Los Angeles Home Theater Group Meet - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 708Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9331 of 9671 Old 05-10-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
John Wick 3 comes out May 17 (next week) and is at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes! Anyone interested in movie + lunch, like we did with John Wick 2...?

I guess summer is officially here. The week after John Wick 3 is Aladdin. Week after that is Godzilla. Week after is Dark Phoenix. Week after is Men In Black International.
I'm in for Wick and Godzilla
ivanpino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9332 of 9671 Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Eventually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
@Eventually Pete
j
Not sure who Pete is, but sure why not lol.

Can you PM me your address I no longer have it.

Denon AVR-4500h Polk Rt-6000 (Rt-3000,Cs-1000, Rt-2000) 2 random subs Vizio M70
Eventually is offline  
post #9333 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually View Post
Not sure who Pete is, but sure why not lol.

Can you PM me your address I no longer have it.
Sorry about that. PM sent
ivanpino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9334 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Eventually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
No prob, I'll bring some drinks (soda and beer).

Denon AVR-4500h Polk Rt-6000 (Rt-3000,Cs-1000, Rt-2000) 2 random subs Vizio M70
Eventually is offline  
post #9335 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Help w/ sub placement/nulls (Burbank/Toluca Lake)

Hey guys!

I live in Burbank/Toluca Lake, and I'm somewhat new to higher end subs. I currently have an SVS PB-4000, but I'm considering making a switch to Rythmik. The main reason is that I feel the bass is muddy a lot of the times...I know with ported, I won't get as tight as sound as sealed. But I just think it needs some serious calibrations/tweaking. That being said, is there anybody in my area that can help? I haven't used REW, UMik, sub crawl etc...in regards to sub crawl, this sub is just too big for that. My room is decent size, with openings and hallways, so its a bit of an acoustic nightmare. Please reply or PM if you can help at all. I will probably have to blind buy the Rythmik, as everybody I have spoken to says it will blow the 4000 out of the water. But, before dealing w/ picking that up, installing, selling the SVS, etc., I would love to try and get the best sound out of what I currently have. THanks in advance, sorry for the long winded post!
Ethos4Lyfe is offline  
post #9336 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
Hey guys!

I live in Burbank/Toluca Lake, and I'm somewhat new to higher end subs. I currently have an SVS PB-4000, but I'm considering making a switch to Rythmik. The main reason is that I feel the bass is muddy a lot of the times...I know with ported, I won't get as tight as sound as sealed. But I just think it needs some serious calibrations/tweaking. That being said, is there anybody in my area that can help? I haven't used REW, UMik, sub crawl etc...in regards to sub crawl, this sub is just too big for that. My room is decent size, with openings and hallways, so its a bit of an acoustic nightmare. Please reply or PM if you can help at all. I will probably have to blind buy the Rythmik, as everybody I have spoken to says it will blow the 4000 out of the water. But, before dealing w/ picking that up, installing, selling the SVS, etc., I would love to try and get the best sound out of what I currently have. THanks in advance, sorry for the long winded post!
Pm sent
edoggrc51 is online now  
post #9337 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Member
 
zaywop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Someone in Costa Mesa is selling two newish Rythmik FV25HP subs, $2000 for one or $3800 for both:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...886188092.html
muscles likes this.
zaywop is offline  
post #9338 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Yes sir we have room for 1 more for the movie and anyone who wants to just hang out.

Oh man! Wish I'd seen this thread just a day or two earlier. Would love to join the next one.
zontog is offline  
post #9339 of 9671 Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
John Wick 3 comes out May 17 (next week) and is at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes! Anyone interested in movie + lunch, like we did with John Wick 2...?

I guess summer is officially here. The week after John Wick 3 is Aladdin. Week after that is Godzilla. Week after is Dark Phoenix. Week after is Men In Black International.
I can't wait for JW3 but am scheduling challenged that weekend, may have to catch it during the week.

