AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Area Home Theater Meets (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-area-home-theater-meets/)
-   -   Des Moines area turntable listening session (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-area-home-theater-meets/2974363-des-moines-area-turntable-listening-session.html)

Draden1 04-30-2018 06:33 PM

Does anyone own any records mastered at 45 rpm? Not singles, but actual albums that have been re-done at that speed? I own a few and they are pretty awesome, there’s more detail, space, etc. From what I’ve read, 45 grooves are wider than 33.3 grooves so the stylus has an easier time getting to all the information, hence more of everything while listening.

I have Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, Fiona Apple - Tidal, Duke Ellington - Masterpieces (mono), and The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (mono). This doesn’t mean these are the absolute best sounding albums I have just because they are 45 rpm, although Rumours and Masterpieces are on a different level from anything else I own.

If you have any recorded at that speed please bring them, I’d love to hear.

theblackangus 05-01-2018 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draden1 (Post 56119760)
Ok, with how quick this was put together and me basically talking out loud through these posts, this is the deal.

First hour or so we could do some comparisons to get our nerdom satisfied. After that the request lines will be open, we will have 4 tables so they should make for a great time!

From here until the event let’s talk music, pressings (they do matter), turntables, carts, preamps, amps, etc.

Anyone have any good queen vinyl?

thrillcat 05-01-2018 05:38 AM

I have a bunch of stuff at 45. My Morning Jacket, Mike Doughty, Wilco...

I'll plan on getting a good mix of stuff again this time. Perhaps I'll add in some jazz this trip, too.

theblackangus 05-01-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillcat (Post 56121106)
I have a bunch of stuff at 45. My Morning Jacket, Mike Doughty, Wilco...

I'll plan on getting a good mix of stuff again this time. Perhaps I'll add in some jazz this trip, too.

If you have any Miles Davis I would appreciate that.

thrillcat 05-01-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblackangus (Post 56121344)
If you have any Miles Davis I would appreciate that.

Seriously, what kind of question is that?

Of course I have Miles Davis.

I was also going to re-listen between now and then to some of my Dexter Gordon and Ramsey Lewis and pick out a couple that may sound better than others.

I also have some interesting stuff, like the Perrey Kingsley "In Sound from Way Out" album that I'll bring.

Actually, I'm attaching an xls file that contains the vast majority of my collection. It hasn't been updated since 2014, but it contains the last BIG purchase. Take a look and make your requests. I can't guarantee the condition of all of them, as I also like to dig the $1 bins, but hey. Better than nothing.

I'll also probably bring a couple crates I have in the basement that are duplicates and stuff I don't want, and y'all can have whatever you want from it. Plenty of Dan Fogelberg.

thrillcat 05-01-2018 06:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops. Here's the collection. Wouldn't let me add an excel.

thrillcat 05-01-2018 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a good spreadsheet.

jeahrens 05-01-2018 09:47 AM

I'm interested in attending, but you can bump me if need be. My interest is purely in the listening side :D

Draden1 05-01-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeahrens (Post 56122326)
I'm interested in attending, but you can bump me if need be. My interest is purely in the listening side :D

Excellent!

Draden1 05-01-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theblackangus (Post 56120992)
Anyone have any good queen vinyl?

I have their Greatest Hits I compilation.....good stuff.

Draden1 05-01-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillcat (Post 56121392)
Here's a good spreadsheet.

My god you have a ton of records! I've seen them at your place but in a list it's ridiculous, and awesome.

I'd appreciate Wilco - Sky Blue Sky, excited to hear Impossible Germany.

theblackangus 05-01-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draden1 (Post 56122692)
My god you have a ton of records! I've seen them at your place but in a list it's ridiculous, and awesome.

I'd appreciate Wilco - Sky Blue Sky, excited to hear Impossible Germany.

Months of work building that list.... let alone the collection!

Draden1 05-01-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillcat (Post 56121372)
I'll also probably bring a couple crates I have in the basement that are duplicates and stuff I don't want, and y'all can have whatever you want from it. Plenty of Dan Fogelberg.

You’re like Goodwill, except you deliver.

theblackangus 05-02-2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draden1 (Post 56125568)
You’re like Goodwill, except you deliver.

Oh that was too funny!

dlbeck 05-02-2018 05:29 AM

@thrillcat - can you bring your two pressings of Pink Floyd - WYWH?

Draden1 05-02-2018 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My list is nothing like @thrillcat but take a look and see if there's anything you'd be interested in hearing.

Oh, if anyone is interested in creating/maintaining a list of their music, I highly recommend discogs.com. Just create a free membership and look for your exact copy, you can search by catalog number, upc code, title, etc. It's really useful when searching for specific pressings and since it's online you can access it when you're out shopping to see if you've already got that copy or not.

thrillcat 05-02-2018 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlbeck (Post 56126806)
@thrillcat - can you bring your two pressings of Pink Floyd - WYWH?

