Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #631 of 779 Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Not a record (vinyl) but I spent the weekend listening to John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999

Always loved John Williams' scores. And always get goosebumps from many of the ones on this album.
Such a talented composer.

I also had forgotten that he was the genius behind the Olympic Fanfare and March.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 779 Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Not a record (vinyl) but I spent the weekend listening to John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999

Always loved John Williams' scores. And always get goosebumps from many of the ones on this album.

I also had forgotten that he was the genius behind the Olympic Fanfare and March.
My favorite of his is probably E.T. He's pretty awesome!
post #633 of 779 Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Oh this looks awesome.
Me want.
ZLTFUL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 779 Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For anyone interested (@thrillcat), this is the go-to pressing for Aja amongst the record nerds. It’s dynamic and awesome, highly recommended!

“AB-1006” is what you’re looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3334409-2A8A-4039-A414-27CBEA0923D0.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2513550  
thrillcat likes this.
post #635 of 779 Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I took my own advice and bought the Mofi version of Crime Of The Century so my 40th anniversary edition is up for sale. It’s been ultrasonically cleaned, inners are in great shape. The jacket has a 1” split on top crease and 1.5” split on spine, it’s how I received them originally. I’m not overly picky about the packaging and didn’t want the hassle of returning it, the record is in great shape.

Let me know if you’re interested, $8 takes it for anyone local. Disregard, it sold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F96769B-7F1A-4DDF-8347-EAD193533D1B.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2513894   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5B1AFE7-4ED6-4DE8-AE00-C7DF81A28716.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2513896   Click image for larger version

Name:	57D7251B-1A32-4A60-8A5F-920947452D76.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2513898  

Last edited by Draden1; 01-24-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #636 of 779 Old 01-28-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some stuff I’ve been listening to recently.

Dr. John - In The Right Place (1973). New Orleans funk or Bayeau funk is what it’s been described as. The Meters played as the backing band so that’s all you need to know. Fun album to listen to, most will know Right Place Wrong Time as it’s been used in numerous movies and tv shows.

Dire Straits - Communique (1979). This is my current early morning, drinking coffee, checking websites album (The Black Keys-Turn Blue fits here also). The consistent mellow(ish) vibe suits my ears at that time of day and I don’t need to pay full attention for an enjoyable listen. The music is good/interesting enough to make me perk up numerous times throughout, great guitar work.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Imperial Bedroom (2012 Mofi), Get Happy (2011 Mofi). IB is simply awesome from start to finish! The music is varied enough to pick new things up on subsequent listens. If you’re in the mood for lyrics, it’s Elvis Costello so plenty to get into there. Standouts are Tears Before Bedtime, Shabby Doll, And In Every Home, The Loved Ones, and Human Hands. Get Happy has 20 tracks at 2-3 minutes each, the music being upbeat. The tracks flow nicely from one to another which makes me think of the album as a whole instead of individual songs. The bass guitar on this album is out front and outstanding, a treat to hear!

Tommy James & The Shondells - Best Of compilation (1987). I’m not big into greatest hits but this is really good. Hits like Mony Mony, Crimson And Clover, I Think We’re Alone Now (Travis, your girl covered this), and Crystal Blue Persuasion make this worth owning. Crimson And Clover is the full version with an extended instrumental in the middle as compared to the radio friendly version I’ve heard forever, it’s groovy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8C681028-781A-4A41-9929-B840EEA71C94.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2517666  
post #637 of 779 Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Some stuff I’ve been listening to recently.

Dr. John - In The Right Place (1973). New Orleans funk or Bayeau funk is what it’s been described as. The Meters played as the backing band so that’s all you need to know. Fun album to listen to, most will know Right Place Wrong Time as it’s been used in numerous movies and tv shows.

Dire Straits - Communique (1979). This is my current early morning, drinking coffee, checking websites album (The Black Keys-Turn Blue fits here also). The consistent mellow(ish) vibe suits my ears at that time of day and I don’t need to pay full attention for an enjoyable listen. The music is good/interesting enough to make me perk up numerous times throughout, great guitar work.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Imperial Bedroom (2012 Mofi), Get Happy (2011 Mofi). IB is simply awesome from start to finish! The music is varied enough to pick new things up on subsequent listens. If you’re in the mood for lyrics, it’s Elvis Costello so plenty to get into there. Standouts are Tears Before Bedtime, Shabby Doll, And In Every Home, The Loved Ones, and Human Hands. Get Happy has 20 tracks at 2-3 minutes each, the music being upbeat. The tracks flow nicely from one to another which makes me think of the album as a whole instead of individual songs. The bass guitar on this album is out front and outstanding, a treat to hear!

