post #31 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Thanks, appreciate the offer, but I'll pass. I have been in the HT rooms the last several years. Not pleasant, IMO. Not that they aren't fine affable fellows, but its a paradigm that gets as far as possible from anything I'm interested in. Even met Mark Seaton's dad last year. Great guy. And yes, I'll have a USB drive and my phone ready to go with Tidal so I'll be equipped.

Not a problem. Enjoy the show and if curiosity gets the better of you, just tell Jeff or Michael you are the audiophile guy that SOWK talked too and im sure we will get a few 2 channel only listening tests in at more realistic volumes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 03-27-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4095 Post(s)
Liked: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Not a problem. Enjoy the show and if curiosity gets the better of you, just tell Jeff or Michael you are the audiophile guy that SOWK (Tony) talked too and im sure we will get a few 2 channel only listening tests in at more realistic volumes.

Thanks, but I'll pass. It's simply irreconcilable differences. It's NOT for me. Enjoy your show.
post #33 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Dang....wished I was able to go to AXPONA this year since I've never been. Work and busy weekend is keeping me from going and I was offered a ride with a buddy who will be there. Hopefully he will take LOTS of pics and post them here as well. We should have a thread with pics of AXPONA each year...like an gallery of some sort.

@Scotth3886 I'm not sure what the issue of yours is....is it because speakers are playing too loud for your taste? Or do you just not like HT setups in general? What if JTR allow you to control the master volume to your taste.....will you have an open mind then?

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
@Scotth3886 I'm not sure what the issue of yours is....is it because speakers are playing too loud for your taste? Or do you just not like HT setups in general? What if JTR allow you to control the master volume to your taste.....will you have an open mind then?

It's a dead issue. Lets just focus on the event and what the Home Theater Meet group wants to do and see while there.
imagic and Scotth3886 like this.

SOWK Home Theater
post #35 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dang....wished I was able to go to AXPONA this year since I've never been. Work and busy weekend is keeping me from going and I was offered a ride with a buddy who will be there. Hopefully he will take LOTS of pics and post them here as well. We should have a thread with pics of AXPONA each year...like an gallery of some sort.

No.

You sorta remind me of some of the the bois at our local Saturday morning Cars and Coffee trying to sell me on the attributes of a ricer Pooparu or Civic. There are just certain things in life that ain't gonna happen. Big giant boxes with huge woofers woofing and compression driver / horns blaring at me are one of them. Why do you feel the need to sell me? Why can't you (and a few others) just be happy enjoying what you enjoy and I'll enjoy what I enjoy?

"We should have a thread with pics of AXPONA each year"

I've done show reviews with plenty of pics of the last four years' AXPONA.
imagic likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-27-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #36 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5669 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:
Why can't you (and a few others) just be happy enjoying what you enjoy and I'll enjoy what I enjoy?
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you enjoy? I just would enjoy a frame of reference here, no harm meant.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #37 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No.

You sorta remind me of some of the the bois at our local Saturday morning Cars and Coffee trying to sell me on the attributes of a ricer Pooparu or Civic. There are just certain things in life that ain't gonna happen. Big giant boxes with huge woofers woofing and compression driver / horns blaring at me are one of them. Why do you feel the need to sell me? Why can't you (and a few others) just be happy enjoying what you enjoy and I'll enjoy what I enjoy?

"We should have a thread with pics of AXPONA each year"

I've done a show review with plenty of pics of the last four years
I'm not trying to sell you anything. I personally have not heard jtr speakers myself either but have heard good things about them, but I have heard the JTR subwoofers. But you made it clear you are not a fan of the look by calling them giant boxes so that alone could just turn you away which I perfectly understand. But I was just asking from a sound perspective not just from jtr but you mentioned other PA speakers as well. What really caught my attention is you say you always walk away from HT setups and even commercial theaters....you didn't make it clear if it was just because of loudness issue or if they didn't sound clear to you. I was just curious from your end that's all.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #38 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

I think most audiophiles like similar aspects of a good audio system:

holographic imaging

bass that is fast and accurate with no muddiness and bloat ("I believe the foundation of music is bass. Without bass, we don't have music."--Richard Vandersteen)

silky highs

effortless sound

resolving sound while not being too analytical

recreating instruments and vocals with an ability to transport you to the setting the performance was preformed in.

etc...
Scotth3886 likes this.

SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 03-27-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #39 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you enjoy? I just would enjoy a frame of reference here, no harm meant.

Everything else at this ostensibly high-end audio (show-off) show aside from the HT and pro-audio oriented products. That's for you guys to cover in the show report.
post #40 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

holographic imaging

bass that is fast and accurate with no muddiness and bloat ("I believe the foundation of music is bass. Without bass, we don't have music."--Richard Vandersteen)

silky highs

effortless sound

resolving sound while not being to analytical

recreating instruments and vocals with an ability to transport you to the setting the performance was preformed in.

etc...
There you go !!!

"holographic imaging"

This is a major one and to be able to do it with just two properly positioned speakers. As Keven Voecks so correctly describes it "catnip for audiophiles".

Never ever a physical center. Can do much better without it.
post #41 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Everything else at this ostensibly high-end audio (show-off) show aside from the HT and pro-audio oriented products. That's for you guys to cover in the show report.
So what do you run in your own setup? Got a pic or anything? I can't gather much from your avatar pic...

post #42 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Quote:
So what do you run in your own setup? Got a pic or anything? I can't gather much from your avatar pic...

Looks like electrostatic hybrid Martin Logan's and a really nice Vinyl setup of course.

SOWK Home Theater
post #43 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

holographic imaging

silky highs

effortless sound

resolving sound while not being too analytical

etc...
I get all that with my HT setup! lol

Quote:
There you go !!!

"holographic imaging"

This is a major one and to be able to do it with just two properly positioned speakers. As Keven Voecks so correctly describes it "catnip for audiophiles".

Never ever a physical center. Can do much better without it.
I listen to music in 2 ch mode only also....and I think most people do too! Having a center has its benefits for movies since that is where most of dialog comes from. But it looks like you are most of music guy vs movies.

Last edited by ereed; 03-27-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #44 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to sell you anything. I personally have not heard jtr speakers myself either but have heard good things about them, but I have heard the JTR subwoofers. But you made it clear you are not a fan of the look by calling them giant boxes so that alone could just turn you away which I perfectly understand. But I was just asking from a sound perspective not just from jtr but you mentioned other PA speakers as well. What really caught my attention is you say you always walk away from HT setups and even commercial theaters....you didn't make it clear if it was just because of loudness issue or if they didn't sound clear to you. I was just curious from your end that's all.

My orientation comes from the hundreds of unamplified concerts I've attended in my life starting in 1947 when my grandfather started taking this snot-faced little punk (me) at the age of three to live big band as sometimes my grandmother didn't want to go as she felt that it was too loud given where my grandfather wanted to sit. All the big bands had table setup up front where you could buy their albums so my grandfather would buy a few and send me, this little pint sized little loud mouth punk, up into the orchestra at intermission to get autographs. We also saw some live jazz and my dad was into bluegrass so some of that too. I played alto and tenor sax and used the school's bari sax.

C-Bus had a pretty chitty symphony so I didn't do much of that around here until I had my license in 1960, then I had season tickets to the Cleveland Orchestra and occasionally got to Chicago (think Fritz Reiner), Detroit and Toronto. Well, Detroit during the 60s, I was there anyway at Lapeer and/or Detroit Dragway during the day and cruising Woodward at night so since I was there anyway, worked in the Detroit Symphony several times a season.

I moved to SoCal in 1980 and at one time or another was in most venues locally, but also at Davies Symphony Hall in SF if I was up there and the live performance bar, Yoshi's in Oakland. The friend (and boss at one time) I went with to those events with is flying back here to C-Bus a few days before AXPONA to hang out and listen to music and then he's driving up to AXPONA with me. He's a more extreme audiophile than I am with a system that is in the range of $600k. Tubes and vinyl of course. We're both a fan of dipoles, especially ESLs and planar magnetics, although he has Magico M-Pros right now. I've had mostly ESLs since 1959 starting with ESL-57s with seven or eight pairs of Tympanis thrown in the mix over the years.

So anyway, that's where I'm coming from.
imagic likes this.
post #45 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like electrostatic hybrid Martin Logan's and a really nice Vinyl setup of course.

I'm all budget oriented systems now since I'm 75 and wasted hundreds of thousands of $$$$ or more likely a million or so over the years on high-end audio so now I'm a 'value' buyer. So yes, the cheapest ESL Hybrid that ML makes and vinyl, (20,000+ LPs) but about a year ago, stuck my toe in the water of Tidal. That's enabled me to find even more bazaar off the wall content.

