Des Moines area turntable listening session - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #841 of 855 Old 03-17-2020, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
I would enjoy it if someone could let me hear those differences on their system and or point them out to me with the different cables and such so I can experience this for myself.
Best place to try it is your own system. You’re more familiar with the sound in your space than anyone so any difference to be heard, or not heard, would be noticed. This stuff is subtle, so if you don’t listen critically already, or even have a centered seat to maximize imaging, you may not notice anything.

The gear used makes a difference too, some is more adept at letting these differences through, especially amps. I always felt my Emotiva was well suited for critical 2 channel, it’s fine. I enjoyed music with it but when I got a different stereo amp, I didn’t realize what I was missing. Two things were immediately apparent, vocals sounded more in the room and pianos were sweeter, easier to hear the different keys. This made me a believer in better gear, and once I felt good with my gear in the stereo chain, I decided to get into cables. Now the subtleties that different cables bring was more easily brought to the front. That’s my experience anyways.

Only way to tell if they do anything for you is to try them in your own space. Most, if not all cable manufacturers I looked at offer an in home trial of 30 - 60 days. I would have no desire to swap out cables as to do a demo, limited space in my gear closet makes this a big pita.

Last edited by Draden1; 03-17-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 855 Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I’m not sure I quite have the gear to test these differences so being shown on someone else’s system is what i was imagining. But I get what you’re saying.

7.1.4 system:
JVC NX7 / 120" Seymour Screen | Marantz SR7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Roomie Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #843 of 855 Old 03-17-2020, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post
Well I’m not sure I quite have the gear to test these differences so being shown on someone else’s system is what i was imagining. But I get what you’re saying.
But there’s the rub, I can only speak to my experiences with my setup. I can’t definitively say what different cables would do in your current system. Only way to know is to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 855 Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post

It would be fun to do an in depth test to see where my ears cant hear vs others.
Yeah a meetup to see what people can hear or cant would be interesting, sort of a way to help others train their ears so to speak to listen more critically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
Best place to try it is your own system. You’re more familiar with the sound in your space than anyone so any difference to be heard, or not heard, would be noticed. This stuff is subtle, so if you don’t listen critically already, or even have a centered seat to maximize imaging, you may not notice anything.

The gear used makes a difference too, some is more adept at letting these differences through, especially amps. I always felt my Emotiva was well suited for critical 2 channel, it’s fine. I enjoyed music with it but when I got a different stereo amp, I didn’t realize what I was missing. Two things were immediately apparent, vocals sounded more in the room and pianos were sweeter, easier to hear the different keys. This made me a believer in better gear, and once I felt good with my gear in the stereo chain, I decided to get into cables. Now the subtleties that different cables bring was more easily brought to the front. That’s my experience anyways.

Only way to tell if they do anything for you is to try them in your own space. Most, if not all cable manufacturers I looked at offer an in home trial of 30 - 60 days. I would have no desire to swap out cables as to do a demo, limited space in my gear closet makes this a big pita.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
But there’s the rub, I can only speak to my experiences with my setup. I can’t definitively say what different cables would do in your current system. Only way to know is to try.
I do agree, with different rooms, gear, source material, and ones own ears its sure to be different and everyone's mileage may vary which is to be expected but like you said once you realized what you were missing you became a believer. For myself i cant get that obviously unless i go out and spend money to do the experiment and for me usually I like to experience some of these things at shows, gatherings, meetups or whatever have you and that is usually what does it for me to start spending some money. Many of us here have already done these types of experiments and upgrades and have heard the differences in our own systems but for others i thought it would be a neat idea of a small meetup to say here's the difference i heard going from this to this, can you also hear it or try and point that stuff out if its not immediately apparent. But i understand something like that kind of demo or meetup isn't always feasible to do in our homes as lack of space, time or any other factors at hand.

As an example sometimes i've needed things pointed out to me by someone else for some small detail in a photo or a room with a design and then once it gets pointed out to me i can always see it, granted this is more of a visual example than an auditory example but the same principal applies. Its enjoyable to learn something new you might not have noticed before which might not always be apparent unless it gets pointed out. Also, personally and overall, i enjoy just listening to other peoples gear as it exposes me to new music, different environments, sounds, and gathers inspiration in different ways.

This weekend i plan to go grab some homemade speaker cables to test in my own system as well as a friends system who made said cables so ill be curious if i can hear the difference in both his system and mine.