Tommy James & The Shondells - Best Of compilation (1987). I’m not big into greatest hits but this is really good. Hits like Mony Mony, Crimson And Clover, I Think We’re Alone Now (Travis, your girl covered this), and Crystal Blue Persuasion make this worth owning. Crimson And Clover is the full version with an extended instrumental in the middle as compared to the radio friendly version I’ve heard forever, it’s groovy!

That was Tiffany. The poor man’s Debbie Gibson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #638 of 779 Old 01-29-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
That was Tiffany. The poor man’s Debbie Gibson.
My apologies to you and the Queen Deborah.
post #639 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a couple weeks with it, I can say that I do think the Milty Zerostat is actually doing quite a bit for my static problem.

I’ve tested it on laundry. It is absolutely removing static.

If I don’t aim it quite right when using it on a record, I can feel it pulling the hair on my arm up.

I was skeptical when I ordered it, but I’m a believer. If it lasts as long as people claim, it will be well worth it in this world of polar vortexes.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #640 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
After a couple weeks with it, I can say that I do think the Milty Zerostat is actually doing quite a bit for my static problem.

I’ve tested it on laundry. It is absolutely removing static.

If I don’t aim it quite right when using it on a record, I can feel it pulling the hair on my arm up.

I was skeptical when I ordered it, but I’m a believer. If it lasts as long as people claim, it will be well worth it in this world of polar vortexes.
So do you use it each time you take a record out of the sleeve? Or maybe each time you flip it over? Or is it a once and done thing for quite awhile?
post #641 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Somewhere in between. Since it’s new and I’ve had static issues, I’m using it on both sides of the album on everything. But if I take out an album I’ve previously used it on, i haven’t been zapping it again, and it seems to be holding.

I’m hoping I will be using it less frequently once my collection has been zapped.

Too bad I can’t rent an industrial sized Milty and zap the entire collection at once.

post #642 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Somewhere in between. Since it’s new and I’ve had static issues, I’m using it on both sides of the album on everything. But if I take out an album I’ve previously used it on, i haven’t been zapping it again, and it seems to be holding.

I’m hoping I will be using it less frequently once my collection has been zapped.

Too bad I can’t rent an industrial sized Milty and zap the entire collection at once.
Huh, good to know. I may take a look for it used, I think they're supposed to function essentially forever.
post #643 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huh, good to know. I may take a look for it used, I think they're supposed to function essentially forever.
The reviews I was reading, guys bought this like 30 years ago when it was made by a different manufacturer and it's still going. If it will last 30+ years, that should be all I need, and amortized out, the $85 I paid for it new will be a pretty decent investment.

That reminds me, I need to add it into my estate planning. That Wilco is a lucky kid.

post #644 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The reviews I was reading, guys bought this like 30 years ago when it was made by a different manufacturer and it's still going. If it will last 30+ years, that should be all I need, and amortized out, the $85 I paid for it new will be a pretty decent investment.

That reminds me, I need to add it into my estate planning. That Wilco is a lucky kid.
That's pretty cheap if it will actually last that long. Similar to the Onzow stylus cleaner, I think that's $40 but will last as long as you keep it up. I use the Onzow after each side I play and am amazed at what it picks up. A friend wasn't cleaning his stylus at all since he got a new table (5 months maybe) and was recently having problems with it skipping/sliding. The stylus had all kinds of gunk on it when I came over, we cleaned it with a brush and some distilled water which did wonders. Now he's been using the Onzow each side and has had no issues. Basic TT maintenance boys and girls...do it.

