Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Do it!
@SOWK did it last year for the WI crew
SOWK likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8735 Post(s)
Liked: 15250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Mark,

I wore that AVS shirt last year that I think could be misinterpreted as AV Science. I didn't get any feedback, negative or otherwise. Is it safe to do this again?

I think it's fairly safe that this says AVS Forum, but the artwork is a bit like AV Science. What do you think?

And it would be just for Friday as I'm going to try to get most of my reviews done before it gets busy, Saturday is way too jammed to do much of this.

I can't use that "old" logo, for the reason you describe, but that shirt is a classic! It pretty clearly says FORUM so I'd think that would avoid confusion.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #93 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
Quote:
I can't use that "old" logo, for the reason you describe, but that shirt is a classic! It pretty clearly says FORUM so I'd think that would avoid confusion.
I think I'm pretty safe because it does clearly says what this site is named, and they, AV Science, are a HT dealer and not a discussion forum. Plus we still have those same colors as part of the AVS Forum trade dress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will be there for all three days and attending both events. Extremely excited!

Jerry
post #95 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Should we do avs name/handle tags again? Might make sense for when we are all stumbling around the conference center to see fellow AVS people. And to alert vendors that "We are one of those guys"

Good idea, let's' do it.

Quote:
Lou's looks amazing.

Uh, let's go ahead and LOCK that in now. We're going to eat ALL the pizza.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #96 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Lou's looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Uh, let's go ahead and LOCK that in now. We're going to eat ALL the pizza.
That is where we got the pizza from for the JTR GTG in our room last year. This is probably where the pizza will come from for Friday night.
Marc Alexander likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #97 of 162 Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I'll be there...see you Friday.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
post #98 of 162 Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5221 Post(s)
Liked: 4751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Groupon Chicago has a deal on Axpona tickets. You can get $7 per day right now compliments of Goldstar?

I bought my two days Fri/Sat for $14.

https://www.groupon.com/browse/chica...o&locale=en_US
The Groupon link seems to be dead but here is the link to the Goldstar event: https://www.goldstar.com/shows/1638211/checkout/new

I will be attending all day Fri & Sat. I attended last year and loved the show. Don't expect CEDIA. This is a 2ch show. You will see tons of tubes and turntables. Also, a fair dose of snake oil (IMO). I'd love to to discuss the Synergistic Research demos with the rest of you.

JTR and Seaton had the only surround demos last year. I don't see Seaton Sound on the exhibitor list this year. Hopefully we see Mark this weekend. Even HSU and SVS were demoing 2ch (2.1 actually).

I agree with Scott regarding the magic of a properly setup 2ch presentation. I heard rooms that blew away anything I experienced at home. I also experienced rooms that were not setup well at all. I left the show ready to add a pair of Magnepan 3.7i until I got home and my wife checked me back to reality. The bottom line was the opportunity to hear almost any speaker you can imagine is worth the price of the trip for me.

I wouldn't mind wearing a nametag. I look forward to meeting many of you in person.
post #99 of 162 Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The Groupon link seems to be dead but here is the link to the Goldstar event: https://www.goldstar.com/shows/1638211/checkout/new

I will be attending all day Fri & Sat. I attended last year and loved the show. Don't expect CEDIA. This is a 2ch show. You will see tons of tubes and turntables. Also, a fair dose of snake oil (IMO). I'd love to to discuss the Synergistic Research demos with the rest of you.

JTR and Seaton had the only surround demos last year. I don't see Seaton Sound on the exhibitor list this year. Hopefully we see Mark this weekend. Even HSU and SVS were demoing 2ch (2.1 actually).

I agree with Scott regarding the magic of a properly setup 2ch presentation. I heard rooms that blew away anything I experienced at home. I also experienced rooms that were not setup well at all. I left the show ready to add a pair of Magnepan 3.7i until I got home and my wife checked me back to reality. The bottom line was the opportunity to hear almost any speaker you can imagine is worth the price of the trip for me.

I wouldn't mind wearing a nametag. I look forward to meeting many of you in person.

"This is a 2ch show. You will see tons of tubes and turntables."

YES !!!!!!!

"I heard rooms that blew away anything I experienced at home. I also experienced rooms that were not setup well at all"

As many know, last year was the first year for the new location, and many folks were having a terrible time with the rooms. Hopefully, this year will be better as I didn't hear much last year that I liked. I was relieved to get home and hear mine again. I know they can do it, but they need way more time with the rooms. This goes especially true for the folks pimpin' the planars. The only MLs that sounded decent were the 13As in the much larger Prosperity room down in the HT side of the show. The other MLs and Magnepans were near disasters in the hotel rooms used as demo rooms. Believe me, what you heard from the Maggie 3.7s at the show was nothing compared to what I've heard these do when properly setup. Most of the rooms were setup to get the maximum number of people in the rooms and that requires big compromises in re proper positioning of speakers. I've offered Dennis Chern to help position the MLs and he says "Scott, we also gotta to be able to get people in the room too" and they're sharing the room with other manufactures that may or may not (usually not) understand what it takes to get the planars positioned properly so big audible compromises.

