Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes

post #811 of 812 Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I’ve never been impressed with the Fetus but agree that dsm shops are all either overpriced, have a crummy selection or are crappy condition.

I used to have a CD box set of Costello and Nieve playing acoustic. I should try to track that down again.
That would be interesting to hear, I am guessing I’d enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Finally got a chance to listen to Tool's latest all the way through. Fear Inoculum is pretty good but I can't see myself getting into it to play it over and over.

Went to Arlington the first weekend of November to get some one on one time with Polk's newest flagship speaker, the L800s. And while they are some of the best stereo speakers I have heard from Polk Audio, the primary purpose for checking them out, SDA or Stereo Dimensional Array (also known as inter-aural crosstalk cancellation) felt very gimmicky in that on some tracks, instead of making the presentation more realistic, it made it less so.
Prime example is the song "Draw Your Swords" by Angus Stone...the piano is supposed to be firmly planted high left on the sound stage. But with the SDA cable plugged in, the piano was actually behind you on the left...and that just ain't right.

Another song, "Summer Girl" by Haim has some nice drum effects that have the drums almost moving in a figure 8 pattern in front of you as the song plays but again, with the L800s and the SDA cable plugged in, the drums floated around you. I mean, yeah...cool...sort of surrealistic but not the effect that SDA is supposed to present.

I did get to spend some time with the biggest bookie in the Legend line, the L200s at my own place and I wrote up the following on the Polk forum to share my impressions...
I listened to a couple of tracks from Tool’s new album too, it’s not bad but I am not enough of a fan to pay the $50 price tag for the CD (no word on vinyl). As for the Polk SDA thing, never heard of it but making things sound less natural is quite the opposite of an enjoyable listening experience, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 812 Old 11-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I’️ve never been impressed with the Fetus but agree that dsm shops are all either overpriced, have a crummy selection or are crappy condition.

I used to have a CD box set of Costello and Nieve playing acoustic. I should try to track that down again.
That would be interesting to hear, I am guessing I’️d enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Finally got a chance to listen to Tool's latest all the way through. Fear Inoculum is pretty good but I can't see myself getting into it to play it over and over.

Went to Arlington the first weekend of November to get some one on one time with Polk's newest flagship speaker, the L800s. And while they are some of the best stereo speakers I have heard from Polk Audio, the primary purpose for checking them out, SDA or Stereo Dimensional Array (also known as inter-aural crosstalk cancellation) felt very gimmicky in that on some tracks, instead of making the presentation more realistic, it made it less so.
Prime example is the song "Draw Your Swords" by Angus Stone...the piano is supposed to be firmly planted high left on the sound stage. But with the SDA cable plugged in, the piano was actually behind you on the left...and that just ain't right.

Another song, "Summer Girl" by Haim has some nice drum effects that have the drums almost moving in a figure 8 pattern in front of you as the song plays but again, with the L800s and the SDA cable plugged in, the drums floated around you. I mean, yeah...cool...sort of surrealistic but not the effect that SDA is supposed to present.

I did get to spend some time with the biggest bookie in the Legend line, the L200s at my own place and I wrote up the following on the Polk forum to share my impressions...
I listened to a couple of tracks from Tool’️s new album too, it’️s not bad but I am not enough of a fan to pay the $50 price tag for the CD (no word on vinyl). As for the Polk SDA thing, never heard of it but making things sound less natural is quite the opposite of an enjoyable listening experience, lol.
The original SDAs actually work amazingly well. I had a pair in 2015 when we had the crawl and while they were in a terrible room and still made it feel like a concert hall in spaciousness.
This new iteration has been distilled not from their original design goals but from the recent sound bar implementations they have been doing and that was designed to provide a full surround experience from a sound bar...

Seeing how complex the crossovers are in this version compared to the previous is also telling. Like they built in a passive processing of the signal versus the original which only had a circuit for the dimensional drivers to play a small portion of the frequency range from the opposite side’s signal.
They had one model where they used a broader portion of that frequency range and add a tweeter to the mid-woofer in the dimensional array.
That particular iteration was considered the worst of the original series.
That same speaker with the dimensional tweeter disconnected though was actually very good.

I really wish I still had the 2.3TLs that I completely overhauled/refurbed. They could throw an amazing soundstage one tracks that were normally pretty condensed in that regard.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page