Los Angeles Home Theater Group Meet - Page 299 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 680Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8941 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
usc1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
I'm looking to get my projector calibrated in the next month or two any recommendations or tips? I contacted Chad B but he won't be back in California until next year. When I'm watching anything in HDR the picture is way too dark.



It's a JVC DLA-X590R (RS-440).


I’ve seen this guy mentioned a few times and he apparently teaches isf calibration classes so I would suspect he knows what he is doing but I have no experience: http://lionav.com/new/gregg-loewen/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kyzer soze likes this.
usc1995 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8942 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
kyzer soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
You may want to get in touch with @Craig Peer with AVS as I believe he lives in NorCal and may be able to recommend someone here in California to calibrate. Another thought is to check with Mikela or IvanPino to see if they might be able to help you calibrate it with the JVC auto cal software and upload one of the custom gamma curves that Javs or another poster in the 640 thread has created. I think with one of those curves you ought to be able to get 90% of the way there to a good image. It is definitely worth it to pay an expert but from what I have gathered you can do well with uploading one of those custom curves. I wasn’t comfortable enough running the software on my own and I only had to wait two months for ChadB when I got my X550R so I just waited it out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you I will reach out to those guys.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
kyzer soze is offline  
post #8943 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
kyzer soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Thread starter @Rayjr also does calibration.
Thanks Mike i'll send Ray a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
I’ve seen this guy mentioned a few times and he apparently teaches isf calibration classes so I would suspect he knows what he is doing but I have no experience: http://lionav.com/new/gregg-loewen/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll send this guy a message thank you.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
kyzer soze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8944 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I had my TV calibrated by Gregg from Lion ~ 8 or 9 years ago. From the number of phone calls he fielded during my cal, I suspect that he was more interested in running his business than doing the cal

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #8945 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I had my TV calibrated by Gregg from Lion ~ 8 or 9 years ago. From the number of phone calls he fielded during my cal, I suspect that he was more interested in running his business than doing the cal
Professionalism aside, how was the calibration??
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #8946 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I guess it was OK, but I know a little more now.

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #8947 of 9589 Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I have been trying to connect with Ray myself, but that has been a challenge.

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #8948 of 9589 Old 05-13-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
You may want to get in touch with @Craig Peer with AVS as I believe he lives in NorCal and may be able to recommend someone here in California to calibrate. Another thought is to check with Mikela or IvanPino to see if they might be able to help you calibrate it with the JVC auto cal software and upload one of the custom gamma curves that Javs or another poster in the 640 thread has created. I think with one of those curves you ought to be able to get 90% of the way there to a good image. It is definitely worth it to pay an expert but from what I have gathered you can do well with uploading one of those custom curves. I wasn’t comfortable enough running the software on my own and I only had to wait two months for ChadB when I got my X550R so I just waited it out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only Chad B or Jeff at Accucal - who also travels out here. I've used both of them. I don't know of anyone locally.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #8949 of 9589 Old 05-13-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,161
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
I'm looking to get my projector calibrated in the next month or two any recommendations or tips? I contacted Chad B but he won't be back in California until next year. When I'm watching anything in HDR the picture is way too dark.

It's a JVC DLA-X590R (RS-440).
David Abrams of https://www.avical.com/ who did the calibration for Scott Wilkinson and the 2017 LG OLED Podcast.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-av...libration.html
fookoo_2010 is offline  
post #8950 of 9589 Old 05-14-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 1,000
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
David was the one I first wanted. Being unavailable, he suggested that I contact Gregg.

--Carl
calentz is offline  
post #8951 of 9589 Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I may have a candidate to host:
@point1 just installed 3 JTR Captivator 2400ULFs along with JTR speakers in a 9.1.4 layout (Denon X8500H). Dedicated room, converted garage in Norco.

@Jeff Permanian has been talking about coming out for one of our GTGs as well as calibrating @point1 's setup (I feel we have done a serviceable job ourselves ).
I am not sure Jeff Permanian will be able to make it on the 26th. I will confirm shortly. If he is unable to attend we are going to postpone until June.

Marc
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8952 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I may have a candidate to host:
@point1 just installed 3 JTR Captivator 2400ULFs along with JTR speakers in a 9.1.4 layout (Denon X8500H). Dedicated room, converted garage in Norco.

@Jeff Permanian has been talking about coming out for one of our GTGs as well as calibrating @point1 's setup (I feel we have done a serviceable job ourselves ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I am not sure Jeff Permanian will be able to make it on the 26th. I will confirm shortly. If he is unable to attend we are going to postpone until June.

Marc
Jeff Permanian has confirmed so we are proceeding with the May 26 date.

2:00 PM in Norco
I will PM the address to the attendees.

In addition to @point1 's triple 2400ULFs we will also have a Funk 15.h folded horn.

I will ask @chucky7 's about possibly moving his Cap 4000ULF! @climber07 has a PSA S7201 but it is upstairs so we would have to get together at his place.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-16-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8953 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
^ thanks for the organizational effort

the funk folded horn will be something to hear . .

