Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #541 of 781 Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
@ZLTFUL , what speakers did you enjoy the most? I see some Tekton Double Impacts there, they’ve gotten ridiculous reviews.
The Double Impacts are the upgraded model too...and they are awesome at their price point. But not my favorite speakers there. Which is saying a lot because I am a sucker for a ring radiator tweeter.
The Tektons just had way too much really good competition in the house.

The top 3 in order of my favorites are as follows:

1. Rosso Fiorentino Siena At $25,000, they were the most expensive pair I spent time with but they also do quite literally everything exceptionally well. The imaging and sound stage was just amazing. Songs felt like live performances with amazing impact and a great dynamic range that nothing else in the house could match. I got to listen to them on the MastersounD Evolution 845 as well as the Norma Audio SC-2B pre/8.7MR Monobloc combination and they sounded flawless with both. The solid state amps gave up a TINY bit of mid range silkiness but they added a slight bit more impact at the lower registers. Honestly, either power option would be end game for almost every normal human being.
Something to note, the Sienas offered the most similar sound to my Silverline Audio Sonatinas. They took everything I love about my Silverlines and elevated it quite a bit. As well they should for 5 times the original retail price. But with my sub in the mix, I couldn't justify the extra cost unless I came into a financial windfall to be honest.

Norma Audio Stack:

2. Rosso Fiorentino Pienza At $3500, this small in stature "compact monitor" is unbelievable. The amount of impact from the single rear posted 5" woofer is nothing short of astonishing. And the overall sound and imaging is much like the much more expensive sibling, the Siena. And while they give up a bunch of that low end and don't have quite the upper end shimmer of the Sienas, they are very good at punching WELLLLLLLL above their size and price point. I was literally stunned at the amount of bass coming from these diminutive little fellas. Imaging was that Rosso magic while the dynamics are the best I have heard from a speaker of this size.
Honestly, the Pienza is everything I am hoping for from my own DIY bookshelf project but I would be ecstatic to hit 80% of its performance.

3. Sonner Audio Allegro Unum At just under $10,000, these stand mount monitors are something I would happily own. The magic that Gunny (Spl?, the owner of Sonner) has created with the ScanSpeak Revelator radial ring tweeter along with the magnesium woofer and a gorgeous cabinet design is quite simply astounding. I pressured myself to find anything that this gorgeous speaker didn't at least do well. And to be honest, I failed myself. If is loud, impactful, airy, composed...it just does it all right.
While it doesn't excel at low end, I think it would be my first choice of these three to listen to classical or jazz on.

Honorable Mentions:
Rosso Fiorentino Volterra: While Skip pushes the nearly half as much Fiesole as the better price/performance option, the Volterra has made me happy every time I have heard it. Paired with the Norma gear, it was a wonderfully good match.
Rosso Fiorentino Elba: The least expensive of the Rosso "towers", the Elba is a fantastic speaker at its price point. While they weren't available to listen to this time, I have heard them at Lone Star Audio Fest and really enjoyed them. Those were in white. Skip has a pair of the black Ostrich leather Elbas in stock and I would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful and more competent speaker at its $4000 price.
Sonner Audio Legato Duo: I had experienced Sonner's products at LSAF and really enjoyed them. And while I didn't get to hear the Legato Duo at Skip's house, the Rosewood pair he had on hand were absolutely gorgeous.

PS: Forgot to mention the Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1s Skip took in as trade in. While they weren't demoed at all, I have experience with them and the $5000 asking price Skip is asking for the pair is a real bargain. Shipping would be prohibitive as the weight of just the monitor section alone (made from cast iron) is astounding. But if someone is interested, I could facilitate some transportation and maybe even a slight discount.
dlbeck and Draden1 like this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread

Last edited by ZLTFUL; 10-23-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 781 Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I’ve never heard of Rosso Fiorentino before, they sound/look very nice.
post #543 of 781 Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve never heard of Rosso Fiorentino before, they sound/look very nice.
I hadn't either until Lone Star Audio Fest last year. Amazing product and a pair of Sienas just showed up for sale for $12,500 which is 50% off retail...
I am seriously considering selling my Ducati Multistrada.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 781 Old 10-24-2018, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, do that, sell whatever you need to. I'm all in favor of everyone doing whatever they need to in order to buy all this gear....then I came come over and listen to it.
post #545 of 781 Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Good write up on the speakers Ryan! With the increasing danger that motorcycle riders encounter you would only be helping to reduce the risk factors in your life by trading!

I've made it through 2 of the three Airbag discs and halfway through the 3rd. To my surprise The Greatest Show on Earth is in last place. Identity and Disconnected (so far) have both been better. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but I've been enjoying it. And I'm still quite happy with the the tweeter change on the B&W's. Not sure what I will venture onto next. Thinking ELO, which will be in St. Paul in July
Draden1 likes this.

post #546 of 781 Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Good write up on the speakers Ryan! With the increasing danger that motorcycle riders encounter you would only be helping to reduce the risk factors in your life by trading!