Oh, you know Wilco is going to sell all your stereo stuff the second he has a chance, lol. It's a streaming world dude!
thrillcat likes this.
post #645 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve been surprised at how much gunk the Hana is pulling out of the grooves compared to the Sumiko or the Ortofon.

post #646 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve been surprised at how much gunk the Hana is pulling out of the grooves compared to the Sumiko or the Ortofon.
Cool, it's digging deeper into the grooves and pulling up more crud than your previous one's. It's also pulling up more music too!
post #647 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

With today and tomorrow off, I have been warming up my amps (and my office with them) to spend some quality time with my vinyl.

I am also going to get some work done in the basement...adding more storage, tiling in the bathroom, more sawdust in the theater...

post #648 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
With today and tomorrow off, I have been warming up my amps (and my office with them) to spend some quality time with my vinyl.

I am also going to get some work done in the basement...adding more storage, tiling in the bathroom, more sawdust in the theater...

How many more TB? =)
Oh wait... you were meaning physical storage weren't you?
post #649 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up a NetApp DS4246 which is a 24 bay SAS/SATA array. I am also making some major server hardware upgrades as well.
When all is said an done, I should be somewhere north of 150TB of space.
Have the potential for considerably more but 8 and 10 TB drives aren’t cheap enough yet.

post #650 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Listening to anything specific or just going to dive into whatever?
post #651 of 779 Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Really whatever trips my fancy. Have a few albums I have been wanting to spin...Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Phil Collins’ But Seriously, The Chuck Berry London Sessions...
Draden1 likes this.

post #652 of 779 Old 02-01-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Was recently in The Vinyl Cup for the first time and thought I’d share my impressions. This is the new place (6 months) in the Beaverdale area of north Des Moines.

Was offered something to drink immediately after my friend and I walked in...off to a good start. I began searching in their new arrivals section and was taken back by the pricing which I felt was pretty high...not off to a good start. After leaving the new arrivals I started going through their main inventory which was better priced...back to a good start. Two records I see often but haven’t bought because they are always really beat up are Aerosmith - Rocks and The Police - Synchronicity, both were in good shape and priced well so they’re now mine.

They also rent shelf space to locals trying to sell from their collections, I thought that was pretty cool. Pricing fluctuated greatly from stack to stack as it’s set by the renters. Was very happy to find an Elvis Costello - Armed Forces in these stacks, it’s also now mine.

They have a nice little listening room where the owner was allowing customers to play whatever they felt like. That way you could browse while listening to something interesting. All in all I agree with @ZLTFUL and his thoughts of this place, I liked it and will return.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E182B48B-34AD-4D61-BB4F-D5B64CF5C850.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	2519278  
post #653 of 779 Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MUCH better.

post #654 of 779 Old 02-03-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice, what are these? And don’t say the monoliths from 2001.
post #655 of 779 Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice, what are these? And don’t say the monoliths from 2001.

Definitive Technology BP20

Got an amazing deal on them yesterday. The bipolars fill the cavern nicely.

post #656 of 779 Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Definitive Technology BP20

Got an amazing deal on them yesterday. The bipolars fill the cavern nicely.
Sweet! Local or online? Are they more sensitive than the awesome looking Polks we heard a few weeks ago?
post #657 of 779 Old 02-03-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sweet! Local or online? Are they more sensitive than the awesome looking Polks we heard a few weeks ago?

Local.

Those were Infinty Kappas. Sensitivity is rated about the same but these seem to open up quite a bit more.

post #658 of 779 Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Local.

Those were Infinty Kappas. Sensitivity is rated about the same but these seem to open up quite a bit more.
So was it the new table/cart combo that pushed you into the new speakers?
post #659 of 779 Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really. It’s been something I’ve been looking out for for quite awhile, probably mostly since I heard your 2ch setup and purchased @dlbeck ’s phono preamp.

More than anything, all this gear was on hold until a refi on the house was completed. I was limiting purchases until that was done, but also doing a lot of window shopping.

Draden1 likes this.

post #660 of 779 Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not really. It’s been something I’ve been looking out for for quite awhile, probably mostly since I heard your 2ch setup and purchased @dlbeck ’s phono preamp.

More than anything, all this gear was on hold until a refi on the house was completed. I was limiting purchases until that was done, but also doing a lot of window shopping.
Refi's, life stuff...ugh. I hope you enjoy your new setup for quite some time, keep buying music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page