Found out that with careful selection and placement, I still can achieve much of what is truly important to me.

My most budget system ever:

post #46 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get all that with my HT setup! lol

I listen to music in 2 ch mode only also....and I think most people do too! Having a center has its benefits for movies since that is where most of dialog comes from. But it looks like you are most of music guy vs movies.
"I get all that with my HT setup! lol"

Good luck to ya. Whole 'nother' paradigm awaits you.
post #47 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
We will being providing both HT and 2 channel demos. The 2 channel demos will be just the two Noesis 212RT (reference towers) being driven with Digital Amp Company's new Megaschino mono blocks.

The Noesis 212RT are a true 3 way speaker using a coaxial driver loaded on the horn with crossover points of 500hz and 6200hz.
chucky7, SOWK, imagic and 1 others like this.
post #48 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4250
You don't have to use all of the speakers in an HT setup. You can use just two. I use as many speakers as there are tracks on the source. If it's stereo, just the LR... And the subwoofers. Not rocket science. I have an "HT" setup that almost all critical listening is music. Sounds great.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 03-27-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #49 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4250
Scott may not have made it clear, but he won't listen to horn speakers. Period.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #50 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Scott may not have made it clear, but he won't listen to horn speakers. Period.

PERIOD !!!

Thank you.

Although there was one pair by Classic Audio that were pretty good. But at a million bucks, they'd better do something.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-27-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #51 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
OK

NIRVANA C!!!

Be there!

Fri 6:01pm - 6:03pm extreme demo - Then Main GTG after
Sat 6:01pm - 6:03pm extreme demo
Sun 4:01pm - 4:03pm extreme demo

Worst times listed above for pure audiophiles to hear the system...

But the best time for fun seekers and bass lovers!
I was there last year or the year before when Jeff had the 7 215s and he laid on it, tripped the breaker LOL.....super down to earth dude and cool as hell!
post #52 of 165 Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
I was there last year or the year before when Jeff had the 7 215s and he laid on it, tripped the breaker LOL.....super down to earth dude and cool as hell!

And soon to be deaf as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cutler and Scotth3886 like this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #53 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
What's up gents. Just checking in.

What are we doing for food? It's Chiraq after all...Gotta make the best of it. I've heard Moretti's is pretty cool. I recall a friend saying they have a sweet new PA system worth checking out. Right up our alley!
Gorilla83 likes this.
post #54 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
What are we doing for food? It's Chiraq after all...Gotta make the best of it. I've heard Moretti's is pretty cool. I recall a friend saying they have a sweet new PA system worth checking out. Right up our alley!
I was literally going to post the same re: food. Definitely need to think this stuff through

@Mark Seaton - what joints do you recommend that are must visits?

Some ideas:

https://www.travelchannel.com/intere...eat-in-chicago
post #55 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
What's up gents. Just checking in.

The audio oriented group of seven or eight of us went to Moretti"s on Friday night last year. It was fine and sorta within walking distance on the east end of that giant parking lot. It's a good 1/4 mile or maybe a 1/3rd mile.

There's also a Jason's deli in the lot across the freeway where most of the hotels are that's a touch more health foodish.

A PA system at Moretti"s is a negative, but i don't recall one last year in that place
post #56 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM

Going all the way to Chicago for Jason's Deli is also a negative.
Gorilla83 likes this.

post #57 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

More details of the Friday Night JTR GTG

6-8 PM General Get Together and Demos

8-10PM Movie Showing.

SOWK Home Theater
post #58 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Going all the way to Chicago for Jason's Deli is also a negative.
I go to one here in c-bus all too frequently, but health reasons for the salads. There are however, plenty of choices around there. Moretti's is decent though.
post #59 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 636 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 3755
Axpona 2019

Quote:
The audio oriented group
???
Isn’t everyone attending Axpona of their own free volition an audio oriented enthusiast?
imagic likes this.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #60 of 165 Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
???
Isn’t everyone attending Axpona of their own free volition an audio oriented enthusiast?
Unless they are there because they are really into high-end power cords & audiophile fuses, in which case they might just be brainwashed automatons.

NORDOST ODIN SUPREME REFERENCE POWER CORD

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page