I've made it through 2 of the three Airbag discs and halfway through the 3rd. To my surprise The Greatest Show on Earth is in last place. Identity and Disconnected (so far) have both been better. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but I've been enjoying it. And I'm still quite happy with the the tweeter change on the B&W's. Not sure what I will venture onto next. Thinking ELO, which will be in St. Paul in July

I’m currently trying to choose my ‘19 ELO show(s). I honestly thought they’d be done after the ‘18 run, as Jeff has gotta be pushing 70.

Thinking perhaps St. Paul and Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Draden1 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #547 of 781 Old 10-25-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since I've done almost all my records at this point I figure I'd share my thoughts regarding the Kirmuss Ultrasonic cleaner. I purchased a used unit a couple of months ago from a not too happy user so yay for me! These don't come up for sale used very often from what I've seen.

It's my first trip into ultrasonic cleaning and ultimately I'm glad I did. Expectations need to be in line before using this as i think the person I bought it from thought it would clean/fix all of the dirtiest and beat up records he had. Spoiler alert, it doesn't. What it does do is move the quality of your record up a grade (IMHO). If you have a VG graded record this will probably take it to VG+, VG+ to NM- and so on. That is no small feat as this gives me more enjoyment from my records, and that's what it's all about. This clearly does a better job than anything I was doing by hand and with my Spin Clean.

Through trial and error I've found that giving a used record a nice cleaning by hand before putting it through the machine paid dividends. Not sure if that loosened up some of the grime and gunk first and then the ultrasonic blasted it all away? That's what it seems like it's doing though. It's quite a bit of work to get through all my records as this machine does not dry, that is all done by hand.

Another trial and error bit I've gotten a pretty good handle on is how long to clean the records. The manufacturer gives some recommendations but I give brand new records a 5 minute wash with no sprays. Used records are dependent on the condition, most are in the 15 minute range but I've gone as long as 45 on some. I stopped noticing differences once you get around the 20-25 minute mark though.

I have been cleaning in 20-25 record bunches and this has taken me almost 2 months to get through my (still small) collection of approximately 150 records. Obviously I didn't clean every week but that may give you an approximation on time, unless you have the freedom and are able to just hunker down and crush through this...good luck with that.

The pic below is a stock photo I found, it can do 2 12" lp's, 1 10" 78, and 1 7" 45 at a time. I don't have any 78's and only 2 of the smaller 45's so those slots didn't really help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kirmuss.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	2473310  

Last edited by Draden1; 10-25-2018 at 07:59 AM.
post #548 of 781 Old 10-26-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@thrillcat , a while back you mentioned The Freddy Jones Band - Waiting For The Night. I listened on youtube recently and enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation. It's a nice "get stuff done" album and while listening it reminded me of certain times in high school. I looked it up on discogs and wouldn't you know it, 1993!
thrillcat likes this.
post #549 of 781 Old 10-26-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw them countless times at People’s when I was an undergrad (90-94). They were a staple there.

After I moved west I saw them at The Fillmore and at Slim’s.

Good times.

Draden1 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #550 of 781 Old 10-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up a Freddy Jones CD at Goodwill on a whim... Self titled "The Freddy Jones Band"...have dug it ever since and couldn't go wrong for $1.
Draden1 and thrillcat like this.

post #551 of 781 Old 10-26-2018, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I saw them countless times at People’s when I was an undergrad (90-94). They were a staple there.

After I moved west I saw them at The Fillmore and at Slim’s.

Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I picked up a Freddy Jones CD at Goodwill on a whim... Self titled "The Freddy Jones Band"...have dug it ever since and couldn't go wrong for $1.
It never got an lp release. I think I’m with you Ryan, if I run across it at a thrift store I’ll pick it up.
post #552 of 781 Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It never got an lp release. I think I’m with you Ryan, if I run across it at a thrift store I’ll pick it up.

That release didn’t, but there was a smaller, independent release that is 90% the same track listing from before they were picked up by Capricorn. I’ve heard tales of that on vinyl, which would be a HUGE score.

post #553 of 781 Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Picked up Ray Lamontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black yesterday, it was brand new from Marv’s. The music is great but that’s not what this is about.

When I took the record out of the sleeve I couldn’t believe how dirty it was, and there were smudges (I guess) all over both sides. This looked worse than most used records I see. Gave it a wash and the smudges were not going away, they are the marks you get from improper handling, scuffs are a better way to describe them. After an entire play through the scuffs/marks were too audible for me to accept from a new purchase....it’s going back, a shame too as others had similar issues when I read about it afterwards.

The label was RCA/Legacy which is Sony owned. The masters used on their records are quite good and this is no exception, I thought it sounded great. The pressing was the issue, it was pressed by United....not cool United.

Last edited by Draden1; 10-27-2018 at 05:50 AM.
post #554 of 781 Old 10-29-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Picked up Ray Lamontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black yesterday, it was brand new from Marv’s. The music is great but that’s not what this is about.

When I took the record out of the sleeve I couldn’t believe how dirty it was, and there were smudges (I guess) all over both sides. This looked worse than most used records I see. Gave it a wash and the smudges were not going away, they are the marks you get from improper handling, scuffs are a better way to describe them. After an entire play through the scuffs/marks were too audible for me to accept from a new purchase....it’s going back, a shame too as others had similar issues when I read about it afterwards.