Definitely in for Godzilla though - Saturday, June 1?
sdurani likes this.
dschulz is offline  
post #9340 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaywop View Post
Someone in Costa Mesa is selling two newish Rythmik FV25HP subs, $2000 for one or $3800 for both:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...886188092.html
He's actually a buddy of mine - I am going to demo soon hopefully. I just wanted to try and figure out if the move will be worth it since my PB-4000 has NEVER been properly calibrated. But I chatted w/ Ray for a bit today, we are gonna meet up in a couple weeks and try some things out. I listed by SVS for sale, in case somebody jumps at it, I can blind buy the one of the the Rythmiks...from everything I've read I can't go wrong, and it won't be a lateral move.
Ethos4Lyfe is offline  
post #9341 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zontog View Post
Oh man! Wish I'd seen this thread just a day or two earlier. Would love to join the next one.
Well the good news is that we will be having movie nights more often now. These last 2 have been a blast. We were up till past 1am last night.
ivanpino is offline  
post #9342 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Can't do the 11th, but if that's the best date go for it & I'll catch you at the next.
I guess we can start planning the next one for June.
ivanpino is offline  
post #9343 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,425
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
TY, Ivan
and the other usual suspects. .
reminds me of what a lucky man I am . .
as Iris said, "Talk nerdy to me'- she had a good time , interesting insights to "other" movie fans takes
remember she grew up in La as a impressionable girl during the 'golden age',
The sound great - wrt impact, clarity , panning- good work done well
June has good possibilities

and the chapman Stick
here's a taste


DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #9344 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
phatfreeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zontog View Post
Oh man! Wish I'd seen this thread just a day or two earlier. Would love to join the next one.
Well the good news is that we will be having movie nights more often now. These last 2 have been a blast. We were up till past 1am last night.
Thanks again for hosting Ivan! It was great seeing you all again! Them flamethrowers!!!

My HT: 7.3.4 Denon x4300h + denon stereo amp, Hsu HB1-MK2(6), HC1-MK2, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), dual Rythmik fv25hp, b1200d, 65" LG OLEDB7A, xbone s, ps4 pro.
Classroom HT: 7.2.4 Onkyo TX-NR747, JBL L5 (LR), HSU HC-1 MK2(C), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), Pioneer SP-C22 (2-Surrounds), monoprice 6.5" towers (2-Rear surrounds), svs pb12+/2, svs pc13, Epson Powerlite 99WH
phatfreeza is offline  
post #9345 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Eventually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post
Them flamethrowers!!!
Talk about a missed opportunity, we should have made up some flaming shots after!

Denon AVR-4500h Polk Rt-6000 (Rt-3000,Cs-1000, Rt-2000) 2 random subs Vizio M70
Eventually is offline  
post #9346 of 9671 Old 05-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Member
 
Eventually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Guys thanks for letting me know about Spiderman.

Got tickets for 4th of July, great way to start off the holiday.

Even managed Burbank Dolby 9:30 AM.

Denon AVR-4500h Polk Rt-6000 (Rt-3000,Cs-1000, Rt-2000) 2 random subs Vizio M70
Eventually is offline  
post #9347 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,996
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Well the good news is that we will be having movie nights more often now. These last 2 have been a blast. We were up till past 1am last night.
Thanx for hosting. Can't believe we were up so late. Good movie, good company.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #9348 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,996
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
I chatted w/ Ray for a bit today, we are gonna meet up in a couple weeks and try some things out.
You're in good hands. Remember the 3 most important things for good bass: location, location, location. Adjusting subwoofer placement and main listening position don't cost anything. Bass nulls can be minimized using placement, peaks can be pulled down with EQ.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #9349 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
phatfreeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 48
so, we gonna watch john wick 3 this weekend? I have a $4 atom ticket burning a hole in my pocket

