Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes

post #721 of 743 Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Doing some retooling around here and I have an IKEA Kallax shelf available if anyone is interested.

I downsized my setup from 3 to 2, these are perfect for vinyl storage. It has a few holes in the back, because I had my 3 bracketed together for stability.

$25 for this group. You pick up.

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-s...hite-10305741/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 743 Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Doing some retooling around here and I have an IKEA Kallax shelf available if anyone is interested.

I downsized my setup from 3 to 2, these are perfect for vinyl storage.
Good call, it looks nice!
post #723 of 743 Old 04-27-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When the weather sucks, hit some record shops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2140C42-D741-4392-A375-1426868094DD.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2559244  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 743 Old 05-10-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FINALLY found a copy of this Mr. Big album. One of my all-time favorites but hard to find on vinyl. This copy is from Germany.

Also picked up a half-speed master version of ELO’s “Discovery”. Sounds awesome!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

post #725 of 743 Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
FINALLY found a copy of this Mr. Big album. One of my all-time favorites but hard to find on vinyl. This copy is from Germany.

Also picked up a half-speed master version of ELO’s “Discovery”. Sounds awesome!
Is that ELO part of the CBS half speed series? I’ve seen other albums in the wild from it but haven’t heard them, glad it sounds great!
post #726 of 743 Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Is that ELO part of the CBS half speed series? I’ve seen other albums in the wild from it but haven’t heard them, glad it sounds great!

Yes, it’s in the CBS series. The sound quality difference is similar to the improvement with that Aja pressing you directed me to. Really nice.

post #727 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone make it to the Dave Matthews concert last night at Wells Fargo? A 2 hr, 55 min marathon that could have gotten tedious if he didn’t have such good musicians playing with him. Buddy Strong (keyboards) and Tim Reynolds (guitar) were excellent and any time they had a solo or flourish it stood out over everything else that was going on.

Fun concert!
post #728 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wilco had an orchestra concert last night, so I missed it.

I'm one of the few who is not a Tim Reynolds fan. I didn't mind when he did the duo shows with Dave, but I miss the original lineup of the DMB.

post #729 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm one of the few who is not a Tim Reynolds fan. I didn't mind when he did the duo shows with Dave, but I miss the original lineup of the DMB.
Interesting, you are the only person I’ve heard say they don’t enjoy Tim Reynolds. As for originals, I think the bass player and drummer are holdovers from that lineup.
post #730 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, you are the only person I’ve heard say they don’t enjoy Tim Reynolds. As for originals, I think the bass player and drummer are holdovers from that lineup.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. That's still a band full of talent, but having Tim in the band changed the whole vibe.

Dave's guitar playing is so unique already, and before Tim, the soloing was pretty much sax and fiddle, and I loved that. It was much more interesting. Then he added the keyboards full time and then Tim joined, and it lost some of the uniqueness, in my opinion.

In my opinion, the albums they released through Before These Crowded Streets (which, remind me some time to tell you my Dave story about the recording of that album) were as close to perfection as possible. Dave would write beautiful songs, and the band would go into the studio and use their expertise to make them DMB songs.

With the next album, he decided to work with a new producer, Glenn Ballard, a great producer in his own right, he did things like Jagged Little Pill for Alanis. But he did things differently with Dave. He and Dave took the songs and demoed all the parts, and instead of having the band members add their own flair and talents, they were brought in to simply "play the parts" that Glenn had written.

And the Dave Matthews Band was never the same again.
Draden1 likes this.

post #731 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
You can definitely hear a change from those early albums. They were their own sound. Like a mixture of funk, rock and with some New Orleans Jazz thrown in there. The first 2 albums I loved and it's hit or miss from there. We did see him the time before at the Well and really liked the concert. Way better than the show at Principal park.

Our next concert will be Brit Floyd up at Stephen's in July. Closest you'll get to the real thing and relatively cheap to boot.
Draden1 likes this.

post #732 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The other night I finally had time to crawl up in the attic and bring down the metal platter for the Debut Carbon table and swap it out for the summer. The acrylic platter is great for reducing static, but the metal is much heavier.

Finally have time to put on an album (Sturgill Simpson) and it sounds great! The stereo separation seems better with this than previously.

post #733 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The other night I finally had time to crawl up in the attic and bring down the metal platter for the Debut Carbon table and swap it out for the summer. The acrylic platter is great for reducing static, but the metal is much heavier.
Mass baby! I am still surprised at how many things can have an effect on the end sound in regards to turntables. Which is to say everything seems to have an effect.
post #734 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it’s in the CBS series. The sound quality difference is similar to the improvement with that Aja pressing you directed me to. Really nice.
Speaking of that AB Aja pressing, one just posted on Steve Hoffman Forums. The AB pressing is actually the earliest version, not the AA. VG+ play graded.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...#post-21233433

Last edited by Draden1; 05-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #735 of 743 Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Quote:
Mass baby! I am still surprised at how many things can have an effect on the end sound in regards to turntables. Which is to say everything seems to have an effect.
My Kenwood KD-550 has an aluminum platter. When you would flick it, it would ring like a bell. I placed a large quantity of Dynamat around the bottom side of the platter. The mass and dampening helped a bunch.
Draden1 likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #736 of 743 Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A few more for the collection. If you aren’t familiar with Dr. John, check out Gumbo or In The Right Place...good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	287F1482-8838-4F4B-A484-65714896EE65.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2568484  
ZLTFUL likes this.
post #737 of 743 Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Even though this thread has "turntable" in the title, I'm excited to share that I just purchased a Border Patrol SE DAC. I've been watching the used market for a year (these don't come up often) and finally found a seller willing to let me haggle the price. I should get it by the end of this week or early next week.