The label was RCA/Legacy which is Sony owned. The masters used on their records are quite good and this is no exception, I thought it sounded great. The pressing was the issue, it was pressed by United....not cool United.
Sorry to hear the album was a dud quality wise. Hopefully the replacement is up to snuff. I really dig Ray's stuff. Such a soulful artist with a unique sound. I played "Till the Sun turns Black" at our last music get together at your place.
Draden1 likes this.

Last edited by jeahrens; 10-29-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #555 of 781 Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

D’Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah. My latest album that I’m happy to say plays/sounds excellent! He’s got a little crazy in him but his albums are all great, too bad he’s only had 3 studio albums since 1995.

What have others been listening to recently? Joel shared not long ago, I’m always on the lookout for things I haven’t heard.
post #556 of 781 Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm getting: Home Invasion - Steve Wilson over the weekend. When I get a chance to listen I'll report back.
Draden1 likes this.

post #557 of 781 Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

I am still working on getting my new streamer set up. The basic functionality is done and running great. Now I am copying a selection of stuff to local storage and working my way through setting up and using Roon.
Draden1 likes this.

post #558 of 781 Old 11-05-2018, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@thrillcat , I finally got around to some of the records you brought over to my place back in May. There was a stack of freebies that you left and I’m glad you did. Sweet-Desolation Boulevard, Pink Floyd-WYWH, and The Doobie Brothers-Captain and Me all sound great, nice and quiet after a good cleaning (Captain and Me has slight edge warp on side 1). Still have to go through Frampton Comes Alive and Ramsey Lewis-Golden Hits.

In particular, I’m really digging that Sweet album!
post #559 of 781 Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sundazed is having a 20%-50% off sale right now, some good records there.....and free shipping too.

https://sundazed.com/
post #560 of 781 Old 11-16-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this but crank this on your 2ch systems. Just have a sock close by.

Draden1 likes this.

post #561 of 781 Old 11-20-2018, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

T. Rex - Electric Warrior, the 2017 Reprise version is excellent if anyone has interest in that album. I’ve listened a couple of times now and the detail is wonderful! The background singers feel truly separated from the rest of the music and the strumming of the guitar strings on several songs adds a presence that’s very engaging....great listen!
post #562 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With the holidays coming up is anyone treating themselves (or from others) with new music, gear, or concerts?
post #563 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw The Struts at Wooly’s last week and my ears are still ringing. They had that place pegged.

A few weeks earlier I had front row for Ghost at Stephens Auditorium. What’s funny is I thought I’d need my earplugs for the satanic metal ritual and it was gloriously not cranked, loud but not too loud.

So now it’s just saving up for KISS and maybe another ELO show in 2019.

Picked up a copy of Surf Punks the other day at ZZZ. Takes me back to middle school.

Draden1 likes this.

post #564 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice pics! I've never heard of Ghost but metal isn't really my thing...dig their outfits though.
post #565 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice pics! I've never heard of Ghost but metal isn't really my thing...dig their outfits though.

Give the newest album a listen. It’s heavy, but VERY melodic, and they use a lot of Doors-y organ. My gf didn’t think she would enjoy it but has been hooked ever since, and said it’s the best show she’s seen in over a decade.

Also, the satan stuff is parody.

post #566 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Give the newest album a listen. It’s heavy, but VERY melodic, and they use a lot of Doors-y organ. My gf didn’t think she would enjoy it but has been hooked ever since, and said it’s the best show she’s seen in over a decade.

Also, the satan stuff is parody.
Will do!
post #567 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two album recommendations if you don't have them, or if you do, give them a listen if it's been awhile.

Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
Billy Squier - Don't Say No

Excitable Boy has a who's who of guest artists on it, John McKvie, Mick Fleetwood, Jeff Porcaro, Linda Rondstadt, Jennifer Warnes....great album!
thrillcat likes this.
post #568 of 781 Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just spent the last 30 minutes going through 20 pages of this auction (37 pages total) and thought there’d be enough stuff of interest that people here may take a look. It appears most of these auctions are done in 9 to 10 days.

Page 16 has a new Manley Chinook phono preamp for $400, sadly I’m sure it won’t stay there as it retails new for $2400 ish.

Tons of tubes if you have any tube gear, @ZLTFUL .

Records, laserdiscs, blu-rays, dvd’s, amps

If anyone bids, let us know as I’d be curious to hear about it.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=154799

Update: Just read the fine print, it’s local pickup only...in California!

Last edited by Draden1; 12-06-2018 at 07:34 PM.
post #569 of 781 Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I forwarded the link to a friend in CA with a small list of things I would be interested in but with low prices as well. I have spare tubes out the wazoo for my 3 tube amps. And need to control my audio spending to save up for a projector in the spring.

post #570 of 781 Old 12-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
With the holidays coming up is anyone treating themselves (or from others) with new music, gear, or concerts?

I bought a rack and new PDU's for my gear and grabbed a pair of Slanted 8 LP's to round out my 9.1.4 for when I get a Atmos AVR.

Also may buy a used pair of LS50W's depending on the price the guy wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page