To me, it's still very well worth while going as it's almost a family reunion of sorts to see everyone I've know for four or five decades in the industry all in one place on the same weekend.
Marc Alexander and Mike_WI like this.
post #100 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
At the airport...chilling in a near empty lounge until my flight is ready.

Man, I hope everyone packed warm. It was 86 degrees in Dallas yesterday. Looks like it will be about 40 when I land. Glad I checked the weather before packing...

Who is taking care of the name tags? I didn't even think to ask about name tags, so I'll be the douschearoo that attempted to self identify... Watch, they won't let me in the doors because my ID doesn't match the ticket...

corradizo likes this.
post #101 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 04:09 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Axpona 2019, April 12-14. Who is going?

http://www.axpona.com/

Edit 4-3-19 —

@Jeff Permanian reached out to me and offered that I extend the invite to those attending to meet up in the JTR Speakers room (Nirvana C ballroom) to chat and meet and greet on Friday night after Axpona’s normal business day has drawn to a close.

At 6:01-6:03 there will be a capability expo of the JTR system at full bore. You'll want to be there to experience this --- potentially with hearing protection. Phenomenal clarity at 130B? - The JTR are just getting warmed up.

Then for the next couple hours - 6-8PM there will be a more reserved volume, free audition session/meet and greet. People can request specific demo material, or listen at their preference. At 8PM a full movie will be played on the JTR 9.8.6 Atmos setup - movie choice to be determined by vote of those present. There are about 25 chairs and plenty of standing room. Alcoholic beverages and food are allowed, but it is BYOB.

Here's is the equipment list for the room:

Source: HTPC running JRiver Media Center

Processor: StormAudio ISP 3d.20 Elite

Main Speakers: 3x Noesis 212RT

Subwoofers: 8x Captivator 2400

Surround speakers: 6x Single 8HT

Overheads: 6x Single 8HT (atmos)

Amplifiers: Digital Amplifier Company MEGAschino MONO, MEGAschino Stereo, Maraschino King 60V, 5-CHerry (prototype)

Projector: JVC DLA-RS4500

Screen: Seymour Screen Excellence TRIM L-150” with Enlightor-Neo fabric

Calibration- High Impact AV

Since I am about 45 minutes away (sans traffic), I am thinking about attending the GTG on Friday evening. Not sure yet.

I assume Axpona admission is not required since this would be after hours?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #102 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can we have a meet on saturday as well ?
post #103 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM

In case you missed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
If interested in the subject a Dirac seminar about the "ins and outs of room correction" will be available for those attending AXPONA 2019,
here the details:
https://live.dirac.com/dirac-at-axpona-2019/

Flavio
post #104 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Hi Guys,

I know that JTR will have their room open Saturday night as well, but after getting the RSVP's settled, I was given the OK to extend an invite for a private event we're having Saturday night.

This is a rare opportunity to experience the Star Wars theater many have seen pictures of on our forum and facebook. The theater is about a 40 min drive northwest from the convention center (Mettawa, IL), I'll have some casual "local" food brought in, and our hosts are providing beverage. You will have to sort transportation (it's well out in the suburbs, not a busy area). Please PM or e-mail me at [email protected] if you want to come check this out. A good group of AVS members will be there to enjoy the theater with and to socialize.

Here are some teaser pics:

The "little" LCR's are Catalyst 12Cs, the guy in this pic is over 6' tall, and the screen is 14' wide:

Hope to see a few of you there.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #105 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 03:36 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Hi Guys,

I know that JTR will have their room open Saturday night as well, but after getting the RSVP's settled, I was given the OK to extend an invite for a private event we're having Saturday night.

This is a rare opportunity to experience the Star Wars theater many have seen pictures of on our forum and facebook. The theater is about a 40 min drive northwest from the convention center (Mettawa, IL), I'll have some casual "local" food brought in, and our hosts are providing beverage. You will have to sort transportation (it's well out in the suburbs, not a busy area). Please PM or e-mail me at [email protected] if you want to come check this out. A good group of AVS members will be there to enjoy the theater with and to socialize.

The "little" LCR's are Catalyst 12Cs, the guy in this pic is over 6' tall, and the screen is 14' wide:

If anyone from out of town needs a ride let me know. I can seat eight in my car, theoretically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #106 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Hmm.
I was planning to leave Sat afternoon, but this is practically on my way home.
Mark Seaton likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #107 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 PM
FOH
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Looking forward to it!
Archaea likes this.
post #108 of 162 Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 PM
FOH
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Lou's looks amazing.
It's the finest pizza I've ever had, and I really don't think it's close.