What's interesting about this particular dac is that it uses a cheap, old school nos chip combined with a tube rectified power supply. What does all that mean? Based on feedback I've read and asked numerous owners about, it makes cd's sound more analog-like.

I have 300ish cd's which is enough for me to want to enjoy better performance from them, hopefully this helps.
post #738 of 743 Old 05-21-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Drew what preamp are you using? Curious to hear what it does to CDs.

post #739 of 743 Old 05-21-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
drew what preamp are you using? Curious to hear what it does to cds.
xmc-1

It has a “reference stereo” mode that passes the analog signal directly to the volume control and outputs. In addition there are “direct” and “stereo” modes which convert the analog signal to digital (for bass management / Dirac) and then passes it to the processor. The new dac will obviously be on display for reference stereo mode. I am also curious to see if there’s any difference to be had with direct or stereo modes even though the incoming signal from the new dac will have to be be converted to digital by the xmc.

Last edited by Draden1; 05-21-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #740 of 743 Old 05-22-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
xmc-1

It has a “reference stereo” mode that passes the analog signal directly to the volume control and outputs. In addition there are “direct” and “stereo” modes which convert the analog signal to digital (for bass management / Dirac) and then passes it to the processor. The new dac will obviously be on display for reference stereo mode. I am also curious to see if there’s any difference to be had with direct or stereo modes even though the incoming signal from the new dac will have to be be converted to digital by the xmc.
I was curious how many other conversions the signal may or may not have. It does sound like reference stereo passes it to the gain stage which reads like it is analog. The only downside would be no bass management. How much that will impact things depends on how close to full range your inwalls are.

You might be going far enough down the rabbit hole to start thinking about a pure 2ch room with close to full range speakers. Either way really interested to hear your findings on the new DAC. I've been playing with pure direct on the Marantz since the latest patch really changed the music mode for the worse. After going to the Lone Star audio fest, I realize I'm not truly an audiophile. I simply don't have the room or pocketbook to play in that arena.

Speaking of nice speakers I really enjoyed the Sonus Fabers AVL is now carrying. You guys should give them a listen. Very warm and laid back.

post #741 of 743 Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I was curious how many other conversions the signal may or may not have. It does sound like reference stereo passes it to the gain stage which reads like it is analog. The only downside would be no bass management. How much that will impact things depends on how close to full range your inwalls are.

You might be going far enough down the rabbit hole to start thinking about a pure 2ch room with close to full range speakers. Either way really interested to hear your findings on the new DAC. I've been playing with pure direct on the Marantz since the latest patch really changed the music mode for the worse. After going to the Lone Star audio fest, I realize I'm not truly an audiophile. I simply don't have the room or pocketbook to play in that arena.

Speaking of nice speakers I really enjoyed the Sonus Fabers AVL is now carrying. You guys should give them a listen. Very warm and laid back.
When I listen critically I don’t have the volume up very high, that’s why I decided on trying the new dac with reference stereo mode. My speakers play nice and clean at those lowish volumes so what the hell, we’ll see. If I don’t like it I am fairly confident the dac will sell quickly.

I’d LOVE to have a dedicated 2 channel space and I would have converted my basement already if I didn’t have a family that reacted with “for just music, why would you want to do that?”
post #742 of 743 Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I listen critically I don’t have the volume up very high, that’s why I decided on trying the new dac with reference stereo mode. My speakers play nice and clean at those lowish volumes so what the hell, we’ll see. If I don’t like it I am fairly confident the dac will sell quickly.

I’d LOVE to have a dedicated 2 channel space and I would have converted my basement already if I didn’t have a family that reacted with “for just music, why would you want to do that?”
Oh those new Triads sound really nice, I was just thinking that without a sub you may be missing information depending on how low they go. If they get to say 60Hz I doubt you'd notice a lot missing. My CM9's have the crossover set at 60Hz and mixing in the sub is a pretty subtle difference for music.

I was thinking you may have a small room somewhere in the house you could dedicate to it. I wouldn't get rid of your theater setup.

post #743 of 743 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New dac is in and after my first round of listening in stereo mode (will do reference stereo later), it definitely changes the presentation. Without getting too flowery with the wording, I’d say it makes the sound more “live.” Voices and instruments sound more like they are in the room, albeit not as real sounding as a nicely mastered record, but it was more relaxed and enjoyable than I’ve heard digital in my setup.

I was flipping inputs from the dac input to hdmi, and then back again. My hdmi input is straight from the Oppo into the XMC-1 and it definitely has the bass out in front of the sound stage. It doesn’t sound bad at all but switching back to the dac input integrates the bass more into the music, much more lifelike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page