to the 2 5.1 mixes. Especially Parson's as he has a real passion for multichannel.
I recently heard Jethro Tull Aqualung in 5.1, only one song but it was fun. Let us know what you think of these.
post #492 of 785 Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately the weekend didn't give me much of a chance to do a lot of listening. So all I got to sample was The Eye in the Sky multichannel by Alan Parsons. Man, I wish we had more people like Parsons, Bill Guthrie and Andy Jackson out there mixing music. This mix is outstanding. It's everything you'd want. Clean, balanced and great dynamics. Nothing feels lacking. The sonic envelope is never gimmicky. It simply feels bigger. If you enjoy a good multichannel experience, this Blu Ray is a bargain.

In hindsight I probably should have played with INXS first. I imagine I probably won't come away as pleased with it. But hey, it will be a fun nostalgia trip no matter what.

post #493 of 785 Old 09-19-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
Here is a documentary by Wax Tailor that is about independent record stores in the US. It is called In Wax We Trust. Thought you might enjoy it.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #494 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been quiet in here recently, either everyone is busy or took up scrapbooking, lol. Stopped by Marv's over lunch today and got Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Southern Accents and Supertramp - Crime of the Century.

The Tom Petty reissues are from a couple of years ago, I bought the self titled album (sounds great) a while back which gives me confidence about Southern Accents. Chris Bellman did the mastering from the original master tapes, my experiences with his work are positive. If you're a big enough fan you can get a box set of studio albums (1976-1991) and another box set for (1994-2014). These individual pressings I'm mentioning are the same as what's in the box set, just wish they'd release Wildflowers individually but sadly it can only be had in the box set.

Supertramp I bought on a whim because the album is great, problem is I know nothing of this particular pressing which is the 40th Anniversary edition. Hope it's flat and sounds good, fingers crossed.
ZLTFUL likes this.

Last edited by Draden1; 09-21-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #495 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have been quiet because I have been semi angry at my system.
I have been using a pair of VTL Compact 100 tube amps with my Silverlines and have been in absolute love with the sound.
Problem being, one of the original Sovtek power tubes decided its life had come to an end and it ended up sending a DC surge to one of my speakers.

At first, I thought that it cooked one of the tweeters as I was getting a very disconcerting "tearing" type of distortion from the right side speaker on high end passages (trumpets, female voices at high volume, etc).
And since the distortion followed the speaker, I knew it wasn't the amp or the pre that was the source of the distortion.
So I did a bunch of research and ended up swapping both tweeters out with a pair of Fountek ribbon tweeters.

Did a bunch of lower volume listening and a few nights ago went to higher volume...distortion is still there in the right speaker and definitely coming from the tweeter and not the mid.
So now I need to trace the crossover to find which of the capacitors is the tweeter circuit and check the specs on it to see if it took the brunt of the DC surge.

Of course, now I have some nice dome tweeters and some nice ribbons that work with the crossover so there is that...I guess.

But I want to find the cause of the problem before I inadvertently damage something terminally.

post #496 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have been quiet because I have been semi angry at my system.
Problem being, one of the original Sovtek power tubes decided its life had come to an end and it ended up sending a DC surge to one of my speakers.
Oh man, that sucks! I didn't even know that could happen, good luck getting it sorted out. If it were to happen to anyone here I feel you'd be the one with the knowledge/ability to fix it on their own, so there's that.
post #497 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh my silence has been that I've been trying to resurrect my in-laws Win10 install. I've got them new parts so the machine is working I just can't get the old install to boot on anything (it's from an old AMD FX build). Normally I would just reinstall Windows but they have a ton of ancient software that I doubt they can find discs and keys for easily. So I've been dinking around with it and not listening to all that new music mocking me on the end table

post #498 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ugh my silence has been that I've been trying to resurrect my in-laws Win10 install. I've got them new parts so the machine is working I just can't get the old install to boot on anything (it's from an old AMD FX build). Normally I would just reinstall Windows but they have a ton of ancient software that I doubt they can find discs and keys for easily. So I've been dinking around with it and not listening to all that new music mocking me on the end table
This post made me laugh out loud because I can relate to recently doing things for others that ends up being a huge time suck.....patience young Padawan!
post #499 of 785 Old 09-21-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
This post made me laugh out loud because I can relate to recently doing things for others that ends up being a huge time suck.....patience young Padawan!
Oh I know. The bad part is that I know reinstalling will take infinitely more time with getting things back to where they were than trying to track down a board it can boot with to get the drivers switched over.