A few Axponas ago, a few of us from the Seaton crew, plus Jeff P. and others, ended up dining there and it was outstanding!
Good times
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #109 of 162 Old 04-12-2019, 04:55 AM
Mark Henninger

Okay, great, it's showtime. I'm back in Philadelphia, but what I have done is create a homepage post titled "AVS Forum Member Posts from AXPONA 2019"... And my plan is simplicity itself: Take some of the best forum posts coming out of AXPONA and feature them on the homepage. That article will then become the lead for next week's AVS Forum newsletter.

I'll be working through the weekend, so keep 'em coming. Ideally, posts would include a photo as well as accurate product information (spelling and such) and if possible pricing. Absolute requirements for inclusion in the homepage post include the product name, what you listened to, and subjectively what you thought of it.

- Mark
giomania, popalock and llang269 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #110 of 162 Old 04-12-2019, 10:29 AM

I have two extra day passes. PM me if you'd like one.
post #111 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, great, it's showtime. I'm back in Philadelphia, but what I have done is create a homepage post titled "AVS Forum Member Posts from AXPONA 2019"... And my plan is simplicity itself: Take some of the best forum posts coming out of AXPONA and feature them on the homepage. That article will then become the lead for next week's AVS Forum newsletter.

I'll be working through the weekend, so keep 'em coming. Ideally, posts would include a photo as well as accurate product information (spelling and such) and if possible pricing. Absolute requirements for inclusion in the homepage post include the product name, what you listened to, and subjectively what you thought of it.

- Mark

Mark,

I've been posting since I got here in my thread over on the 2-channel forum. I was trying to get around to as many rooms as possible that would be of interest to the subjectivist audiophile who read or hangout in the 2 channel forum. I'll go back for another listen again today and add more impressions. I don't like to post too many listening impressions after getting out of a six-hour drive until I've had a night's rest for me and my hearing.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...na-2019-a.html

All 2 channel though. Parking is so difficult that we'll be heading over early today and I plan to post all day from the show. I don't have much detail because we left C-Bus at 3:00 AM Friday morning so I was pretty tired by the time I got over to the show yesterday. So more pics and mini reviews today.

Show was getting pretty crowded yesterday, more so than last year, so we'll see how many rooms I can get in.
imagic likes this.
post #112 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Btw, thanks for the pizza suggestion. We went to Lou's early last night after the exhibit rooms closed. Good thing we went at 6:00 or so because that place REALLY got crowded later.

Pizza was just great. Great suggestion.
Archaea likes this.
post #113 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- Mark

Is the page up? I'm not seeing it.
post #114 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 AM
Mark Henninger

No, I'm gonna get to it in a bit but yesterday was about other things. I've had a busy week

Anyhow, coffee first & then I'll get something going.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #115 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I'm gonna get to it in a bit but yesterday was about other things. I've had a busy week

Anyhow, coffee first & then I'll get something going.

No hurry. It's very hard to do much from my phone so I've got some editing to do when I get home and on the desktop. I can't do too much more than get some pics up.
post #116 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
No hurry. It's very hard to do much from my phone so I've got some editing to do when I get home and on the desktop. I can't do too much more than get some pics up.
You OK with me using your pics on the homepage? Get me some wild-looking pics of gear and I'll even swap 'em every now and then.

That goes for anyone else who wants to show their photography skills. Plus when you see how I clean the images up (27 years of Photoshop experience!!!) you'll be surprised what I can do with phone pics...

Photo by @Scotth3886

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-13-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #117 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure, I'm OK with it. Please do. I left the big camera in the car because phone cameras are pretty decent these days and I can post the pics immediately. So if you want a really wild pic, how bought this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_133825_1555190744971.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2552518  
imagic likes this.
post #118 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
You OK with me using your pics on the homepage? Get me some wild-looking pics of gear and I'll even swap 'em every now and then.

That goes for anyone else who wants to show their photography skills. Plus when you see how I clean the images up (27 years of Photoshop experience!!!) you'll be surprised what I can do with phone pics...

Photo by @Scotth3886
Mark, how 'bout this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_170321_1555194362824.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2552542  
post #119 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Will be more uploading, about 100 total, but here is the link to my gallery:

https://rynwohld.smugmug.com/Audio/2019-AXPONA/

I was able to attend for about 5 hours today. Just scratched the surface. So much to see and hear. @imagic , feel free to use the pictures wherever.

Here are a few of my favorites, there are too many to post:

oldsteve, imagic and corradizo like this.
post #120 of 162 Old 04-13-2019, 11:49 PM

My photog skills are a bit lacking. But here is a bit of news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Dr. Hsu gave me permission to share this (I'm sorry, but I was not allowed to get better pics). From Axpona, new prototype dual-opposed 15 [sitting next to ULS-15].
imagic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page