My HT: 7.3.4 Denon x4300h + denon stereo amp, Hsu HB1-MK2(6), HC1-MK2, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), dual Rythmik fv25hp, b1200d, 65" LG OLEDB7A, xbone s, ps4 pro.
Classroom HT: 7.2.4 Onkyo TX-NR747, JBL L5 (LR), HSU HC-1 MK2(C), Pioneer SP-T22A-LR(4), Pioneer SP-C22 (2-Surrounds), monoprice 6.5" towers (2-Rear surrounds), svs pb12+/2, svs pc13, Epson Powerlite 99WH
phatfreeza is offline  
post #9350 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,996
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 6292
For John Wick 3 matinee and lunch afterwords, what would be better: Saturday or Sunday.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #9351 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SoCal HiDez
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Well the good news is that we will be having movie nights more often now. These last 2 have been a blast. We were up till past 1am last night.
Sorry I couldn't make it guys...
I got caught up in a golf ball sized hale storm on my way. The freeway was at a dead stop!!

Next time for sure!!!

Sounds like you guys had a great time...

Looking forward to checking out Ivan's theater!
sdurani likes this.
WOKNROX is offline  
post #9352 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,425
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Saturday

but
I do have a (already paid for)dinner dance that evening, so gotta be in tustin by 5:30-ish

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #9353 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 600
THX Ultimate Cinema

THX has decided to join the Premium Large Format cinema race, with a set of projection and sound specs and a branded experience similar to Dolby Cinema and IMAX. Their first location is the already awesome Village in Westwood, down by UCLA.

I was skeptical at the announcement, but have since heard from someone deeply knowledgable in this space (and who works for a competitor, so with reason to be skeptical) that the end result is very, very good.

Currently playing Avengers: Endgame, but maybe a good spot to see Godzilla at the end of the month?
dschulz is offline  
post #9354 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,996
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7255 Post(s)
Liked: 6292
What's the parking situation like for the Village in Westwood? Heck, I'd go just to see the latest THX trailer.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #9355 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
if anyone is interested i have the new monoprice monolith thx speakers (mini towers and center) set up in my bedroom for a week.
they sound really great. love them



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34188

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34189



if anyone is interested in hosting id be willing to drive them over so others can listen to them.
preferably saturday or the next. before i move out of los angeles.
sdurani likes this.
mariogonzalezzz is offline  
post #9356 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
What's the parking situation like for the Village in Westwood? Heck, I'd go just to see the latest THX trailer.
Not great (as in, not free), but there are garages and surface lots scattered around the neighborhood; you can usually get out for $5 or so, maybe $10. Lots of dining options as well.

In a few years the Purple Line subway will get us there, but that's still a few years out...
dschulz is offline  
post #9357 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
THX has decided to join the Premium Large Format cinema race, with a set of projection and sound specs and a branded experience similar to Dolby Cinema and IMAX. Their first location is the already awesome Village in Westwood, down by UCLA.

I was skeptical at the announcement, but have since heard from someone deeply knowledgable in this space (and who works for a competitor, so with reason to be skeptical) that the end result is very, very good.

Currently playing Avengers: Endgame, but maybe a good spot to see Godzilla at the end of the month?

Is the projection laser?
ivanpino is offline  
post #9358 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
if anyone is interested i have the new monoprice monolith thx speakers (mini towers and center) set up in my bedroom for a week.
they sound really great. love them



https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34188

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=34189



if anyone is interested in hosting id be willing to drive them over so others can listen to them.
preferably saturday or the next. before i move out of los angeles.

Are you selling or just want others to hear them?
ivanpino is offline  
post #9359 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Are you selling or just want others to hear them?

want others to hear them.
mariogonzalezzz is offline  
post #9360 of 9671 Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
Is the projection laser?
Dual laser projectors (and the content mastered specifically for them). Immersive sound, but without specifying what exactly they mean by immersive sound. AuroMax? DTS:X? Who knows? The Village was Atmos previously and it'd be weird to rip out their very good Atmos install for something else, but maybe they want to have as much branding differentiation away from Dolby Cinema as possible?
dschulz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off