post #500 of 785 Old 09-22-2018, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Oh man, that sucks! I didn't even know that could happen, good luck getting it sorted out. If it were to happen to anyone here I feel you'd be the one with the knowledge/ability to fix it on their own, so there's that.
All good. I have a new capacitance meter on the way as my old one has seemed to have gone AWOL.
I am fairly certain that the 2.5mf cap in the tweeter circuit on this particular speaker is well out of spec. When I do a "dirty" test of it using a regular DMM, it drops way faster than the other side's same capacitor does which indicates that some of the internal "film" has been fused ultimately changing its overall capacitance.

So I have also ordered new 2.5mf Sonicap Gen Is for the tweeter circuit caps and decided to be proactive with the mid-range circuit and grabbed 4 6.8mf ClarityCap PXs for those.

These are the same values as stock but instead of going back to the stock Solen caps (which I tend to use on my DIY speakers and other crossover rebuilds), I decided to go with the Sonicaps as they have a great reputation for a nice smooth transparent sound and the ClarityCaps as they are a nice reliable workhorse capacitor.

Visual inspection of the inductors shows no physical damage or delamination which would indicate thermal damage. But I am not going to invest in a DCR meter to check them. Those 1.0mh and 1.8mh inductors are dirt cheap anyway if they need to be replaced.

Alan Yun (the man behind Silverline Audio) subscribes to the old adage of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) of crossover design and uses first order slopes on his crossovers so even in a 3 way crossover, you only end up with 2 inductors and 2 capacitors (the 2 6.8mf caps on the mid-range circuit are paralleled for a 13.6mf "single" capacitor).
Draden1 likes this.

post #501 of 785 Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
All good. I have a new capacitance meter on the way as my old one has seemed to have gone AWOL.
I am fairly certain that the 2.5mf cap in the tweeter circuit on this particular speaker is well out of spec. When I do a "dirty" test of it using a regular DMM, it drops way faster than the other side's same capacitor does which indicates that some of the internal "film" has been fused ultimately changing its overall capacitance.

So I have also ordered new 2.5mf Sonicap Gen Is for the tweeter circuit caps and decided to be proactive with the mid-range circuit and grabbed 4 6.8mf ClarityCap PXs for those.

These are the same values as stock but instead of going back to the stock Solen caps (which I tend to use on my DIY speakers and other crossover rebuilds), I decided to go with the Sonicaps as they have a great reputation for a nice smooth transparent sound and the ClarityCaps as they are a nice reliable workhorse capacitor.

Visual inspection of the inductors shows no physical damage or delamination which would indicate thermal damage. But I am not going to invest in a DCR meter to check them. Those 1.0mh and 1.8mh inductors are dirt cheap anyway if they need to be replaced.

Alan Yun (the man behind Silverline Audio) subscribes to the old adage of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) of crossover design and uses first order slopes on his crossovers so even in a 3 way crossover, you only end up with 2 inductors and 2 capacitors (the 2 6.8mf caps on the mid-range circuit are paralleled for a 13.6mf "single" capacitor).
I was just about to say all that.
post #502 of 785 Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Everyone must have problems at the same time. My file server died after a power failure at my home, so ordered a synology nas 1618+ to replace it and have been benching and trying to decide between iscsi or just file share, ive got a 10gbe card for it. been copying data from my old usb 2 drobo to it, also ordered a new used iscsi drobo so i can retire the usb 2 drobo. copying 12tb of data over usb2 sucks, lets play the waiting game for a few days! Meanwhile i can't do much.

