Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 221Likes

post #781 of 796 Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 514
You act like I didn’t get the email from the band early yesterday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZLTFUL likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 796 Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I should’ve known better...rookie mistake.

New tonearm and cartridge on the way! Nothing wrong with my current arm which is a Jelco SA 750L (12”), I am simply curious what a different arm (Jelco TK 850L) can do. Based on a lot of research and conversations I’ve had with owners of the new arm, it should be a worthwhile upgrade. I’ve been extremely happy with my Hana SL cart so I am sticking with them and getting the ML, should have both sometime next week.

If anyone has interest in a well cared for Jelco SA 750L, drop me a line and we can discuss a very reasonable price.
post #783 of 796 Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Nothing wrong with my current arm which is a Jelco SA 750L (12”), I am simply curious what a different arm (Jelco TK 850L) can do.

I’m guessing it’ll give you about another 100L, but that’s just a guess.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 796 Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I’m guessing it’ll give you about another 100L, but that’s just a guess.
Not always about size my man.
post #785 of 796 Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With Summer keeping me busy, the posts have slowed but I managed to get some listening in recently. I have a Tidal trial until September so this is a great time to audition some music.

Breakwater-Breakwater / Breakwater-Splashdown Late 70’s R&B/funk, reminds me of The Brothers Johnson, The Commodores, and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Both albums are enjoyable and I am on the lookout for both.

The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger This is their latest album and it’s good, solid, and unspectacular. Would pick it up if it were really cheap.

As for vinyl, I have 10 hours on the new cartridge/tonearm combo and first impressions are positive! Similar tone to the Hana SL but the ML expands on what the SL excels in, which in my experience is soundstage, detail, and tracking. Excited to keep listening to see how it settles in.
post #786 of 796 Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Some recent finds, would like to hear what others have been up to!

Yes - The Steven Wilson Remixes. The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, TFTO, and Relayer are in this box set. @thrillcat , I remember you poo-pooing (TFTO sucks) Yes at some point a while back, these are phenomenal!

Queen - The Game (promo copy). I've heard these songs throughout my life on CD and was taken back by how much more natural Brian May's guitar and all of their vocals sound on this copy. Bass is less pronounced (artificially pumped up) as compared to the CD.

Blondie - AutoAmerican. Haven't listened yet, found it sealed for $8 so I jumped on it.

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (2 x 45rpm). Not much to say, stunning!

There's others but these are just a few of the things I've picked up.
post #787 of 796 Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don’t NOT like Yes, I LOVE 90125, it just has to be in small doses, especially the older stuff. I appreciate them, it’s just not as listenable as some other acts.

I’ve picked up a few things recently too.

St Paul & the Broken Bones - Young Sick Camellia. These guys were the standout act from Hinterland for me, and this album backs it up. What an amazing show they put on. This is their most recent release.

John Mayer - Continuum (2LP). Just fantastic stuff, very well recorded. For those who love his blues trio, remember, they’re the anchors of his non-blues trio band as well. That soul is in here.

Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind (2LP). This really takes me back to living in Sausalito, as my roommate at the time was obsessed with this album. It’s pretty kick-ass.

Can’t remember if I shared the Betty Davis “They Say I’m Different” purchase but holy **** is it funkaaayyyyy.

Also pre-ordered the upcoming special release of Ghost’s “Prequelle” album that comes with a book and some unreleased tracks as well.

Draden1 likes this.

post #788 of 796 Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I heard from a couple of people that Hinterland was really good, didn't hear about St Paul & the Broken Bones though. May have to check it out before my 3 month trial from Tidal expires, which is soon.

Oh, thought I'd throw this out there since this is a music thread. I've found Tidal "hifi" quality is really good for exploring albums. A great way to introduce yourself to bands/albums you wouldn't normally have a chance to hear, far better than youtube or anything like that. Tidal is close to CD quality on my system but doesn't quite have the separation that CD's do. I can only go up to "hifi" quality, no "masters" as I don't have the gear to decode MQA.

Bottom line, if you can get a 3 month (or 1) trial like I did, I highly recommend trying it. I'm not going to be paying for a monthly subscription though once my trial is over.
post #789 of 796 Old 08-27-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hinterland was very Country this year. I thought last year was a better lineup overall.

Case in point, I think Jason Isbell is extremely overrated. He’s a talented guy that releases extremely BORING music.

I can see where St Paul would fall through the cracks for a lot of the people there, as they aren’t country. For those like me, who dig the more upbeat stuff, they were amazing.

Also of note were Hippo Campus, the War and Treaty, the Nude Party, Hozier, and Dawes.

post #790 of 796 Old 08-31-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was reissued/remastered AAA by Chris Bellman in 2018, limited to 4100 copies (supposedly). If you are a Los Lobos fan I’d recommend picking this up. Great album that sounds stellar...$20 well spent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85DB0124-7341-405C-A292-3C20A5807B94.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	2609662  
post #791 of 796 Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone else a Kraftwerk fan? It’s taken a few listens but I have come around on the genius that is Autobahn, one of my favorite chill albums right now. Radioactivity and Trans Europe Express were easier for me to enjoy straightaway, but Autobahn keeps growing on me. Pretty amazing stuff, especially when you consider the time (70’s) when these were made. Gotta give it up to the krauts....well done!
post #792 of 796 Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post

Queen - The Game (promo copy). I've heard these songs throughout my life on CD and was taken back by how much more natural Brian May's guitar and all of their vocals sound on this copy. Bass is less pronounced (artificially pumped up) as compared to the CD.

This is one of my favorites.
I a vinyl copy as well, but not a promo copy.... it was a re-issue.
Draden1 likes this.
post #793 of 796 Old 10-08-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For anyone that has heard the new album by Wilco - Ode To Joy, please chime in on your thoughts. It seems to be a mixed bag so far from regular listeners, there’s a thread on Steve Hoffman Forums I’ve been reading.

@thrillcat , what say you about the album and the sound quality of the vinyl?
post #794 of 796 Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not had a chance to give it a true listen. I played it through once at work via Apple Music and immediately realized that this is one that will require full attention.

Vinyl ore-order didn’t arrive until Saturday, and we had already left to drive up to Mpls for a Ghost show, Sunday was buying new suits, and just haven’t had a chance.

I’ve read great reviews. We will have to see. I’ve not even bought their previous two albums on vinyl, as they have been going a different direction. Much more Sonic Youth/Loose Fur in style.

post #795 of 796 Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I have not had a chance to give it a true listen. I played it through once at work via Apple Music and immediately realized that this is one that will require full attention.

Vinyl ore-order didn’t arrive until Saturday, and we had already left to drive up to Mpls for a Ghost show, Sunday was buying new suits, and just haven’t had a chance.

I’ve read great reviews. We will have to see. I’ve not even bought their previous two albums on vinyl, as they have been going a different direction. Much more Sonic Youth/Loose Fur in style.

When you do get a chance to listen, let us know, I’m interested. Thanks
post #796 of 796 Old 10-19-2019, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Vinyl Cup had a really nice $2 sale today, probably a couple thousand records to sift through. I didn’t go through everything but did leave with 9 records. Each record I bought was in very good shape, numerous promo copies so I was happy with what I found.

The sale is also running tomorrow but I think the sale stuff will be $1. Worth a look if you need something to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page