Wil

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #8954 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
LAAVA.org 2018 Spring GTG
5/26/2018 2:00 PM
Norco, CA

Host: Jon M. @point1
9.1.4 dedicated room, Denon X8500H, JTR speakers & three Captivator 2400ULF subs, six cinema seats on platforms (for maximal TR)

Guest equipment: Funk Audio 15.h 2400W folded horn subwoofer (dual 15s), others TBD (Monolith subs, tentative)

Special guests: Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers, others TBD (Monoprice Monolith PM, tentative)

Attendees:
@Marc Alexander
@kyzer soze
@asarose247
@edoggrc51 & Fontana Mike
@RobertR
@Eventually
@Ese
@chucky7
@Jsnow17
@sdurani
@duc135

Jon and I will handle the primary food. We need volunteers to bring snacks, deserts, and beverages.

Let me know if you are not on the attendee list. I will be PM'ing the address to the attendees.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8955 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
LAAVA.org 2018 Spring GTG
5/26/2018 2:00 PM
Norco, CA

Host: Jon M. @point1
9.1.4 dedicated room, Denon X8500H, JTR speakers & three Captivator 2400ULF subs, six cinema seats on platforms (for maximal TR)

Guest equipment: Funk Audio 15.h 2400W folded horn subwoofer (dual 15s), others TBD

Special guests: Jeff Permanian of JTR Speakers, others TBD

Attendees:
@Marc Alexander
@kyzer soze
@asarose247
@edoggrc51 & Fontana Mike
@RobertR
@Eventually
@Ese

Jon and I will handle the primary food. We need volunteers to bring snacks, deserts, and beverages.

Let me know if you are not on the attendee list. I will be PM'ing the address to the attendees.
What is the date? Says March 26th up above. May26th?
Jsnow17 is offline  
post #8956 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,467
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3419 Post(s)
Liked: 4193
Put me down on the list of attendees!

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #8957 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
What is the date? Says March 26th up above. May26th?
Oops! May 26th. Thanks.
Jsnow17 likes this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8958 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Jeff Permanian has confirmed so we are proceeding with the May 26 date.

2:00 PM in Norco
I will PM the address to the attendees.

In addition to @point1 's triple 2400ULFs we will also have a Funk 15.h folded horn.

I will ask @chucky7 's about possibly moving his Cap 4000ULF!
The JTR Captivator 4000ULF will be there! Attendees may want to bring earplugs and helmets.
Jsnow17 likes this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8959 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The JTR Captivator 4000ULF will be there! Attendees may want to bring earplugs and helmets.
I should be able to make it !
Jsnow17 is offline  
post #8960 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsnow17 View Post
I should be able to make it !
You are going to love the 15.h folded horn!
Jsnow17 likes this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8961 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,567
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Let me know if you are not on the attendee list. I will be PM'ing the address to the attendees.
Please add me to the list.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #8962 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Please add me to the list.
Now the GTG is almost official! @ivanpino ?
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8963 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I'd like to attend if there's still room. I'll bring the chips and some non-adult beverages.
Marc Alexander likes this.
duc135 is offline  
post #8964 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I'd like to attend if there's still room. I'll bring the chips and some non-adult beverages.
Added. :thumbsup:
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8965 of 9589 Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,567
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked: 5951
I'll bring plates, cups, napkins & utensils.
Marc Alexander likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #8966 of 9589 Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
I'll bring some supplemental drinks . .

open to suggestions

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #8967 of 9589 Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 6,885
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I'll bring some dessert.
RobertR is offline  
post #8968 of 9589 Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 1,795
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Still bummed that you guys picked a weekend that most head out of town on... and that loaded horn would have been so awesome to see in person... *sigh* hopefully we can see some massive speakers in the coming months at the next gtg.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Daniel Chaves is offline  
post #8969 of 9589 Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,269
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5282 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Los Angeles… we have a problem!

Jon had a pipe burst upstairs late last night. Major water damage. Luckily, his cinema room is not damaged (his kitchen didn't fare so well).

Chances are slim that he will be able to host on the 26th. As a contingency we will move to my place. (I know… yawn… no projector)

I revamped my upstairs media room. I have dual Funk 15.h in the front corners and Rythmik FV18 in the rear. We can place Chucky's JTR Cap 4000ULF in the rear.

I also have the downstairs with the 3rd 15.h (will be selling or trading in) l,the Cap 2400ULF and Monolith 10 nearfield. I can have the Monolith 12 & 15 there for examination and listening. I also have the XTZ Sound Sub 1x12 here for evaluation.

Jeff P. will be here as well as Hobie Sechrest, Monoprice Mololith PM (for an hour or two). My friend who is a film director may also attend.

Hopefully everyone is still interested.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #8970 of 9589 Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Jon, sorry to hear about your troubles. The joys of home ownership. I just had to help my brother deal with a pipe burst over the last several months as well.

I'm still interested in attending regardless of location. Thank you to everyone willing to open up their homes for us to meet and experience your different setups.

Last edited by duc135; 05-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
duc135 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off