7.1.4 system:
JVC NX7 / 120" Seymour Screen | Marantz SR7011 | Emotiva XPA 3 Gen 3 | Nvidia Shield | OPPO BDP 203 UHD | Tivo Roamio OTA | Roomie Remote | 4x B&W 600 series surrounds | 4x Definitive Technology AW 6500 Atmos | B&W 700 Series Front LCR | Rythmik FV15 | Insteon Automation | Philips Hue accent lighting
post #845 of 855 Old 03-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Well the Nordost cables are on their way to MA to get re-terminated.

The Wireworld Luna 7 cables showed up a bit ago but I am currently up to my neck in work stuff (working for HHS/CMS during a pandemic is FUN!) so it may be tonight or tomorrow before I get the new speakers set up.

The whole cable debate is pretty divisive.
My view of it is that everyone hears what they hear and it isn't my job to convince them whether or not cables make a difference.
*I* have experienced distinct differences on my own gear with various cables (and contrary to what the critics of the cable difference debate state, I have had cheap cables sound better than expensive cables and vice versa). So I continue to try and eek out every single cost effective improvement to my listening environment.

What it boils down to in the end is if it makes you happy and gives you what *you* want, that's ultimately all that matters regardless of what anyone else says.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #846 of 855 Old 03-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
What it boils down to in the end is if it makes you happy and gives you what *you* want, that's ultimately all that matters regardless of what anyone else says.
Absolutely, i agree! I would never put anyone down for something they can experience that i cant or vise versa.

7.1.4 system:
post #847 of 855 Old 03-20-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I dis-agree... its about having the absolutely best measuring experience! =P

Its all about horsepower.....
post #848 of 855 Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I hate you, Neil.

🤨😂
theblackangus likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #849 of 855 Old 03-22-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quarantine Discovery #774

One of my favorite bands of all-time has 75% reunited and is making new music.

3 of 4 (Roger Manning, Eric Dover, Tim Smith) members of Jellyfish are now together as The Lickerish Quartet.

I’m guessing there’s a 4th playing drums to fill out the quartet.

FYI Manning was Beck’s musical director for years. Dover played guitar and sang for Slash’s Snakepit and more. Smith played bass and guitar in Sheryl Crow’s band. They haven’t been working at Starbuck’s through these years.

Not vinyl, but it’s great.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/lig...5?i=1499919226
Draden1 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #850 of 855 Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hate you, Neil.

🤨😂

You want to say no to both..... but you want to say yes to both......
post #851 of 855 Old 03-22-2020, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Quarantine Discovery #774
Nice, with all this time on my hands I’m planning to have some quarantine discoveries as well. Meaning, I am going to dive in on some bands I haven’t been able to. Any ideas on where to start on some of these, or just start at the beginning?

Kinks
Love
Robin Trower
post #852 of 855 Old 05-03-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found something I like from an un-expected source.

I was watching the Netflix Steve Martin/Martin Short comedy show and Steve Martin had a band on he plays with - The Steep Canyon Rangers.

Haven't ever listened to alot of Blue Grass but I really liked this bands lively and fun music.
Going to pick up a few CD's.

Theater: 2x JTR 215 RT's, 1x 215 RM, 10x JTR S8's, 2x UXL-18 GSG Full Martys, Onkyo NR3002, D-Sonic 7 Channel, 3x Inuke 6000DSPs, Oppo-203, HTPC, Roku Ultra, Harmony Elite, JVC NX-7
Second System: Philharmonitors AA, UXL-18 Mini-Marty, Denon X1300, Sony X700 UHD Player, Harmony, Vizio P65-E (This setup to be upgraded this year)
post #853 of 855 Old 05-03-2020, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice, I’m not a bluegrass guy but thanks for sharing. With the weather being so nice I haven’t been listening too much. The little I have been doing is trying to get better (to me) copies of certain albums.

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century, I have a Mobile Fidelity (Mofi) copy from the late 70’s which plays great. There is a Speakers Corner (SC) reissue from ‘99 folks say is the definitive version, so I got one recently from a guy overseas. The SC bass and treble is more balanced than the Mofi, making it overall a more enjoyable listen. The early Mofi (70’s-80’s) pressings were known for their smiley face eq, meaning tipped up bass/treble with some of the midrange being sucked out. It doesn’t make the Mofi a bad listen, far from it, but compared to my new copy, I prefer the balance of the SC.