I will bring them (if there are actually two), but I'll guarantee that my level of Pink Floyd fandom says those were $10 or less at a used shop. :)

The list was actually created by an ex who was tired of me buying records I already owned because I couldn't remember if I owned them (this is also why there are errors like not knowing The Police are the artist on Outlandos D'Amour, and that Poi Dog Pondering is the band, not Poi Dog, and that it's Sigue Sigue Sputnik, not just Sputnik). So I had no real part in the creation, but I'm 100% responsible for the lack of updates since 2014.

thrillcat 05-02-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draden1 (Post 56126996)
My list is nothing like @thrillcat but take a look and see if there's anything you'd be interested in hearing.

Oh, if anyone is interested in creating/maintaining a list of their music, I highly recommend discogs.com. Just create a free membership and look for your exact copy, you can search by catalog number, upc code, title, etc. It's really useful when searching for specific pressings and since it's online you can access it when you're out shopping to see if you've already got that copy or not.

I have a discogs account, I just wish they would create an app like bluray.com that allows you to scan the UPC code to build your collection. Discogs is a pain to build when you've got 500 or 600 albums. THAT would take months.

Draden1 05-02-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillcat (Post 56127018)
I have a discogs account, I just wish they would create an app like bluray.com that allows you to scan the UPC code to build your collection. Discogs is a pain to build when you've got 500 or 600 albums. THAT would take months.

Since I started collecting records I had an account there so it has been easy to maintain. You are in a different boat, that would take awhile like you said to get all your stuff entered in.

dlbeck 05-02-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draden1 (Post 56126996)
My list is nothing like @thrillcat but take a look and see if there's anything you'd be interested in hearing.

Oh, if anyone is interested in creating/maintaining a list of their music, I highly recommend discogs.com. Just create a free membership and look for your exact copy, you can search by catalog number, upc code, title, etc. It's really useful when searching for specific pressings and since it's online you can access it when you're out shopping to see if you've already got that copy or not.

Purple Rain...that’s our reference :). Both you guys don’t have any albums by the best artist out there. So disappointing. ;)

Draden1 05-02-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlbeck (Post 56127120)
Purple Rain...that’s our reference :). Both you guys don’t have any albums by the best artist out there. So disappointing. ;)

Best artist, you must have missed the "H" in my list because I have two Hall and Oates records. :cool:

dlbeck 05-02-2018 06:49 AM

Need to make sure @jeahrens attends and upgrades his shipping on PF - Pulse. Then we can have the grand unwrapping of the 4 LP set. Should be quite amazing.

thrillcat 05-02-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlbeck (Post 56127120)
Purple Rain...that’s our reference :). Both you guys don’t have any albums by the best artist out there. So disappointing. ;)

Wrong. I have TWO Debbie Gibson albums.

Draden1 05-02-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillcat (Post 56127182)
Wrong. I have TWO Debbie Gibson albums.

I give up, you win...

dlbeck 05-02-2018 07:10 AM

I’ll try to post my stellar inventory (lol). Ordered a few more for this event so be ready. Also need to make time to rip the preamp out of my player. Should be interesting.

Draden1 05-02-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlbeck (Post 56127252)
I’ll try to post my stellar inventory (lol). Ordered a few more for this event so be ready. Also need to make time to rip the preamp out of my player. Should be interesting.

If you do attempt it on your own, I think you'll find once you get into it, it's not too bad. One of the trickiest bits was to figure out how to set the table upside down, I used the styrofoam that came with the packaging which worked well.

There's a couple different ways to do it, solder or solderless. I went solderless which was why I went to the hardware store in the middle of it, needed really small wire nuts and electrical tape. It wasn't pretty on the inside when I was done but it worked great.

What preamp do you have to hook the table into? Not sure what you're running for your 2 channel setup, does your processor or receiver have a "phono" in?

dlbeck 05-02-2018 07:34 AM

Run the TT through the Parasound Halo.

Draden1 05-02-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlbeck (Post 56127384)
Run the TT through the Parasound Halo.

Very nice, I'm assuming you've been running your table in bypass and hooking directly into the Parasound? The preamp removal in the table should open the sound up a bit more, especially the highs. Even in bypass mode the sound still gets run through the built in preamp which does color it a bit.

People with bright cartridges and speakers didn't always like the sound after the preamp removal as it gets you closer to the actual recording and reveals for better or worse what's in the grooves, ymmv.

theblackangus 05-02-2018 08:16 AM

Ahh this thread brought some good morning laughs.

Draden1 05-02-2018 08:22 AM

^ Agreed, Debbie Gibson made me actually laugh out loud.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.