Des Moines area turntable listening session - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #1 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Des Moines area turntable listening session

I will keep this post updated with pics, gear, music lists, misc.

Gear: Thrillcat - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable with Hana EL cartridge, Cambridge 651P phonostage, Def Tech BP20 speakers, Jolida JD202BRC integrated amp, Les Paul (gold top)

Dlbeck - VPI Prime Scout turntable, Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, Parasound JC3 Jr phonostage, Parasound Halo Integrated amp, Salk HT2-TL speakers, JTR S1 sub in custom Salk cabinet

Draden1 - GEM Dandy Polytable Super 12 turntable, Hana SL cartridge, Parasound JC3+ phonostage, Benchmark AHB2 amp, Emotiva XMC-1 processor, Triad Silver Monitor speakers, SVS PB13 Ultra sub (sealed for music)

Zltful - Kenwood KD550 turntable, ClearAudio Concept MC MkII cartridge, Cambridge 651P phonostage, Silverline Sonatina MkI speakers, Vincent Audio SV236MK Integrated amp/processor, Epik Legend sub

Zltful (2) - Cambridge DVD89 CD player, Usher V-601 speakers, AMC CVT-2030 amp w/JJ EL34 matched quad tubes, Jolida JD50A

Techtvman - Oppo 203, Marantz SR7011 receiver, B&W 600 Series speakers, Rythmik FV15 sub

Theblackangus - JVC AL-F353 turntable, Oppo 203, JTR Noesis 215RT speakers, Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver, D-Sonic M3-5400 amp

Music Lists w/post#: Thrillcat-37, Draden1-46, Dlbeck-84.

Pics w/post#: Draden1-224, Dlbeck-226, Zltful-231, Thrillcat-346/510, theblackangus-408

Last edited by Draden1; 02-13-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Count me in either way!
post #3 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Count me in, and as I posted on the other thread,

I could also bring my preamp and we could still swap pretty easily (or as you say, connect multiple at a time).

I was also thinking perhaps I would bring my laptop with Logic Pro and my USB DAC and we could hook it up to an output of your XMC-1 and record the same song from each turntable and compare the resulting files...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Count me in, and as I posted on the other thread,

I could also bring my preamp and we could still swap pretty easily (or as you say, connect multiple at a time).

I was also thinking perhaps I would bring my laptop with Logic Pro and my USB DAC and we could hook it up to an output of your XMC-1 and record the same song from each turntable and compare the resulting files...
If you bring your preamp that would be great as we could have my table, your table, and dlbeck’s table plugged in at the same time. We would be a preamp short if theblackangus brings his table as it does not have a built in one like dlbeck’s, and I am pretty sure he does not have a standalone one.

As for the files, if you guys want to do that, that’s fine. I wouldn’t know what the hell we’d be looking at though?
post #6 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post
If you bring your preamp that would be great as we could have my table, your table, and dlbeck’s table plugged in at the same time. We would be a preamp short if theblackangus brings his table as it does not have a built in one like dlbeck’s, and I am pretty sure he does not have a standalone one.

As for the files, if you guys want to do that, that’s fine. I wouldn’t know what the hell we’d be looking at though?

I’m sure I can find a spectrum analysis plugin so we can compare bass response, balance, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #7 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m sure I can find a spectrum analysis plugin so we can compare bass response, balance, etc.

I like the file comparison idea!
post #8 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I love it when you talk dirty!
post #9 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love it when you talk dirty!

Nothing better than a big, fat bottom.

post #10 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nothing better than a big, fat bottom.

Ah yes, like mopeds, fun to ride but you don’t want your friends to see you on one.
thrillcat likes this.
post #11 of 784 Old 04-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Hmmm...my Kenwood KD550 has been itching to get some play time with the new ClearAudio cartridge...

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #12 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Hmmm...my Kenwood KD550 has been itching to get some play time with the new ClearAudio cartridge...
That'd be great, I'd say between yours and @theblackangus we only use one as space is very limited, you guys discuss how you want to figure that out.

Do you know what the exact model your cartridge is?
post #13 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm going to update the first post with the gear so please respond.

@thrillcat - Could you please post model names for your turntable, cartridge, and phono preamp?

@dlbeck - I know your table and it has its own preamp, I'm assuming it has the stock cartridge? If it's green that's the AT95e.

@theblackangus / @ZLTFUL - After deciding who's bringing one, please post the table, cartridge, and phono preamp. Actually, the preamp would be
optional as thrillcat said other tables could use his.

Last edited by Draden1; 04-30-2018 at 07:36 AM.
post #14 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pro-Ject RM 1.3 Turntable
Sumiko Pearl Cartridge
Pro-Ject Phono Box MM preamp
Draden1 likes this.

post #15 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@thrillcat - Could you please post model names for your turntable, cartridge, and phone preamp?

@dlbeck - I know your table and it has its own preamp, I'm assuming it has the stock cartridge? If it's green that's the AT95e.

@theblackangus / @ZLTFUL - After deciding who's bringing one, please post the table, cartridge, and phono preamp. Actually, the preamp would be
Ill skip and let ZLTFUL bring his. Mine is likely the oldest by far.
post #16 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Ill skip and let ZLTFUL bring his. Mine is likely the oldest by far.
That settles that, thank you good sir. @ZLTFUL , you're on man!
post #17 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@thrillcat - Could you please post model names for your turntable, cartridge, and phone preamp?