Rush - Permanent Waves, I only have this on CD. There is a Mofi from ‘08 that is supposed to be excellent, but used prices are high and it doesn’t come up for sale very often. At the end of the month there is a 40th anniversary edition being released which contains the remastered album from 2015 along with a 2 LP live set from this tour. The tracklist from the live set is excellent and these are previously unreleased versions, I will probably pick that up.

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow, 45 rpm 2 LP Analogue Productions copy is amazing! The original is good but this simply has more of everything. I have an original Wired as well but will upgrade it to the AP version after hearing BBB.

Hope everyone is doing well!
post #854 of 855 Old 05-03-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I saw on Facebook that Marv's is going to have to find a new location, they didn't specifically point to financial problems brought on by the current situation, but I wouldn't doubt it. Their landlord is likely not a record collector.

I also saw on the Book of Face that ZZZ is selling a few titles on their website, so I picked up a few the other day...

Alabama 3 - La Peste. This album contains the theme song from the Sopranos. The band now goes by A3 because people kept confusing them with Alabama's third album. They don't sound similar at all. I've always loved this band and their quirky, dark mix of indie rock and electronica. My old band played some stuff like this, too. We called it Rocktronica. This is probably their best album, and this is a good pressing. The only dud is their horrible cover of Hotel California.

Moby - More Fas Songs About [I can't remember and I don't feel like standing up to go look]. I got it because it was Moby and I've always liked some of his stuff. It's okay. I'll listen more closely at some point.

Snow Patrol - I don't remember. I picked this up because I like Snow Patrol, didn't look closely because it's actually an 8" single. Haven't listened.

The A3 album was on my list, so I'm pleased about that, and I'm glad I was able to help Nate out even just a little bit. He's a nice guy and I want to see him succeed.

I've also placed a few orders off Amazon and Discogs lately.

John Mayer Trio - Try. This is just a fantastic album that showcases his talent as a guitarist. And a great pressing.

John Mayer - The Search for Everything. Fantastic album. Emoji of a Wave is worth it on it's own, but this whole thing is great. It's somewhat of a slight return to his older, poppier songs, but with much better songwriting and guitar playing on display. Top Notch recording as well.

Nat Turner Rebellion - Laugh to Keep From Crying. Great Philadelphia Soul album from the early 70s, this is a 180g remaster pressing that sounds fantastic. This is one of several I picked up on the recommendation of Marc Maron. If you're on Instagram, he plays a lot of vinyl, has a Macintosh setup, and he has really good taste in music. I've bought several items that I first heard a short clip on his Instagram.

Atlanta Rhythm Section - Underdog. I've always been a huge ARS fan since I was a little kid. I already had the vast majority of their catalog, but for whatever reason I never had this one, which has Spooky on it, a great song.

Johnny Smith & Stan Getz. I've never seen a thinner record that didn't come stapled into a magazine. This is a set of 2 discs and is still thinner than most single albums, yet it still sounds fantastic.

Rod Stewart and Faces - Coast to Coast Overture and Beginners. Nice live 2-disc set. Picked it up on the same order as the John Mayer Trio because he was offering up to 5 items with free shipping. This was a $4 pickup and well worth double that. I like Faces, and I like the Rod Stewart era, so it was a no brainer for $4.

Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks. I'm still waiting anxiously for this 4LP set to arrive. I love this show, and came across a decently priced copy on Discogs so I snatched it up. This is the best era of DMB, in my opinion. Still the original lineup, Dave still hadn't picked up an electric guitar, and just a magical show at the magical Red Rocks Amphitheater. Hoping it shows up this week.

I'm going to burn these tubes out listening 9+ hours a day while working from home. I've been spinning a lot of vinyl these days.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #855 of 855 Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You're going to love the quality of that DMB - Live at Red Rocks, it sounds excellent. If you really dig Faces there's a 5 LP box set from 2015 that has all 4 Rod albums along with a singles/b sides record. They were all analog remastered by Kevin Gray and are superb! Not sure if you can still find it retail anywhere, the page info is below.
https://www.discogs.com/Faces-1970-1...elease/7427638

I may give that John Mayer Trio album a listen as it's my favorite part of that Where The Light Is concert.

Have you ever gotten into Tower Of Power? I can't remember if we've ever talked about this or not? In the last 6 months or so I've been getting into some of their stuff, I can't believe I never knew about them. I have 2 of their albums from the mid 70's, Urban Renewal and Back to Oakland. Easy recommendations if you're not familiar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page