7.1.4 system:
JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #503 of 785 Old 09-24-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
Everyone must have problems at the same time. My file server died after a power failure at my home, so ordered a synology nas 1618+ to replace it and have been benching and trying to decide between iscsi or just file share, ive got a 10gbe card for it. been copying data from my old usb 2 drobo to it, also ordered a new used iscsi drobo so i can retire the usb 2 drobo. copying 12tb of data over usb2 sucks, lets play the waiting game for a few days! Meanwhile i can't do much.
Sucks

At least I finally made progress on my issue. BOOTREC and some file copying appears to have brought it back.

As far as the Synology goes, I doubt with 7200RPM SATA disks iSCSI targets will make much difference. I'd make a file share and call it a day.

post #504 of 785 Old 09-24-2018, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
At least I finally made progress on my issue. BOOTREC and some file copying appears to have brought it back.

As far as the Synology goes, I doubt with 7200RPM SATA disks iSCSI targets will make much difference. I'd make a file share and call it a day.
I was just about to say all that.
post #505 of 785 Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

I have been shopping used Dell MD1200 and SC200 Powervaults in 12 drive variants to expand my storage. I am down to 3.5TB free on my last array and since I started ripping 4K disks, storage seems to be going faster.
NewEgg had 4tb HGST Deskstar NAS drives for $100ea if you bought 4...so yeah...

The one cap measured well outside of its 5% rating so the capacitor order was a good move.

I have my Silverlines torn down waiting for parts (going to clean up the crossover layout/mounting) and have the Usher V601s in their place for now. Still sound good but the Silverlines just do all the things so much better.

post #506 of 785 Old 09-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I have been shopping used Dell MD1200 and SC200 Powervaults in 12 drive variants to expand my storage. I am down to 3.5TB free on my last array and since I started ripping 4K disks, storage seems to be going faster.
NewEgg had 4tb HGST Deskstar NAS drives for $100ea if you bought 4...so yeah...

The one cap measured well outside of its 5% rating so the capacitor order was a good move.

I have my Silverlines torn down waiting for parts (going to clean up the crossover layout/mounting) and have the Usher V601s in their place for now. Still sound good but the Silverlines just do all the things so much better.
well shoot, those md1200's are $260 on ebay, i should have gotten one of those! Im also low on storage lol. Did you get a md1200 or sc200?

7.1.4 system:
JVC X770R / 120" Silver Ticket | Marantz 7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Simple Control Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #507 of 785 Old 09-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
well shoot, those md1200's are $260 on ebay, i should have gotten one of those! Im also low on storage lol. Did you get a md1200 or sc200?
Haven't purchased yet but leaning towards the MD1200 as it can be daisy-chained with the stock cards to more MD1200s without the need for additional RAID controllers. Would be a great expansion option considering the sheer amount of media I have.
Now I just need flippin' gigabit upload speeds so I can back all this up to the cloud!

post #508 of 785 Old 09-27-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Macs are doing just fine.

I stopped by Rogue Planet on Tuesday while Wilco was in rehearsal. Really nice selection in there, for the most part priced pretty decently. Predominantly first edition pressings. I picked up a copy of the 2nd Traveling Wilburys album (talked him down $10 from the sticker price), and about a dozen items from the $1 bins. For those of you like me, who like the $1 bins, they have the best in town.

I was so proud of my self control when I left Rogue Planet. Then I realized I still had 45 minutes to kill, and stopped in Solar Loan and bought a gold top Les Paul.

So much for my frugal trip.

But she's a beaut. And it was priced a few hundred below current Reverb.com prices.

post #509 of 785 Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
My Macs are doing just fine.

I stopped by Rogue Planet on Tuesday while Wilco was in rehearsal. Really nice selection in there, for the most part priced pretty decently. Predominantly first edition pressings. I picked up a copy of the 2nd Traveling Wilburys album (talked him down $10 from the sticker price), and about a dozen items from the $1 bins. For those of you like me, who like the $1 bins, they have the best in town.

I was so proud of my self control when I left Rogue Planet. Then I realized I still had 45 minutes to kill, and stopped in Solar Loan and bought a gold top Les Paul.

So much for my frugal trip.

But she's a beaut. And it was priced a few hundred below current Reverb.com prices.
Glad you liked Rogue Planet, easily my favorite shop in town. Congrats on the new toy! How about some pics?
post #510 of 785 Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page