I upgraded my cartridge...will have to check and let you know.
Draden1 likes this.
post #18 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First post is updated, we could still technically do a blind test if people don't look at what table is running. I may be able to hook everything up around the corner so the main room can't see what's happening. We'll have to see once we get everything down there.

Looking forward to it!
post #19 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

If we are going to do blind... I think it would also be interesting to throw in digital copies of the same recordings with the turntables and see if we collectively have a preference?
Also like Thrillcats idea of recording the outputs.
post #20 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Table: Kenwood KD-550 with a Herbie's Mat and Audio Technica AT-618 Record Weight
Cartridge: ClearAudio Concept MM (I am 95% sure it is the V2)
Pre: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P
Draden1 likes this.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
The Blank Slate Cinema/MacGillvray Pub Build Thread
post #21 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
If we are going to do blind... I think it would also be interesting to throw in digital copies of the same recordings with the turntables and see if we collectively have a preference?
Also like Thrillcats idea of recording the outputs.
So listen to the same song on each table and then a digital copy as well? That could be interesting but get ready to be sick of certain songs after hearing them 5 times in a row, lol.

- If we try to do that they should be short songs ~3 minutes.
- I'd prefer the digital versions to be on cd, far faster/easier to drop in a disc than connecting someone's phone to my network.
- I'll work on coming up with a list of 5 songs (maybe 4) that we could listen to.

If we plan on taking 3-4 hours for this we could compare 5 songs, talk about everything, and then take song requests/hang out for a while. I'm assuming if people are willing to bring their tables to my place that 3-4 hours is reasonable?

Last edited by Draden1; 04-30-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #22 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Table: Kenwood KD-550 with a Herbie's Mat and Audio Technica AT-618 Record Weight
Cartridge: ClearAudio Concept MM (I am 95% sure it is the V2)
Pre: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P
Cool, are you planning on bringing your preamp? It's no problem if you do, just let me know.
post #23 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So listen to the same song on each table and then a digital copy as well? That could be interesting but get ready to be sick of certain songs after hearing them 5 times in a row, lol.

- If we try to do that they should be short songs ~3 minutes.
- I'd prefer the digital versions to be on cd, far faster/easier to drop in a disc than connecting someone's phone to my network.
- I'll work on coming up with a list of 5 songs (maybe 4) that we could listen to.

If we plan on taking 3-4 hours for this we could compare 5 songs, talk about everything, and then take song requests/hang out for a while. I'm assuming if people are willing to bring their tables to my place that 3-4 hours is reasonable?
Yeah I would prefer CD or make the vinyl list and then rip to FLAC and play from your NAS or something.
Mix up the song play order for each song so the are not all played on the same device each time.

For music I propose:
- Something acoustic
- Something vocal
- Something rock
- Something jazz
- Something with some piano
post #24 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As for recording, I was thinking more along the lines of choosing one song that is a good "tester" and play it on each table, recording the output of each, and ripping the CD version as well, and then dumping the 4 files into some sort of frequency spectrum analysis tool to examine differences. I wasn't thinking of listening to the digital version as well...

Regardless, though, I'd only suggest doing this on one, maybe two, songs. I'm also not opposed to doing this test on portions of songs, either. Say a minute of Aja and a minute of Even Flow or something...

I'm more interested in listening to some good tunes via different tables, not so much constant repetition for hours.

post #25 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
As for recording, I was thinking more along the lines of choosing one song that is a good "tester" and play it on each table, recording the output of each, and ripping the CD version as well, and then dumping the 4 files into some sort of frequency spectrum analysis tool to examine differences. I wasn't thinking of listening to the digital version as well...

Regardless, though, I'd only suggest doing this on one, maybe two, songs. I'm also not opposed to doing this test on portions of songs, either. Say a minute of Aja and a minute of Even Flow or something...

I'm more interested in listening to some good tunes via different tables, not so much constant repetition for hours.
Troof!
post #26 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have Spanish Harlem performed by Rebecca Pidgeon on vinyl along with hirez digital. With the smooth vocals and the underlying bass progression I think this should be one of the tracks.
post #27 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm good for whatever, I also don't want to spend over an hour on the comparing part =)

Yeah doing a few of partials would be good. Don't need 3-5 minutes of each song.

I would like to do a comparison of digital vs vinyl on the same song tho to see if there is much, if any, difference.
Definitely not taking time to do the full spectrum analysis on each song, but a single song from each player would be pretty interesting.

Point above, I would like to get a wide range of instruments in the comparison music we choose and not just rock.
post #28 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
I have Spanish Harlem performed by Rebecca Pidgeon on vinyl along with hirez digital. With the smooth vocals and the underlying bass progression I think this should be one of the tracks.
I have that track in the hires format also, the mastering on that is fantastic! Would love to hear it on vinyl, curious what album/pressing it is?
post #29 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
That sounds like a good track to add.
Just listened to it and yeah - great vocals and nice bass.
post #30 of 784 Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, with how quick this was put together and me basically talking out loud through these posts, this is the deal.

First hour or so we could do some comparisons to get our nerdom satisfied. After that the request lines will be open, we will have 4 tables so they should make for a great time!

From here until the event let’s talk music, pressings (they do matter), turntables, carts, preamps, amps, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page